2019 Texas Longhorns fall practice thread

Machinator

7 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

I'd say it depends on his athleticism. If he can grow up to 300 pounds and be a better than average OT, great. If not, then he could be a massive, bull of a tight end. 

i would love a gronk type tight end.  we don't have gdgd scheming and calling plays so we would actually effectively use said tight end.

28 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If Wiley can grow into an OT, his ceiling would be much, much higher there than TE.  Idk why anyone wouldn’t prefer OT over TE for him, assuming he could get to OT size with good weight. 

Timing/IRR. His ability to contribute at a playable level would be much earlier at tight end than at OL, where he'd take several years to learn the position

3 hours ago, sunset87 said:

I mentioned this possibility in the 2019 Recruiting thread.  I could see him taking the Eric Winston route.

I think there are some posters here that will not like this...

I stood next to Eric Winston when he was in high school, and the only thing I could think was why on earth is this guy not an OT. Plus he had hands of stone and had numerous drops in the game. 

I could see Wiley going either way, but he is a much better athlete than Winston ever was, which means they could give him a longer look at TE. 

IT mod Q&A (EN = Eric Nahlin, JW = Justin Wells)

Q: If they shelve Eagles for W1 that puts Burt at Z? Could be a nice coming out party for him.

EN: Yes, that would be his shot.

Q: How is the staff feeling about Parker Braun's readiness to handle our pass blocking schemes?

EN: He's been "solid" as a pass blocker. Not as good as a run blocker, to be expected. He's going to be a real upgrade over Vahe. More than fans realize.

Q: Do you expect the starting OL for LA Tech to go: Cosmi - Braun - Shack - Kerstetter - Okafor?

EN: Yes, that's most likely. Shack should be back.

Q: Any news on [Overshown's] neck injury? Sorry if I missed any official announcement.

EN: Haven't heard anything which is probably a good sign. I'll check further. Probably a stinger.

Q: Seems like every year we hear pretty glowing things coming out of camp about most positions and week 1 the last two years there have been huge issues. What's one area of the team we've heard positive feedback throughout camp on that you're not sold on just yet?

EN: Linebacker is my greatest concern, more so than corners.

Q: i still can't believe Okafor is RT and Kerstetter would be guard. I know the coaches clearly know and watch them every day, but i have always thought that should flip.

EN: Same. I think it stems from perimeter run blocking. That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Q: As of today, which 2019 enrollees do you think will lose their redshirts this season?

EN: Whittington, Smith, Owens, Watson, Tillman, Sweat The Jucos other than Willie Tyler

Q: You've mentioned the DB's lacking ball skills (like you I'm hoping that's a credit to Sam & WRs) - so, who do you think has the best ball skills after Caden?

EN: The safeties are fine (well, Jones has always struggled unless it's a punt), it's the corners getting eaten up. Best CB ball skills are Green. Foster has good ball skills.

Q: Will LSU want to be here?

EN: They'll be resting up for a DAUNTING SECw schedule. THEYRE BUILT FOR THE SEC NOT THE PANSY PASSING LEAGUE

Q: I'm worried about Okafor going up against Chaisson.

EN: They'll scheme it if they need to.

Q: Eric -- if I remember correctly you thought Texas should be playing for the Big 12 Championship with an outside shot at the Playoff before preseason practice started. Have you heard anything over the past few weeks that would cause you to be more hesitant in that prediction (or feel more strongly about it)?

EN: I feel the same. Only mildly concerned about differentiating between real playmakers and zero-sum.

Q: 3rd and 3 or less in the 4th quarter of a close game. What's the play call?

EN: Sam, play #8. Why would that change?

Q: Was hoping that the offense has reached another level and we could take that load off of Sam.

EN: They'll throw it in that circumstance too but no team gets so good it moves away from what works.

Q: How much Casey Thompson playing time do we see next weekend?

JW: Maybe a little.

EN: Hopefully he gets a full quarter.

Q: Any staff concerns regarding Sterns and Ingram's durability and health issues? Or do they view them as random "its football, it happens" sort of things?

JW: There’s always a concern with injuries to key guys. Think the staff recognizes it and reduces their contact, like they did this fall camp.

EN: Yep. (but not so much they brought in an extra running back)

Q: Do you still think Anthony Cook and Jalen Green will be the two starters for LSU?

EN: Green for sure and probably on Cook.

Q: Speaking of punt returns, who returns punts this season?

EN: I'm drawing a blank here. I'll circle back.

JW: Jake Smith, D’Shawn Jamison, and Jordan Whittington.

Q: What percentage of defensive snaps do you think we'll see Chris Brown on the field? Seems as if he's too good to not give him time. He looks like an absolute man child.

EN: Fans love the rocked up guy who hits hard...but he can actually play. I hope they make him a big part of the rotation but his playing time will be dependent on how much they use the cowboy personnel. We want him to get real snaps otherwise I could see him looking to start somewhere after getting his degree. Who could blame him if he did so?

Q: I know Okafor’s biggest struggle is pass protection but has he atleast gotten better at it? This whole time I’ve been hoping it was just letting him get the start in camp as an upperclassman and then eventually Kerstetter bumps out and Angilau moves in at OG. I think Okafor starting at RT is an underrated concern out of camp.

EN: It could be the opposite. Could be a good thing. He improved pass pro even during the spring. I mentioned that late in spring practice. I think he'll be league average but if he doesn't get things done they'll switch things up.

Q: Seems like 90% of fans swear Boyce sucks and can't improve. What say you about his upside left, and development?

EN: Fans are notorious for allowing a first impression to color the long-term opinion. It's emotional and dumb. Sometimes they're right, often they're wrong, but it's a bad process for developing an opinion on ability. It's also unfair to someone 100x's more athletic than the opinion holder. Give them a chance. If a player is lazy or a bad person we'll bomb on him together. He can cover and is showing more physicality. He'll still need game reps to round into form.

Q: You guessed the starting LBs in 2020, who are your 3 projected starters at WR in 20?

EN: Marcus Washington at X, Smith at H, Eagles at Z. It could be Epps at X but Washington offers more route versatility. I'm also rigid to my eval and predicted him starting post-Collin.

Q:  So is the main question now is whether Jake Smith can perform in big-time games? Duvernay has obviously proven this time and time again. Do you think Smith will get meaningful rotational reps with Duve against LSU do you think that's a big game so early in the season Duve will hold 80-90% of the reps?

EN: I think Duvernay is the starter because he's better right now. I think you're missing the value in being able to read defenses and being the same page as the QB. I do think Smith will get real reps versus LSU. 

Q: I assume the staff also trusts Duvernay as a blocker much more than they do Smith.

EN: Of course, that too. I think we've mentioned the staff has told Smith he needs to become a more competitive blocker. If we didn't mention it I had it in notes. Herman has been on him personally.

Q: What do you see as the biggest holes on the potential 2020 two-deep for a national title run? Let's assume: 1) Both Sams return for their 4th year 2) Derrian Brown plays (in a minor role), Floyd does not 3) Everyone currently committed in the 2020 class signs and makes it to campus, plus Alfred Collins and Ty Jordan

EN: 'll probably be a little concerned about the right side of the OL versus good teams. I'll be concerned about having a physical run game unless Ehlinger is involved versus good fronts. Fans will worry about replacing Collin but I think it will be plug and play. Texas winning the natty may come down to the talent on the headsets more than on the field.

Q: What grade would you give the offense last year and what would you project their grade for this year?

EN: 7 and 9. I think they're going to score a bunch of points. They certainly think they're going to score a lot of points.

Q: Chances that Wiley grows into an offensive tackle?

EN: Nah. He'd have to hold bad weight and that's not his body type.

Q: Do you think we'll start to see fewer traditional recievers rostered due to an uptick in RB/HB, HB/YB, and YB/WR hybrids, while still rostering 4-5 RBs and 2-4 traditional TEs?

EN: I think it's an easy place to hit evals and supplement on the waiver wire so maybe so. You also don't have to red-shirt many of them. It's a position you can cut corners and as you alluded too they love TE's. Find elite guys and keep the number low. Guys like Quay Davis and Earle if they can get him need to be thrown on the field immediately.

Q: Wouldn’t [Chris Brown] be in line to take over for Brandon Jones next year?

EN: I doubt it. I think they'll put BJ at boundary and Sterns to the field.

Q: Toughest game on the schedule?

JW: LSU or @ ISU

EN: It's LSU because UT can't overpower them. Going to have to win with tactics. 

Q: Biggest surprise player for the season?

JW: Jalen Green (DEF), Malcolm Epps (OFF)

EN: Depends on expectations. I think J. Green is going to ball out. Maybe Dele looks good as a two-down backer (not sure).

Q: What needs to happen specifically for the team to go like 12-1 and win the Big 12? 

JW: Scoring more than the opponent 12 times. 

EN: Show up every week like you're an underdog. When they show up they win, other than maybe OU last year where I think the coaches got worked.

Q: Biggest weakness of the team going into the season?

JW:  RB depth. 

EN: It's either identity on defense (they may be happy with what they have but I'm not feeling great dammit) or depth on offense.

Q: Read elsewhere that Jacoby Jones has been impressive with his play but that he's in the doghouse for sucker-punching a helmet-less Kerstetter. Rumor or truth here?

EN: Sucker-punching is usually an interpretation from the punchee's side of things.

I watched Eric Winston play in the state championship twice with Ced(RIP). I saw nothing that showed he had hands of stone. He was clearly going to outgrow TE though. He was 270+ as a high school TE but was very athletic and light on his feet. He wanted to play TE and went to Miami for that reason, following the TE greats of that era. Butch Davis heavily recruited West Texas earlier and landed Bubba Franks from Big Spring several years earlier. Bubba was Freshman AA at Miami and drafted 13th overall and became a pro-bowl TE with Green Bay. John Parchman(Midland Lee Head Coach) was on very good terms with Butch Davis.

1 minute ago, sith_horn said:

There seems to be conflicting reports on who will start CB along with Jalen Green. During the spring it was all Cook. Then in fall camp it's been implied to "really" be an open battle and that Cook was inconsistent.

Cook has not had a good fall camp. Entering August the easy bet was Cook and Green (aside from Week 1 when Cook has to serve his first-half suspension).

9 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

If Wiley can grow into an OT, his ceiling would be much, much higher there than TE.  Idk why anyone wouldn’t prefer OT over TE for him, assuming he could get to OT size with good weight. 

herman won a ring in columbus with two TE that went about 6’6” 260.  he wants that kind of TE.  wiley is the best chance of that on the roster. 

54 minutes ago, futureman said:

herman won a ring in columbus with two TE that went about 6’6” 260.  he wants that kind of TE.  wiley is the best chance of that on the roster. 

Both went in the 3rd round, he also had another one at 6'5' 250. Liebrock and Wiley will both be in that range next season.

9 hours ago, crash_davis said:

i would love a gronk type tight end.  we don't have gdgd scheming and calling plays so we would actually effectively use said tight end.

You mean like jermichael Finley, David Thomas, or bo scaife? Go after gdgd for some stuff but do we have a better run of TE anywhere else?

1 hour ago, markstanco said:
2 hours ago, Newy25 said:
I don’t why but I loved that video. For the same unexplainable reason one would like Nelson’s “After the Rain” that video has sentimental value to me. 

I hope that first pass was having a fun day with a bunch of 13 year olds because the CB was 5'8" tops.

Jamison maybe?

8 hours ago, markstanco said:
10 hours ago, Newy25 said:
I don’t why but I loved that video. For the same unexplainable reason one would like Nelson’s “After the Rain” that video has sentimental value to me. 

I hope that first pass was having a fun day with a bunch of 13 year olds because the CB was 5'8" tops.

That was Epps (6'6") over Jamison (a generous 5'10")

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

So which boosters house is that.  And are they willing to adopt a 40yr old?

Think it's Bill Duvall's Ranch on Lake Austin 🤘  

Here's an old tweet:

So thankful for the friendship and support of Bill Duvall and family. Had a great two days at our coaches retreat at his beautiful ranch on Lake Austin. Now it’s time for the wives appreciation dinner. Then can’t wait to see the team Thursday. #HookEm

6:53 PM · Jul 31, 2018
Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1