Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Kind of curious how Louisville sells itself on visits. It's a borderline commuter school, the campus is meh, area surrounding campus is not at all nice. I guess maybe they put together the best NIL package, but it's not like other schools don't do the same there

They also landed that highly ranked WR we we’re interested in (Moore?), so I think it’s pretty safe to assume they’re just dropping huge bags right now. I can’t imagine there’s anything else to it. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

They also landed that highly ranked WR we we’re interested in (Moore?), so I think it’s pretty safe to assume they’re just dropping huge bags right now. I can’t imagine there’s anything else to it. 

Papa John's franchises.  

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Dr.Dre said:

Reminiscent of Zach Evans.  Predict Three college teams then 1 contract NFL.  Compare that to Bijan that, barring injuries, looks to have long term NFL and life success.

To be fair, we have no idea how either will do in the NFL

6 minutes ago, Dr.Dre said:

Reminiscent of Zach Evans.  Predict Three college teams then 1 contract NFL.  Compare that to Bijan that, barring injuries, looks to have long term NFL and life success.

Sounds like Reuben isn't exactly a headcase like Evans, he's just got awful role models around him. Maybe he just needs to go to UDub and ditch the family.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Ok...I'm confused, as to why all those 5* DL, and some of the others, would all commit to aggy in the last recruiting haul.  I know Saban mentioned that Jimbo bought them, which I agree, but what's really going on here?  aggy never had such a haul, their last season didn't do anything to make players want to go there, so ... somehow, Jimbo and the donors shelled out a ton of money to get players to go there?   Any news/updates/info, or will we ever know what happened there?

you're right, you are confused

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

When they got a commitment from Pierce Clarkson, a 4 star QB from CA, buzz picked up because his dad is a well respected QB trainer https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Clarkson. That got DeAndre Moore's attention, which is why they were confident they could get Moore for $150k a month or 2 ago, although I think the final deal was a little higher.

They just had their big recruiting weekend and their pitch includes a menu of NIL perks such as a room at the Galt house overlooking the river, use of an exotic car (can only use for a limited number of miles because of fears of a crash), flying family to all games on a private jet, ProRehab so if they're injured they'll still get NIL money by saying they're using ProRehab. Humana is also a big NIL contributor.

They have a slide saying their first NIL deal was July 2021 and in the first year they've secured $4M in NIL money and they expect that to increase to what Texas is doing for OL. Thought it was hilarious they actually mentioned Texas in their presentation slides as to what they aspire to be. They also said they can now do legally what Alabama has been doing for years. It also appears that they are actually required to do promos to justify their NIL deals, so it appears legit. They also don't seem to be involved in the bag game (all money goes to athlete after signing and after NIL deal signed), except for minor stuff during visits.

The buzz with Clarkson got the boosters to donate more, which got more recruits interested, which got more booster money, and the snowball keeps rolling downhill.

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, AP101S said:

When they got a commitment from Pierce Clarkson, a 4 star QB from CA, buzz picked up because his dad is a well respected QB trainer https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Clarkson. That got DeAndre Moore's attention, which is why they were confident they could get Moore for $150k a month or 2 ago, although I think the final deal was a little higher.

They just had their big recruiting weekend and their pitch includes a menu of NIL perks such as a room at the Galt house overlooking the river, use of an exotic car (can only use for a limited number of miles because of fears of a crash), flying family to all games on a private jet, ProRehab so if they're injured they'll still get NIL money by saying they're using ProRehab. Humana is also a big NIL contributor.

They have a slide saying their first NIL deal was July 2021 and in the first year they've secured $4M in NIL money and they expect that to increase to what Texas is doing for OL. Thought it was hilarious they actually mentioned Texas in their presentation slides as to what they aspire to be. They also said they can now do legally what Alabama has been doing for years. It also appears that they are actually required to do promos to justify their NIL deals, so it appears legit. They also don't seem to be involved in the bag game (all money goes to athlete after signing and after NIL deal signed), except for minor stuff during visits.

The buzz with Clarkson got the boosters to donate more, which got more recruits interested, which got more booster money, and the snowball keeps rolling downhill.

Thanks for this very specific recap, Mr Owens. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, TommyGufano said:

Kind of curious how Louisville sells itself on visits. It's a borderline commuter school, the campus is meh, area surrounding campus is not at all nice. I guess maybe they put together the best NIL package, but it's not like other schools don't do the same there

Well, it’s obvious that they focus on having a baseball bat named after them.