2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

2 hours ago, Richter said:

Herman hiring Graham Harrell seems like a poor immediate fit.  I don’t think the air raid would be real successful here next year, and that’s a year that will need to show improvement for Herman to keep his job.  Sam’s strengths are mobility, toughness, and ability to adlib.  His accuracy is pretty mediocre to poor.  Our receivers that will be left all seem to drop a lot of passes. 

UT already runs a pro-spread offense with Sam. If a QB is a good enough passer to play in a pro-spread, there's NO REASON he can't play in a Air Raid offense.

• Fuck You 1

14 hours ago, ColeTrickle said:

So we are going after Brady or Harrell? I don’t see either of those happening. I think we could pull Sterlin away from McNeese State.

I'd rather just hire Baby Briles from FSU. USF fans & bloggers had the same complaints about Sterlin's offense that UT fans had when Sterlin was here.

• Fuck You 1

We’re gonna settle for Fedora and maybe Ash (but most likely sticking with Orlando). That’s what we do here, settle. We make safe,  unconfrontational, political hires. We’d never be bold enough to throw our weight around and go steal a Venables or Bedenbaugh. We should be going balls deep after Joe Brady who’s most likely  gonna win the Broyles award this year but we won’t.

Fedora is not returning, so I doubt we settle for him.

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

I would say apathetic and arrogant more than ambivalent.  

This!  It's 100% arrogance.  The guys on the Hornscast podcast talked about this very thing, that our HC's arrogance leads him to the opinion that we are just better than everyone else, player for player, and thus we should just line up beat the people in front of us.  They talked about how our playbook has had no wrinkles added since LSU, personnel groupings are the same per play, route trees are the exact same, etc.  They said it's so basic and so obvious that really we don't even have to tip the plays, but that are tendencies are so lopsided we are easy to defend.  I really don't understand how and why Herman is so smug and arrogant, it's amazing really.`

Edited by texashorn13

Horns247 Staff: Are changes coming to Tom Herman's Texas staff?

Each week, the Horns247 staff tackles the Question of the Week, where we weigh in on some of the hottest topics surrounding the University of Texas athletics. The Longhorns wrap up the regular season this Friday with a home game against Texas Tech, but the 2019 season has been far from successful in any sense of the word. Texas entered the year expected to be, at the very least, one of the top 25 teams in the country, but currently sit at 6-5 with one game left on the schedule, and changes looming inside the building. With that said, the Question of the Week is …

With potential staff changes looming, where do you feel the Longhorns need to make the biggest change for the future of the program?

Bobby Burton, Publisher

I think the attitude and aptitude of the head coach must change. Tom Herman must evolve or no amount of assistant changes will be enough. Herman doesn’t have all the answers - no one does - so he needs to stop acting like he does, or that they’re all in some super binder of his. He needs to build stronger bridges within the team and he needs to make smarter decisions on the field. Whether it’s running the same play twice in a row unsuccessfully in short yardage or failing to take points when they’re available to him, these are ideas and thoughts that he must adapt and change or he’ll fall short.

Chip Brown, Columnist

Tom Herman needs to abandon his offensive coordinating by committee, go hire the best OC he can get his hands on and turn the keys over to that person. Herman needs more veteran assistants who relate really well to players and who can recruit like crazy. And Herman needs to do a MUCH better job of relating to his players by spending more time with them away from football and talking to them about anything but football. My two cents.

Jeff Howe, Senior Writer

The person who faces the big decision in this situation isn’t Tom Herman, it’s Chris Del Conte and the Texas administration. If Del Conte believes Herman is the guy then he needs to do whatever it takes to get him whatever he needs to succeed with the catch that Herman operates within certain parameters since the head coach having carte blanche to hire his coaching staff the first time around turned out to not be what was best for the program. That also includes Del Conte guiding Herman along the way en route to taking a long look at every aspect of the program. No stone should be left unturned in order to make sure what happened in 2019 doesn’t happen again. The way things stand right now, it sounds like that’s the plan for the Longhorns.

The bottom line is Texas can’t afford to get this wrong and run the risk of the program drifting further into irrelevancy. Sticking with Herman too long without guidance or pulling the trigger on his fate too early and failing to get the right guy in place would be another crippling blow to a program that’s spent the 2010s wandering through college football's abyss. If Del Conte’s tenure is going to be remembered fondly (and every move he’s made so far has it trending that way), football has to win and win big. That’s why he needs to go all in on helping Herman get the job done if the plan is indeed to ride it out with Herman in the saddle.

Taylor Estes, Managing Editor

While it’s clear Texas needs some fresh concepts added to the offensive staff, the biggest change that needs to be made starts with Tom Herman. Not necessarily that he needs to be replaced, but Herman’s overall demeanor, both personally and on the field, has to change. Herman is not a relatable person to his team, and I think fans are recognizing that even more so as adversity has struck the program in Year 3 of his career at Texas. I don’t necessarily believe Herman needs to entirely change who he is as a person, but no amount of assistant coaching changes are going to cover up his downfalls if he continues down this path. It starts with building a better relationship with his players away from the field. It’s okay to be a hard-nosed guy, and to be honest, after how soft Texas was in the latter years of the Mack Brown era and pretty much the entirety of Charlie Strong’s tenure on the Forty Acres, Texas needed a hard-nosed coach to turn things around. But there’s a difference in being hard-nosed and being an A-hole who doesn’t relate at all to players on the roster. Herman is a very smart individual, but even the smartest people in the world have to recognize their own faults, and for Herman, it’s his inability to connect with people inside the program at this point. I do think that’s correctable, but it’s going to take Herman taking a long look in the mirror and recognizing his way of coaching is not working right now, and it starts with him.

Mike Roach, Recruiting Analyst

It’s clear that things aren’t working offensively, but I’d like to see some additions to the defensive staff if the numbers become more balanced. The front 7 in particular could use a boost.

17 hours ago, PNWhornsfan said:

If it were up to me to decide the new coaches (within reason):

OC/QB- Graham Harrell

RB- Stan Drayton (no way Herman gets rid of him)

WR-Emmett Jones

WR- Ra' Shaad Samples

TE/ST- Jeff Traylor

OL- Herb Hand

DL- Frank Okam

DC/LB- Kevin Steele

CB- Jason Washington

S- Michael Huff

You know there is no way Herman is going to bring a Leach protege in here...don’t you?

49 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

Yeah the next Darrell Royal won't walk through the door as long as you lock in mediocrity and refuse to look outside, what a dumb fuck thing to say

He's just hopped up on the good stuff.  We'll check back in on him after he comes down.  He's obviously having a hard time distinguishing hallucinations from the real world.

3 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I'd rather just hire Baby Briles from FSU. USF fans & bloggers had the same complaints about Sterlin's offense that UT fans had when Sterlin was here.

I'm finished with the Veer and Shoot offense.  Guess we forgot how there is no designed slants..just verticals, curls and screens

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

I'm finished with the Veer and Shoot offense.  Guess we forgot how there is no designed slants..just verticals, curls and screens

Nothin wrong with that. Between the hashes is reserved for the rushing attack, and the once in a blue moon silver bullet to the TE/H.  You just need the inventor running it and not someone who borrowed his playbook. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

So his first move is to take a dude that’s a great recruiter and has never coached and make him an assistant? That would be called treating the symptom, not the disease.

Carrington will be an interim assistant for Recruiting purposes only.... By March 2020 Bryan will return to his current off the field role.

It's a good move by Mensa....

Edited by LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Carrington will be an interim assistant for Recruiting purposes only.... By March 2020 Bryan will return to his current off the field role.

It's a good move by Mensa....

The same thing he did last year when they added an assistant. Ok cool, hook’em?

Looks like Utah's Morgan Scalley is indeed the top target at defensive coordinator. He'd be a great hire.

(Eric Nahlin) Thursdays in the Humidor: 11/28/19

By: Justin Wells and Eric Nahlin

We'll pick up from Monday's Scoop:

Based on what I'm hearing from booster lines, I expect significant changes starting underneath the head coach, though check back on that in a week or two. From agent circles I've heard four names (at a minimum) of coaches who aren't expected to return. I'd take the over. Don't bother asking for names.

Nearly every signal we're picking up on coaching changes points to Tom Herman getting a chance to invest heavily on a reboot. That's in fact what he's been telling the parents of players he's sort of re-recruiting and that's what it sounds like from agent circles and beyond. I say 'nearly every signal' because I think there was a bit of a donor push for Texas to cut bait with Herman, though we think Chris Del Conte has chosen to invest significantly in a reboot. We expect Texas to be very proactive in making changes, and aggressive in hiring the best of the best. Only time will tell whether or not they can pull it off.

We believe changes will start occurring by Sunday at the latest and Bryan Carrington and Andre Coleman will be elevated to coaching staff so they can hit the road and recruit. Those are of course short-term arrangements. Carrington hit the road aggressively two years ago and was an immediate help on the trail. We'll be monitoring who he visits closely next week. Perhaps some new targets emerge. Texas is fortunate the nucleus of the class is as solid as it is.

Who Texas parts with immediately will have ramifications towards the bowl. Coaching changes are more important than the bowl, but you still need guys to coach the next three weeks and the game. We could see two waves of changes -- before and after the bowl. The same could happen for new hires, especially if the candidate has a meaningful game or two remaining. Just keep in mind if someone is retained well into December it might not mean a whole lot. We also expect at least one coach, but maybe two, to be re-assigned either within the staff or to support staff.

As for coaching searches, we're very confident Texas has its sights set on at least one big name for offensive coordinator (there could be more we don't know about). When you aim for a big name you're going to be up against a number of suitors, not just the coach's current school, and that's something that will have to be factored in towards fan expectations. If it's deemed this coach is a good fit, UT won't lose out for lack of trying. Remember, big fish will want "their guys" and that could be another hang up we'll be watching out for. So far UT seems to be in decent position with the coach we feel is their #1 offensive target at this time.

Where Texas would go after this guy, I'm unsure (some of the names on the rumor mill I haven't personally heard), but judging by the amount of general interest I'm hearing from my personal coaching contacts I'm sure there is no shortage of offensive coordinators and other coaches who are interested in Texas.

If defensive coordinator opens up, Utah's Morgan Scalley will get a full vetting. I heard he's been someone they've had their eye on dating back to when they were fearful Todd Orlando might land a head coaching gig. Scalley has the look of a Ute lifer, but his upward mobility is hindered greatly by Kyle Whittingham. This is basically a Petersen/Harsin dynamic. Scalley could chose to spread his wings, but it would take a great situation to get him to uproot.

As mentioned above, Herman reached out to a large number of parents over the last couple days. His message: “Let me fix this.” For the most part, I think kids will wait to see how the new staff shakes out. Players and parents are watching these hires intently. These hires are important for both Herman's long-term and short-term success. Good replacements could be the difference in losing one or two players, or a handful of talented ones. This pressure is a good thing in forcing Herman and Del Conte to make quality hires.

We're going to wait for Texas to announce any coaching changes and then immediately drop in to add a color. At this time we only feel like three coaches (not counting Herman) are safe, and one of those might be a stretch depending on some other hires.

TEAM

-- More uncertainty at DB: Jalen Green is probably out; expect D'Shawn Jamison and Kobe Boyce to get the starts. BJ Foster practiced this week and might be available. DeMarvion Overshown is doubtful. They should do everything in their power to not play Kenyatta Watson. He has played in three games already and the fourth should be saved for the bowl, if possible.

-- There could be a couple of suspensions stemming from minor infractions that should only last a series or two.

-- Happy Thanksgiving.

• Like 2

I'd like to see us go after the staff of the best defense and offense in the Pac 12. Teams that are used to playing similar offenses we do. I think Scalley would be a great hire. My only hesitation is how much of the defensive calls and schemes are his versus Whittingham's?

There's about a 3% chance of getting Scalley. He's coaching at his alma mater and if Utah somehow does the unthinkable and wins this whole thing I have no doubt Scalley would be the HBC there in 2020. 

From Whittingham's own words (he's 60)

“I can just about guarantee I won’t be coaching at 65,” Whittingham told ESPN 700 in October. The declaration surprised no one who knows him, yet was the first time he mentioned any timetable. The realization that his father, Fred Whittingham Sr., died at 64 undoubtedly enters his mind.

It’s just silly to let a coach buy himself another year by shitcanning half his staff.  A new oc or dc can make a difference when there’s one area that needs fixing.  When you have to fix both sides of the ball, it’s pointless and just delaying the inevitable. Herman fucked up a majority of his initial staff hires.  That’s all the proof you need that he’s not going to work out.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Might be unpopular, but i don't think Sam should be guaranteed the starting gig next year. If Roschon has any sort of throwing ability, i would love to see what he can bring to that position.

Do you really think Sam is the problem with the offense? You might have more Ray Charles than Herman.

17 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

George Carlin would like to have a word with you about our DC.

Wish we could bring back George from the dead for just a day and have him instead of Kornberry or whatever the hell that search firm is called.  George would've nailed both football and basketball staffs.

10 hours ago, satyanash said:

Looks like Utah's Morgan Scalley is indeed the top target at defensive coordinator. He'd be a great hire.

(Eric Nahlin) Thursdays in the Humidor: 11/28/19

He's a Utah lifer. Would love the hire but he has so many ties there and probably succeed kyle when he retires that pulling him away will be extremely difficult but amazing if done.  Not everyone can be money whipped. 

2 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

He's a Utah lifer. Would love the hire but he has so many ties there and probably succeed kyle when he retires that pulling him away will be extremely difficult but amazing if done.  Not everyone can be money whipped. 

Harsin was money whipped. Whittingham is also a Utah Lifer and has another 6-10 years left in him. He can take over when Whittingham retires. 

but I’m not sure I’m ready to have someone named Scally/Scalley on staff, IMO. That’s a dangerous game. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Harsin was money whipped. Whittingham is also a Utah Lifer and has another 6-10 years left in him. He can take over when Whittingham retires. 

but I’m not sure I’m ready to have someone named Scally/Scalley on staff, IMO. That’s a dangerous game. 

Then fuck, lets get him and change his name. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Might be unpopular, but i don't think Sam should be guaranteed the starting gig next year. If Roschon has any sort of throwing ability, i would love to see what he can bring to that position.

I think Sam should be given every benefit of the doubt but his play since ou has declined.   I don't know if it is all his fault, or the line, play calling, or injury but it is not the same Sam we saw last year.  That is plain to see by anyone watching the games.  I'm worried his expectations were too high and his give a shitter is broken.   I certainly think his confidence is shaken.

Edited by UTEX90
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

I think Sam should be given every benefit of the doubt but his play since ou has declined.   I don't know if it is all his fault, or the line, play calling, or injury but it is not the same Sam we saw last year.  That is plain to see by anyone watching the games.  I'm worried his expectations were too high and his give a shitter is broken.   I certainly think his confidence is shaken.

Sam is still elite but dropped balls, play calling and him taking some hard shots in the pocket and outside of it will make anyone look ordinary. Sam is our best QB for next season. JQJ and Card will be the heir in 21