2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

13 minutes ago, satyanash said:

All Nahlin has said is that Herman has a top target at DC, who will be a "tough pull". Which doesn't bother me, if he's a tough pull it means A) he's probably considered to be pretty fucking good and B) we can outspend his other pursuers as leverage.

Or more likely Herman choose a tough pull that way when they turn down the job Mensa can throw his hand in the air and say “tried my best to get a good DC but they wouldn’t come, better just keep TO.”

Edited by Not a Sock

10 minutes ago, TXs said:

Which 9.95er said "Sunday at the latest" for changes to begin? Into the trash bin.

Herman's meeting with the coaching staff today. One of the $9.95-ers (can't remember whom) said to expect decisions to be made before 8 p.m., which is when the players will all have returned.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Sources-Herman-could-replace-both-coordinators-if-he-chooses-139565280/?fbclid=IwAR0aZ3id0PYcb-BrdVgLSlDCdLOCTT2sJDyvpYKNHUQCyCSTZUGhT-n3QXg

Mostly a whole lot of no information but FCB reports that Barry Odom and Chris Ash would be leading DC candidates if Herman decides to let Orlando go (no indication on whether or not that's happening). So we know not to expect Barry Odom or Chris Ash.

34 minutes ago, Chooky said:

CTJ is lobbying for a Chris Ash promotion. 

You dirty, dirty man. Of course Ash would be the guy. Just more mediocrity schmeared all over this fucking program for another year. 

I don’t think anyone besides Hand and Beck (at WR or TB coach) is worth keeping and if I could wave a wand, Herman would have already been shitcanned. 

In any event, getting Barry Odom would be a fucking coup. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

From what I've been told about CDC from someone who spent time in his programs at TCU, the guy runs his programs with an iron fist. Hiring and firing power is completely stripped from his coaches outside of certain conditions, and he controls everything down to the assistant staff, but is "moderately receptive to opinions from his coaching staff" on who should stay, go, or come on.

It's been very successful for him, obviously, but if he really is letting Herman pick the coaches, I'm disappointed. Herman has shown he can't help himself from hiring his buddies rather than using this university's ability to go out and hire an all-star. One could make the case that Coach Hand would be an outlier to the former statement; I'm hopeful that "Herman picking the coaches" is just a PR front, because at this point I have more faith in CDC than I do in Herman. 

No way in hell he is allowing Herman to do what he wants, that is public rederick. CDC is absolutely involved, fb pays the bills.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Chris Ash hired Mehringer as his OC. That guy wouldn’t know good football if it fucked him in the face

Of course leaving Herman to make changes means hiring more of his chode buddies. Fuck Herman 

Of course he wouldnt. He didn’t even realize when bad football was fucking him in the face violently and repeatedly when he had Mehringer call plays. 

• Like 1

Friend of mine texted me this from OB

"It was suggested to Herman right after Tech that he hire a new OC making this offense go through one guy instead of 4. Making it less complicated and more aggressive. It was also suggested he reassign Orlando and get another DC. Allow both Coordinators to make the hires they need. Herman doesn't sound like he is 100% committed to go that rout though based on the current mood. But he has full autonomy. Time will tell but one former head coach told herman he thought this year Texas had a "Colossal breakdown at times in both scheme and playcalling on both sides of the ball and poor fundamentals on defense".

Only thing CDC is telling Herman is that if he feels he needs to make changes he has the support and backing to get who he wants. But CDC isnt mandating anything to Tom Herman. 

But that's the feedback he has received from people he trusts. Sam also has been very vocal about changing the offense. As have a few freshmen who claim this offense is far too predictable and not aggressive enough. A few guys ready to portal. Texas has some work to do with Bijan apparently."

24 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Friend of mine texted me this from OB

"It was suggested to Herman right after Tech that he hire a new OC making this offense go through one guy instead of 4. Making it less complicated and more aggressive. It was also suggested he reassign Orlando and get another DC. Allow both Coordinators to make the hires they need. Herman doesn't sound like he is 100% committed to go that rout though based on the current mood. But he has full autonomy. Time will tell but one former head coach told herman he thought this year Texas had a "Colossal breakdown at times in both scheme and playcalling on both sides of the ball and poor fundamentals on defense".

Only thing CDC is telling Herman is that if he feels he needs to make changes he has the support and backing to get who he wants. But CDC isnt mandating anything to Tom Herman. 

But that's the feedback he has received from people he trusts. Sam also has been very vocal about changing the offense. As have a few freshmen who claim this offense is far too predictable and not aggressive enough. A few guys ready to portal. Texas has some work to do with Bijan apparently."

Well shit.   If Tom doesn’t make any changes it’s his funeral.  This wasn’t working when the kids were bought in.    I hate being a Texas fan sometimes

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Scipio's questioned Orlando's player training and scheme's before the season -- no fundamentals and poor tackling habits.

Hope Herman has enough sense to cut his losses with Orlando as DC.  

giphy.gif

People just don’t get it maaan, fundamentals get in the way of Todd’s creative genius. You don’t earn the nickname “master of confusion” teaching tackling.  BORRRR-RING! 

Clearly what this defense needs is more disguised blitzes.

From Anwar

In addition, not enough members of Herman’s staff have excelled at managing the emotions of high-level players.

One position coach who is about to be removed back-stabbed Herman on multiple occasions, according to my sources. That assistant developed a reputation for telling players in private where they were on the depth chart, but never stating things publicly during meetings. That led to a lot of confusion within that position room.

In addition, when players complained about the program to that coach, instead of trying to bring clarity, he blamed Herman. That lack of loyalty eventually trickled back to Herman. However, that is not the worst story.

From what I was told, when Herman invited former Rutgers coach Chris Ash to give his input prior to facing Oklahoma this year, that coach bad-mouthed Herman to his guest. Obviously, Herman heard about those comments, and his assistant has been living on borrowed time since that moment.

Lastly, the OB staff recently learned that players in that position room no longer want to play for that assistant, and they will enter the transfer portal if he is retained. Nobody threatened Herman. That is just the buzz from inside the building.

It is amazing how many people getting paid millions of dollars are fucking terrible at their job. If Herman comes to CDC and says I want to hire Chris Ash, and CDC doesn’t know he’s junk, then CDC needs another job. 

How do I apply for this job?

At the end of the day, an AD isn't going too micro manage football assistants. This is probably what you do as the AD if you're not sure Herman's going to work out long term - aside from firing him outright of course, but that's been discussed on here ad nauseam.

You have already seen enough that it's likely, or at least very possible, Herman's not your guy. But firing him now is off the table. You tell him to do what he thinks is best and let him know he has the resources of the AD behind him. You putb the onus on him.

If next year turns out like this year due to lack of significant changes, bad hires, whatever. Your case to fire him is iron clad. No concern among potential candidates. No thrashing by the media. No issue raising a buyout, which is now smaller anyway. And if it works out, it works out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

From Anwar

In addition, not enough members of Herman’s staff have excelled at managing the emotions of high-level players.

One position coach who is about to be removed back-stabbed Herman on multiple occasions, according to my sources. That assistant developed a reputation for telling players in private where they were on the depth chart, but never stating things publicly during meetings. That led to a lot of confusion within that position room.

In addition, when players complained about the program to that coach, instead of trying to bring clarity, he blamed Herman. That lack of loyalty eventually trickled back to Herman. However, that is not the worst story.

From what I was told, when Herman invited former Rutgers coach Chris Ash to give his input prior to facing Oklahoma this year, that coach bad-mouthed Herman to his guest. Obviously, Herman heard about those comments, and his assistant has been living on borrowed time since that moment.

Lastly, the OB staff recently learned that players in that position room no longer want to play for that assistant, and they will enter the transfer portal if he is retained. Nobody threatened Herman. That is just the buzz from inside the building.

I’m gonna guess that was Mehringer?
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Why would we ever jeopardize our Rutgers pipeline? Pipeline, sewer line ... whatever. Now is not the time for semantics. The important thing is protecting the culture. And that culture is simply saying the word culture a lot. 

Chook, my ancestors thrived in a violent culture.  Kinda folks that would rip your heart out.

If your looking for a violent cultured DC,  I'm your man!

main-qimg-c1eeea0002f13266ca3ff3eda7163f

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ColeTrickle said:

From Anwar

Gotta be Mehringer right?

4 minutes ago, ColeTrickle said:

From Anwar

got to be Meh right? WR room has been an emotional shit storm all year.

37 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Why would we ever jeopardize our Rutgers pipeline? Pipeline, sewer line ... whatever. Now is not the time for semantics. The important thing is protecting the culture. And that culture is simply saying the word culture a lot. 

Sounds to me like we need a new Minister of Culture. You know, for alignment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder if that explains the whole locker room mistrust stories we were hearing about. When Herman did nothing the team probably felt back stabbed.  And gee look we started sucking shit through a straw on offense when the OU game came rolling around 

Edited by UTEX_ME

It is amazing how many people getting paid millions of dollars are fucking terrible at their job. If Herman comes to CDC and says I want to hire Chris Ash, and CDC doesn’t know he’s junk, then CDC needs another job. 

How do I apply for this job?
Have you met any airline CEOs the last 80 years?

1 minute ago, UTEX_ME said:

I wonder if that explains the whole locker room mistrust stories we were hearing about. When Herman did nothing the team probably felt back stabbed.  And gee look we started sucking shit through a straw on offense when the OU game came rolling around 

In Hindi, that's known as being a "chut", or "fucker" literally translated 

4 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

got to be Meh right? WR room has been an emotional shit storm all year.

Only other position group that could come close to meeting that described scenario would be DBs. I gotta think it was WRs. And if so, that's the best news I've heard in weeks, because I'm not sure anything less than that would have ejected Mehringer from the Golden Child seat.

• Like 1

Has to be. If I were Herman I would have fired him immediately when I heard that shit

I mean, it’s not like we had a former K-State Wide Receivers Coach serving as an offensive analyst that we could’ve just elevated to take Mehringer’s spot midseason. That would’ve made too much sense.
  • Like 1

Only other position group that could come close to meeting that described scenario would be DBs. I gotta think it was WRs. And if so, that's the best news I've heard in weeks, because I'm not sure anything less than that would have ejected Mehringer from the Golden Child seat.

Naviar? No way Washington would do that. That’s not in his makeup. I’d be shocked.

11 minutes ago, ColeTrickle said:

From Anwar

Jesus Christ. I’ve always thought Herman was an asshole, but I was wrong. He’s a pussy. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Stunns38 said:

Naviar? No way Washington would do that. That’s not in his makeup. I’d be shocked.

Not really sure it'd be in Naivar's, either. That strengthens the rest of the circumstantial evidence against Meh. Add in the fact that he and Ash had history together (and pretty sucky history, at that) and, Voila! You've got enough evidence to convict. In a kangaroo court, anyway.

• Like 1