Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

5 minutes ago, jinx said:

I personally think this whole thread is hilarious.  I love the revisionist history of the Tampa Bay piece, where the guy tries to go back and make Florida fans feel bad that maybe Urban was a piece of shit while he was there too.  Guess what, the Florida media treats UF the same as most Texas media treats UT.  They know that there are more that hate the university than love it.

I was a student at UF during Urbans run, and there was little to no fret of him letting the inmates run the asylum from the fan base.  We had Tim Tebow leading the charge, so no one knew about the stuff below the surface with Hernandez or others.  We knew Percy was a head case and pot head, but Urban managed to get him on the field when we needed, and scheme around him when he couldn't play (2008 SEC championship).  It was never suggested that he was anything less than a stand up coach until he had his medical issues in 2009, when most were just mad that he was leaving so suddenly with such an unusual reason.

Since that time, I have watched UF move up the leaderboard on the US News report to pass Texas as one of the best universities in the nation.  They have gone through their share of coach turnover, but managed to land on an Urban disciple with a history with Urban during those same years of 'shame' (and also SEC and National Titles).  

Guess what?!?!?  Mullen's wife even strongly considered not letting Mullen take the job because of how mean and demanding all of the Gator fans are.  Sound familiar?

In that Tampa Bay article, Mullen is getting run over by the same bus they are rolling over Urban because a player had a gun.  Josh Moore anyone?  Did Mack keep everyone out of jail and choir boy clean?  I seem to remember a lot of riff raff, including our stud RB kicking down a door to get back a TV, and another star player with a backpack full of pot.

I also love Blotto pointing out how few SEC teams are great schools, when one (UF) is ranked higher than Texas, and UGA is right below.  How clean is that Georgia Football prorgram?  In the top 30 public list for US News, we also have Ohio State, Florida State, Penn State, Texas A&M and Clemson.  Auburn is at 40, and Tennessee is at 52, right before the next Big 12 school in Iowa State (54).  So tell me how selling out to be good at football ruins the reputation of your university again?

All of you clowns equating hiring Urban Meyer to hiring Art Briles need to stop sniffing paint.  The two are not in the same realm of program mismanagement and overall debauchery, and I base that on the fact that Briles is coaching in HS while Urban is considered for this and other top college jobs.

If you think the University of Florida Administration and then Athletic Director Jeremy Foley just let Urban close them out of the football program so he could run it his way, you are an absolute idiot.  Jeremy Foley is / was one of the best ADs of the time, and he didn't get there by getting run over by his coaches.  Same with the University in general.  It is exceptional on every level.

There are plenty of levels between Ohio State / Alabama / Clemson and the decade long shit show we have put up with here at Texas.  To somehow think hiring Urban Meyer is going to be the torpedo that finally sinks our great university is fucking ridiculous.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, jinx said:

I personally think this whole thread is hilarious.  I love the revisionist history of the Tampa Bay piece, where the guy tries to go back and make Florida fans feel bad that maybe Urban was a piece of shit while he was there too.  Guess what, the Florida media treats UF the same as most Texas media treats UT.  They know that there are more that hate the university than love it.

I was a student at UF during Urbans run, and there was little to no fret of him letting the inmates run the asylum from the fan base.  We had Tim Tebow leading the charge, so no one knew about the stuff below the surface with Hernandez or others.  We knew Percy was a head case and pot head, but Urban managed to get him on the field when we needed, and scheme around him when he couldn't play (2008 SEC championship).  It was never suggested that he was anything less than a stand up coach until he had his medical issues in 2009, when most were just mad that he was leaving so suddenly with such an unusual reason.

Since that time, I have watched UF move up the leaderboard on the US News report to pass Texas as one of the best universities in the nation.  They have gone through their share of coach turnover, but managed to land on an Urban disciple with a history with Urban during those same years of 'shame' (and also SEC and National Titles).  

Guess what?!?!?  Mullen's wife even strongly considered not letting Mullen take the job because of how mean and demanding all of the Gator fans are.  Sound familiar?

In that Tampa Bay article, Mullen is getting run over by the same bus they are rolling over Urban because a player had a gun.  Josh Moore anyone?  Did Mack keep everyone out of jail and choir boy clean?  I seem to remember a lot of riff raff, including our stud RB kicking down a door to get back a TV, and another star player with a backpack full of pot.

I also love Blotto pointing out how few SEC teams are great schools, when one (UF) is ranked higher than Texas, and UGA is right below.  How clean is that Georgia Football prorgram?  In the top 30 public list for US News, we also have Ohio State, Florida State, Penn State, Texas A&M and Clemson.  Auburn is at 40, and Tennessee is at 52, right before the next Big 12 school in Iowa State (54).  So tell me how selling out to be good at football ruins the reputation of your university again?

All of you clowns equating hiring Urban Meyer to hiring Art Briles need to stop sniffing paint.  The two are not in the same realm of program mismanagement and overall debauchery, and I base that on the fact that Briles is coaching in HS while Urban is considered for this and other top college jobs.

If you think the University of Florida Administration and then Athletic Director Jeremy Foley just let Urban close them out of the football program so he could run it his way, you are an absolute idiot.  Jeremy Foley is / was one of the best ADs of the time, and he didn't get there by getting run over by his coaches.  Same with the University in general.  It is exceptional on every level.

There are plenty of levels between Ohio State / Alabama / Clemson and the decade long shit show we have put up with here at Texas.  To somehow think hiring Urban Meyer is going to be the torpedo that finally sinks our great university is fucking ridiculous.

UT athletics couldn’t make its most recent public debt payment and had to eliminate 70 positions due to financial hardship. The salary reductions for remaining Bellmont staff went into effect with the end of October pay period.

Can you at least agree that the university has a moral obligation to pay its outstanding debts before it runs out to spend $40 mil on a shiny new sociopath to coach its football team?

Can you also agree it is very bad optics for the BMDs to be nowhere when Bellmont is taking money from long-serving employees and unable to make debt payments but to show up with money to hire a shiny new sociopath to coach the football team? 

Kind of piece-of-shit donors, wouldn’t you say so? 

Edited by Randolph Duke

5 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

UT athletics couldn’t make its most recent public debt payment and had to eliminate 70 positions due to financial hardship. The salary reductions for remaining Bellmont staff went into effect with the end of October pay period.

Can you at least agree that the university has a moral obligation to pay its outstanding debts before it runs out to spend $40 mil on a shiny new sociopath to coach its football team?

Can you also agree it is very bad optics for the BMDs to be nowhere when Bellmont is taking money from long-serving employees and unable to make debt payments but to show up with money to hire a shiny new sociopath to coach the football team? 

Lol yes...where the fuck have you been. You think BMDs made their money feeding orphans or some shit. They don’t give a fuck, they want to watch winning football...do you think they honestly care more about athletic department debts than a shiny new WINNING football coach and a renovated stadium? Would you rather pay your buddies credit card bill or ride shotgun in his Porsche? Pull it together dude

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Looks like that's gonna be a NO from me dawg.

2020 sucks and 2021 likely will suck worse no matter how you get your pay check.  That isn't the argument I am making.

1935f0ac235b68f0184687f4727f249d.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3

49 minutes ago, jinx said:

Jennifer Lopez Yes GIF by mtv

So are there really people on here who don’t want Urban to be our next HC??

I’d be happy with just getting 4 years before he flakes. He’ll have us back (for real this time) next year and by year 5, he can hand off the well-oiled machine to a person of his choosing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Yeah. We’re gonna go ahead and hire that kid from Rice with a 2.0. It’s nice you have a 4.0 from UT but that’s just not moving the needle for us. We’d be too worried about you stealing from the company. It’s a character issue I’m afraid you can’t resolve. Not even sure I’d be comfortable giving you a reference. 

This made me lulz. I read it in my best imitation Randolph duke judgmental voice and it made it even funnier. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

So are there really people on here who don’t want Urban to be our next HC??

I’d be happy with just getting 4 years before he flakes. He’ll have us back (for real this time) next year and by year 5, he can hand off the well-oiled machine to a person of his choosing. 

That’s the spirit! Back to our annual delusions!

We’re fucked. This thread is depressing.

We’re nothing more than a southwest hipster college. 

What started here...ruined the world.....We’re Texas!

Edited by DaggerHorns
Eat shit....all of you (even me)....fuck!

I think there is a third way between going full SEC and a school that sits around and smells its own farts and tells itself it's too good to win.  And, dare I say it, I think it's OSU that's found that third way.  Their philosophy seems to be OK, we won't ask you about your business, but if your business lands in our laps, we will not go full SEC and cover for you.  We'll throw you under the bus, turn you into the ncaa (Tressel) or put you through a public humiliation and suspension (Meyer) and then show you the door in disgrace and move on to the next guy.

And I'm fine with that.  Tell Urban to do what he needs to do to bring Texas back, but if he crosses certain lines and disgraces the university, UT will not go all Auburn and circle the wagons to protect him.  We'll throw him under the bus and move on to the next guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Good Lord ... I check in on this thread every three days or so and it's just a fuckin' shit show.

Herman or die!

You expected enlightening, intelligent, rational discourse and timely information? Here?

15 minutes ago, wood said:

You expected enlightening, intelligent, rational discourse and timely information? Here?

Humor though for sure. We can’t let the OB mouth breathers get any tangible scoop. I thought there were a lot of super rich posters here. Go find out some shit damnit. I posted what I know which is we have money x 3 there for the taking. And honestly that’s not much. And duh everyone knows we have the cash. And that we need a big time turn around of our program to offset decade of a shit sundae with the cherry on top being Covid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Pretty much the same thing, reputation wise

One guy was untouchable until he got hired by a no name high school, which led to scathing national articles about that school and that hiring.

The other guy got hired to discuss football on a well respected national show that hundreds of thousands watch every Saturday.

Yup, seems like their reputations after leaving their previous jobs were pretty much the same.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Humor though for sure. We can’t let the OB mouth breathers get any tangible scoop. I thought there were a lot of super rich posters here. Go find out some shit damnit. I posted what I know which is we have money x 3 there for the taking. And honestly that’s not much. And duh everyone knows we have the cash. And that we need a big time turn around of our program to offset decade of a shit sundae with the cherry on top being Covid. 

Urban's daughter's name is Nicole. Rumor is that she is kind of hot.

One of the amazing things to me is there has been no talk of identifying the people who got it wrong about Tom Herman and making sure they are not involved in any way in the selection of the next head coach.

if you want to rebuild Texas football, start at the absolute foundation and remove those who get it wrong from the decision making process. 

Or, just let the same misguided people keep fucking it all up and driving the program further into the depths of the sewer. 

Im not confident the people who are pushing “St. Urban the Innocent” as the next head coach aren’t the same ones who pushed for “St. Thomas the Intellectually Enlightened” a few years ago. Or “St. Charlie the Pure” before that. All responsible for those shitshows need to explain why they should get another chance to get it wrong, yet again. 

Much like Jerry Jones is a cancer on the Cowboys, there are a small number of BMDs who need to be told to take their money and stay the fuck away from Texas football because their inability to hire a coach is massively fucking up Texas football. 

Removing Herman isn’t the problem. Texas football needs new leadership at all levels, because nothing has worked well for a long time. 

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Fuck You 1

One of the amazing things to me is there has been no talk of identifying the people who got it wrong about Tom Herman and making sure they are not involved in any way in the selection of the next head coach.
if you want to rebuild Texas football, start at the absolute foundation and remove those who get it wrong from the decision making process. 
Or, just let the same misguided people keep fucking it all up and driving the program further into the depths of the sewer. 
Im not confident the people who are pushing “St. Urban the Innocent” as the next head coach aren’t the same ones who pushed for “St. Thomas the Intellectually Enlightened” a few years ago. Or “St. Charlie the Pure” before that. All responsible for those shitshows need to explain why they should get another chance to get it wrong, yet again. 
Much like Jerry Jones is a cancer on the Cowboys, there are a small number of BMDs who need to be told to take their money and stay the fuck away from Texas football because their inability to hire a coach is massively fucking up Texas football. 
Removing Herman isn’t the problem. Texas football needs new leadership at all levels, because nothing has worked well for a long time. 

You sure do type a lot of words for someone that is this stupid. There is a New President and New AD for starters. As far as the BMD, I would imagine it is the same people but then again they are the ones that will be footing the bill so not sure how you replace that aspect, the money piece is kind of important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Much like Jerry Jones is a cancer on the Cowboys, there are a small number of BMDs who need to be told to stay the fuck away from Texas football because their inability to hire a coach is massively fucking up Texas football. 

Hmm... might be true for some posters on Surly

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

The answer to all of your questions is the same: $$$

11 minutes ago, kwood4408 said:

You sure do type a lot of words for someone that is this stupid. There is a New President and New AD for starters. As far as the BMD, I would imagine it is the same people but then again they are the ones that will be footing the bill so not sure how you replace that aspect, the money piece is kind of important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And he's literally spent a dozen pages telling everyone how the aforementioned new AD and new President have too much integrity and deeply ingrained moral fiber to consider Urban, regardless of external pressure. But now he's worried about who's involved in the decision making process? Am I on crazy pills?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Im not confident the people who are pushing “St. Urban the Innocent” as the next head coach aren’t the same ones who pushed for “St. Thomas the Intellectually Enlightened” a few years ago. Or “St. Charlie the Pure” before that.

I'm always sure that the people who want something I'm against were also wrong about everything in the past

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic