Fort Worth Police Kill Woman Inside Her Own Home

Vic Mackey

13 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

I'm sure there was a gun, just like there was a revolver in the Houston execution.

The 2nd amendment crowd should be all over this is their was a gun in the home.  Wonder why they aren’t??? Oh

Edited by Zepol87
  • Like 6

19 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Through her window from outside.

I seriously doubt she could have even heard the "you're about to die" command.

And how was the officer even at risk? 

Don't answer that because it was rhetorical.

If this was a reversal and the homeowner shot the cop or anyone in her front yard from inside the house even at night then I don’t think even a “castle doctrine” would protect the homeowner from prosecution and civil liability. The cop should be prosecuted for murder or manslaughter at the least.

On 10/12/2019 at 9:00 PM, bschoolprof said:

How about, I don't know just spit-balling here, . . .  knocking on the front door and saying "Police, is everything OK?"

they're not there to make sure everything (or anything) is OK, they're there to verify compliance 

this person clearly was not as compliant as she needed to be

you can't make an omelet without shooting some chickens

5 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

The 2nd amendment crowd should be all over this is their was a gun in the home.  Wonder why they aren’t??? Oh

You're better than this.   Don't fall into the 'immediately demanding all political groups to unite at once thirty seconds after a tragedy' trap.

Also I think you missed my point.  There was no revolver in the Houston murders, just like I bet the victim didn't have a gun here.  

When you are trained, encouraged or allowed to be a Hammer, everything looks like a Nail.

To my previous point last night about dress and attitude, officers these days are given a lot of latitude and I firmly believe too many take it upon themselves to create a persona.

The LEO who executed the citizen in the hotel hallway a few years ago (deceased had a pellet gun in his hotel room - he worked as a pest eradicator) had something like "You F'ed Up" laser inscribed on his personal carbine he carried on duty.

Gone are the days when an officer was handed a uniform, badge, and a department issued sidearm.  

There is a psychological component to this that I think affects not only those on the force, but those attracted to the job.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

When you are trained, encouraged or allowed to be a Hammer, everything looks like a Nail.

To my previous point last night about dress and attitude, officers these days are given a lot of latitude and I firmly believe too many take it upon themselves to create a persona.

The LEO who executed the citizen in the hotel hallway a few years ago (deceased had a pellet gun in his hotel room - he worked as a pest eradicator) had something like "You F'ed Up" laser inscribed on his personal carbine he carried on duty.

Gone are the days when an officer was handed a uniform, badge, and a department issued sidearm.  

There is a psychological component to this that I think affects not only those on the force, but those attracted to the job.

It's the Jr. S.W.A.T team attitude.  Tatted up, crew cut, black ninja geared, and looking to fuck up "the bad guys", whoever they might be.

41 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

The Arizona hallway execution is still the worst one I've seen.  They're all bad, but that was absolutely sickening, and he walked.

Edited by DigDug
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

Yep.  Just perfect.

The "Warrior Cop" mentality has so permeated law enforcement as to break it as a functional arm of civilian government.  Because that's what cops are -- civilians.  Don't ever let them tell you otherwise, because when they do, they are wrong and they are lying.

Just now, BurntEyes said:

This, and it all goes back to the "War" on drugs and police forces being equiped with military vehicles.

Don't think for a second the Patriot act didn't further the decent of our police being an occupy force in mind set.

It goes all the way to the federal level.

And it's a big problem. The biggest.

Yet nearly zero politicians are addressing either aspect in their campaigns because fear sells, and the US public is buying, in bulk.

Pretty much accurate.

11 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

This, and it all goes back to the "War" on drugs and police forces being equiped with military vehicles.

Don't think for a second the Patriot act didn't further the decent of our police being an occupy force in mind set.

It goes all the way to the federal level.

And it's a big problem. The biggest.

Yet nearly zero politicians are addressing either aspect in their campaigns because fear sells, and the US public is buying, in bulk.

Federal policies have the most influence on state and local policing and law enforcement. 

That's tragic and wrong. It's why I am federalism boner man. 

3 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

So when we will start hearing about charges and investigations, etc?

FlimsyInfiniteFinwhale-max-1mb.gif

Look, it's really simple - citizens just need to learn a simple fact if they want to stay alive: don't be black in your home.  I mean, if people would just stop doing that, which pointlessly antagonizes law enforcement, we could avoid these tragedies.

And I know, why you gotta bring race into it?  Just ask yourself this -- the cop saw the woman pretty clearly through the window, from what we can see on the video.  Run that same video, but the person is clearly white....is the cop as quick on the trigger?  Before you answer, look at FW's recent law enforcement track record and attitude towards black folks.  That's an inherent, cultural bias, built into the system.  A layer cake of "I'm a warrior cop" and "black person = thug" makes for a tasty dessert of "PUTYOURHANDSUPBANG!"

Just now, BurntEyes said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Making it a race issue, means white middle class people don't have to worry about it.

Make it a US problem and suddenly soccer moms on the burbs have to go a shit. 

I'm not debating your facts, rather pointing out the reality. To create change, we have to move this issue out of the racial content and into a national context.

And I think you are right.....but that doesn't make it right.

White folks just have to eat the "warrior cop" layer of the layer cake of shit.  Black folks have to choke down the whole goddamned thing.  And goddamit, why is it so goddamned hard for white folks to just accept the plain-as-the-nose-on-your-face reality of institutional racism (particularly within law enforcement)?  I mean, if we spent half the damned energy we expend doing all we can to rationalize and deny it on simply addressing it, we'd be damned close to equal by now.

• Like 3

I don't think it's just a racism problem but also a problem that many cops are afraid for their lives when they get out of their vehicle. Pull someone over for speeding and your hand is on the gun.  The police need to purge their ranks of the scared and/or racist. 

And I can understand why they can be afraid of walking into unknown situations but if the first inclination is to shoot, they should recognize that they should NOT be on the streets in a uniform in any capacity.

• Like 1

Agreed.......The War on Terror and the Patriot Act were a big contributor to this.

It was the perfect storm......Everyone was bracing for another attack on American soil and the media / entertainment industry built up the special ops warrior mystique into something that a lot of high testosterone dudes bought into.  People who would never be real warriors get to play one in the city streets.

Then the Feds and the DOD started dumping used / excess equipment into the hands of local law enforcement agencies and they got to start training with these new toys like a national guard unit.

I was in a very small town last winter during deer season and was leaving the feed store when I saw the game warden who I recognized.  I stopped to talk to him and while we were talking a local cop pulled up too. 

The contrast of the cop and the game warden was shocking.  The game warden was spending all day dealing with guys all carrying high powered rifles and the cop was writing school zone speeding tickets near the local school.   

The warden's dress could have been mistaken for a utility company uniform save for the sidearm, and the police officer was head to toe tactical black, gloved-up, leg holstered, spare mags on his vest, and a carbine riding in a vertical mount visible in the car......in a town of a couple thousand people.

Edited by Reagan1k

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

would the officer have been able to tell she was black?  i mean i'm assuming there were shades drawn and he saw the outline of her figure against the curtains.

I'm going off the tiny glimpse we've had from the body cam footage -- they haven't released the image of the instant of her death....and of course, she was only visible for a fraction of a second before Officer Hero Warrior Cop Delta Force Badass put a round through her.

22 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

Had me until this part:

"And their use of force policy doesn’t require officers to use available non-lethal alternatives to shooting people."

Federal Law says it wouldn't be legal if they did. 

Plakas V Drinski:"There is no precedent in this Circuit (or any other) which says that the Constitution requires law enforcement officers to use all feasible alternatives to avoid a situation where deadly force can be justifiably used"

Of course, it seems clear that deadly forced WASN'T justified here, but the statement is still misleading- at best.

You've misunderstood that decision. The question there was whether a constitutional duty existed to use all available non-lethal alternatives. That answer is no. But, the constitution provides only a backstop, a minimum standard. It doesn't prevents Congress, the states, or even local police departments from requiring a higher one.  

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DigDug said:

The Arizona hallway execution is still the worst one I've seen.  They're all bad, but that was absolutely sickening, and he walked.

Yep that shit was beyond sickening. That was not a heat of the moment decision. That dude was literally on the ground begging and crying for his life while that murdering piece of shit had a high powered weapon pointed at him ready to blow his brains out. Shouting commands at him in a manner that made the victim even more nervous. The fact he walked was pathetic but expected. Cops play by different rules. They do not have to worry about consequences or if they do, they are very minor. They have this us vs them mentality and claim it is so dangerous out there yet it has been proven with many studies their job is actually very safe compared to a shit ton of professions out there. And you have the Back The Blue bootlickers who actually buy into this shit that cops are actually in danger out there day to day. How many cops die per year vs how many they kill? No one wants to kill a cop in general. They know they will fry. There is not some huge war on cops. Yes, tons of people say Fuck The Police but that doesn't mean they are actively wanting to kill them. But the bootickers and police force sell that.

I'm ready for this victim's past to come into play. Can't wait to see her criminal record. I am ready to see how much drugs were in her house, too. Then we can thank our heroes in blue for taking out a criminal and we can sleep better tonight. Back The Blue!!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't think it's just a racism problem but also a problem that many cops are afraid for their lives when they get out of their vehicle. Pull someone over for speeding and your hand is on the gun.  The police need to purge their ranks of the scared and/or racist. 

And I can understand why they can be afraid of walking into unknown situations but if the first inclination is to shoot, they should recognize that they should NOT be on the streets in a uniform in any capacity.

Kinda chicken and egg stuff.  Citizens don't feel safe as cops act the arrogant asshole stick, and then it just continues to go around in an ever escalating circle.  People don't view cops as public servants whose motto should be to protect, and serve instead of hit that center mass zone.

Just now, irishtexan said:

So it's been more than two days since a police officer murdered a woman in her home on camera. Just checking in to see if he's been arrested yet?

Dude, it takes time to get customized medals for heroism made.  Give it a couple of days, and this will all be wrapped up in a bow, with a story explaining how the cop actually protected the neighborhood from a habitual criminal (she may have a couple of parking tickets, and maybe a citation for weed possession when she was 19 or something), and a druggie (they'll find some sort of drugs in the house, bet on it - whether they were there originally or not).  So, no need to thank him -- he's just a hero, doing his job, and keeping the streets safe by removing this menace is gratifying enough.

3 hours ago, PilotsError said:

You're better than this.   Don't fall into the 'immediately demanding all political groups to unite at once thirty seconds after a tragedy' trap.

He has a point.

Ok, but how about 30 hours after the tragedy? 72 hours?

30 seconds seems to be a bit fast.

21 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

You've misunderstood that decision. The question there was whether a constitutional duty existed to use all available non-lethal alternatives. That answer is no. But, the constitution provides only a backstop, a minimum standard. It doesn't prevents Congress, the states, or even local police departments from requiring a higher one.  

I did misunderstand the scope of that decision.  Thanks.  I have to think though,  that the combination of the Plakas decision and Graham V Conner would make it extremely difficult to legally compel a cop to employ a less than lethal response to a situation in which lethal force is a reasonable necessity to protect his own life.  Can we really enact a law that would allow a gun on an officer's hip, but hold him criminally responsible if he doesn't use his OC spray first when a suspect is charging at him with a knife?  Would that hold up constitutionally?

*This is a side discussion that is well outside the known facts of this case, in where there is zero evidence to support that the action was at all reasonable.

56 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

would the officer have been able to tell she was black?  i mean i'm assuming there were shades drawn and he saw the outline of her figure against the curtains.

He was in a predominately black neighborhood.

Listened to the family's press conference. She did have her Concealed Carry license but the family did not state where that gun was or was not. They left the door open earlier in the evening to let the cool air in from the cold front. She was living in the house with her mother who was sick, mom is currently in the hospital after a recent medical emergency, she's in failing health. Neighbor called the non-emergency line to check on the occupants because he wasn't sure if mom had gotten released from the hospital and maybe had another medical emergency and maybe that's why the door was open. She was a gamer who often played with her nephew. They were playing call of duty when they heard noises. She made sure to tell her nephew not to go to the window, she went instead. It was mentioned that they sent a sort of swat unit to the house, not a couple of guys on patrol to knock on the door. That this po was a rookie on elite unit.

Cops know the demographics of the places they patrol and respond to. Thinking that he needed to “see” the victim for there to be a racial component is misguided. He discharged his weapon at an avatar of what stalked his mind as much as at a real person. No cop is going around shooting through windows at Highland Park. I mean maybe it’s happening but I haven’t heard about it.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

So it's been more than two days since a police officer murdered a woman in her home on camera. Just checking in to see if he's been arrested yet?

Come on, he needs time for the PD to put together a bullshit narrative.

Listening to some dfw radio this morning and they were talking about how transparent the FW popo is being, which is complete nonsense.   Radio callers complain about community activists and lawyers, but if those didn't put the pressure on and keep the talk going,  the police would hide and never release anything.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, naija said:

Cops know the demographics of the places they patrol and respond to. Thinking that he needed to “see” the victim for there to be a racial component is misguided. He discharged his weapon at an avatar of what stalked his mind as much as at a real person. No cop is going around shooting through windows at Highland Park. I mean maybe it’s happening but I haven’t heard about it.

No, it's not happening. In fact, there was a big brawl with HP students or football players with some other rich community high school and no one really spoke much about it. You know, just kids being kids!! Except when that goes on in other communities, we have to hear about how big of thugs those guys are. 

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

I mean, she was playing video games with an 8 year old at 2:30am. That's not very responsible. 

[bootlickingcopaplogist]I bet she was smoking weed while they were playing, too! That criminal thug deserved it [/bootlickingcopapologist]

Edited by Vic Mackey