2019 World Series: Houston Astros vs. Washington Nationals

elfenix

20 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

Looks like Mattress Mack is betting with his heart.  If he just wanted to hedge his $20 Million in refunds he could have done that with $6.25 Million at +220.

I don’t like that Bregman apologized for carrying his bat past 1st. That’s a big part of who he is. He is easily one of the cockiest players in the league, and for good reason. Just seems like an empty apology. You are who you are, Bregs. Just say my emotions got the best of me and it might have been a little over the top, but I apologize for nothing. This is who I am. Y’all know me.

5 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I don’t like that Bregman apologized for carrying his bat past 1st. That’s a big part of who he is. He is easily one of the cockiest players in the league, and for good reason. Just seems like an empty apology. You are who you are, Bregs. Just say my emotions got the best of me and it might have been a little over the top, but I apologize for nothing. This is who I am. Y’all know me.

Or just say fuck you, pay me, and carry the bat all the way around the bases after his walk off homer tonight

6 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Who is a good baseball pxp guy? 

This is a damn good question, because I've got the MLB.tv app and so I hear a lot of announcers, and I think most of them suck.  I normally watched the Cardinals this season, but I started watching the opposing team telecasts because the Cardinals' announcers are so awful.  

Good baseball pxp guys off the top of my head: Joe Davis (Dodgers), Don Orsillo (Padres), Brian Anderson (Brewers), Jason Benetti (White Sox). Gary Thorne (Brewers), Dave Sims (Seattle), Steve Bert (AZ).  The Astros and Rangers' pxp guys are OK, but they get dragged down by their idiot partners.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ramirezut said:

No signature calls -- he literally takes pride in "letting the moment" play out because he thinks it's cool... but in reality he has nothing of substance to say.

This is the least of my complaints about Joe Buck because I have zero problem with natural sound and I don't need gimmicky catch phrases or a signature call. 

The primary reason Gene Elston was fired by Drayton McLane in 1986 was for simply uttering "There it is!" and then allowing Glenn Davis to run to the bag and seal Mike Scott's no-hitter while the crowd screamed and the players jumped.  Contrast Elston's call with Milo Hamilton's screeching throughout Hank Aaron's 715th home-run trot and I'll settle for something in between. 

IMHO Milo spoiled Hank Aaron's 715th home run by screaming as Aaron went all the way around the bases. If he had just STFU after "..and its Henry Aaron," and let the event play out I could stomach it.

Instead, I prefer Vin Scully's or Curt Gowdy's calls of the same home run.  Particularly Scully.

Hank Aaron-715th Home Run - Three Different Calls

But, Drayton wanted screaming and gimmicky catch phrases, so he went with the polar opposite of Elston by hiring Milo.  Yelling and ego-maniacal to a fault.  Just not my taste.*  But, there was one other Astros announcer that would talk non-stop during a game and that was Bill Brown. Brown was very knowledgeable, and he's a nice guy, but he could not tolerate so much as three-seconds of dead air without speaking, and therefore spoke incessantly.  He knew his stuff, but Brown called television like it was radio and it was annoying.

* ironically I will always utter or think "gotta go get-em Astros!" a la Milo when they head to the 9th on the short end of the score.

1 hour ago, Saint Tacky said:

This is the least of my complaints about Joe Buck because I have zero problem with natural sound and I don't need gimmicky catch phrases or a signature call. 

The primary reason Gene Elston was fired by Drayton McLane in 1986 was for simply uttering "There it is!" and then allowing Glenn Davis to run to the bag and seal Mike Scott's no-hitter while the crowd screamed and the players jumped.  Contrast Elston's call with Milo Hamilton's screeching throughout Hank Aaron's 715th home-run trot and I'll settle for something in between. 

IMHO Milo spoiled Hank Aaron's 715th home run by screaming as Aaron went all the way around the bases. If he had just STFU after "..and its Henry Aaron," and let the event play out I could stomach it.

Instead, I prefer Vin Scully's or Curt Gowdy's calls of the same home run.  Particularly Scully.

But, Drayton wanted screaming and gimmicky catch phrases, so he went with the polar opposite of Elston by hiring Milo.  Yelling and ego-maniacal to a fault.  Just not my taste.*  But, there was one other Astros announcer that would talk non-stop during a game and that was Bill Brown. Brown was very knowledgeable, and he's a nice guy, but he could not tolerate so much as three-seconds of dead air without speaking, and therefore spoke incessantly.  He knew his stuff, but Brown called television like it was radio and it was annoying.

* ironically I will always utter or think "gotta go get-em Astros!" a la Milo when they head to the 9th on the short end of the score.

*McMullen

I agree with you about Milo.  I liked him when I was a kid and didn't no any better but as I got older I recognized him as a self-promoting blowhard.  

Edited by WBT

2 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

God fucking yes on Milo.  Dude sucked something fierce and totally ruined Hammerin’ Hank’s big moment. 

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

This is a damn good question, because I've got the MLB.tv app and so I hear a lot of announcers, and I think most of them suck.  I normally watched the Cardinals this season, but I started watching the opposing team telecasts because the Cardinals' announcers are so awful.  

Good baseball pxp guys off the top of my head: Joe Davis (Dodgers), Don Orsillo (Padres), Brian Anderson (Brewers), Jason Benetti (White Sox). Gary Thorne (Brewers), Dave Sims (Seattle), Steve Bert (AZ).  The Astros and Rangers' pxp guys are OK, but they get dragged down by their idiot partners.  

Good call on Dave Sims, always enjoyed his work on radio for MNF with Boomer Esiason. 

Just now, TornACL said:

A lot of the local team crews are great, and they don't have to fill every second with empty words like the national broadcast crews feel obligated to do. 

Yep and the local guys actually give a shit.  I'd rather they not even have a national TV crew. Use home crews every game. 

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I am a homer, but your list is invalid without Kruk and Kuip on the Giants broadcasts. Good mix of letting the game come to them, good analysis by two former players, and humor as the garnish not the meal. 

• Like 1

Local guys are talking to team fans, national guys are playing to the average audience. I have no problem with Buck, Smoltz, etc but I don’t follow either team so it’s more generic. However, I prefer the radio guys. I’ve listened online to more of it than I’ve watched because I prefer the radio style broadcast. It’s the same with football games, I would rather listen to the local broadcast on the radio than watch a national broadcast.

25 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I am a homer, but your list is invalid without Kruk and Kuip on the Giants broadcasts. Good mix of letting the game come to them, good analysis by two former players, and humor as the garnish not the meal. 

I realize I'm the only one, but I think those guys are so overrated.