Auburn University is redesigning its logo

satyanash

12 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Hahahaha they're also changing the official font from Copperplate to 'Sabon'. What are you doing, Auburn?

spacer.png

Copperplate is an overused typeface that screams "I didn't want to spend any money on a real design process and making anything I write look unique so I picked a 'fancy' font from my Microsoft Word menu". 

That said, the new one is like Trajan (KU's typeface), but the letterspacing is awkwardly uneven - the first U and B are very close while the second U feels a mile away. The A is off on its own adventure. It's not great for that word.

Getting rid of the dumb whitespace in the logo is great and should have been done years ago.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, AUinHsv said:

Dang - figured the offseason was over..  I didn't mind it until i saw the view on the helmet. Warming up the torch and looking for a pitchfork

You think this is bad, you should have seen some of the proposed redesigns from the last time Auburn tried to change its logo:

spacer.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

Copperplate is an overused typeface that screams "I didn't want to spend any money on a real design process and making anything I write look unique so I picked a 'fancy' font from my Microsoft Word menu". 

That said, the new one is like Trajan (KU's typeface), but the letterspacing is awkwardly uneven - the first U and B are very close while the second U feels a mile away. The A is off on its own adventure. It's not great for that word.

Getting rid of the dumb whitespace in the logo is great and should have been done years ago.

Yeah, the kerning is unforgivable. Copperplate was in vogue in the early '90s and looks dated today. Sabon could be better if they knew how to use it correctly.

The new logo is a nice cleanup, but honestly, it's one of those changes you just make and don't announce.

Apple CEO Tim Cook graduated from Auburn. I wonder what he thinks. Is he on Surly?

Edited by Born Burnt
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BornOrange said:

I interpret the shrinking of the U in the logo as making a broader statement that they are de-emphasizing the University part of Auburn.

"Funny, I thought Auburn was a team, not a University."

Auburn is literally only a university so that they can have an NCAA football team.  

25 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Bottom right is 80's awesome. Awesome to the max.

"For most people, horizontal lines represent a sense of stability and calm. Organizations which wish to appeal to the feminine side will often use horizontal lines as part of their designs, incorporating a softening effect on otherwise bold and angular designs.

Horizontal lines can also represent dynamism and movement. For example, delivery companies may add horizontal lines to their logos to convey a sense of motion and speed. By using layers of horizontal lines, companies can create a sense of calm and tranquility, as well as an image of community."

spacer.png

spacer.png

Alabama aggie is changing their helmet logos?

I have a friend whose daughter will be attending Auburn as a Psychology major this fall. Why would a TX high school grad go there to get a liberal arts degree? I can only assume a significant monetary inducement was included in her scholarship package. No, she's not an athlete. 

12 minutes ago, retread said:

Some whippersnapper got a promotion and decided he wanted to change things. Old logo was classic and very recognizable. /getoffmylawyellsatclouds

New logo is almost the same as the old logo, just even simpler and easier to read on a helmet. It should be old man approved.

Edited by texifornia

"For most people, horizontal lines represent a sense of stability and calm. Organizations which wish to appeal to the feminine side will often use horizontal lines as part of their designs, incorporating a softening effect on otherwise bold and angular designs.
Horizontal lines can also represent dynamism and movement. For example, delivery companies may add horizontal lines to their logos to convey a sense of motion and speed. By using layers of horizontal lines, companies can create a sense of calm and tranquility, as well as an image of community."
ibm-logo.jpg
Old_AT&T_Logo.png