Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

33 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Jaguarsfan.gif

So how exactly does a blue blood or, hell, any school for that matter, get a coach and build their program? 

I know this is a foreign concept but the AD does it. 

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I know this is a foreign concept but the AD does it. 

I see. And what does the AD do exactly? Or, in what capacity does he possess the right to tell everyone around him to fuck off (i.e. donors?)

Yeah, I think you might be mistaken how the whole funding for athletics works at Texas (and most schools except aggy.) You're kidding yourself if you don't think you need the big money involved. 

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I see. And what does the AD do exactly? Or, in what capacity does he possess the right to tell everyone around him to fuck off (i.e. donors?)

Yeah, I think you might be mistaken how the whole funding for athletics works at Texas (and most schools except aggy.) You're kidding yourself if you don't think you need the big money involved. 

He manages the donors and addresses their concerns and engages them in the process but he doesn’t let them run it or go rogue themselves. This sounds crazy I know, but it’s like how every other school does it. 

28 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Since we have one with a very good track record of picking coaches, why all the pussy rubbing?  Seriously, get a grip.

I think the AD fucking sucks balls and that is also part of the problem that I think Urban would ponder. 

• Fuck You 2

15 minutes ago, J.R. said:

He manages the donors and addresses their concerns and engages them in the process but he doesn’t let them run it or go rogue themselves. This sounds crazy I know, but it’s like how every other school does it. 

You literally have no idea what the fuck you are talking about and are at this point just making shit up. All of the major schools heavily use their booster to back channel with coaches and drum up money and to grease palms. This read like pathetic Texags fans fiction trying to come up with reasons that Meyer wouldn't take the Texas job.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

Well your fucking wrong just like all your other takes, Helton still has job there because the administration at USC doesn't care about football anymore and has told the donors to piss off.

Helton might still have a job there because they offered it to Urban last year but he doesn't want to get back into coaching. 

44 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

You literally have no idea what the fuck you are talking about and are at this point just making shit up. All of the major schools heavily use their booster to back channel with coaches and drum up money and to grease palms. This read like pathetic Texags fans fiction trying to come up with reasons that Meyer wouldn't take the Texas job.

At the direction and coordination of the AD dip shit. Not each donor unilaterally going out and pursuing their own agenda. Why is this so hard?

• Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

He took the Florida job because it was a step up, he got back into coaching because the Ohio State job was home and there was a championship team already built. Does he really want to come to this clusterfuck?

Yes, he WILL come here if he thinks he can win according the wisdom of this thread. 

• Fuck You 2

59 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Helton might still have a job there because they offered it to Urban last year but he doesn't want to get back into coaching. 

Ohh really? https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yardbarker.com/college_football/articles/amp/report_usc_president_not_budging_from_her_anti_urban_meyer_stance/s1_127_30464831 I can get another half dozen articles that same thing? The USC President said no Urban, the boosters got so pissed that the AD at USC they just hired damn near quit because of the mess they created. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

You already have Urban coming here as long as he thinks he can win?  This is fucking precisely the arrogance I am talking about. Everyone’s dream job must be Texas. 

You are an absolute dumbass.  Do you know how awful Bama was for a decade prior to Saban taking over?   I mean they had a coach get fired before he even coached a game because he let a stripper run up a tab on the University credit card.  And those are the most arrogant entitled fans on the planet.  I know, I am surrounded by them.  

SEC fans in general are baffled by Texas sucking. They all have the same impression of Texas Football as the standard Texas fan.  Texas should be elite, it is shocking that they aren’t.  And every single fan base in the SEC is as arrogant as the Texas fan base aside from Vandy.  Your argument is genuine garbage.  Are you Mensa?   Seems like you are since you know so much about how smart people think.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, jinx said:

You are an absolute dumbass.  Do you know how awful Bama was for a decade prior to Saban taking over?   I mean they had a coach get fired before he even coached a game because he let a stripper run up a tab on the University credit card.  And those are the most arrogant entitled fans on the planet.  I know, I am surrounded by them.  

SEC fans in general are baffled by Texas sucking. They all have the same impression of Texas Football as the standard Texas fan.  Texas should be elite, it is shocking that they aren’t.  And every single fan base in the SEC is as arrogant as the Texas fan base aside from Vandy.  Your argument is genuine garbage.  Are you Mensa?   Seems like you are since you know so much about how smart people think.  

You are correct I believe UT suffers from a singularly unique pathology. Maybe that would explain things. Have you thought about that?

• Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Are you 18?  Only 18 year olds hold this level of certainty that they know everything 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, J.R. said:

At the direction and coordination of the AD dip shit. Not each donor unilaterally going out and pursuing their own agenda. Why is this so hard?

So the AD at Auburn orchestrated the 200k payment to Scam Newtons dad so Auburn could win the title?   That’s how it is done everywhere else right?  

Boosters that have made millions of dollars doing whatever the fuck they think they should do to lead their companies to huge profits that made them rich, sit around waiting for a guy they could buy 50 times over to tell them what to do.  Everywhere except Texas.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, jinx said:

this is what I don't get.  how can anyone be baffled?  the college football world passed Texas by.  we keep thinking everyone will play fair, that you don't have to hire players and you can get a nice coach that will get you 9 wins or so for $5M.  And since we appear not to sell our soul for Football our faculty, etc can talk about how we are an academic institution.  We are Cal

We either hire some guy who thinks he is smarter than everyone else and wows in interviews(Herman/Mackovic) or someone who has ZERO idea how to coach at this level(Strong/McWilliams).  DKR saved us with Mack when we were about to hire Barnett(see Mackovic/Herman) and even that took some time.

We just really don't care about winning anything of consequence.  if it happens, hey nice!  we do care about being embarrassed which is why you have to have multiple losing seasons to get fired.

We were kind of treading water pretty well with Akers until he couldn't keep up with how offenses had changed.  we have been a clusterfuck ever since save one 6 year period.  Can you imagine if we had hired Barnett?

We can hire Urban and change the momentum or we can roll the dice again.  funny thing is aggy JImbo contract is going to be the baseline in about 2 years.   

thank god for VY.  I guess I'll always have that.

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, jinx said:

So the AD at Auburn orchestrated the 200k payment to Scam Newtons dad so Auburn could win the title?   That’s how it is done everywhere else right?  

Boosters that have made millions of dollars doing whatever the fuck they think they should do to lead their companies to huge profits that made them rich, sit around waiting for a guy they could buy 50 times over to tell them what to do.  Everywhere except Texas.  

I concede. Your one outlier example proves tour argument correct. 

• Fuck You 1

34 minutes ago, J.R. said:

You are correct I believe UT suffers from a singularly unique pathology. Maybe that would explain things. Have you thought about that?

What is this "singularly unique pathology"? You've implied that it is "arrogance" and other vague stuff, but what specifically are we talking about that is unique to Texas? 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, J.R. said:

This is a very ironic take given your diagnosis of Texas fans and boosters. Like overflowing with irony. 

Have you thought about that?

47 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Or maybe - stay with me here - the players are the same fucking 4 and 5 star players that MANY other great football schools wanted. Maybe they bust their asses at practice, just like anyone who wants to get to the NFL would. Maybe the coaches just fucking suck and need to be canned. Weird concept I know. Your comments about “country club atmosphere” sound exactly like the oft repeated shit from 9.95ers trying to dress up the shit sandwich that was Texas’ previous two coaching staff hires. 

No explanation for talented players that everyone else wanted sucking? Call them lazy! Blame the “atmosphere” because there CLEARLY wasn’t any signs of Strong or Herman sucking before they signed to coach at Texas. 

With the right coach, this team and its players perform just fine. Saying anything else is fucking stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

What is this "singularly unique pathology"? You've implied that it is "arrogance" and other vague stuff, but what specifically are we talking about that is unique to Texas? 

He's full of shit folks... and if you disagree then he'll just respond with something like "I lean strongly that you are a total fucking idiot and a big part of the problem."

4 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Its a combination of many factors.  Here is a partial listing.

1. Arrogance, but lots of programs are arrogant.
  2. Fractured mega-booster base (Houston vs Dallas for example)
  3. Serious academic institution that has real standards to uphold (not a bad thing but part of it)
  4. Huge mid-level booster base capable of serious interference 
  5. Lack of cohesion between AD and booster base at any level
  6. 5 leads to poorly run searches for major mens coaches because there is no comprehensively orchestrated and executed strategy 
  7. In general, a badly run (especially historically) athletic department as it relates to major mens sports (contributes to 5)
  8. Country club atmosphere
  9. Only a few brief periods of success interrupted by LONG periods of mediocrity gets ingrained at some point
  10. Texas believes that everyone wants to coach at Texas.  Some coaches dont give a fuck about Texas.
  11. Texas believes that Texas should be elite just because its Texas, there is no thought of excruciating level of effort required to achieve maintained success at the highest levels
  12. 11 means that fans believe you hire a good coach, you recruit the same 4-5* like always, put them in the country club, and success naturally follows.  It doesnt.  
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Istian said:

Or maybe - stay with me here - the players are the same fucking 4 and 5 star players that MANY other great football schools wanted. Maybe they bust their asses at practice, just like anyone who wants to get to the NFL would. Maybe the coaches just fucking suck and need to be canned. Weird concept I know. Your comments about “country club atmosphere” sound exactly like the oft repeated shit from 9.95ers trying to dress up the shit sandwich that was Texas’ previous two coaching staff hires. 

