Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

8 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

I’d take Jim Tressel at this point.

He'd win a lot of games. Sometimes he'd drive you crazy. But he'd treat your rivalry game as the most important game on your schedule, not just another game. And he'd win it more often than not. 

Jim Tressel is awesome. I'd rather have a beer (and a cigar) with Jim Tressel than Urban Meyer. 

I was criticized in 2014, after Tressel became the president of Youngstown State, when I said he'd never go back into coaching. But he's an educator first and foremost and he viewed football as a means of educating young people and bettering their lives. As the president of a university he can help in the education of a lot more young lives than a football coach can. That's why I knew he was done with coaching, on the football field, anyway. 

Some of you probably believe some bullshit you read about Tressel in the national sports media just like you do about Meyer. When Maurice Clarett got vindictive and leveled unfounded and unsupported allegations against Tressel in an ESPN The Magazine article, that sullied Tressel's reputation. But when Clarett flamed out in his bid to sue the NFL to go pro early, got into drugs and alcohol and flamed out again when he finally did get his shot in the pros, and then completely flamed out and wound up in jail, Tressel was still there for him. He stayed in touch with him, he helped get him back into school when he got out of jail, and helped him get rehabilitated. He may have saved his life. Tressel is a man who knows the name of every player he ever coached and cares about all of them regardless of how they performed on the field. 

Maurice Clarett would be dead to Urban Meyer if he pulled that shit on him. And Urban probably would've actually kicked Tom Friend's ass for writing that bogus article. "Mr. So-and-so?" You're actually going to publish that? If you haven't noticed, Urban takes issue with what he perceives as unfair criticism in the media. 

Tressel was brilliant when it came to the media. They hated him because he wouldn't give them anything. One of his players described it by saying you could ask him what time it was and he'd spend ten minutes telling you how to make a watch and never tell you what time it was. And he had a subtle, dry sense of humor that always went over their heads. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

The issue of money from the rich boosters is a non-issue. COVID has fucked a lot of people, but it has given next-level blowjobs to the wealthy. Their net wealth has skyrocketed during COVID, so skimming a bit off for a buyout wouldn't even be noticed compared to wealth before COVID. (They could even make a like donation to the school to shut up any faculty.)

I used to give a fuck about this, but not anymore. We are all very familiar with sociopaths these days and I'd happily trade 3 to 5 good years and a shot at a national championship for 5 years of probation. We've basically been on TEN YEARS of probation, so I think that we all know what it feels like to suck.

BIG FUCKING DEAL !!

Idk much about the first part of this

but I am fucking in for the second.  “It’ll end up in a scandal”. Who fucking cares.  We’re in a fucking scandal right now with Turtle Tom making the money he does to coach this team into the ground.  It’s been 11 years since we won something worth a fuck.  3-5 of awesome for 3-5 of suck, could probably handle that.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Man, honestly, you don't even need to work on his image. Let's face it: our society has a short memory. Urban isn't Art Briles or JoePa. The average American probably doesn't even remember why he got fired from tOSU. All they know is that he's one hell of a football coach, and he's currently yucking it up on TV with Reggie Bush. He's not in football exile.

Sure, there will be some upset tweets, maybe even a couple of scathing articles. But the prevailing story will be, "Holy shit, Texas is back."

Any AD not residing in Tuscaloosa or Clemson that doesn't take a serious, serious look at Urban Meyer if he says he's interested should be immediately fired.

And this coming from someone who thought Urbs was college football Satan well before Zach Smith.

Speaking of, I don't remember: how much heat did Herman really take for being a friend of Smith's?

You're an idiot. 

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

or even that he wasn't in fact fired!

My point exactly. I clearly don't even remember the specifics, and I hang out on a college football message board. Most normal people couldn't even tell you who Zach Smith is.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Well, 99%. "Fired" instead of "suspended" was a pretty big oversight on my part.

it was the perfect example of the entirety of your point: you follow this shit too closely and even you don't know care enough to know the actual details.

the narrative isn't going to be 'ERMYGAWD texas sold its soul to the devil, remember how evil Urban is?!?!' it'll be 'Welp, Texas is about to go on a tear.'

in other words...

spacer.png

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Yeah, didn’t Tressal have a show cause placed on him when he left?

Yes, for five years, and every time a coaching position came open during that period, fans of the various teams brought up his name. Because he's a proven coach. And the show cause penalty isn't an actual ban.

He deserved the penalty because of NCAA rules. But what Pryor and his friends did wouldn't be an NCAA violation next year. I'd bet most of you agree that it shouldn't be. Tressel was put in a tough situation. None of the "Tattoogate" players committed an actual crime. (And suspending them for NCAA violations might have actually interfered with an active FBI/IRS investigation into the criminal activities of the tattoo parlor). What was he supposed to do? What anyone might suggest he should've otherwise done in that situation would amount to him ratting on his players. I think he was hamstrung because that doesn't fit in his philosophy. His entire philosophy was about helping young people and you can't credibly say that he was a "win at all costs" coach if you ever paid any attention to his game. 

I think he knew the situation. I think he abided by his personal philosophy. I think he knew the probable outcome, and I think he was always at peace with it. 

I'd vote for him for Senator on either ticket. 

My favorite RD moment was after Blacklab announced new Shaggy owners.   This site was already up and running and people were giving cryptic codes about the name.  RD was talking about how he was going to talk to BL and get to the bottom of whether there was going to be a new site.  Finally someone had to tell this dipshit the new site was Surly and it was already up and running.  He couldn't read between the lines and thought he was some insider with BL.  It was embarrassing for him.

25 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

My favorite RD moment was after Blacklab announced new Shaggy owners.   This site was already up and running and people were giving cryptic codes about the name.  RD was talking about how he was going to talk to BL and get to the bottom of whether there was going to be a new site.  Finally someone had to tell this dipshit the new site was Surly and it was already up and running.  He couldn't read between the lines and thought he was some insider with BL.  It was embarrassing for him.

Interesting story. Not true, but interesting.

I was BL's contact for tickets to the Dell match play. We had been in touch a lot during that week. If you remember, there was an alternate url being used when the new site first launched.

But thanks for your story. It's always interesting to see what alternative memories people have.

13 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Interesting story. Not true, but interesting.

I was BL's contact for tickets to the Dell match play. We had been in touch a lot during that week. If you remember, there was an alternate url being used when the new site first launched.

But thanks for your story. It's always interesting to see what alternative memories people have.

I blame those red ass aggys.   

Yes, for five years, and every time a coaching position came open during that period, fans of the various teams brought up his name. Because he's a proven coach. And the show cause penalty isn't an actual ban.
He deserved the penalty because of NCAA rules. But what Pryor and his friends did wouldn't be an NCAA violation next year. I'd bet most of you agree that it shouldn't be. Tressel was put in a tough situation. None of the "Tattoogate" players committed an actual crime. (And suspending them for NCAA violations might have actually interfered with an active FBI/IRS investigation into the criminal activities of the tattoo parlor). What was he supposed to do? What anyone might suggest he should've otherwise done in that situation would amount to him ratting on his players. I think he was hamstrung because that doesn't fit in his philosophy. His entire philosophy was about helping young people and you can't credibly say that he was a "win at all costs" coach if you ever paid any attention to his game. 
I think he knew the situation. I think he abided by his personal philosophy. I think he knew the probable outcome, and I think he was always at peace with it. 
I'd vote for him for Senator on either ticket. 

Well since everyone from grandparents to their grandkids are all tatted up and shit now, he won’t have any issues.

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

Imagine not getting the new site DM’d to you upon its creation. 

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

He'd win a lot of games. Sometimes he'd drive you crazy. But he'd treat your rivalry game as the most important game on your schedule, not just another game. And he'd win it more often than not. 

Jim Tressel is awesome. I'd rather have a beer (and a cigar) with Jim Tressel than Urban Meyer. 

I was criticized in 2014, after Tressel became the president of Youngstown State, when I said he'd never go back into coaching. But he's an educator first and foremost and he viewed football as a means of educating young people and bettering their lives. As the president of a university he can help in the education of a lot more young lives than a football coach can. That's why I knew he was done with coaching, on the football field, anyway. 

Some of you probably believe some bullshit you read about Tressel in the national sports media just like you do about Meyer. When Maurice Clarett got vindictive and leveled unfounded and unsupported allegations against Tressel in an ESPN The Magazine article, that sullied Tressel's reputation. But when Clarett flamed out in his bid to sue the NFL to go pro early, got into drugs and alcohol and flamed out again when he finally did get his shot in the pros, and then completely flamed out and wound up in jail, Tressel was still there for him. He stayed in touch with him, he helped get him back into school when he got out of jail, and helped him get rehabilitated. He may have saved his life. Tressel is a man who knows the name of every player he ever coached and cares about all of them regardless of how they performed on the field. 

Maurice Clarett would be dead to Urban Meyer if he pulled that shit on him. And Urban probably would've actually kicked Tom Friend's ass for writing that bogus article. "Mr. So-and-so?" You're actually going to publish that? If you haven't noticed, Urban takes issue with what he perceives as unfair criticism in the media. 

Tressel was brilliant when it came to the media. They hated him because he wouldn't give them anything. One of his players described it by saying you could ask him what time it was and he'd spend ten minutes telling you how to make a watch and never tell you what time it was. And he had a subtle, dry sense of humor that always went over their heads. 

A number of years ago, I booked a fly fishing trip at the Blue Damsel Lodge in Montana.  Lovely venue, great fishing, wonderful food.  My boat mate for the week was an enormous man named "Dutch" who was a delightful fishing companion.  As the week passed, I learned that he had played linebacker at Ohio State and had tackled O.J. Simpson for a nine yard loss in the Rose Bowl.  He had been a cowboy, was a US Marine Viet  Nam war vet, and could cast a beautiful, delicate loop.  For no apparent reason, his cell phone rang in the middle of the BitterRoot River one afternoon, and he had a pleasant discussion with the dude on the other end.  Dutch was full of reassurance, and encouragement, and downplayed whatever the situation was.  After he hung up, he answered my unasked question by saying "That was Jim Tressel.  He's all worried because a couple of his players traded autographs for tattoos.  I told him to self report, and that it was surely no big deal."  I asked him what he did for a living, and he allowed that he was the Executive Director of the NCAA Division I Athletic Directors Association.  I haven't spoken to him for a few years, but I still consider him a friend.  And, I still consider myself a little bit of an OSU fan because of that week in a drift boat with a truly interesting man.  For years, I have pondered how one Jim Tressel would look in a burnt orange sweater vest. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Yep, totally forgot they reduced his "indefinite" suspension to 3 games. As it turns out, I don't give a flying fuck about Ohio State athletics.

1) I had completely forgotten that there was even a suspension of UM, but looked it up after...

2) I had messaged an exgirlfriend/Ohio State grad who lives in Columbus, OH and told her that even though I had mentioned what scum UM was, I wanted him to be our next coach.

3) The ex has been becoming more and more of feminist over the lasts 5 to 8 years and she thought that UM had stepped down SOLELY DUE TO HEALTH REASONS. She only remembered that Tressel had left during a scandal, but had zero memory of anything regarding UM. She had to research it and then said "Oh, that was much worse than Tressel."...

4) Which is what led me to looking it up again and that's when I was reminded that UM was suspended. (And I follow this shit.)

9 hours ago, 40acredropout said:

Has there been one single substantiated report of interest - either way - between us and Urban?

Dude, you can help us out with this.  I'm covering the craps tables, you stake out there porta potties.  We just need someone at the airport, someone f5ing flight aware, and an Austin realtor.

4 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Well since everyone from grandparents to their grandkids are all tatted up and shit now, he won’t have any issues.

If Andy Geiger had remained the AD and wasn't replaced by Gene Smith, the compliance department would've investigated how Terelle Pryor paid for that big "Block O" tattoo. That tattoo made all the papers. It was big news in Buckeye Nation when he got it. I had no idea that it was something that would cost more than $1,000 to get. But it wasn't my job to know that.

3 hours ago, Deej said:

shutterstock_5884718ab.jpg

I'm not gay but I want to live in a log cabin in the woods with Jim Tressel. We won't ever have sex, but there will be a simmering erotic undercurrent as I stand in the kitchen window watching him tighten his ass as he chops wood, shirtless, sweat pouring off his body. I'll run upstairs and masturbate, the entire time forcing myself to think of women while my thoughts drift back to Jim. I won't be able to climax and I'll eventually go back downstairs, angry. Sometimes we will look across the table and catch each other's eyes, and in that second, anything is possible, but we both deny ourselves and go back to what we were doing. One day one of us will die, and the other will bury him outside the log cabin. Then he'll go inside, pen a brief missive to his departed friend, and commit suicide, never able to deal with life without his one true platonic love.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not gay but I want to live in a log cabin in the woods with Jim Tressel. We won't ever have sex, but there will be a simmering erotic undercurrent as I stand in the kitchen window watching him tighten his ass as he chops wood, shirtless, sweat pouring off his body. I'll run upstairs and masturbate, the entire time forcing myself to think of women while my thoughts drift back to Jim. I won't be able to climax and I'll eventually go back downstairs, angry. Sometimes we will look across the table and catch each other's eyes, and in that second, anything is possible, but we both deny ourselves and go back to what we were doing. One day one of us will die, and the other will bury him outside the log cabin. Then he'll go inside, pen a brief missive to his departed friend, and commit suicide, never able to deal with life without his one true platonic love.

