2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Mehringer and Herman go all the way back to Herman's time at Rice.  Mehringer was a QB, got injured, and then joined the staff as a student asst working under Herman.  He followed Herman to Iowa St and then Ohio St.  

Herman hired him to the Houston staff after Mehringer proved to be in over his head as the OC at Rutgers under Ash.  

Thanks. So, comfort hire. Such a long history together makes the "Mehringer slagging off Herman" to other coaches slightly less credible. But maybe not. 

7 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Did Harrell get his own guy at USC?

for what it's worth, the USC offensive coaching staff is:

• Graham Harrell (OC/QB)
  • John Baxter (Special Teams & TE)
  • Keary Colbert (WR)
  • Mike Jinks (RB)
  • Tim Drevno (OL)
  • Offensive Quality Control guys: Steve Murillo (10 years on the west coast), Lenny Vandermade (8 years at SC), John David Baker (came with him from UNT, was a QB at Abilene Christian), Seth Doege (the former Tech QB and was WR and Special Teams coach at BG)

https://usctrojans.com/sports/football/coaches

Just now, Nowhichski said:

Thanks. So, comfort hire. Such a long history together makes the "Mehringer slagging off Herman" to other coaches slightly less credible. But maybe not. 

Mehringer was very much Herman's protege.  Herman recommended him for both the James Madison OC job as well as the Rutgers OC job.  I think Herman thought that he would be the first bloom on his coaching tree. 

*Small correction - Mehringer was at UH for a year before leaving to be OC at Rutgers.  He was fired and then came with Herman to Texas.

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Mehringer was very much Herman's protege.  Herman recommended him for both the James Madison OC job as well as the Rutgers OC job.  I think Herman thought that he would be the first bloom on his coaching tree. 

*Small correction - Mehringer was at UH for a year before leaving to be OC at Rutgers.  He was fired and then came with Herman to Texas.

Incorrect. Mehringer was never fired at Rutgers. He left the OC position there to become passing game coordinator and WR coach at Texas. In other words, he demoted himself. He was NOT fired from Rutgers. He was smart enough to get out of sunken ship he significantly helped sink by firing cannonballs into the deck and setting the bridge on fire. But he wasn't fired from Rutgers. Tom herman saw that performance and said "I gotta get my boy back." In the words of CTJ and one of his favorite and most used phrases of all time: Let That Sink In.

In fact, Mehringer had to pay Rutgers 30k, to leave.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2016/12/rutgers_receives_financial_relief_for_drew_mehring.html

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nowhichski said:

Actually, makes it more believable. Somebody who thinks he's got an 'in' like that who underperforms and slacks off himself will start lashing out at others, particularly (not just "even" but sometimes "especially) their prior benefactors. I've seen it a million times in the business world.

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Incorrect. Mehringer was never fired at Rutgers. He left the OC position there to become passing game coordinator and WR coach at Texas. He was NOT fired from Rutgers. He was smart enough to get out of sunken ship he significantly helped sink by firing cannonballs into the deck and setting the bridge on fire. But he wasn't fired from Rutgers. Tom herman saw that performance and said "I gotta get my boy back."

My bad - I had just assumed he was let go following the season where he had coordinated the worst offense in college football.

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

My bad - I had just assumed he was let go following the season where he had coordinated the worst offense in college football.

I mean it's a reasonable assumption. Much like it's a reasonable assumption that someone who just coordinated the worst college football offense in history probably shouldn't be in high demand by the new HC at Texas, but there we were and here we fucking are, man. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

19 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Dabo's contract includes a clause specifically gouging the buyout if he goes to Alabama. They know he's going there, they just want to make sure Alabama is footing the bill for the next guy. 

If I understand correctly, still maximum of $6mill buyout for Dabo to go to Bama...

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

Just now, Eggo said:

So, Sterlin Gilbert was supposed to be some kind of Briles Lite that couldn't expand the playbook.

What's the chance Harrell is some kind of Leach Lite that will get exposed 3 games in? 

It happens to all good coordinators at some point. It's a matter of whether he can adjust or not. 

Harrell has already adjusted.

2019 stats while playing in the same conference (albeit different divisions):

Southern Cal - 490 pass plays, 349 run plays - 41.6% run plays
Washington St. - 644 pass plays, 169 run plays - 20.8% run plays
(National average is 51.8% run plays)

Southern Cal still only ranked #117 out of 130 in called run play percentage but ran it twice as often as Leach. Which is kind of amazing in its own right.

Edited by Huckleberry

20 minutes ago, Nowhichski said:

Was told today that "Orangebloods is of course full of shit and the backstabbing shit is straight out of the Ketchum playbook of fiction creation". 

Folks who aren't excited about Harrell have plenty of reason not to be, but I'd be a fan of the hire. Fuck it. We've tried other shit, might as well see what his version of the air raid can do.

• Like 3

Just now, closetojumping said:

Was told today that "Orangebloods is of course full of shit and the backstabbing shit is straight out of the Ketchum playbook of fiction creation". 

Folks who aren't excited about Harrell have plenty of reason not to be, but I'd be a fan of the hire. Fuck it. We've tried other shit, might as well see what his version of the air raid can do.

They dedicated almost a full podcast on it.. Anwar didn't want to say names or positions only to say names and positions later in it.  When they discuss stuff behind the scenes it sounds like they put a lot of extra fluff on it to spin spin spin.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

How have Big 12 offenses faired against Big 10 defenses over the past 10 years? Genuinely curious i

How have Big 10 defenses faired against Big 12 offenses over the past say 10 years? Genuinely curious if this point you keep pushing actually means fuck all, but I'm a lazy ass.

14 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Fuck it, I'll do it. Got a spreadsheet going with points, yards, passing yards, rushing yards scored by each team in the game as well as the conference averages in each category for each team that season. I'll go back five years (2015-2019 seasons). That covers one year of Ash at tOSU and I think is a fair representation of current big 12 offenses (well not really with the recent coaching hires but w/e there's no way to measure the impact those will have). If the sample size is bad I'll pull back further. 

• Like 1

I'd have to think Harrell would be closer to the Lincoln Riley version of the Air Raid as far as run-pass balance as opposed to the Leach version that passes almost 70-75% of the time. I could get down with that type of offense with our personnel. Interestingly enough, LR was on Leach's staff as a WR coach when Harrell was playing there.

5 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

I'd have to think Harrell would be closer to the Lincoln Riley version of the Air Raid as far as run-pass balance as opposed to the Leach version that passes almost 70-75% of the time. I could get down with that type of offense with our personnel. Interestingly enough, LR was on Leach's staff as a WR coach when Harrell was playing there.

Maybe they will just try to copy Riley's "power raid," but I don't know if I'm sold on Sam running that kind of offense, and I don't know why it's necessary to gamble on such a change when things have been working mostly fine on that side of the ball.  If the defense were as efficient as the offense then everyone here would be in love with Tom like it was still January 2019. 

Edited by Fozzz

1 minute ago, Fozzz said:

Maybe they will just try to copy Riley's "power raid," but I don't know if I'm sold on Sam running that kind of offense, and I don't know why it's necessary to gamble on such a change when things have been working mostly fine on that side of the ball.  If the defense were as efficient as the offense then everyone here would be in love in Tom like it was still January 2019. 

The offense sputtered this year due to play design as well as in game adjustments. It was anything but efficient at the end. 

43 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

This koolaid tastes like piss.

41 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

That's because somebody just peed in it.

41 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think you know exactly why that is, sir. 

*looking through a window and pointing at his crotch*  "my dick is in the punch!"

*old man inside trying to decipher it*  "i believe he's looking for a man named Dick"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Maybe they will just try to copy Riley's "power raid," but I don't know if I'm sold on Sam running that kind of offense, and I don't know why it's necessary to gamble on such a change when things have been working mostly fine on that side of the ball.  If the defense were as efficient as the offense then everyone here would be in love with Tom like it was still January 2019. 

So we shouldn't adopt an offense that produced 2 Heismans in a row and got Jalen Hurts over 4500 yards this season? 

• Like 5

Just now, Hank_Hill said:

The offense sputtered this year due to play design as well as in game adjustments. It was anything but efficient at the end. 

They can address that issue without resorting to a fundamental change in offensive philosophy which may blow up in their faces.  This is something that has to work right off the bat, after-all.  Even when including those late games, it was overall a top 15 unit, and thus needing of some tweaks, not an entire overhaul.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eggo said:

So we shouldn't adopt an offense that produced 2 Heismans in a row and got Jalen Hurts over 4500 yards this season? 

Even with Riley and co coaching him, I don't think Ehlinger would perform as well as Hurts in that scheme.  Hurts has almost double the EPA/dropback as Sam this season, and I don't think that is all due to coaching and surrounding personnel.  I think the power spread is probably the optimum fit for Sam's skill set.

Edited by Fozzz

3 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

They can address that issue without resorting to a fundamental change in offensive philosophy which may blow up in their faces.  This is something that has to work right off the bat, after-all.  Even when including those late games, it was overall a top 15 unit, and thus needing of some tweaks, not an entire overhaul.  

This is some real weak shit right here.

How many screens for a loss do you have to watch before you decide it needs an overhaul?

• Haha 1