Auburn University is redesigning its logo

satyanash

"For most people, horizontal lines represent a sense of stability and calm. Organizations which wish to appeal to the feminine side will often use horizontal lines as part of their designs, incorporating a softening effect on otherwise bold and angular designs.
Horizontal lines can also represent dynamism and movement. For example, delivery companies may add horizontal lines to their logos to convey a sense of motion and speed. By using layers of horizontal lines, companies can create a sense of calm and tranquility, as well as an image of community."
ibm-logo.jpg
Old_AT&T_Logo.png

7166d56763218c38f65a7ff6aabff1f8.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

"For most people, horizontal lines represent a sense of stability and calm. Organizations which wish to appeal to the feminine side will often use horizontal lines as part of their designs, incorporating a softening effect on otherwise bold and angular designs.

Horizontal lines can also represent dynamism and movement. For example, delivery companies may add horizontal lines to their logos to convey a sense of motion and speed. By using layers of horizontal lines, companies can create a sense of calm and tranquility, as well as an image of community."

spacer.png

spacer.png

I did 30 years with IBM. You would not believe the number of rules and guidelines I had to follow in terms of using that logo. And since I was customer facing I dealt with it for years. In addition, at one point, we were required to proof check all our presentations for trademark and registered trademark designations. My main presentation was over 1000 (yep 1000 charts) since I used hotlinks to jump around. Customers never saw but 50-70 charts but I had a lot of them to check

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

I did 30 years with IBM. You would not believe the number of rules and guidelines I had to follow in terms of using that logo. And since I was customer facing I dealt with it for years. In addition, at one point, we were required to proof check all our presentations for trademark and registered trademark designations. My main presentation was over 1000 (yep 1000 charts) since I used hotlinks to jump around. Customers never saw but 50-70 charts but I had a lot of them to check

Have you got your voting rights back?

10 hours ago, satyanash said:

You think this is bad, you should have seen some of the proposed redesigns from the last time Auburn tried to change its logo:

spacer.png

I can hear the pitch on the left second row. "See, we prepare students for the future.  So the logo is like traveling down a road toward that future.  And it's totally deconstructed to show how modern and forward we are."

The bottom right was clearly the favorite of the software engineers.  The middle-right totally looks like a multilevel marketing opportunity is coming.

Why does a university with a national championship in the last decade and in the top 20 in merchandising sales need a re-brand anyway?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, satyanash said:

"visual identity system" are you kidding me??

That's actually a real thing! Used poorly here.

It means the logo/typeface/colors/photography style/etc. all together.

For example, when Tennessee did a very similar low-touch rebrand (just for athletics), they started with an audit like this: https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.documentcloud.org/documents/1687171/nike-branding-audit.pdf

Then they ended up with this: https://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_identity_and_uniforms_for_university_of_tennessee_athletics_by_nike.php

Edited by texifornia

Copperplate is an overused typeface that screams "I didn't want to spend any money on a real design process and making anything I write look unique so I picked a 'fancy' font from my Microsoft Word menu". 
That said, the new one is like Trajan (KU's typeface), but the letterspacing is awkwardly uneven - the first U and B are very close while the second U feels a mile away. The A is off on its own adventure. It's not great for that word.
Getting rid of the dumb whitespace in the logo is great and should have been done years ago.

When I had my SEO company a branding consultant/total grifter I sort of knew charged a law firm $25k for a “rebrand” that included clip art slicks, a logo he sourced from Fiverr or 99, and Garamond.
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

When I had my SEO company a branding consultant/total grifter I sort of knew charged a law firm $25k for a “rebrand” that included clip art slicks, a logo he sourced from Fiverr or 99, and Garamond. 

I so very deeply respect the hustle

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

Alabama aggie is changing their helmet logos?

I have a friend whose daughter will be attending Auburn as a Psychology major this fall. Why would a TX high school grad go there to get a liberal arts degree? I can only assume a significant monetary inducement was included in her scholarship package. No, she's not an athlete. 

You know the rule...

17 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I can hear the pitch on the left second row. "See, we prepare students for the future.  So the logo is like traveling down a road toward that future.  And it's totally deconstructed to show how modern and forward we are."

The bottom right was clearly the favorite of the software engineers.  The middle-right totally looks like a multilevel marketing opportunity is coming.

Why does a university with a national championship in the last decade and in the top 20 in merchandising sales need a re-brand anyway?

This.....

It's the same as dealing with upper management that wants to "add value" to a situation. Not going to turn out well and they are gone when it implodes

On 8/9/2019 at 8:09 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

This right here.  The company (16,000+ employees) that I work for introduced some new technology for our equipment.  We wanted to make a big splash with this so we hired an outside marketing firm to come up with a "name" for the technology and a logo for it despite having our own marketing department.  I had the opportunity to see all of the proposals that were being presented to our senior management team and BOD.  They all looked like they were taken from a grab bag of ideas and were not appealing at all.  I went to my office and sketched out a design in about 15 minutes along with a acronym for the system.  My design made it to the final cut but since I was not paid a gazillion dollars to come up with the design it ultimately was not selected despite the vast majority of people preferring my entry.

2 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

This right here.  The company (16,000+ employees) that I work for introduced some new technology for our equipment.  We wanted to make a big splash with this so we hired an outside marketing firm to come up with a "name" for the technology and a logo for it despite having our own marketing department.  I had the opportunity to see all of the proposals that were being presented to our senior management team and BOD.  They all looked like they were taken from a grab bag of ideas and were not appealing at all.  I went to my office and sketched out a design in about 15 minutes along with a acronym for the system.  My design made it to the final cut but since I was not paid a gazillion dollars to come up with the design it ultimately was not selected despite the vast majority of people preferring my entry.

Grapes a little tart?