Blink 182 Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, NoName said:

Flying The X Files GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

edit: you are going to have to do something to show you aren't a troll - because 0 posting history, 0 bona fides and posting stuff like "Briles was brought up but was a hard no" doesn't inspire any kind of real faith in what you are saying. in fact the Briles stuff makes it pretty obv to me you are trolling.

I understand your thinking. Hell I would think the same. I’m only putting out there what I know. 

edit: when I said that Briles was brought up, he was brought up in a nonserious manner. 

Edited by RVC2005

7 minutes ago, RVC2005 said:

I understand your thinking. Hell I would think the same. I’m only putting out there what I know. 

edit: when I said that Briles was brought up, he was brought up in a nonserious manner. 

In a nonserious manner, just like the guy that jokingly suggests a threesome with his wife and her hot friend after a couple of drinks.

The biggest issue that the admin is going to have with Urban is that he made it clear in his power struggle with the OSU Prez and subsequent taking his ball and going home is that he believes that he and his program answer to no one, and if the university doesn't like that arrangement, he'll say his heart or his brain or his liver is broke and go home.  There wasn't the Florida type off field shit going down at OSU, there were no ncaa scandals and covering for the wife beater seems to have been a one-off based on who the wife beater's grandfather was.  There's not a lot to concern CDC and Hartzell from his OSU stint other than the fact that Urban believes that he doesn't answer to them, won't be held accountable by them and will pack it up and leave if they don't like it.  

19 minutes ago, Lenny Hornridge said:

The biggest issue that the admin is going to have with Urban is that he made it clear in his power struggle with the OSU Prez and subsequent taking his ball and going home is that he believes that he and his program answer to no one, and if the university doesn't like that arrangement, he'll say his heart or his brain or his liver is broke and go home.  There wasn't the Florida type off field shit going down at OSU, there were no ncaa scandals and covering for the wife beater seems to have been a one-off based on who the wife beater's grandfather was.  There's not a lot to concern CDC and Hartzell from his OSU stint other than the fact that Urban believes that he doesn't answer to them, won't be held accountable by them and will pack it up and leave if they don't like it.  

That’s the arrangement we need to right the ship. If you think we should continue as we have with the football program you’re a fool. Outside of Mack Brown we have been dog shit at hiring coaches since DKR. Akers was above average with that said but we all know how horrible that ended. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That’s the arrangement we need to right the ship. If you think we should continue as we have with the football program you’re a fool. Outside of Mack Brown we have been dog shit at hiring coaches. 

I never commented as to whether it is or isn't what UT needs.  Actually, I believe that Texas needs somebody who'll tell everyone from the faculty to the big cigars to go fuck themselves and stay out of my business.  My point is that will CDC, Hartzell and Board be willing to take on that coach when there's a concrete expectation from him that he's not to be questioned and his program is a power unto itself within the university?  That's a big jump for any university administration much less one that seems to thinks it's running Berkeley not Texas.  

6 minutes ago, Lenny Hornridge said:

I never commented as to whether it is or isn't what UT needs.  Actually, I believe that Texas needs somebody who'll tell everyone from the faculty to the big cigars to go fuck themselves and stay out of my business.  My point is that will CDC, Hartzell and Board be willing to take on that coach when there's a concrete expectation from him that he's not to be questioned and his program is a power unto itself within the university?  That's a big jump for any university administration much less one that seems to thinks it's running Berkeley not Texas.  

This can't be a serious question.

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That’s the arrangement we need to right the ship. If you think we should continue as we have with the football program you’re a fool. Outside of Mack Brown we have been dog shit at hiring coaches since DKR. Akers was above average with that said but we all know how horrible that ended. 

This is what is disturbing.  The successful "Mack Years" seem more like an anomaly that the norm.  The multiple decades preceding him and the decade following bear this out.   We have to get this right.  No more fucking around 

4 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

This can't be a serious question.

It's absolutely a serious question as to whether our current administration is going to hire a football coach who's attitude from day one will be, "you're not my boss, stay out of my fucking business."  Urban's exit at OSU, I think, makes it pretty clear that's going to be his expectation for taking any job.  It's why Trojan Fan seems to believe that their administration will never hire him.  I'm just wondering whether Texas' will.  I'm not making any statement on whether I think they should (I do).  But this is the view that CDC and Hartzell are going to get on day one.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm probably in the minority here, but fuck hiring any coach that expects " not to be questioned and his program is a power unto itself within the university". That's how your university ends up a national disgrace like Baylor and Penn State. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic