Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

5 hours ago, TexasBeta said:

I'm at a loss to understand why we can't get this hire right.. Who was the last good OL coach we had? It can't be that difficult... Am I crazy? I would think we could just go get the Wisconsin OL coach each year we need one. They seem to always have a bruising line. Or whoever is recruiting OL at Alabama. 

Every offensive lineman on our roster is a pussy. This is a personnel problem. I know, the coaches are responsible for recruiting. Let's pray every lineman hits the portal.

20 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Every offensive lineman on our roster is a pussy. This is a personnel problem. I know, the coaches are responsible for recruiting. Let's pray every lineman hits the portal.

Kerstetter has been pushing people around pretty well the last two weeks.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

I'm hoping for Urban, but even if he is the next coach I'm going to be pessimistic as hell. I was pessimistic when Mack was hired and he turned out to be a decent hire for 10 years or so, I was fairly optimistic when Charlie was hired, and I was really optimistic when Tom was hired. Bottom line is I know jackshit when it comes to hiring coaches and I'm tired of being dissapointed. Don't expect much and you'll rarely be dissapointed. 

• Like 1

On October 27, 2020 at 10:29 AM, BabaYaga said:

Jesus this is moronic.  After Tressel and the quick pivot to Fickell, Urban set them on a path to success like few other programs.  MNC, multiple conference championships and 10+ win seasons YOY.  This board would shit itself to have Urbans worst season at tOSU.  

I've noticed you say a lot of stupid shit on a wide variety of topics. Almost universally, and I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt when I say "almost." Because I can't think of a  single counterexample. You should probably just stay in your hut and shut the fuck up.

Don't presume to lecture me on Buckeye football. I've forgotten more about Buckeye football than you'll ever know.

Your spittle doesn't warrant the dignity of a response but it's a subject I might comment on for the enlightenment of others. Tressel and Meyer had pretty similar records at tOSU. Both had one national championship and two failures in the same pursuit. Both got blown out once in embarrassing fashion. 

Urban was undefeated at 7-0 against Michigan. Tressel went 9-1. But Urban didn't face Lloyd Carr. Michigan has been in a coaching desert since Lloyd retired. Tressel won seven conference championships at OSU. Meyer won three. Huge advantage for Tressel.

But you said "multiple conference championships" as if Meyer did better in that regard. Why did you say that? It's not true. It's not even remotely close to being true.

I'm betting it's because you think football is all about offense and Urban Meyer is known for a dynamic offense while Jim Tressel was known for a boring offense, punt and play defense, so naturally you assume Meyer did better than Treseel. And you're too lazy to fact check yourself before saying something stupid. Am I right?

Meyer instituted a lot if important changes to the program but Tressel probably did more to change the culture and set the stage for his success after the Cooper years. 

• Fuck You 1

"You'll never be fired for buying Xerox." That was a saying back in the day when companies were being courted by then-new upstarts in the copier business--the Savins, the Canons, etc. They'd come in with extremely competitive pricing trying to get procurement officers to switch from old reliable Xerox and give their copiers a try. About all Xerox had was its reputation, so they downplayed the newcomers' reliability, saying, "If you screw this up, it's your job, baby. Everybody knows Xerox. It's the safe choice. Stay with us."

This is where CDC is right now. Urban is Xerox. Why take a chance on a glitzy newcomer? "You'll never be fired for hiring Urban."

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Not sure if it's TEXAS, but this guy wants to coach again...

Urban Meyer Had Never Seen This Scenario in 35 Years of Coaching | Big Ten Football | Urban Analysis

Penn State end of 4th qtr vs Indiana

Never seen it?... and then it happened again the next day in the Falcons game.

Rarely happens and then BAM! Two days in a row it happens and both teams who scored end up losing.

Posting from a new handle since i dont want to out myself.  I am fairly connected to some big guys at the top, and there is real smoke to the Urban Meyer thought, and there has been contact, but not by CDC.  It is going to be a lot of money, but he will be wearing burnt orange.

• Hook 'Em 9

Posting from a new handle since i dont want to out myself.  I am fairly connected to some big guys at the top, and there is real smoke to the Urban Meyer thought, and there has been contact, but not by CDC.  It is going to be a lot of money, but he will be wearing burnt orange.
I see no reason to doubt the validity of this information. Sold.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 4

Just now, Bill Lumbergh said:
3 minutes ago, RVC2005 said:

I see no reason to doubt the validity of this information. Sold.

reminds me of the new poster that showed up early in the morning to give us a heads up that Ewers was committing that day.. oh what a wonderful day that was.

7 minutes ago, RVC2005 said:

I want to believe so I do believe you. HOOK EM! 

when calls the heart yes GIF by Hallmark Channel

Edited by BurntOrange&White

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I want to believe so I do believe you. HOOK EM! 

when calls the heart yes GIF by Hallmark Channel

Main concern is the pushback from the admin due to UM history at UF and tOSU, so that will take some talking.  Just know, any talk you hear about large buyouts, and not being able to afford it is bogus.  We can afford anything, only limited by what they are willing to cut the check for.  And guys, im talking massive contract.

I'll contact Thujone to get the "Longhorn coaching hire roller coaster" cartoon started. When you get the "super-secret high legel insider" info on when Urban's wife lands in Austin to start looking for homes, please pass it along.

Let me guess, option #2 is Art Briles.

Meanwhile, grab your ankles and get ready for the torrent of ridicule that will be unleashed upon UT and the UT brand as people continue to insist the Longhorn administration is so tires of having a sub-par football program that they would even discuss hiring - hold your nose- Urban Meyer.

But as long as the "highly connected" are reporting it, it has to be true.

Thanks for the insider info.

• Fuck You 10

Just now, Randolph Duke said:

I'll contact Thujone to get the "Longhorn coaching hire roller coaster" cartoon started. When you get the "super-secret high legel insider" info on when Urban's wife lands in Austin to start looking for homes, please pass it along.

Meanwhile, grab your ankles and get ready for the torrent of ridicule that will be unleashed upon UT and the UT brand as people continue to insist the Longhorn administration is so tires of having a sub-par football program that they would even discuss hiring - hold your nose- Urban Meyer.

Stfu

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, RVC2005 said:

Flying The X Files GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

edit: you are going to have to do something to show you aren't a troll - because 0 posting history, 0 bona fides and posting stuff like "Briles was brought up but was a hard no" doesn't inspire any kind of real faith in what you are saying. in fact the Briles stuff makes it pretty obv to me you are trolling.

Edited by NoName

Main concern is the pushback from the admin due to UM history at UF and tOSU, so that will take some talking.  Just know, any talk you hear about large buyouts, and not being able to afford it is bogus.  We can afford anything, only limited by what they are willing to cut the check for.  And guys, im talking massive contract.

Try me.  Throw a number out there.

7 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

I will paste the full text below. The blog he pasted was written by a Penn State Psych student and includes this as the conclusion:

I believe that these events discussed are examples of temptations.  Temptations are situations that entice an individual to violate ethical codes of conduct and are characteristics of the environment and surrounding social situation (Pennsylvania State University, L02, 2018).  Having been given a generous contract extension and the lofty expectations of heading one of the premier college football teams in the nation, Urban Meyer made the decision to lie and withhold information about the knowledge he possessed regarding domestic abuse allegations against one of his colleagues.  His actions represent the actions of an unethical leader.  Unethical leadership involves self-serving values and motives that has very little regard for societal-level standards of behavior (Pennsylvania State University , L02, 2018).  Ethical leadership is similar to servant leadership in that both theories place an emphasis on the responsibility a leader has within society (Brown, Treviño, & Harrison, 2005).  I feel that Urban Meyer violated these principles by failing to report his knowledge of Zach Smith’s domestic abuse allegations and Ohio State University also violated these same principles when discipling Meyer.  Handing out a $570,000 fine and three game suspension to an individual set to make $7.6 million over the next year seems too inadequate in my personal opinion.  Both Meyer and the university failed to uphold their ethical responsibility to society, would you agree?

just curious RD but how many P5 college football coaches in 2020 do you think are "ethical"?

let me take it a step further - how many winning P5 college football coaches in 2020 do you think are "ethical"?

If your bar for hiring a coach is that he has to truly be a man of ethics, then the position is going to be open for a long, long, long, long, long, long, long time.

full text:

Spoiler

Trading Ethics for Wins…How Ohio State Got it Wrong with Urban Meyer

September 20, 2018, Daniel D'amico in Uncategorized Leave a comment

Ethics is defined as the types of values and morals an individual or society finds desirable or appropriate (Northouse, 2018).  These values and internal motives are what drive an individual to behave in a particular manner and the decisions they make.  Ethical leadership aims to explain a leader’s decision-making process and how those decisions impact others in their surrounding environment that they are responsible to provide guidance for (Pennsylvania State University, L01, 2018).  Athletic coaches are leaders that have an ethical responsibility to their colleagues, players, organization they belong to, and fan base.  Earlier this year, Urban Meyer, the head football coach at Ohio State University, displayed unethical leadership qualities when he made the decision to fail to report domestic abuse allegations of one of assistants.  Furthermore, top officials at Ohio State University made a poor decision with discipling Meyer, stating to the public that the university is more concerned with the reputation of one of the premier football teams in the country rather than taking the appropriate measures to rectify the situation of withholding knowledge and information about a topic as serious as domestic abuse.

In 2015 Courtney Smith, the now ex-wife of former assistant coach at Ohio State University Zach Smith, stated allegations against Zach that he had abused her physically on multiple occasions.  Courtney also stated that she contacted Meyer’s wife Shelley about the abuse, explaining details of several incidents and even sending her pictures of her injuries as a result of the confrontations via phone messages.  During this time Shelley told Courtney that she would be telling Urban about their conversations, as she believed that Urban needed to know the situation surrounding one of his assistant coaches (DelVecchio, 2018).  Urban Meyer originally stated that he did not having any knowledge of the domestic violence situation but later in an interview, Zach Smith stated that indeed Meyer knew of incidents dating back to as early as 2009 (Burke, 2018).

Earlier this year after the allegations were made public, Zach Smith was fired from his position at Ohio State University and Urban Meyer was placed on administrative paid leave while an investigation surroundings his knowledge of the abuse was conducted.  The investigation was concerned with finding the truth if Urban Meyer had consciously made the decision to lie to his superiors or violated university policies that require him to report any alleged misconduct by an employee that Meyer oversees (Bender, 2018).  At the conclusion of the investigation, Ohio State University made the decision to suspend Meyer for the first three games of the upcoming season, resulting in a monetary loss a bit over $570,000 for Meyer.  Meyer signed a contract extension earlier this year that would pay him a total of $7.6 million dollars for the 2018 season (Perez, 2018).  The investigation concluded that Meyer mishandled the domestic abuse allegations against Zach Smith but his behavior was not egregious enough to terminate one of the most successful coaches in college football history (Kirshner, 2018).  As previously stated, Meyer had consistently made statements that he did not have any prior knowledge of the allegations against Smith, however on August 3, 2018, Meyer then released a statement that he failed to report his knowledge surrounding the domestic abuse allegations.  In an attempt to save his job from possible termination, Meyer released statements that he did report the incidents to his superiors but withheld that information when speaking to the media (Bianchi, 2018).  In his original apology following his suspension, Urban Meyer apologized to Ohio State University’s fan base, known as “Buckeye Nation”, but did not mention Courtney Smith is his apology.  When asked what he would say to Courtney Smith if given the opportunity, Meyer’s only response was “I’m sorry that we are in this situation” (Mandell, 2018).

I believe that these events discussed are examples of temptations.  Temptations are situations that entice an individual to violate ethical codes of conduct and are characteristics of the environment and surrounding social situation (Pennsylvania State University, L02, 2018).  Having been given a generous contract extension and the lofty expectations of heading one of the premier college football teams in the nation, Urban Meyer made the decision to lie and withhold information about the knowledge he possessed regarding domestic abuse allegations against one of his colleagues.  His actions represent the actions of an unethical leader.  Unethical leadership involves self-serving values and motives that has very little regard for societal-level standards of behavior (Pennsylvania State University , L02, 2018).  Ethical leadership is similar to servant leadership in that both theories place an emphasis on the responsibility a leader has within society (Brown, Treviño, & Harrison, 2005).  I feel that Urban Meyer violated these principles by failing to report his knowledge of Zach Smith’s domestic abuse allegations and Ohio State University also violated these same principles when discipling Meyer.  Handing out a $570,000 fine and three game suspension to an individual set to make $7.6 million over the next year seems too inadequate in my personal opinion.  Both Meyer and the university failed to uphold their ethical responsibility to society, would you agree?

References

Bender, B. (2018, August 11). Urban Meyer investigation: What’s at risk for Ohio State, Buckeyes Coach.
Retrieved September 19, 2018, from

Bianchi, M. (2018, August 4). At least Urban Meyer admits he’s Urban Liar, but he should still be Urban Fired.
Retrieved September 20, 2018, from

Brown, M. E., Treviño, L. K., & Harrison, D. A. (2005). Ethical leadership: A social learning perspective for construct development and testing. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 97(2), 117-134.

Burke, C. (2018, August 6). REPORT: Zach Smith Admits to Domestic Abuse Against Wife.

DelVecchio, S. (2018, August 1). Report: Urban Meyer lied about knowledge of domestic violence incident with coach.

Kirshner, A. (2018, September 15). Why is Urban Meyer suspended? Here’s the short answer and the long answer.

Mandell, N. (2018, August 22). Urban Meyer apologized to Buckeye Nation but not Courtney Smith.

Northouse, P. G. (2018). Leadership: Theory and practice (8th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.

Pennsylvania State University. (2018, August 27). PSY 533: Ethics and leadership: Unit 01, Lesson 01: Overview of ethics.
Retrieved from
https://psu.instructure.com/courses/1913945/pages/l01-overview?module_item_id=25041751

Pennsylvania State University. (2018, September 3). PSY 533: Ethics and leadership: Unit 01, Lesson 02: Vices and temptations.
Retrieved from

Perez, A. J. (2018, September 20). Urban Meyer docked more than $570,000 as part of his Ohio State suspension.

Edited by NoName
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RVC2005 said:

ag troll

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Make jokes, that's fine, just passing on what ive got. And no, no Briles under any circumstance.  It was mentioned, but only to quickly dismiss it with a hard 'no'

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Stfu

Lol.

The shitstorm of justifiable ridicule that would result from his hiring of Urban Meyer would be epic. Neither Jay Hartzell nor CDC would last long enough to see Urban coach his first game. It would rank as one of the epic blunders in the history of UT Austin.

• Fuck You 9

27 minutes ago, RVC2005 said:

Hungry Dinner GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RVC2005 said:

Make jokes, that's fine, just passing on what ive got. And no, no Briles under any circumstance.  It was mentioned, but only to quickly dismiss it with a hard 'no'

Be careful dude.  CDC and Urban are going to kick you out of the group chat. Fuk Boi.  

Edited by stork642

You've done your duty. We appreciate your contributions and will give them all due consideration.

1 minute ago, Randolph Duke said:

Lol.

The shitstorm of justifiable ridicule that would result from his hiring of Urban Meyer would be epic. Neither Jay Hartzell nor CDC would last long enough to see Urban coach his first game. It would rank as one of the epic blunders in the history of UT Austin.

Fuck off and stop acting like you have any inside information.

• Hook 'Em 8

3 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Considering we just lost a huge recruit this morning and our program is spiraling terribly, the odds that a new poster who shows up with super secret inside info is an aggy troll vs legit feel quite high.

On the other hand, I like the drug he's selling, so it's probably legit.

has nothing to do with losing ewers, and everything to do with WHY we lost him.  The program spiral started over the summer, but was not mentioned by many.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Lol.

Isn’t there something aggy related you could  be working on?

Edited by stork642
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Fuck off and stop acting like you have any inside information.

I'm not the one claiming to have inside information. I'm the one claiming to understand the politics of the situation enough to understand why it isn't going to happen.

Urban Meyer is a brutally damaged person with horrible ethics. One could call him "human scum." He's a sociopath.

Hiring such a polarizing personality as the face of the school's football program would be epic. And not in a positive way.

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Fuck You 6

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic