Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

39 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Fair enough.  It does seem that character came much more into play when Meyer recruited at Ohio State vs his days at Florida.  Evey year there were reports of recruits that Ohio State backed off of because of character issues while Meyer (and now Day) were at Ohio State.  Not surprisingly, many of those players ended up being problems at the university they ultimately chose.  I personally believe this was dictated by the university after the black eye Tressel put on the program.  Obviously, there was most likely increased scrutiny by the NCAA as well after Tressel.

Tressel handled punishment pretty well. Real criminals got tossed. And he took some chances on kids. A lot of coaches do. He got Troy Smith turned around and made him a Heisman winner. Ray Small otoh didn't get his act together and got tossed. 

The whole Tattoogate thing seems kind of quaint now in retrospect, doesn't it? We're making that legal now. James Laurinaitis (RIP Joe) has commented that he had a pro teammate from Alabama who would rib him and say, 'Man, y'all take that shit way too seriously.'

The Tressel players left behind and inherited by Meyer were all pretty high character guys. Urban's a great recruiter and he was able to build on what Tressel established following the disorder of the Cooper years. I don't think anything was dictated He just had the luxury of being more selective. And since he recruits nationally while Tressel focused more on Ohio kids, he had a larger talent pool to select from. Urban did shut down the pipeline from Glenville which produced some really great players like Teddy Ginn but also some troubled kids who didn't make it. 

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Fuck it, I’ll chip in a million. Who’s with me?

Put me down for 2.

57 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

This. This right here is the long and short of it.

I want Urban to coach Texas. As much as any reason, I want this because it will tell us once and for all whether we have just been blindingly stupid in hiring, or we as a program are simply cursed.

Call him up, make him Assistant AD for Football (which he already is, or at least was very recently at tOSU), make #MensaTom report to him. Let the winning commence.

i like this idea, plus give Urban a head-HC title, and control of the program. “ So Mensa, what would you would say you do here?“

3 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

i like this idea, plus give Urban a head-HC title, and control of the program. “ So Mensa, what would you would say you do here?“

I think it would work, and with any luck at all, #MensaTom would be sufficiently butthurt to run away sucking his thumb... especially if we can Jimbo him away without requiring him to buy out (that's what Free Shoes U did for Jimbo, wasn't it?).

Here you go Urban, heres Mensas salary/buyout for the next 3 years.   You basically have 3 options here, fire him and give him his buyout, demote him and keep paying him on schedule, or shame the smug fuck into quitting and keep the money for yourself.  Your call.

Seriously, our current trajectory may have us => 20 losses in 4 seasons under this asshole who will have been paid nearly $1M for each of those losses.  

3 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

Large programs don’t need to but they do anyway to get every competitive advantage they can. 

Eh, I don't even know what "cheating" is anymore. Paying the guys seems to pretty much be an acknowledged  reality at this point and outside of that I guess there's some bullshit NCAA violations on recruiting possibly but fuck those people in their goat ass. 

39 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Eh, I don't even know what "cheating" is anymore. Paying the guys seems to pretty much be an acknowledged  reality at this point and outside of that I guess there's some bullshit NCAA violations on recruiting possibly but fuck those people in their goat ass. 

I've followed Urban's career from Bowling Green to Utah to Florida to Ohio State and there's never been a whisper of paying for players. I don't recall any major NCAA infractions, either. 

His "No guns" rule might be an obstacle to taking the UT job. I mean, it's nice to hear you're willing to cheat to win but wouldn't a ban on guns be crossing some sort of line?

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I've followed Urban's career from Bowling Green to Utah to Florida to Ohio State and there's never been a whisper of paying for players. I don't recall any major NCAA infractions, either. 

His "No guns" rule might be an obstacle to taking the UT job. I mean, it's nice to hear you're willing to cheat to win but wouldn't a ban on guns be crossing some sort of line?

Strong had the same no guns rule.  I want to say Herman does as well.  It doesn't mean anything.

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Herman has the same thing.  Actually, his is "No Weapons," which would seem to be more exclusive.  Given how much of a pussy Herman is, he probably didn't think of it on his own and got it from Urban.  Herman sure likes to say, "When we won a national championship..." about his time at Ohio State.

From Herman's locker room:

DHyISVfXgAApRZQ.jpg

Edited by CBHorn

4 hours ago, El Diablo said:

My apologies, my intent was not clear. I just meant to imply via sarcasm that the character of the players was not squeaky clean. Turning a blind eye and/or institutionalized plausible deniability is character revealed. Large programs don't need to cheat. 

Uhm are Bama, LSU and Clemson small programs?

• Hook 'Em 1

People's main issue with Urban isn't about paying recruits (most of the top schools/coaches do that). The issue is his consistent tolerance of violent crimes from his players and staff at multiple schools. Just google it if you don't know what I'm talking about. It's well documented.

14 minutes ago, CBHorn said:

Herman has the same thing.  Actually, his is "No Weapons," which would seem to be more exclusive.  Given how much of a pussy Herman is, he probably didn't think of it on his own and got it from Urban.  Herman sure likes to say, "When we won a national championship..." about his time at Ohio State.

From Herman's locker room:

DHyISVfXgAApRZQ.jpg

Both Strong and Herman got it from Urban.  Neither tried to pass it off as their own idea, and like I said it really doesn't mean anything.  You get caught illegally carrying a weapon at any program you have a problem, and no program is booting a player because they went dove hunting one weekend.

Edited by Gene Parmesan

Fuck You Futureman, I've always thought that retarded picture is so perfect for you, CDC came in and immediately starts saying "the fans expect a championship every year" and other condescending BS, It was only due to pressure from the fan base that Herman had to make the staff changes, CDC made it clear he was fine with everything as he held a press conference in the recovery room, Texas is dysfunctional probably past being fixable 

Edited by Loather

49 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Dude. Charlie and Herman both do that 5 core values thing Urban does. We’re familiar with it too. Your Ohio state education is showing 

Why did some Buckeye upperclassmen with registered guns express displeasure over the rule? The rule was no guns on campus. I don't assume to know how Strong and Herman do it at Texas. Why do you assume you know how Urban did it at Ohio State? Is that your Texas education showing?

Also, if I recall, Colt and Shipley played for Mack Brown. 

16 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Why did some Buckeye upperclassmen with registered guns express displeasure over the rule? The rule was no guns on campus. I don't assume to know how Strong and Herman do it at Texas. Why do you assume you know how Urban did it at Ohio State? Is that your Texas education showing?

Also, if I recall, Colt and Shipley played for Mack Brown. 

Yes they did, I was just using them as an example. The rule isn’t for hunting season. It’s street gang shit. Wait are we agreeing and just arguing for no reason? And yeah sorry, didn’t know y’all had some upperclassmen voice displeasure

2 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

most schools suck at FB

I don't know. How many schools have been ranked in the top 5 since 2010? I'll just go off the top of my head:

Alabama

Auburn

LSU

UGA

Florida

Miss St

Ole Miss (I think)

FSU

Clemson

Oregon

Notre Dame

USC (I think)

Washington

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Kansas State

Baylor

TCU

(I mean ouch)

Michigan

Ohio State

Penn State

Sparty

Wisconsin

UCF

And I'm probably missing a few.

35 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't know. How many schools have been ranked in the top 5 since 2010? I'll just go off the top of my head:

Alabama

Auburn

LSU

UGA

Florida

Miss St

Ole Miss (I think)

FSU

Clemson

Oregon

Notre Dame

USC (I think)

Washington

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Kansas State

Baylor

TCU

(I mean ouch)

Michigan

Ohio State

Penn State

Sparty

Wisconsin

UCF

And I'm probably missing a few.

Right. Out of 125

3 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Right. Out of 125

That's fine. No one is forcing you to be a supporter. 

I could make the argument that your degree is probably worth more, even if it's at a subliminal level, if Texas is good at football, though.

Before the last two games, I was in the camp that if Urban will come, you have to fire Herman, otherwise maybe you hold on for another year bc the wheels aren't fully off the train.

Now I don't really give a fuck. Hopefully we get serious and hire Urban, but I'm just rooting for not Herman at this point. Another year signed on with him will do serious damage to our program. At least try something not proven to fail.

So what’s the deal with his health issues?  I know most just chalked it up as an exit cover, but I also remember him looking like he was in physical pain on the sidelines towards the end of his Ohio state run. 

i vaguely remember during Florida the rumor was a heart condition. 

at Ohio state the word was he had an inoperable, but non-deadly brain cyst that would fill up and cause pain. I also remember something about it being stressed induced and that it reached the point to where it couldn’t be drained anymore?    I don’t remember the exact details. 

Does anyone know if Urban himself has made any comments one way or the other? 

Edited by Xian

Meyer is rested and ready.  He "spent time with his family" after the OSU mess.  He is 56 and as fit as a fiddle.  He is not as fat as Mack even though he does love pizza.   Even with that pesky little brain cyst, he is smarter than HerMensa.  

Edited by lemonandaturd

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic