Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

He could have answered it how most coaches answer a question like that - 'that job is not open'.  Or, alternatively, 'the Cowboys already have a head coach'.  There are 100 different ways he could have answered besides saying 'I'll listen if they call'.

What if he had said to Colin when he first asked about Lincoln Riley taking the Cowboys job that wasn't open, "That's a stupid question because the Cowboys job isn't open and I don't even know Lincoln Riley so how the fuck would I know?" 

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

So, when Colin goes further and asks another hypothetical question that, if the Cowboys called, would you listen, and he says he would, you take that to mean he openly expressed interest in the Cowboys job? 

I mean, please explain to me how you take that to be something different?

On a national TV show he was asked if he would be interested in a job and he said yes.  How is that anything other than openly expressing interest in a job?

I'm trying to ignore you in general, but this sentence needs explaining.  If he wasn't interested in coaching, the answer would have been any number of responses other than the one he gave, right?  Am I that stupid or are you?

And you obviously have a desired outcome or you would mind your own fucking business and hang with the other water head Ohio State fans on your own site, and not be here on a Texas board discussing Urban.

Now please fuck off.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, jinx said:

I mean, please explain to me how you take that to be something different?

On a national TV show he was asked if he would be interested in a job and he said yes.  How is that anything other than openly expressing interest in a job?

I'm trying to ignore you in general, but this sentence needs explaining.  If he wasn't interested in coaching, the answer would have been any number of responses other than the one he gave, right?  Am I that stupid or are you?

And you obviously have a desired outcome or you would mind your own fucking business and hang with the other water head Ohio State fans on your own site, and not be here on a Texas board discussing Urban.

Now please fuck off.

The argument that Urban is interested in coaching in the NFL and that's evidence for why he's going to be the next coach at Texas is some fine mental gymnastics. Bonus points for degree of difficulty. 

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The argument that Urban is interested in coaching in the NFL and that's evidence for why he's going to be the next coach at Texas is some fine mental gymnastics. Bonus points for degree of difficulty. 

You didn't answer my question fuck nut.  Talk about mental gymnastics, it was a fairly simple question.  I'll ask more simply...

Does Urban saying he would listen to the Cowboys if they called, mean he was actually interested in the job, or do you need to verbal diarrhea another response of how he didn't really mean what he said?

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I hope you got your $9.95 worth for that info. 

No, I don't usually pay for access to common fucking knowledge. 

Do you really think Texas has not asked Urban, "Would you be interested in being our HC in 2021?" at this point? Maybe he said yes or said no or said he'd think about it - but you actually think we haven't even ASKED him the question?

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, jinx said:

You didn't answer my question fuck nut.  Talk about mental gymnastics, it was a fairly simple question.  I'll ask more simply...

Does Urban saying he would listen to the Cowboys if they called, mean he was actually interested in the job, or do you need to verbal diarrhea another response of how he didn't really mean what he said?

I think I was pretty clear about my history of hearing him express his disinterest in coaching in the NFL. There's also the evidence that if he wanted to get back into coaching and wanted to coach in the NFL then he'd probably be coaching in the NFL right now. 

The mental gymnastics is that you're reading into one throwaway comment that it reinforces your belief that Urban is going to take the Texas job, when if that throwaway comment was a true confession then he'd never take the Texas job. He'd take an NFL job which you are arguing that he's interested in. 

What's your opinion on his health issues? Do you think he faked a heart attack at Florida? 

Seriously guys, there is no reason for a buckeye fan to have any interest in Urban Meyer coaching Texas. It's not like he brought the S&C and the recruiting staffs with him from Florida and may bring them with him to Texas. It's not like Ohio State has been poaching top recruits from Texas that would dry up if Urban Meyer came to Texas. I totally believe him.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Flash said:

Seriously guys, there is no reason for a buckeye fan to have any interest in Urban Meyer coaching Texas. It's not like he brought the S&C and the recruiting staffs with him from Florida and may bring them with him to Texas. It's not like Ohio State has been poaching top recruits from Texas that would dry up if Urban Meyer came to Texas. I totally believe him.

Probably shitting himself that they might miss the boat on the post-Saban, Clemson down-year national championship in a couple seasons.

11 minutes ago, Flash said:

He has no dog in this fight. He just really, really doesn’t want to be wrong about the occupation of his former coach. But he’s totally not biased here. And he couldn’t care less, really.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I think I was pretty clear about my history of hearing him express his disinterest in coaching in the NFL. There's also the evidence that if he wanted to get back into coaching and wanted to coach in the NFL then he'd probably be coaching in the NFL right now. 

The mental gymnastics is that you're reading into one throwaway comment that it reinforces your belief that Urban is going to take the Texas job, when if that throwaway comment was a true confession then he'd never take the Texas job. He'd take an NFL job which you are arguing that he's interested in. 

What's your opinion on his health issues? Do you think he faked a heart attack at Florida? 

I have right next to zero belief that Urban will actually take the job at Texas, because Texas fucks this kind of thing up over and over again.  So you have me in the wrong camp buddy.  I would love to see him coach here, but I have zero faith we will make it happen.

I am in awe of your 20 year record of following Urban, since I really only started following him in his last year at Utah before he took over at UF.  You may have missed the fact that I also went to UF and know all about Urban as well.  If you recall, he was 'retiring' from coaching when he left Florida to spend time with his family due to health issues in December of 2010.  

What was he doing less than a year later?

I'm just waiting for you to admit you know jack shit, just like the rest of us, instead of insisting your buddy Urban ain't coming to Texas.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

He has no dog in this fight. He just really, really doesn’t want to be wrong about the occupation of his former coach. But he’s totally not biased here. And he couldn’t care less, really.

He already mentioned he was a "neutral observer" in the fire Herman thread.  A thread that he has not returned to.

9 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That's deflecting his question.  He specifically gave the context of just the Cowboys job, not the NFL as a whole.  It's quite possible that what he actually said in that context was accurate -- he would only consider the Dallas job specifically.  He was not going to get the Dallas job no matter his interest, I am very confident in that specific statement which is independent about speculating about UM's state of mind.  It's perfectly fine to doubt that his comment there means anything now, but to apply the logic that if he wanted to coach in the NFL, then he would be doing so makes no sense as it's a completely irrelevant and frankly illogical counter to his specific question.  

I would never try to read someone's mind, and of course what one person thinks at a given time can also change.  So even his statement on that show - or any other prior statement over many years and examples - doesn't necessarily mean anything because people aren't static that way.  How he feels right now - or even in one month, or six months - may change.  I'm not speaking to anything specific about Texas and UM at all, but I'm very confident that in the past (which frankly may mean nothing now in regards to Texas), UM was at least open to the Cowboys job and the Cowboys were not open to him being their coach.  (Jimmy Johnson/Jerry Jones history probably explains a lot of it in my mind)

19 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

UM is the "Steel Shank" of college coaching:

• Cutting edge
  • Elusive, "hard to handle"
  • Impossibly cunning
  • Sturdy, rock hard
  • "Beyond the horizon" planning and coordination
  • Likes to lay pipe

Shoots for explosive plays on top of a sturdy, bread and butter foundation.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, ztejas said:

No, I don't usually pay for access to common fucking knowledge. 

Do you really think Texas has not asked Urban, "Would you be interested in being our HC in 2021?" at this point? Maybe he said yes or said no or said he'd think about it - but you actually think we haven't even ASKED him the question?

I don't know. Neither do you. You're just guessing that what you want to believe is true. I don't care so I'd need some actual evidence to go on. 

If the question was asked, when do you suppose that happened? When we didn't even know if there would be a college football season because of the pandemic? Right after the Texas Tech game? Right after the TCU game? Right after the OU game? Surely not after the OSU game. Is Texas mathematically eliminated from a conference championship yet? If you're thinking like an AD and not as a fan then you can't assume the season is over before it actually is.

Every AD has a list of coaching candidates in his desk drawer. I suppose Urban's name is at the top of every one of them. If you're arguing that of course your program has reached out to Urban through back channels then probably so have a dozen other schools. 'Hey, we're not sure if we need a new coach yet, but just in case we do, would you be interested?' That falls into the category of, 'Everybody talks to everybody,' and doesn't really amount to much. 

Put me in the camp this makes way too much sense for Texas not to completely fuck it up. 

Too bad because if we decided just THIS ONE TIME to take no prisoners, Texas would rock. But we are a "public ivy" Cal Berkeley wannabe, so alas, not happening. 

9 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

this thread is the surly of surly threads. a bunch of idiots with no pull or significance arguing the fuck out of if meyer should be hired or not. as if any decision making assholes give a shit what you idiots care about.

....and?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Flash said:

He also brought Zach Smith from Florida to Ohio State. How do you feel about that?

I've seen Texas fans speculate that, after hiring Urban, he might bring Mickey Marotti, Mark Pantoni, Kerry Coombs, and Brian Hartline with him, as well as keeping his former assistants currently at Texas on his staff. (Curiously, I haven't seen any mentions about Larry Johnson, possibly the best DL coach in the nation. I wonder why that is.)

Maybe Urban will change your colors to scarlet and gray and start putting buckeye leaf stickers on your helmets! 

I score your backflip at 7.5. 

• Fuck You 1

34 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I don't know. Neither do you. You're just guessing that what you want to believe is true. I don't care so I'd need some actual evidence to go on. 

If the question was asked, when do you suppose that happened? When we didn't even know if there would be a college football season because of the pandemic? Right after the Texas Tech game? Right after the TCU game? Right after the OU game? Surely not after the OSU game. Is Texas mathematically eliminated from a conference championship yet? If you're thinking like an AD and not as a fan then you can't assume the season is over before it actually is.

Every AD has a list of coaching candidates in his desk drawer. I suppose Urban's name is at the top of every one of them. If you're arguing that of course your program has reached out to Urban through back channels then probably so have a dozen other schools. 'Hey, we're not sure if we need a new coach yet, but just in case we do, would you be interested?' That falls into the category of, 'Everybody talks to everybody,' and doesn't really amount to much. 

Not even reading this drivel. Go find a politics thread to pen your treatises on. No one here cares.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

He also brought Zach Smith from Florida to Ohio State. How do you feel about that?

I've seen Texas fans speculate that, after hiring Urban, he might bring Mickey Marotti, Mark Pantoni, Kerry Coombs, and Brian Hartline with him, as well as keeping his former assistants currently at Texas on his staff. (Curiously, I haven't seen any mentions about Larry Johnson, possibly the best DL coach in the nation. I wonder why that is.)

Maybe Urban will change your colors to scarlet and gray and start putting buckeye leaf stickers on your helmets! 

I score your backflip at 7.5. 

you are a beating.

...not quite a future man level of beating but very, very, very close.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic