Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You’ve probably heard of Bruce Cassidy.  A top tOSU donor and  good buddy of Urban’s.  They’ve golfed multiple times in the past few weeks.

I said I’d update after we met and that’s this.  Those very close to Urban are very sure he’s done.  But I’m sure Urban thinks he’s done up until the second he’s not.  Anyway, the comparison I got was Jimmy Johnson - a guy who left in his prime and by all accounts has had zero regrets.  

Wish it was some crazy scoop but only fun part is what everyone here could have guessed anyway - he will listen because he can’t stand TH and gets a laugh out of the shit TH is catching these days.  

edit: I said I’d post what I heard.  I wouldn’t put a nickel on Urban not ending up at UT.  

22 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

How do you know that statement wasn't released after Urban refused the job?

I don't know if Urban wants to get back into coaching. Neither do you or anyone else. I do know the brain cyst is real, he has a job at Fox Sports, he still has a job as Assistant Athletic Director at tOSU, he has a nice house in Muirfield Village overlooking Jack's golf course where I here he's fond of playing, and there's a pandemic going on. 

Obligatory

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

What?

I didn't start a thread on it bc it's not my place (as an idiot Sooner) and I hate 9.95 shit.  I do business with some people who are very close with Urban.  I met a certain person who speaks with Urban all the damn time.  Almost as a joke I posted the date I had dinner with the big cigar and said I'd ask him what Urban was saying - so I posted it here.  I don't really give a shit but I said I'd share whatever word was out there and that was it.  Do I put much stock in what anyone thinks right now?  No...but there's definitely not details of a contract being discussed as of today.  Also, one thing I didn't mention is the cyst thing isn't some BS - did I see an MRI?  No, but I found it interesting because I had assumed the health stuff was just excuses to bail at each spot when some shady shit was about to drop (or already did)...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, wood said:

Just wanna make sure I'm reading you right here...

So, you wouldn't bet against Urban ending up here, or you wouldn't bet for him ending up here?

Anyway, thanks for posting your intel...

The way I posted that was confusing...I mean even though I hear 'no, he's done coaching'...I, personally, would not bet on that and wouldn't be too surprised to see him end up at UT.  But the stuff WhatTheBuck is posting matches up with what I heard - and what we hear means jackshit in the grand scheme.  Dude is ultra competitive and cares about his legacy...anyone in that position would have a hard time turning UT down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

How do you know that statement wasn't released after Urban refused the job?

I don't know if Urban wants to get back into coaching. Neither do you or anyone else. I do know the brain cyst is real, he has a job at Fox Sports, he still has a job as Assistant Athletic Director at tOSU, he has a nice house in Muirfield Village overlooking Jack's golf course where I here he's fond of playing, and there's a pandemic going on. 

Because that makes no sense. If Urban is completely done coaching then he clearly turns down USC and they start their own search, but instead the USC President felt the need to shut down any Meyer talk and enough things where in motion to piss of the boosters enough that the newly hired AD was going to bail on the program.

4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You’ve probably heard of Bruce Cassidy.  A top tOSU donor and  good buddy of Urban’s.  They’ve golfed multiple times in the past few weeks.

I said I’d update after we met and that’s this.  Those very close to Urban are very sure he’s done.  But I’m sure Urban thinks he’s done up until the second he’s not.  Anyway, the comparison I got was Jimmy Johnson - a guy who left in his prime and by all accounts has had zero regrets.  

Wish it was some crazy scoop but only fun part is what everyone here could have guessed anyway - he will listen because he can’t stand TH and gets a laugh out of the shit TH is catching these days.  
edit: I said I’d post what I heard.  I wouldn’t put a nickel on Urban not ending up at UT.  

He should come here...

...win one national championship...

...hand the program off to his Assistant Head Coach...

...continue Urban's ON FIELD legacy...

...ascend to Canton, because pro football. $$$$$$

9 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Jerry Ferrara Smh GIF by Power

(but thanks for sharing)

Edited by NoName

I find it beyond hilarious that people think in the current environment, while the legislature is in session deciding higher education funding and while he is less than six months on the job as university president, Jay Hartzell is going to essentially tell people “fuck off, I’m doing whatever I damned well please,” and drop $40 mil to bring in Urban Meyer as the face of UT football. 

Of course, Texas could save a couple of bucks and hire the “flavor of the day” hot G5 head coach - Luke Fickell. 

If there could be a worse time than now to blow tens of millions on making a bad head coach change, I’m not sure I’ve seen it. 

Urban Meyer will never be on the UT Austin payroll. Ever. In any capacity. 

Also, people who think Herman is in trouble of losing his job after this season are going to be terribly disappointed. There are far more important considerations at play than the performance of the UT football team at the moment. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

I find it beyond hilarious that people think in the current environment, while the legislature is in session deciding higher education funding and while he is less than six months on the job as university president, Jay Hartzell is going to essentially tell people “fuck off, I’m doing whatever I damned well please,” and drop $40 mil to bring in Urban Meyer as the face of UT football. 

Of course, Texas could save a couple of bucks and hire the “flavor of the day” hot G5 head coach - Luke Fickell. 

If there could be a worse time than now to blow tens of millions on making a bad head coach change, I’m not sure I’ve seen it. 

Also, people who think Herman is in trouble of losing his job after this season are going to be terribly disappointed. There are far more important considerations at play than the performance of the UT football team at the moment. 

Yeah we tend to get myopic around here.  Assuming JH is way above all that... UT isn’t OU, Bama, or aggy and that’s obviously a good thing.  

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

It’s a done deal. Welcome, Urban Meyer.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Even if Urban told golf buddy "BOY OH BOY I CAN'T WAIT TO GO TO TEXAS!", Urban's friends aren't going to tell anyone anything other than what Urban himself has said publicly. ChiTown got the political answer and is smart enough (Sooner blood aside) to know it.

It's basically going to require Urban coming to my house and crapping on my lawn to break my belief at this point. We need to meme this into existence.

11 hours ago, XYZ said:

Why does Meyer hate Herman?

One reason why Urban hates Tom

What Urban believes:

Tom Herman’s motive?
Herman was furious after five-star receiver Garrett Wilson committed to Ohio State in April over Texas, sources say. Wilson played at Austin (Texas) Lake Travis High, just miles from the Longhorns’ campus.
Zach Smith was the Buckeyes’ primary recruiter, along with quarterbacks coach Ryan Day, in getting Wilson’s commitment. Day has the central Texas area in the Buckeyes’ recruiting system. Smith was fired July 23.
Given that Texas is one of the most pressure-packed and highest-profile jobs in the country, and following a 7-6 season in his first year as Texas coach, Herman needs to secure a recruiting base close to home to turn the Longhorns around.
And there were no bigger stars in his own city than Wilson.

Zach Smith's take

3 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

If there could be a worse time than now to blow tens of millions on making a bad head coach change, I’m not sure I’ve seen it.  Urban Meyer will never be on the UT Austin payroll. Ever. In any capacity.  Also, people who think Herman is in trouble of losing his job after this season are going to be terribly disappointed. There are far more important considerations at play than the performance of the UT football team at the moment. 

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

25 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Herman was furious after five-star receiver Garrett Wilson committed to Ohio State in April over Texas, sources say. Wilson played at Austin (Texas) Lake Travis High, just miles from the Longhorns’ campus.

oh bullshit, that kid was bound for Ohio State from Day 1. We never had a chance. His kid sister is there or going there on a volleyball scholarship, too. That family had no interest in putting down roots in Texas. 

that story is 100% Ohio State wishcasting-- things are never so perfect in Buckeyeland that they can't be improved with some embellishment. so not only did they sign Wilson but Texas is ZOMG SO BROKEN UP that he didn't sign here.

why Ohio State fans have such a hard-on for Texas, I'll never understand, but it's there. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

oh bullshit, that kid was bound for Ohio State from Day 1. We never had a chance. His kid sister is there or going there on a volleyball scholarship, too. That family had no interest in putting down roots in Texas. 

that story is 100% Ohio State wishcasting-- things are never so perfect in Buckeyeland that they can't be improved with some embellishment. so not only did they sign Wilson but Texas is ZOMG SO BROKEN UP that he didn't sign here.

why Ohio State fans have such a hard-on for Texas, I'll never understand, but it's there. 

Yeah, you put it better than I could have, but the biggest tipoff for me was that last line: "And there were no bigger stars in his own city than Wilson", + the reference making LT sound like an AISD school:  "Austin (Texas) Lake Travis High".

8 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Of course it's bullshit. We all knew he was headed for Columbus. Herman just trying to save face because he's full of shit. 

5 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah, you put it better than I could have, but the biggest tipoff for me was that last line: "And there were no bigger stars in his own city than Wilson", + the reference making LT sound like an AISD school:  "Austin (Texas) Lake Travis High".

Which of course it's not. Lake Travis has its own school district. Just because they're in Travis County doesn't mean they're in Austin. They're in Lakeway. 

4 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Which of course it's not. Lake Travis has its own school district. Just because they're in Travis County doesn't mean they're in Austin. They're in Lakeway. 

Exactly. Which is why it was odd for them to try to make it sound like it's in Austin. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

12 hours ago, XYZ said:

Why does Meyer hate Herman?

Meyer hated Herman well before the Zach Smith stuff. During and after the 2014 national title  Herman became the media darling, lots of people where crediting Herman’s offensive for the national title And after Herman had success at UH and OSU tripped on their dicks in 2015 lots of OSU fans wanted Herman to come back and be the coach in waiting to replace Meyer and you can see how that might chap Urban’s ass. We also know how much of an egotistical fuck head Herman is himself.

7 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Yup. And Wilson was just one of "those kids". There are a bunch of them in every class. The ones where to one degree or another, it's hard to tell where "I'm happy to be going to <the school I chose>" ends and "fuck Texas!" starts. 

Ohio had this with kids going to Michigan for a long time, the mostly unspoken but occasionally explicitly stated "the best Ohio players go to Michigan". It's why you can see the bolts in Desmond Howard's neck almost popping when the subject of Ohio State's insane talent advantage over Michigan comes up; that's not the world Desmond grew up in and he has a hard time understanding why Michigan can't just sign the best Ohio kids and bully Ohio State like it's 1991 anymore.

It changed. Which gives me faint hope that maybe in my lifetime we'll stop seeing Texas kids sign elsewhere and act like the very act of trying to recruit them was some kind of affront. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent

Meyer hated Herman well before the Zach Smith stuff. During and after the 2014 national title  Herman became the media darling, lots of people where crediting Herman’s offensive for the national title And after Herman had success at UH and OSU tripped on their dicks in 2015 lots of OSU fans wanted Herman to come back and be the coach in waiting to replace Meyer and you can see how that might chap Urban’s ass. We also know how much of an egotistical fuck head Herman is himself.

Two high high ego guys working together will usually generate conflict.

It's worse when one of the two has earned the right to his ego while the other is just such a narcissist he believes his ego is warranted even if everyone else can't see it yet.

It goes full scorched earth if the one who hasn't earned anything starts getting credit for their combined success over the one who has the track record of success.

That's Herman and Urban.

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

It’s a done deal. Welcome, Urban Meyer.

Lol.

The "urban or bust" people should save themselves the inevitable disappointment by working through how the mechanics of hiring Urban would work.

Jay Hartzell would have to make the ultimate decision. Jay has ZERO political capital built up with the legislature. Starting in less than 10 weeks, the legislature is going to be pressed to find ways to reduce funding across the board. The publicly funded endowment to the UT System is already greater than all other public universities and colleges (including aggy) combined. The portion of the UT System publicly funded endowment dedicated to UT Austin is about 50%. UT Austin is already funded by taxpayers at a rate double of that of Texas A&M. Total revenue (per full-time student equivalent) at A&M is $31k/yr. At Prairie View - $28k. At Tech - $21k. U of H - $28k. Texas State - $18k. UT Austin - $55k. In total dollars, UT Austin receives about $2B more each year in public funding (fed and state) than A&M.

At some point during the 2012 legislative session, the political discussion of just how much UT Austin should be funded over every other public university in Texas will be brought up. The disparity is huge.

If, as one of his first meaningful decisions as UT Austin president, Jay Hartzell decides to blow $40 million to bring in (of all people )Urban Meyer, Jay Hartzell won't last as school president past the end of the spring semester. In the current financial environment, spending tens of millions to bring in someone with an enormous ethical cloud over his head would be career and reputational suicide for Hartzell.

Remember when Tom Herman essentially told everyone to go fuck themselves because he was bringing Casey Horny onto the payroll? Well, Hartzell isn't going to make that same stupid mistake, and especially not on a massively higher level.

Never. Gonna. Happen.

Two of the cardinal rules of being UT Austin president as a) don't do massively stupid things in a very public was and b) don't needlessly waste political capital on meaningless issues. Hiring of Urban Meyer, for all its potential at winning football games, violates both of those rules. Jay Hartzell is not going to sacrifice his opportunity to be UT Austin president, and piss all the work he did to get to that position down the drain to hire Urban Meyer to be the football coach. Urban Meyer is considered a sociopath by people Jay Hartzell needs in his corner. As is Art Briles.

Edited by Randolph Duke

4 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Lol.

The "urban or bust" people should save themselves the inevitable disappointment by working through how the mechanics of hiring Urban would work.

Jay Hartzell would have to make the ultimate decision. Jay has ZERO political capital built up with the legislature. Starting in less than 10 weeks, the legislature is going to be pressed to find ways to reduce funding across the board. The publicly funded endowment to the UT System is already greater than all other public universities and colleges (including aggy) combined. The portion of the UT System publicly funded endowment dedicated to UT Austin is about 50%. UT Austin is already funded by taxpayers at a rate double of that of Texas A&M and at a rate almost equal to that of all public universities in Texas combined.

At some point during the 2012 legislative session, the political discussion of just how much UT Austin should be funded over every other public university in Texas will be brought up.

If, as one of his first meaningful decisions as UT Austin president, Jay Hartzell decides to blow $40 million to bring in (of all people )Urban Meyer, Jay Hartzell won't last as school president past the end of the spring semester. In the current financial environment, spending tens of millions to bring in someone with an enormous ethical cloud over his head would be career suicide for Hartzell.

Remember when Tom Herman essentially told everyone to go fuck themselves because he was bringing Casey Horny onto the payroll? Well, Hartzell isn't going to make that same stupid mistake, and especially not on a massively higher level.

Never. Gonna. Happen.

two of the cardinal rules of being UT Austin president as a) don't do massively stupid things in a very public was and b) don't needlessly waste political capital on meaningless issues. Hiring of Urban Meyer, for all its potential at winning football games, violates both of those rules. Jay Hartzell is not going to sacrifice his opportunity to be UT Austin president, and piss all the work he did to get to that position down the drain to hire Urban Meyer to be the football coach. Urban Meyer is considered a sociopath by people Jay Hartzell needs in his corner. As is Art Briles.

It's a done deal. Welcome, Urban Meyer.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Lol.

Jay Hartzell would have to make the ultimate decision. Jay has ZERO political capital built up with the legislature. Starting in less than 10 weeks, the legislature is going to be pressed to find ways to reduce funding across the board. The publicly funded endowment to the UT System is already greater than all other public universities and colleges (including aggy) combined. The portion of the UT System publicly funded endowment dedicated to UT Austin is about 50%. UT Austin is already funded by taxpayers at a rate double of that of Texas A&M and at a rate almost equal to that of all public universities in Texas combined.

At some point during the 2012 legislative session, the political discussion of just how much UT Austin should be funded over every other public university in Texas will be brought up.

If, as one of his first meaningful decisions as UT Austin president, Jay Hartzell decides to blow $40 million to bring in (of all people )Urban Meyer, Jay Hartzell won't last as school president past the end of the spring semester. In the current financial environment, spending tens of millions to bring in someone with an enormous ethical cloud over his head would be career suicide for Hartzell.

Never. Gonna. Happen.

two of the cardinal rules of being UT Austin president as a) don't do massively stupid things in a very public was and b) don't needlessly waste political capital on meaningless issues. Hiring of Urban Meyer, for all its potential at winning football games, violates both of those rules. Jay Hartzell is not going to sacrifice his opportunity to be UT Austin president, and piss all the work he did to get to that position down the drain to hire Urban Meyer to be the football coach. Urban Meyer is considered a sociopath by people Jay Hartzell needs in his corner. As is Art Briles.

reads youtube GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

InsideTexas:  Then and Now (SIAP)

When the Aggies hired Jimbo Fisher, my initial reaction was to be impressed by their ability to pull it off. Hiring a national championship winning coach, to College Station no less, was to be commended. It took everyone, school administration, athletic department, and boosters sharing the same commitment to doing whatever it took to make the hire. It also took some good fortune, which Texas has right now. Jimbo Fisher was ready for a change of scenery.

Texas fans were in a good position to appreciate the move having witnessed the slow moving train wreck of Texas turning down the greatest college football coach of all time. On the heels of the Saban debacle, and ensuing hirings, Texas fans are justifiably jaded about the ability of Texas brass to make a major hire. But that was then, this is now. Key Texas figures are in much better position to follow the template set forth by — gulp — the Aggies, than their own from 2013.

President then: Bill Powers - Depending on who you talk to, Powers was understandably upset by the boosters’ unsanctioned pursuit of Saban, or a downright idiot for not being grateful and converting the layup. In any event, he was the key decision maker in the whole deal and he had little appetite for Saban. He and DeLoss Dodds didn’t even have much of an appetite for asking Mack Brown to step down.

President now: Jay Hartzell - It’s Hartzell’s job now, but even his predecessor was done with Herman last December. It was Chris Del Conte who persuaded Greg Fenves to give Herman one more year. Hartzell has always been seen as sympathetic to the athletic and donor side, though I believe he‘d prefer to not be pigeonholed as such. That’s likely why he assigned Richard Reddick to run the historical review of The Eyes of Texas. If we learned anything from the Saban Saga it’s to get a good understanding of the president’s office when significant changes need to be made. Simply put, Hartzell is open to hiring Urban Meyer.

Athletic Director then: DeLoss Dodds - Texas athletics were awash in cash in 2013. That’s not the greatest motivator to make a big change. Dodds and Mack Brown were quite close and as long as checks were cashing, Dodds seemed to have little interest in making a head coaching change. He certainly didn’t want his hand to be forced to make that change. This period is the epitome of Texas stagnation: ”We’re not winning but we’re earning like we are!”

Athletic Director now: Chris Del Conte - Del Conte has a great working relationship with Hartzell, as well as an okay but recently strained relationship with boosters. There’s one way to repair that relationship and restore the donations rolling in. This is the key difference in the two scenarios, well that and not having Powers involved: Given the financial impact of Covid-19 in conjunction with numerous capital projects, furloughs, and layoffs, the donors are needed much more than in 2013. They have the leverage to get things done, though I don’t get the sense Del Conte needs his arm twisted on this one. In less than a year, Herman has lost a lot of the support from the person who just helped oversee an expensive staff overhaul.

Head coach then: Mack Brown - It had long been Mack Brown Texas Football by 2013 and he had no plans to abdicate. This period spawned one of the greatest phrases ever uttered on IT: ”He’s leaving, but it’s his choice if it’s in a parade or pine box.” - @W.W. McClyde Of course he chose pine box, but only after he petulantly and selfishly scuttled the Nick Saban deal once and for all.

Head coach now: Tom Herman - Herman has none of the leverage or support from the administration Brown had in 2013. Try as I might, I can’t find any pockets of support for the embattled coach. He never cared much for politicking (hard to blame him) but it’s shortsighted to not create allies in a position such as his. I had two people this weekend speculate that even if he won out, he’d be on the hot seat. That’s hard to fathom, but given the situation, not all that hard to believe.

BOR then - My recollection is it was split between the administrative side and the athletic booster side. The unsanctioned overtures were known to some on the BOR, but others sided with Powers. Clearly Powers had more stroke.

BOR now - From my vantage, the BOR appears to be in lockstep with Del Conte, Hartzell, and the most influential boosters. I can’t speak knowledgeably on all of them. Typically some care about sports, and some don’t. The ones who care about football are like Hartzell and are open to the idea of Urban Meyer. This is a key point: the president, AD, and BOR are on the same exact page.

Boosters then - There was a clear divide between the old guard Jamails of the world who threatened to withhold countless millions from the school if Brown was fired, and those who wanted a return to the heights Mack previously took the program. The BBs were not in box and there seemed to be a clear split between the Houston and Dallas factions. The Dallas boosters were at least able to force Brown’s resignation.

Boosters now - There is no such divide. The lines we have into both cities all favor hiring the strong, centralizing figure. You can add Austin to that group too.

Result then - With the petulance of Mack Brown and the enabling of DeLoss Dodds, Bill Powers scuttled what would have been the biggest football hire of your lifetime. This led to a shoddy search resulting in the hiring of Charlie Strong. Powers won, the school lost.

Result now - It’s impossible to know what will happen, and there isn’t yet a job opening, but if UT doesn’t land its top target it won’t be for lack of effort and pulling out all the stops. It won’t be self-inflicted.

The context between 2013 and 2020 couldn’t be more different.

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic