Alex Jones

Hornius Emeritus

Hmmm.

http://thehill.com/policy/technology/404826-twitter-ceo-personally-weighed-in-on-companys-handling-of-alex-jones

Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey has at times overruled or chimed in at the last second on decisions regarding controversial accounts on the platform, The Wall Street Journal reported Monday.

The news outlet reported two separate instances where Dorsey favored keeping far-right personalities on the platform. Dorsey reportedly told one person that he had overruled a decision to kick conspiracy theorist Alex Jones off the platform last month.

The Infowars founder was eventually blocked from tweeting for a week after one of his tweets was deemed to have violated the platform's rules.

The Wall Street Journal reported that Dorsey acted similarly in November 2016, telling staffers that white nationalist leader Richard Spencer should be allowed to keep one account on the site after Twitter's safety team initially kicked him and his several accounts off the platform.

I’m probably one of the few people on earth that has sympathy for the position Dorsey is in.

He is in a no win situation now and no one will thank him for doing the right thing if he does it.

Should Twitter perma ban Alex Jones?

Yeah probably, but depending on the reasoning, the consequences of  banning could outweigh the risks of keeping him on and I’m not just talking about shareholders.

Roger Stone and Milo have been perma banned from Twitter but their cases were based around harassment/stalking and no one objected to them getting booted off the platform.

With Alex Jones and disinformation, any move Dorsey makes in these decisions will piss people off.  It almost makes him part of the problem and there’s no way around it.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

BTW, Jones had some setbacks this week.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/08/30/alex-jones-request-dismissal-defamation-lawsuit-denied/1150498002/

Judge Scott Jenkins of the 53rd District Court in Austin, Texas, rejected Jones’ argument that, as a citizen exercising his First Amendment rights, he was protected from lawsuits by the Texas Citizens Participation Act.

Jones, whose Infowars media group is based in Austin, was also seeking more than $100,000 in court costs from the parents.

Instead, he faces more than $1 million in damages claimed by Leonard Pozner and Veronique De La Rosa, whose 6-year-old son, Noah, was among the 20 kids and six adults slain at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newton, Connecticut, on Dec. 14, 2012.

Earlier this month, Jones was accused in a court filing of destroying evidence by deleting web pages and video content related to the Sandy Hook carnage.

In two separate lawsuits, Sandy Hook parents said they’ve been subjected to death threats and online harassment by people who believe Jones’ baseless statements. Pozner and De La Rosa said the constant stalking has forced them to move seven times.

Alex's wife is getting her two cents in.

The Huffington Post reported that Jones’ former wife, Kelly Jones, offered her support to parents outside the courthouse during Thursday’s hearing, carrying a sign that read, “Honk 4 Sandy Hook kids.’’

“Texans do care about justice, we care about bullies,” Kelly Jones was quoted as saying. “We’re a strong state and we don’t put up with people bullying kids or parents of murdered schoolkids. We’re not gonna tolerate that.’’

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Roger Stone and Milo have been perma banned from Twitter but their cases were based around harassment/stalking and no one objected to them getting booted off the platform.

Jone's cases are harassment/stalking, even if they are referred to as "defamation". He's in court here in Austin right now because of it.

When you spend years calling people liars online, and you generate videos and podcasts and YouTube videos where you call these people liars, yeah, it's harassment and online stalking.  Especially when we are talking about the parents of dead kids.

Nobody gave a shit when Jones rambled about FEMA coffins or people dressing up in costume and jerking off to wooden owl statues in the woods.

But when Jones's began directly attacking innocent individuals, claiming that they didn't actually bury their little children, etc., yeah that's a line that's clearly been crossed.

You’ll get no disagreement from me.  I think Jones should be banned.  My point was that the consequences of banning Jones and others like him could create more problems than they solve.  You see that with Dorsey getting called to the Hill by conservatives crying about Twitter suppressing voices on the right.  It feeds into to their victimization narrative. 

It’s a lot like the idea of banning Trump.  Sure, he violated the terms of service plenty and even threatened nuclear war on Twitter but the backlash of banning POTUS from the platform would outweigh the risks of keeping him on.

It’s a challenging situation for Dorsey, that’s my observation.  He should ban Alex Jones but I see why he’s hesitant. 

7 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

You’ll get no disagreement from me.  I think Jones should be banned.  My point was that the consequences of banning Jones and others like him could create more problems than they solve.  You see that with Dorsey getting called to the Hill by conservatives crying about Twitter suppressing voices on the right.  It feeds into to their victimization narrative. 

It’s a challenging situation for Dorsey, that’s my observation.  He should ban Alex Jones but I see why he’s hesitant. 

It's not a problem/consequence with banning Jones, it's a problem with the "conservatives" on Capitol Hill. 

None of them would raise a single finger at the thought of say a Muslim who advocated for Sharia Law in the US being banned on twitter.  In fact, they would take to twitter to congratulate Dorsey and Co.

This should not be a challenging situation. 

If you owned a billboard company, and I wanted a billboard that bitched about higher taxes and some proposition, you'd probably take my money and run it.  If I wanted a billboard that mentioned The Goddess Balal was coming to earth to take us into space in two months, you'd be hesitant since there might be people mocking your company for taking the money.  You would probably try and push me off to a small road somewhere, and you would probably try and make sure your branding was not very visible, but you're still open to taking my money.

If I said I wanted a billboard claiming that Tom and Janice Smith of Bum Fuck, Texas, were liars and actors, and that their child wasn't really murdered in a school shooting, warning bells are going to go off.  You'll spend a few minutes on the internet, and find out that I'm lying and that their child was murdered.

You are going to tell me to go pound sand, because you want nothing to do with what you know will be a nasty and expensive lawsuit, and you do not want your business associated with me in any way.  You also know that you could find your contract with the owner of the land not being renewed, because they will be furious to be associated with such a thing.

I wish people like these idiots calling Dorsey to Washington would go fund their own social media platform and leave everybody else alone.

• Like 1

The amusing thing about Jones is that he had a sweet gravy train paying him millions for selling prepper supplies and male vitamin enhancements to  his followers.  If he had just stuck to his tales of FEMA coffins and death camps, George W ordering 9/11, and millionaires jerking it to totems in the woods, he would have been just fine.

Instead, between these lawsuits and his ex-wife, he's going to lose pretty much everything, all because he had to go after the parents of dead kids.  He couldn't leave well enough alone.  

He's the guy who went 250mph in a boat, and people told him if he went any faster, he would probably die.  Does he sit back, say "I went 250mph in a boat, and it was awesome, and I can stop here and rake in money"?  Nope, he has to go faster and then wonder why the boat's lifting in the air and why it's disintegrating around him.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.

You planted the seeds of this shit, watered and fertilized the hell out of them, and now it's the only crop you've got.  Eat up, boys.

100%. The Republican Party cannot win elections without pandering to the worst people this country has to offer. It's been going on since Nixon adopted the Southern Strategy. Lee Atwater knew it and even said it out loud. The problem for the GOP is, this group is nearly 100% white and that portion of the United States population is getting smaller by the day while the GOP is doing next to nothing to attract non-white voters. In fact, they have doubled down on alienating non-whites and suppressing their votes in order cater to a shrinking voter base. Moreover, young people hate Republicans. They've lost a generation of voters that they're never getting back.

Have fun in the wilderness, fellas. Enjoy this while you can. 

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

As Alex gets increasingly marginalized by Twitter, Facebook etc.. he's going to have to resort to ever-more outrageous chicanery to keep his name in the spotlight.

ever more outrageous? More so that gay frogs and lizard people and goblins with bellies? This guy is an entertainer hovering around politics the same way WWE is entertainment that hovers around the category of sports.

2 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Congrats on cultivating this shit GOP.  

What a complete whiny bitch Jones is.  No wonder he and Trump love each other.  Would have been so much better if Rubio would have answered, You're damn right I'm threatening physical force against you if you keep putting your hands on me.

3 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

As Alex gets increasingly marginalized by Twitter, Facebook etc.. he's going to have to resort to ever-more outrageous chicanery to keep his name in the spotlight.

I honestly thought he was going to pick a fight for a few seconds.  That video is the last gasp of a man trying to stay relevant. 

And Jones is aging rapidly.  

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

I honestly thought he was going to pick a fight for a few seconds.  That video is the last gasp of a man trying to stay relevant. 

And Jones is aging rapidly.  

Yeah, Jones has gotten pretty good at being an annoying ass and enticing people to start shit with him and cause drama.  And he really loves the shoulder pat.

Edited by SpiralOut

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Never been a Rubio fan, but if he had kicked Jones's ass I would buy him a beer. 

I seriously would have donated a hundred to the inevitable Go Fund Me for Rubio's bail money if he'd knocked that fat windbag out.  And I can't stand Rubio.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AbeFroman said:

Bye bitch

Yep.   Good.

Sorry, a society can and should impose basic norms.  When a child is having a screaming tantrum in a restaurant, a decent manager asks the parent to take the kid outside.

We don't have to indulge raging assholes having fucking conniption fits among us.  Alex Jones is free to continue having his conniption fits -- he just can't come into our collective room and do it.

If he wants to ask hard questions -- even about odd and bizarre stuff -- all of that can be done like a decent, civilized human being. Without insults, loud interruption, yelling, attacks, etc.  It's fucking rude behavior, and being an asshole is not a sacred right in a functioning society.  Instead, it's something that should be punished and shunned by social norms.  The shunning has commenced.  You've been barred from this establishment for your bad behavior, Mr. Jones, and you are not welcome back [door closing in his face].

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.   Good.

Sorry, a society can and should impose basic norms.  When a child is having a screaming tantrum in a restaurant, a decent manager asks the parent to take the kid outside.

We don't have to indulge raging assholes having fucking conniption fits among us.  Alex Jones is free to continue having his conniption fits -- he just can't come into our collective room and do it.

If he wants to ask hard questions -- even about odd and bizarre stuff -- all of that can be done like a decent, civilized human being. Without insults, loud interruption, yelling, attacks, etc.  It's fucking rude behavior, and being an asshole is not a sacred right in a functioning society.  Instead, it's something that should be punished and shunned by social norms.  The shunning has commenced.  You've been barred from this establishment for your bad behavior, Mr. Jones, and you are not welcome back [door closing in his face].

As someone who has been asked, told, and physically removed from bars and establishments on more than one occasion, I know exactly where you're coming from.  And on reflection I deserved it every single time.

Yep.   Good.

I hate rude behavior in a man. I won’t tolerate it.
  • Like 2