No explanation for talented players that everyone else wanted sucking? Call them lazy! Blame the “atmosphere” because there CLEARLY wasn’t any signs of Strong or Herman sucking before they signed to coach at Texas. 

With the right coach, this team and its players perform just fine. Saying anything else is fucking stupid. 

At some point, when every coach except DKR and for a time Mack gets ground into dust its not them its you

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

At some point, when every coach except DKR and for a time Mack gets ground into dust its not them its you

Yeah, Charlie Strong proved your point by sucking here but then kicking ass at USF where everyone was nice to him and nobody cared if he won.  

Oh wait.....

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Its a combination of many factors.  Here is a partial listing.

1. Arrogance, but lots of programs are arrogant.
  2. Fractured mega-booster base (Houston vs Dallas for example)
  3. Serious academic institution that has real standards to uphold (not a bad thing but part of it)
  4. Huge mid-level booster base capable of serious interference 
  5. Lack of cohesion between AD and booster base at any level
  6. 5 leads to poorly run searches for major mens coaches because there is no comprehensively orchestrated and executed strategy 
  7. In general, a badly run (especially historically) athletic department as it relates to major mens sports (contributes to 5)
  8. Country club atmosphere
  9. Only a few brief periods of success interrupted by LONG periods of mediocrity gets ingrained at some point
  10. Texas believes that everyone wants to coach at Texas.  Some coaches dont give a fuck about Texas.
  11. Texas believes that Texas should be elite just because its Texas, there is no thought of excruciating level of effort required to achieve maintained success at the highest levels
  12. 11 means that fans believe you hire a good coach, you recruit the same 4-5* like always, put them in the country club, and success naturally follows.  It doesnt.  

1. If everyone’s arrogant, then what the fuck is the point of this?

2. Mostly 9.95er bullshit - you don’t know shit about this one way or the other. 
3. Plenty of good schools succeed at football - including Texas for long stretches of time. Fuck off. 
4. ????? 

5. Right - the lack of cohesion explains the amount of money raised by the AD to complete numerous projects. Sorry, I can’t be bothered to look this up - the gigantic fucking Longhorn in the South end zone is taking up too much of my screen. 
6. With Mike Perrin at the helm? Sure that was probably true. See well, every single hire CDC has done up to this point. 
7. Ah yes, the money printing machine that is the Texas AD - so perpetually poorly run that it gives back tens of millions of dollars a year to The University. 
8. See previous post, see response 2 on this list, etc. Fuck off. 
9. Other than Ohio State, which football program hasn’t gone through periods of mediocrity? 
10. Some coaches don’t give a fuck about Bama, Clemson, or OSU. What’s your point?

11. SOME Texas fans may believe this. Where’s the evidence to support that the Texas players, admin, or coaches believe this? Maybe the coaches Texas has hired since Mack have just sucked ass? More bullshit projection from your interpretation of 9.95er bullshit. 
12. Has the entire fan base been behind either of the last two head football coach hires? The answer is unequivocally no. I won’t get into the weird relationship that recruiting services have with fans and how that translates to success on the field, but a combination of bad coaching hires and poor evaluations can explain every bit of this list. 

Edited by Istian
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Well...this argument would have more merit if any of those other coaches - Akers, McWilliams, Mackovic, Strong - actually did anything notable after leaving Texas. But it seems like they were the problem. Mack has gone to North Carolina and turned that program around because he is a good coach. Strong went to USF and was as much of a disaster as he was at Texas because he isn't. 

So of the last 6 coaches...5 of them were mediocre (Akers, Mackovic, Herman) to bad (McWilliams and Strong), and one of them was very good. The mediocre to bad ones were mediocre to bad after leaving Texas. The good one was good after leaving Texas. 

This pattern indicates to me that Texas's problem is in who they hire - not that there is some sort of inherent issue within the the school/AD/program that prevents otherwise capable coaches of failing. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Well...this argument would have more merit if any of those other coaches - Akers, McWilliams, Mackovic, Strong - actually did anything notable after leaving Texas. But it seems like they were the problem. Mack has gone to North Carolina and turned that program around because he is a good coach. Strong went to USF and was as much of a disaster as he was at Texas because he isn't. 

So of the last 6 coaches...5 of them were mediocre (Akers, Mackovic, Herman) to bad (McWilliams and Strong), and one of them was very good. The mediocre to bad ones were mediocre to bad after leaving Texas. The good one was good after leaving Texas. 

This pattern indicates to me that Texas's problem is in who they hire - not that there is some sort of inherent issue within the the school/AD/program that prevents otherwise capable coaches of failing. 

this.  Mack was probably going to roll around with 8 and 9 win seasons for another 5 years(losing to OU 2 out of 3 at least) had we kept him.  we wanted better but he torpedoed Saban and our situation at AD(Patterson the idoit, Arizona Freakshow)made it such that we went with G5 special, one hit wonder, who brought his G5 staff with him.  that worked so well we did it again. 

We keep hiring coaches that are worse than coaches that are already in the big 12 and they bring their flunky staff.

We also are completely reactive.  everyone wanted to save Charlie and then he lost to Kansas.  we had no plan. 

We actually have the chance to do what we should have done when we kicked Mack to the curb.  I have no doubt we will fuck it up.

Oh yeah and Fuck Mack Brown

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You’ve probably heard of Bruce Cassidy.  A top tOSU donor and  good buddy of Urban’s.  They’ve golfed multiple times in the past few weeks.

I said I’d update after we met and that’s this.  Those very close to Urban are very sure he’s done.  But I’m sure Urban thinks he’s done up until the second he’s not.  Anyway, the comparison I got was Jimmy Johnson - a guy who left in his prime and by all accounts has had zero regrets.  

Wish it was some crazy scoop but only fun part is what everyone here could have guessed anyway - he will listen because he can’t stand TH and gets a laugh out of the shit TH is catching these days.  

edit: I said I’d post what I heard.  I wouldn’t put a nickel on Urban not ending up at UT.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
NoRagrets lol
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You’ve probably heard of Bruce Cassidy.  A top tOSU donor and  good buddy of Urban’s.  They’ve golfed multiple times in the past few weeks.

I said I’d update after we met and that’s this.  Those very close to Urban are very sure he’s done.  But I’m sure Urban thinks he’s done up until the second he’s not.  Anyway, the comparison I got was Jimmy Johnson - a guy who left in his prime and by all accounts has had zero regrets.  

Wish it was some crazy scoop but only fun part is what everyone here could have guessed anyway - he will listen because he can’t stand TH and gets a laugh out of the shit TH is catching these days.  

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

LO FUCKING L

43 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

edit:  my bad responding to the troll 

My bad chi town. I like you. But there was just so much stupid shit in this thread I couldn’t help but make my contribution and the timing of your response could not have been more exquisite. Apologies. Back to regular programming. 

2 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

Ohh really? https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yardbarker.com/college_football/articles/amp/report_usc_president_not_budging_from_her_anti_urban_meyer_stance/s1_127_30464831 I can get another half dozen articles that same thing? The USC President said no Urban, the boosters got so pissed that the AD at USC they just hired damn near quit because of the mess they created. 

How do you know that statement wasn't released after Urban refused the job?

I don't know if Urban wants to get back into coaching. Neither do you or anyone else. I do know the brain cyst is real, he has a job at Fox Sports, he still has a job as Assistant Athletic Director at tOSU, he has a nice house in Muirfield Village overlooking Jack's golf course where I here he's fond of playing, and there's a pandemic going on. 

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

How do you know that statement wasn't released after Urban refused the job?

I don't know if Urban wants to get back into coaching. Neither do you or anyone else. I do know the brain cyst is real, he has a job at Fox Sports, he still has a job as Assistant Athletic Director at tOSU, he has a nice house in Muirfield Village overlooking Jack's golf course where I here he's fond of playing, and there's a pandemic going on. 

we’re texas.  he won’t turn it down. 

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

edit: I said I’d post what I heard.  I wouldn’t put a nickel on Urban not ending up at UT.  

Just wanna make sure I'm reading you right here...

So, you wouldn't bet against Urban ending up here, or you wouldn't bet for him ending up here?

Anyway, thanks for posting your intel...

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic