Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

31 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Urban talk isn't going to die down until he's no longer available or we win the Big 12. I'd think when he coaches again, it will be at a school like Texas or USC. Programs with competitive advantages and clear paths to championships.

And it shouldn’t. We should make it where he has to publicly turn us down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SDG said:

Didn’t see this posted so forgive me if it has been.  

I think everyone is pretty spot on but especially leinart and urban Meyer. That’s the main reason I’m ready to sell my soul and bring in Meyer. If we don’t start getting the top qb in Texas, and/or developing more guys that get drafted on the 1st or 2nd day of the draft, we will become Miami. We will become Nebraska. We will be a team that will start losing some of the top players that we would normally bring in. Not all, but some that aren’t sold on the idea of “bringing Texas back”. If we can get that machine going again, I think it’s worth it to not turn into Nebraska or Miami, and I feel like it’s a lot more likely than some of you want to say IF we don’t make a move like this. Even though they haven’t won at the clip they should be winning at, I think hiring harbaugh was the only thing they saved Michigan from turning into a program like that.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

And the only reason I entertain the notion is that he's available. I suppose if Tom can win 8 straight games, we'll all shut up, but I don't see that happening.

Looking at the remaining schedule the only game I’m confident in is Kansas. 

we could easily lose to the other 7 teams. 

2 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

Imagine being stupid enough to equate systemic rape cover up of Briles with Urban. 

Are you suggesting that someone beating the shit out of their wife is not that bad? Or is it because it was just that one time? Or letting a player play that committed attempted murder, not a big deal either?

Texas is not very good at rating talent on or off the field. Why did they think Chris Del Conte was such a stud? I guess we all got fooled by the success that they've had with two and three star athletes. I think somehow CDC got credit for that. Well, as it turns out, we can look forward to them whipping our four and five star recruits for the foreseeable future. It never had anything to do with the empty suit that slithered down to the Forty Acres. It was always that fat slob screaming on the sidelines. That has become painfully obvious now.

There has to be an effort to get Urban here. If the last decade has taught us anything, it's that coaching at the University of Texas takes a big personality. He is the closest we are going to get to a sure thing. And that is what Texas needs right now, they cannot afford to make one more bad hire. The next one has to be out of the park. If CDC is not up to it, then he needs to step aside. 

Edited by Loather
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/5/2020 at 4:07 PM, qwertyu1234 said:

Don't be. This year's team has a lot of turnover, is extremely young and my Jayhawks keeping it within four touchdowns would be the best case scenario. 

Please allow me to introduce to you Thomas Herman lll. 

image.png.714f0e4cefa763a699fa82bedc1e7737.png

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 4:55 PM, JMFP said:

Are you suggesting that someone beating the shit out of their wife is not that bad? Or is it because it was just that one time? Or letting a player play that committed attempted murder, not a big deal either?

Yes anyone with a brain can see how the institutional cover up of massive rape is much worse than employing a domestic abuser.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Loather said:

Texas is not very good at rating talent on or off the field. Why did they think Chris Del Conte was such a stud? I guess we all got fooled by the success that they've had with two and three star athletes. I think somehow CDC got credit for that. Well, as it turns out, we can look forward to them whipping our four and five star recruits for the foreseeable future. It never had anything to do with the empty suit that slithered down to the Forty Acres. It was always that fat slob screaming on the sidelines. That has become painfully obvious now.

There has to be an effort to get Urban here. If the last decade has taught us anything, it's that coaching at the University of Texas takes a big personality. He is the closest we are going to get to a sure thing. And that is what Texas needs right now, they cannot afford to make one more bad hire. The next one has to be out of the park. If CDC is not up to it, then he needs to step aside. 

every coach cdc has hired at texas has turned out to be a homerun hire that have transformed the teams they took over in less than 2 seasons 

softball  coach hired turned a mediocre team into the #1 team in the nation in year 2

track coach hired has been an absolute stud that has texas consistently in the top 5 

basketball coach has been on campus less than 5 months & already has the #4 recruiting class in the nation & took his previous team to multiple championship games

he will absolutely nail the football hire when the time comes 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

On 10/5/2020 at 3:36 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

I think everyone is pretty spot on but especially leinart and urban Meyer. That’s the main reason I’m ready to sell my soul and bring in Meyer. If we don’t start getting the top qb in Texas, and/or developing more guys that get drafted on the 1st or 2nd day of the draft, we will become Miami. We will become Nebraska. We will be a team that will start losing some of the top players that we would normally bring in. Not all, but some that aren’t sold on the idea of “bringing Texas back”. If we can get that machine going again, I think it’s worth it to not turn into Nebraska or Miami, and I feel like it’s a lot more likely than some of you want to say IF we don’t make a move like this. Even though they haven’t won at the clip they should be winning at, I think hiring harbaugh was the only thing they saved Michigan from turning into a program like that.

But will our Cal Berkeley loving  UT Admin allow that to happen.?

Isn’t California their model here for the past 2 decades?

Seems like it’s.

Prove me wrong.

” We’re Tease Ass, Shoot for Mediocrity!” ( So not to offend the losers)

Edited by El Squared

9 minutes ago, El Squared said:

But will our Cal Berkeley loving Life UT Admin allow that to happen.?

Seems like it’s.

Prove me wrong.

Hartzell seems to be more pro sports than Fenves so that is positive data point. 

28 minutes ago, El Squared said:

But will our Cal Berkeley loving  UT Admin allow that to happen.?

Seems like it’s.

Prove me wrong.

” We’re Tease Ass, Shoot for Mediocrity!” ( So not to offend the losers)

Funny you would say this - this is exactly my thoughts in terms of how UT admin sees the sports programs at UT. They want us like Stanford or Cal where women's sports win more than the men and admission policies are top 4% .. that is where they want the institution. Research, Public Ivy and oh yeah.. we win some sports every now and then but only the ones that are not as barbaric as football. This is why whenever anybody says UT should join the SEC I roll my eyes.. Never in a million years will the UT Admin want to rub elbows with the likes of Miss State, Auburn or Alabama - I'm sure they held their noses when the stupid farmers came around.  They want Stanford, Cal, UNC, Virginia, etc.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Ohio State was probably just an anomaly. Gators were squeaky clean. 

Jesus Christ enough. Show me the supposed cheating at Ohio State under Urban Meyer.  Yes, he should have cut ties with Zach Smith but from a football standpoint it was a clean program.  The Smith situation was not acceptable and he ended up leaving but stop with the cheating bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

I take it there are no billionaire posters on surly. Come on Red, don't you want a chance to see one more NC before you kick off? Buy out Herman's contract and pay Urbans 1st years salary. 

Nah. Fuck Red McCombs wants Gruden lol.

12 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Jesus Christ enough. Show me the supposed cheating at Ohio State under Urban Meyer.  Yes, he should have cut ties with Zach Smith but from a football standpoint it was a clean program.  The Smith situation was not acceptable and he ended up leaving but stop with the cheating bullshit. 

My apologies, my intent was not clear. I just meant to imply via sarcasm that the character of the players was not squeaky clean. Turning a blind eye and/or institutionalized plausible deniability is character revealed. Large programs don't need to cheat. 

Urban is basically a Mafia Don.  Show him absolute loyalty and he will show you absolute loyalty, particularly if you are the grandson of his own Don (Earle Bruce).  With respect to Urban's role, the Zach Smith scandal is no more complicated than that.  

Unlike Herman, Urban would not need to cheat to recruit Top-5 classes at Texas.  Elite Texas players + his Southeast pipeline would compete with the best of the best.  He would also gut the Ohio State program by bringing his loyalists with him which would thrill the Texas fanbase.  

It's going to take almost $20 million a year to pay him, his coaching staff and his administrative hangers-on.  

• Hook 'Em 4

28 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

My apologies, my intent was not clear. I just meant to imply via sarcasm that the character of the players was not squeaky clean. Turning a blind eye and/or institutionalized plausible deniability is character revealed. Large programs don't need to cheat. 

Fair enough.  It does seem that character came much more into play when Meyer recruited at Ohio State vs his days at Florida.  Evey year there were reports of recruits that Ohio State backed off of because of character issues while Meyer (and now Day) were at Ohio State.  Not surprisingly, many of those players ended up being problems at the university they ultimately chose.  I personally believe this was dictated by the university after the black eye Tressel put on the program.  Obviously, there was most likely increased scrutiny by the NCAA as well after Tressel.

On 10/3/2020 at 3:50 PM, Brothahorn said:

I have a suspicion that Urban would be a little more demanding with his assistants and players than Pee Wee. No Family Fridays if you play like dog shit.

They need to do away with that family Friday bullshit. Friday's are for walkthroughs and last minute game plan reviews. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Urban is basically a Mafia Don.  Show him absolute loyalty and he will show you absolute loyalty, particularly if you are the grandson of his own Don (Earle Bruce).  With respect to Urban's role, the Zach Smith scandal is no more complicated than that.  

This. This right here is the long and short of it.

I want Urban to coach Texas. As much as any reason, I want this because it will tell us once and for all whether we have just been blindingly stupid in hiring, or we as a program are simply cursed.

Call him up, make him Assistant AD for Football (which he already is, or at least was very recently at tOSU), make #MensaTom report to him. Let the winning commence.

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Large programs don’t need to but they do anyway to get every competitive advantage they can. 

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic