Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

9 hours ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

There’s 0 reason not to hire Urban this week.  He has a OC and DC he knows,  uses the rest of the year to figure out how he wants things done, and get some recruits back aboard.   

One stipulation is a damn near unlimited budget for assistants. Most likely no one from the current staff will be retained (this is for actual coaches). I’m telling you guys, this is a “hand the keys over, and watch from over there” type of deal. Also, the win tonight does damn near nothing to the plan. Herman is still in hot water. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

There’s 0 reason not to hire Urban this week.  He has a OC and DC he knows,  uses the rest of the year to figure out how he wants things done, and get some recruits back aboard.   

Wouldn't the fact that there's no job opening be a reason not to hire him?

• Haha 1

One stipulation is a damn near unlimited budget for assistants. Most likely no one from the current staff will be retained (this is for actual coaches). I’m telling you guys, this is a “hand the keys over, and watch from over there” type of deal. Also, the win tonight does damn near nothing to the plan. Herman is still in hot water. 
Craps MILF, Porti Potty chick, Uber driver, Chow's 7-11 guy, is that you?

6 hours ago, RVC2005 said:

Go back and read CDC's love note from Sept 1.

https://texassports.com/news/2020/9/1/forty-acres-insider-sept-1.aspx

Texas athletics is struggling financially due to the Covid epidemic and was unable to make its most recent debt payment on its roughly $200 million in outstanding public debt.

Let me repeat that - less than 60 days ago, the UT AD publicly stated UT athletics cannot currently pay all of its outstanding bills and is in significant financial distress.

Roughly 20% of Bellmont's staff positions have been eliminated. Remaining staff is having to take pay cuts. The money is not there to meet the payments on Tom Herman's existing contract. And the worst of the financial ramifications have not yet hit. Significantly, the donors have not stepped up to fill the financial hole UT athletics is currently facing. (The financial hole currently looks to be about $40 mil for 2019/2020 FY and another $40 mil for 2020/2021.)

And your solution to responsibly managing UT athletics is to embark on an "unlimited" spending spree. With what money?

Cash flow from operations is not sufficient to pay the existing obligations. UT Athletics is struggling to pay its bills and will have MANY deferred obligations to pay once free cash flow again materializes. Donors have not stepped up to fill the void. Evidently the financial reserves have been expended.  Additional debt to fund "unlimited" spending is not an option.

Step out of the world you are in and step into the reality that has to be factored into any plan for the future.

This is not the time to be making a coaching change. Bellmont simply can't afford it. And before you say, "the donors will pay for all of it," let me remind you again, the donors have not stepped up to fill the financial hole that reared its ugly head starting last spring. This fantasy world of unlimited spending of other people's money isn't today's reality. We cannot get into a situation where Ut athletics digs itself such a financial hole that Bellmont struggles just to keep up paying last year's bills. To do otherwise would be irresponsible waste of donor funds and if the donors believe Bellmont is irresponsibly handling donations, donations will dry up.

People think football is the cash cow of UT Austin and UT athletics. It isn't. Donors are the cash cows.

This simply isn't the time to demonstrate how irresponsibly an athletic department can be managed, just to appease the loudest voices on social media. I wish the facts were different, but they are what they are. Which is "bleak" at the moment. 

12 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Texas athletics is struggling financially due to the Covid epidemic and was unable to make its most recent debt payment on its roughly $200 million in outstanding public debt.

Let me repeat that - less than 60 days ago, the UT AD publicly stated UT athletics cannot currently pay all of its outstanding bills and is in significant financial distress.

Roughly 20% of Bellmont's staff positions have been eliminated. Remaining staff is having to take pay cuts. The money is not there to meet the payments on Tom Herman's existing contract. And the worst of the financial ramifications have not yet hit. Significantly, the donors have not stepped up to fill the financial hole UT athletics is currently facing. (The financial hole currently looks to be about $40 mil for 2019/2020 FY and another $40 mil for 2020/2021.)

And your solution to responsibly managing UT athletics is to embark on an "unlimited" spending spree. With what money?

Cash flow from operations is not sufficient to pay the existing obligations. UT Athletics is struggling to pay its bills and will have MANY deferred obligations to pay once free cash flow again materializes. Donors have not stepped up to fill the void. Evidently the financial reserves have been expended.  Additional debt to fund "unlimited" spending is not an option.

Step out of the world you are in and step into the reality that has to be factored into any plan for the future.

This is not the time to be making a coaching change. Bellmont simply can't afford it. And before you say, "the donors will pay for all of it," let me remind you again, the donors have not stepped up to fill the financial hole that reared its ugly head starting last spring. This fantasy world of unlimited spending of other people's money isn't today's reality. We cannot get into a situation where Ut athletics digs itself such a financial hole that Bellmont struggles just to keep up paying last year's bills. To do otherwise would be irresponsible waste of donor funds and if the donors believe Bellmont is irresponsibly handling donations, donations will dry up.

People think football is the cash cow of UT Austin and UT athletics. It isn't. Donors are the cash cows.

This simply isn't the time to demonstrate how irresponsibly an athletic department can be managed, just to appease the loudest voices on social media. I wish the facts were different, but they are what they are. Which is "bleak" at the moment. 

You really can be a sniveling coward that sits to pee at all times. 
what you seem to be overlooking is that an additional 20 million on the football staffing nothing NOTHING compared to the cost of continuing to allow the Herm to burn down the program and the resulting apathy that comes from that. 
If Herm truly was given the ultimatum of win the conference of walk the plank CDC gonna fire him and fuck your face about all this Covid budget shortfall nonsense. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

want to take a guess as to why?

• Like 5

You're comparing apples to oranges. If I'm a donor with unlimited funds, and UT football is shit, and everyone is struggling temporarily across the board in the pandemic, then I see no reason to come out of pocket to pay the athletic department's debts. Lenders will renegotiate with the university and all will be fine in a few years. There's just no need to pony up $40 million of my own money.

However, if we have the rare opportunity to restore Texas football to national prominence by hiring one of the greatest coaches in a generation, that's a totally different value proposition. That's a chance to change the future and build a legacy. That's exactly the sort of thing that will get the attention of BMDs.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You really can be a sniveling coward that sits to pee at all times. 
what you seem to be overlooking is that an additional 20 million on the football staffing nothing NOTHING compared to the cost of continuing to allow the Herm to burn down the program and the resulting apathy that comes from that. 
If Herm truly was given the ultimatum of win the conference of walk the plank CDC gonna fire him and fuck your face about all this Covid budget shortfall nonsense. 

I wish I could rep this 20x. 

Apathy is the exact problem we need to head off. Yesterday’s win was/should be a big deal. My reaction was to wonder whether we’re just going to toss out another winning lottery ticket this year only to buy an unscratched one after next season.

I’m usually on the optimistic side of the fan base. I have no optimism left to give. If I’m that way, imagine the droves of glass-half-empty types. COVID deficits stopping necessary change is the epitome of penny wise, pound foolishness. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

No man. You can’t replace a CEO that is tanking a company and driving its stock price to $0. Its the worst time to do that, especially when there is a CEO available that has turned around 2 companies previously and driven them to record profits. No company would possibly have the strategic vision to invest in that turnaround.

but what if the available CEO wasn't a nice guy?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

that's like saying medicine doesn't cure illness, doctors do

Science cures illnesses (or not). Doctors simply apply the science.

There is also a science to mathematics. As in financial mathematics.

In the end, the science always prevails.

There is no one savior who will turn around the fortunes of UT athletics (in any major sport). Every successful organization is successful because of the contributions at every level. Having the right people throughout the organization requires investing in people.

"St. Urban the Innocent" will not come and lead the flock to the promised land if the athletics department under him is struggling to pay their bills because of salary cuts. Knowing the money was always available, but not made available to mitigate staff cuts and pay cuts, would detrimentally affect the UT athletics department for years.

We can't pay Tom Herman's current contract. We can't pay our public debt obligations. No one has addressed how those major problems get addressed other than to wish them away with other people's money or to insist the way out of debt is ever higher levels of spending. The athletics department is struggling to maintain solvency. And people want the program to be even more beholden to a small number of BMDs who haven't gotten a hiring decision in any major sport right since 1998. All, to bring in a "genius savior."

Balance the books. Let Michigan set the standard for irresponsible coaching decisions. Look at the situation this time next year.

Urban Meyer represents the petulant frustrations of short-sighted individuals.

8 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

so you now you want to argue the precision of simile

Edited by SwanderedTalent

25 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

How? What’s the Randolph Duke plan to balance the budget?

@Randolph Duke, what is the plan? You’ve made clear the current strategy has led to financial ruin. And to my knowledge, your sole suggestion is to wait a year and...what? What’s the plan to balance the books?

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

There is no one savior who will turn around the fortunes of UT athletics (in any major sport). Every successful organization is successful because of the contributions at every level. Having the right people throughout the organization requires investing in people.

"St. Urban the Innocent" will not come and lead the flock to the promised land if the athletics department under him is struggling to pay their bills because of salary cuts. Knowing the money was always available, but not made available to mitigate staff cuts and pay cuts, would detrimentally affect the UT athletics department for years.

We can't pay Tom Herman's current contract. We can't pay our public debt obligations. No one has addressed how those major problems get addressed other than to wish them away with other people's money or to insist the way out of debt is ever higher levels of spending. The athletics department is struggling to maintain solvency. And people want the program to be even more beholden to a small number of BMDs who haven't gotten a hiring decision in any major sport right since 1998. All, to bring in a "genius savior."

Balance the books. Let Michigan set the standard for irresponsible coaching decisions. Look at the situation this time next year.

Urban Meyer represents the petulant frustrations of short-sighted individuals.

I can't believe I am responding to one of your posts but here goes:

You literally just said that donors are the cash cow of UT Athletics.  Donors are currently sitting on their wallets for donations and merchandise.  Apathy has set in at all levels.

How does apathy set in?  Because the money doesn't have faith in investing in the product that they are seeing and the T-shirt fans don't want to buy your garbage you are selling.

How do you combat apathy?  By hiring a proven winner coach that energizes the fan base and gets the BMDs to pony up their money again.  If Herman is the head coach next fall, we will have the lowest ticket sales and donation levels in decades(noncovid).

• Hook 'Em 5

You're comparing apples to oranges. If I'm a donor with unlimited funds, and UT football is shit, and everyone is struggling temporarily across the board in the pandemic, then I see no reason to come out of pocket to pay the athletic department's debts. Lenders will renegotiate with the university and all will be fine in a few years. There's just no need to pony up $40 million of my own money.

However, if we have the rare opportunity to restore Texas football to national prominence by hiring one of the greatest coaches in a generation, that's a totally different value proposition. That's a chance to change the future and build a legacy. That's exactly the sort of thing that will get the attention of BMDs.
This should be quoted in reply to every post RD is making on this subject.

The problem with Randolph's argument is that it assumes there's a fixed pool of money and we're deciding how to allocate it.

Meyer creates incremental funds, likely not only to cover his expense but to help the program above and beyond his expense.

There are some legitimate reasons you could consider for why our AD might second guess Meyer, but not being able to afford him is just asinine.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

@Randolph Duke, what is the plan? You’ve made clear the current strategy has led to financial ruin. And to my knowledge, your sole suggestion is to wait a year and...what? What’s the plan to balance the books?

Clearly his plan is to not balance the books and just sit and wait for another year.

9 hours ago, RVC2005 said:

Urban, is that you?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

This should be quoted in reply to every post RD is making on this subject.

The problem with Randolph's argument is that it assumes there's a fixed pool of money and we're deciding how to allocate it.

Meyer creates incremental funds, likely not only to cover his expense but to help the program above and beyond his expense.

There are some legitimate reasons you could consider for why our AD might second guess Meyer, but not being able to afford him is just asinine.

shit if Urban is the coach the next LHN Contract could be 20M a year.  that would pay for half of his 10M.  There is a cash cow that could cover his cost sitting right down the street if we could get football and basketball right.

Edited by dcar00
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Zeus said:

Ok grampa, we are totally all in on Urban it's totally gonna happen. We're Texas, after just buying new coordinators for our 4th year coach, with no off-season. We're going to abandon all that and just buy a twice retired hall of fame coach with brain spiders and a comfy commentator job. For sure

21 hours ago, Zeus said:

Lol I'm 33. When I joined Facebook as a freshman it was college kids only and it was the first year in existence. It's since turned into a Walmart t-shirt fan haven for know it all old farts who think Urban is going to come save the day. Then I come to shaggy and it's the same sad shit.

He's not coming, if you hate Herman you should push for a realistic replacement, not some dumb fantasy.

image.thumb.png.8dcd20e5d39b06ced9a91074a128613f.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 10/6/2020 at 8:45 PM, TexasBeta said:

Funny you would say this - this is exactly my thoughts in terms of how UT admin sees the sports programs at UT. They want us like Stanford or Cal where women's sports win more than the men and admission policies are top 4% .. that is where they want the institution. Research, Public Ivy and oh yeah.. we win some sports every now and then but only the ones that are not as barbaric as football. This is why whenever anybody says UT should join the SEC I roll my eyes.. Never in a million years will the UT Admin want to rub elbows with the likes of Miss State, Auburn or Alabama - I'm sure they held their noses when the stupid farmers came around.  They want Stanford, Cal, UNC, Virginia, etc.  

The UT admin acts like the girl who thinks she is a lot prettier than she actually is. Our graduate programs in many disciplines, like law and business, are in the top tier. The truth is most of our undergrad and other grad programs are in the tOSU, UF and UGA tier of schools. Those schools don’t pretend to be what they’re not and kick ass on the football field. We have put ourselves in the worst of both worlds. Not good enough to be either. The truth is we are a good state school in the South. There is nothing wrong with that. I wish we’d act more like Florida, Georgia and Ohio States of the world and not delude ourselves to think we are in the Stanford, Cal and Michigan tier academically.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

The UT admin acts like the girl who thinks she is a lot prettier than she actually is. Our graduate programs in many disciplines, like law and business, are in the top tier. The truth is most of our undergrad and other grad programs are in the tOSU, UF and UGA tier of schools. Those schools don’t pretend to be what they’re not and kick ass on the football field. We have put ourselves in the worst of both worlds. Not good enough to be either. The truth is we are a good state school in the South. There is nothing wrong with that. I wish we’d act more like Florida, Georgia and Ohio States of the world and not delude ourselves to think we are in the Stanford, Cal and Michigan tier academically.

Too lazy to go back and find the post you’re quoting...but fucking LOL at the admin scoffing at rubbing elbows with the auburn, Alabama and miss states of the world while they play the likes Kansas state, Texas tech and Oklahoma. Talk about some educational powerhouses.

• Hook 'Em 2

So what you're saying is..

Bust

9 minutes ago, ousux said:

So what you're saying is..

Bust

No what he is saying is that he is full of shit like always. RD is trying to pretend that he has some secret info and sources inside the administration when in reality he is just taking public press releases and adding his own wild conjecture. He has Zero idea what the actual people in power are doing or planing behind close doors.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Juicy said:

With that W against OSU yesterday can Michigan get in on this UMeyer or bust sweepstakes?

I mean his initials are UM?

He may not come here, but I would think Michigan would not be an option if he values his and his family’s safety. Plus, think of the couch shortage it would create in Ohio. Buckeye fans would have no place to sit.

• Haha 1

He may not come here, but I would think Michigan would not be an option if he values his and his family’s safety. Plus, think of the couch shortage it would create in Ohio. Buckeye fans would have no place to sit.

I feel like Uncle Urb is a vengeful fuck. Sticking it to O$U for making him sit out 3 games by going to Michigan would be amazing. For me at least.

#fanfic

8 minutes ago, Juicy said:

I feel like Uncle Urb is a vengeful fuck. Sticking it to O$U for making him sit out 3 games by going to Michigan would be amazing. For me at least.

#fanfic

Yes and no, and I think that plays into our favor.  From his stint on Fox, I don't think he's lost any love for OSU.  The grin he had when they started the halftime show of the MIchigan game was the very definition of shit eating.  I think he views what happened to him at OSU as between him and the President (who's gone now) and the board.  On the other hand, I think the animosity between he and mensa is real, and it's spectacular.  For him, the notion of coming into Austin and doing what mensa failed at completely gives him at least a 3/4 chub.

16 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I don’t think urban would consider Michigan and I suspect the feelings mutual.  Same with us and stoops

Get it out of your mind that Urban Meyer has any sort of ethics. Urban Meyer would consider things few of us would consider. 

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Fuck You 2

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic