The Righteous Gemstones (HBO)

Pancho

Just watched the first couple of episodes tonight, but the writers and everybody involved with the show do such an excellent job with even the little things. 

In the first episode scene with BJ and Judy where he is wearing that pink suit, the shirt he has on buttons up like a woman's shirt with the buttons on the right and the button holes on the left, while the shirt Judy is wearing buttons up like a men's shirt with the buttons on the right and the button holes on the left.

The scene with the militia in episode two, the militia folks are calling the Gemstones charlatans and such, and actually doing and saying things that the church is supposed to be doing, except for the fact that they are a militia with the stars and bars flag of the confederacy (not the battle flag, but the actual flag of the Confederacy) hanging in the background. 

One thing the show does well is the music.  Whenever a movie/show incorporates fictional music, I can't help but judge its believability. Like, "is this "hit" song really good enough to be a hit?"  "Is this band really good enough to be this famous?" Aimee-Leigh Gemstone and Baby Billy are totally believable as a famous christian country duo.  Looked up the actress who plays Aimee Leigh and I see she's played by a legit country singer. That checks out.

I mean, tell me this isn't a fuckin' banger:

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Hook 'Em 1

I mean this as politely as possible, but what the f*** is this show? Vice Principals was a dark comedy. This is a piece of shit in comparison.

I don’t even know what they’re parodying. The outfits, hair, and make up are so over the top, that they could never been confused for any mega church personality. Maybe the Bakkers, but they’ve been irrelevant for a generation. 

I’ll be the first to admit I have some Danny McBride fatigue. He’s the same guy yelling big ass titties in Tropic Thunder in 2008. He’s a one note comedic actor and hasn’t improved at all in 15 years at HBO. 

This is a show that has managed to waste Goggins and John Goodman. It takes a special kind of incompetence to pull that off.

35 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I mean this as politely as possible, but what the f*** is this show? Vice Principals was a dark comedy. This is a piece of shit in comparison.

I don’t even know what they’re parodying. The outfits, hair, and make up are so over the top, that they could never been confused for any mega church personality. Maybe the Bakkers, but they’ve been irrelevant for a generation. 

I’ll be the first to admit I have some Danny McBride fatigue. He’s the same guy yelling big ass titties in Tropic Thunder in 2008. He’s a one note comedic actor and hasn’t improved at all in 15 years at HBO. 

This is a show that has managed to waste Goggins and John Goodman. It takes a special kind of incompetence to pull that off.

Were I to write a term paper on it, the title would be something like:

"Hayseed Succession: A parody of 80s-style evangelical grifters preaching the prosperity gospel through their massive media empire to exploit a southern culture on the skids while having the time of their lives"

Now, I don't know how old you are, or what kind of churches you've attended, or where you grew up. But having been a Texas teenager in the 1980s and growing up in a rural Southern Baptist church in a very conservative family, I think I'm allowed to relish every single second of them mocking that particular brand of hypocrisy known to those of us who suffered (and saw) through it.

Danny McBride, Walter Goggins, and Edi Patterson are all Gen Xers who grew up in Southern states, and I'm absolutely sure they made fun of the televangelist grifters the same as my friends and me and cracked the same kind of jokes we did sitting around while switching channels about those obvious con artists that somehow, some people took seriously.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I respect what you said but disagree with just about all of it. 

The show is a comedy. Right? Maybe not a dark comedy but it's pretty funny. Stop comparing shit. It's the thief of joy.

Also think Danny McBride has greatly improved over the years (not a high bar) and he's done it in this show. 

Goodman does an excellent job, imo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

When Uncle Baby Billy is at Cousins' Night showcasing his show and gets everybody to introduce themselves, he is walking around the table and Keefe starts to say something and UBB just says "uh uh" and keeps moving - that is one of the funniest things I have ever seen in my entire life. I have been laughing about it for nearly a week, several times a day. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Well that was dark as shit. I only laughed at Jesse’s heel click jump. The show did do an incredible job of casting the young versions of Jesse, Judy, and Kelvin.

To be perfectly honest, I don’t care for the mental health jokes. This shit is no joke, and it feels like they’re punching down. Judy could be a really funny, confident character. Don’t belittle her because she’s sick. 

Well that was dark as shit. I only laughed at Jesse’s heel click jump. The show did do an incredible job of casting the young versions of Jesse, Judy, and Kelvin.
To be perfectly honest, I don’t care for the mental health jokes. This shit is no joke, and it feels like they’re punching down. Judy could be a really funny, confident character. Don’t belittle her because she’s sick. 

You mean the mental health jokes that obviously hurt Judy’s feelings when she overheard her parents talking about it? Or when Jesse attempted his best to cheer up his sister? Not sure you interpreted those correctly.

Why do you keep watching? Why do you keep posting about it? If you don’t like it just stop.
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

You mean the mental health jokes that obviously hurt Judy’s feelings when she overheard her parents talking about it? Or when Jesse attempted his best to cheer up his sister? Not sure you interpreted those correctly.

Also it was 2000. Different time 

1 hour ago, Hozz said:

The flash back episodes always suck.

Wut? This was one of the better ones.

• Phenomenal acting from the younger versions of Jesse, Judy, Kelvin and Amber
  • Why May May tried to kill Aimee Leigh at the carnival
  • Why Peter has the limp and the scar
  • The animosity between May May and Eli over money and upbringing
  • Eli and Aimee Leigh discussing how they ruined their kids
  • The further point of Aimee Leigh being the moral center of the family but easily caught up in Eli's "scheme" even though she knew it was wrong
  • Hook 'Em 4

18 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

How do you watch this show

Probably my last post on the show. I don’t want to derka myself. 

The kids did a really good job. Young Jesse and Judy nailed their mannerisms, speech pattern, and voices. Now that they’re in the HBO Casting Family, I’ll be looking for them in other shows. They both have nice careers in front of them. 

John Goodman is too good for this show, but he showed his well known chops in this episode. Nettles again, excellent. I hope she gets more acting opportunities. 

I hope HBO gives Goggins his own stand alone show separate from McBride. Drama, comedy, doesn’t matter let him pick and let him cook. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

The virtual mama / BJ beatdown back to bakc was epic. Very well done. BJ’s lucky to be alive

Actor playing Stephen deserves an emmy

He did that for real too. Refused the prosthetic. Said he dieted and intermittent fasted to try to make his dick look bigger. They filmed in December and it was 50 degrees out so he was quite worried about shrinkage 

On 7/6/2023 at 10:44 AM, BHMCruiser said:

When Uncle Baby Billy is at Cousins' Night showcasing his show and gets everybody to introduce themselves, he is walking around the table and Keefe starts to say something and UBB just says "uh uh" and keeps moving - that is one of the funniest things I have ever seen in my entire life. I have been laughing about it for nearly a week, several times a day. 

I still laugh

2 hours ago, chainsaw said:

He really does steal every scene he's in

Kirsten Johnston is doing a similar thing.  Her throat chops are especially epic.

Though what a hypocrite - she tried to kill Aimee Leigh and now acts like the hologram is the most disrespectful thing they could do to her. 

• Hook 'Em 1