NCAA to Allow Players to be Compensated for their Names, Likenesses, and Images

Seasick Sailor

LSU Cornerback Derek Stingley, Jr., wants you to eat at Walk-Ons as often as possible.

After you eat at Walk-Ons, LSU QB Myles Brennan would love it if you'd swing by Smalls Sliders and wash it all down with some Smoothie King. 

image.thumb.png.805f267439b026a51e8c1368efb3b99e.png

Miami

Quarterback D'Eriq King is one of the earliest movers and shakers of the NIL economy. He launched this website -- "The fan's direct connection to D'Eriq King" -- , signed a reported $20,000 deal with the moving company College Hunks.

• Haha 1

SIAP...

Not a new platform overall but new to the college sports space, Yoke -- Cameo, but gaming -- is live with a number of college athletes.

Actual Cameo is in the game as well.

The biggest gaming platform in the world is also open for business as well.

Edited by LTtxfan

2 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

When they start making purely business decisions, people that are paying for the tickets will obviously get to the point where they don’t like the product.

It’s part of the reason people don’t give a damn about some of the bowls.

And the NFL.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

The biggest gaming platform in the world is also open for business as well.

Earl Thomas and Blake Gideon could have been paid to play the NCAA football game back in the day.  For fun.  Crazy times.  I'd probably watch that if it wasn't your typical twitch streamer.  That said, it would likely have to be a scheduled event for them to make any real dough.

Edited by Hmmm

https://247sports.com/Article/Release-date-EA-Sports-college-football-ncaa-video-game-revealed-name-likeness-image-162377078/

"However, it was unknown when the game would exactly return. In addition, the name, likeness and image rule expected to come to fruition in the NCAA has yet to be fully approved, but the expectation is that athletes will eventually be able to profit off their own names."

Old article but curious how this stands now.

Edited by Hmmm

49 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

Wasn't he mediocre at best which was only funny because "he's ass, my mam" sat (sits?) Behind him. 

It's speculative $ except for 20k. Make it now, sir.

Huh? D’Eriq King is really good and one of the most exciting players in the country. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Over/Under on new clothing lines set at 250. 

I’d guess those clothing companies are like Cafe Press. You get a 10% cut if something sells.

The best sellers will probably make in the low 4 figures if they’re lucky.

The only clothing I can even think of that would’ve made a player some decent money is Ricky’s dreadlocked Heisman shirt.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I’d guess those clothing companies are like Cafe Press. You get a 10% cut if something sells.

The best sellers will probably make in the low 4 figures if they’re lucky.

The only clothing I can even think of that would’ve made a player some decent money is Ricky’s dreadlocked Heisman shirt.

On the Cafe Press, I get it, and think you're right. 

With "just in time" printing, it's not like the old days when you had to make a huge run of items to sell. Somebody makes a shirt, sells twelve, he gets twelve bucks or so. 

Here are my predictions: 

1. Players are going to get even goofier on social media. A lot of guys are going to run around like the Kardashians, cause "raise your profile, raise your income."

2. We're going to start seeing some real locker room splits between players getting paid and players that aren't. 

3. A lot of players are going to become less focused on the game, and more focused on being a media brand.

4. At some schools, the rabid fan bases will set up money pools to buy products to boost player salaries, and/or create endorsement projects that have no intention of really raising sales, but are just a legal way to funnel money to players. Is there any reason a booster club couldn't hire a player to be a spokesperson for the booster club?

On your comment about the Ricky Heisman shirt, you're looking at it with Texas colored glasses, unless you were just talking about the Longhorn program specifically. Johnny Manziel would have sold a ton of T shirts, as would Robert Griffin III, Trevor Lawrence and several others. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

On your comment about the Ricky Heisman shirt, you're looking at it with Texas colored glasses, unless you were just talking about the Longhorn program specifically. Johnny Manziel would have sold a ton of T shirts, as would Robert Griffin III, Trevor Lawrence and several others. 

I assumed he was talking about Ricky's potential for earnings, versus other Texas players.

But even so, I doubt there were ever more than 5,000 of those sold.  That would be 1 in 20 people at the stadium wearing one back in '97/'98.  5,000 t-shirts at $1-$2 profit per shirt?  It's better than zero of course, it'd pay for a lot of pitchers at the Dog and Duck back in the day, but it's certainly not the kind of windfall I think a lot of these kids are expecting.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Hmmm said:

https://247sports.com/Article/Release-date-EA-Sports-college-football-ncaa-video-game-revealed-name-likeness-image-162377078/

"However, it was unknown when the game would exactly return. In addition, the name, likeness and image rule expected to come to fruition in the NCAA has yet to be fully approved, but the expectation is that athletes will eventually be able to profit off their own names."

Old article but curious how this stands now.

Getting the NCAA game back will still be extremely tricky. With no CFB Union or a CBA, EA Sports will have to get individual consent from every player in the game basically. Also, the Texas law technically doesn’t even allow this because players aren’t allowed to earn compensation while using the school’s IP. 

The Texas NIL law is absolutely horrible. Way too many overly prescriptive exceptions and exclusions that don’t even make sense. Why outlaw use of the school’s IP if the school is ok with it? It may still happen if the schools don’t enforce that rule, but it’s a stupid thing to put in the statute. 

13 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Over/Under on new clothing lines set at 250. 

Video game shit seems smart, know you’re audience. 

Yeah, clothing brands/merch is a horrible way to profit off this. Twitch, Cameo, Patreon, YouTube, etc. is the way to go. 

21 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I assumed he was talking about Ricky's potential for earnings, versus other Texas players.

But even so, I doubt there were ever more than 5,000 of those sold.  That would be 1 in 20 people at the stadium wearing one back in '97/'98.  5,000 t-shirts at $1-$2 profit per shirt?  It's better than zero of course, it'd pay for a lot of pitchers at the Dog and Duck back in the day, but it's certainly not the kind of windfall I think a lot of these kids are expecting.

True, but with marketing, a lot more could have been sold. Totally agree with you that a bunch of these kids have unrealistic expectations. Listen to them in interviews. 3X the number of players that go to the NFL think they're going to the NFL. 

42 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

4. At some schools, the rabid fan bases will set up money pools to buy products to boost player salaries, and/or create endorsement projects that have no intention of really raising sales, but are just a legal way to funnel money to players. Is there any reason a booster club couldn't hire a player to be a spokesperson for the booster club?

What's to stop a player from selling t-shirts for $1k a pop and having boosters buy them by the crate? I guess there's still the temptation to do it under the table and avoid paying taxes, as long as you don't mind risking an IRS audit. But still...

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, John Coctostan said:

What's to stop a player from selling t-shirts for $1k a pop and having boosters buy them by the crate? I guess there's still the temptation to do it under the table and avoid paying taxes, as long as you don't mind risking an IRS audit. But still...

No need to do any of that.  A player can simply sign a NIL contract with a booster's organization, licensing the NIL of that player with XYZ limitations (or none at all), and the money can change hands without the NIL ever actually being used.  You don't have to produce any products, to obtain the license from a player, and pay that player whatever you feel like.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Getting the NCAA game back will still be extremely tricky. With no CFB Union or a CBA, EA Sports will have to get individual consent from every player in the game basically. Also, the Texas law technically doesn’t even allow this because players aren’t allowed to earn compensation while using the school’s IP. 

The Texas NIL law is absolutely horrible. Way too many overly prescriptive exceptions and exclusions that don’t even make sense. Why outlaw use of the school’s IP if the school is ok with it? It may still happen if the schools don’t enforce that rule, but it’s a stupid thing to put in the statute. 

Yeah, clothing brands/merch is a horrible way to profit off this. Twitch, Cameo, Patreon, YouTube, etc. is the way to go. 

Not being able to use the Longhorn logo is definitely a huge disadvantage if other schools can use theirs. Most of these shirts I'm seeing players post are awful, can't imagine more than a few being bought..

That said, I still think the real value of NIL is going to be social media posts and advertisements, not hawking clothes, and the logo may not be as important for those.

Someone tech-savvy on Surl should put together a one-stop website for local businesses to engage our players. Basically just a live spreadsheet that shows each player's name, basic bio (hometown, class, major, etc), position, links to their social profiles, how to contact them, and maybe even how many followers they have on each platform.

Also have a page on NIL rules, FAQs etc.

Then go market that website to local businesses. 

Right now I highly doubt many businesses are familiar with NIL and know what to do with it, plus player info is spread out all over the place. Something like this could have a multiplied impact on UT's NIL success by getting the broader community more involved.

• 2 weeks later...

@closetojumping @SydneyCarton thoughts?

Eric Nahlin

Humble Scribe

Staff member

Today at 1:26 PM

New

Add bookmark

@HelmetBoy pried himself away from the soccer threads long enough to make the prescient post of the month. Even @Toadvine was impressed with how easily he transitioned from writing in soccer Ainglish to American English.

Hartzell and CDC should have already recruited a shadow committee of powerful UT alumni businessmen / boosters who are working out how to administer an NIL program they can stand up quickly and operate at scale. 

There should be two objectives: 1) insource large dollar high-profile deals from within the UT booster/sponsor network that will splash headlines for stars like Bijan Robinson, and 2) facilitate bulk sponsorship deals that put a baseline of recurring NIL dollars into the pocket of every player on the roster.

The idea of our players out there spending their extremely limited time dialing for dollars and having slapdick phone calls negotiating with local business owners and operating a two-bit sponsorship hustle through their instagram DM's is ****ing absurd.

The gaffer with his usual pace and delivery.

The same people who pushed for significant change beginning last October — the triumvirate along with the big cigars — won’t be sitting idle in the new college football landscape. While the UT administration is hamstrung in what it can do when it comes to NIL, it does want Texas athletes to greatly benefit from the new rules. (Not just football players)

Yes, Texas compliance serving as Internal Affairs does grind the gears, but IT still believes UT will be one of the biggest beneficiaries of the new rules.

It should be assumed the donors who spend millions on suites, facilities, and buyouts, for years on end, are ready, willing, and able to help when it comes to NIL.

As for the triumvirate, from our vantage, confidence should remain high in Kevin Eltife, Jay Hartzell, and Chris Del Conte doing what’s best for Texas athletics in general and Texas football in particular. These three want Texas to be a dominant football school, and the new landscape, to include realignment in the future, allows for them to make that plainly obvious.

Time will tell.

Forget all the window dressing, misdirection, and camouflage--that's all bullshit. An unholy alliance of state legislatures, the courts, and the NCAA have just legalized buying players. Call it what you want, that's what it boils down to. Figuring out how do do it while still staying within the "rules" (of which there are damn few anymore) ain't rocket surgery. And we've got more money than Croesus. I'm tired of holding ourselves out to be above mixing with the longtime and well known cheaters (blOw-U and sec, sec, sec--I'm looking at you). I want to see us grow some balls and play the game. And I'll be goddammed if I want to see us outbid. (Can you say "Big, Swinging Dicks?" I knew you could.)

And Michigan strikes the first deal on revenue splitting for jersey sales.

It really shows how stupid the Texas NIL law is, since it doesn’t allow players to receive compensation if they use the school’s IP when jersey sales was one of the main focus points when the NIL lawsuits started. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31834394/michigan-athletics-official-retail-store-partners-players-sell-jerseys-names-back

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

And Michigan strikes the first deal on revenue splitting for jersey sales.

It really shows how stupid the Texas NIL law is, since it doesn’t allow players to receive compensation if they use the school’s IP when jersey sales was one of the main focus points when the NIL lawsuits started. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31834394/michigan-athletics-official-retail-store-partners-players-sell-jerseys-names-back

Well, when people have spent the better part of the last 10 years worshiping the concept of amateurism and sticking their collective fingers in their ears while rejecting reasonable disagreements they're not gonna be prepared to see the issue clearly when the paradigm finally shifts. Rather than fully accepting the incoming change our legislature enacted a law that only partially embraced that incoming changes, thereby putting Texas schools at a comparative disadvantage to schools in states that fully dealt with the changing reality. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Nick Saban on NIL this week: 

“Our QB has already approached ungodly numbers, and he hasn’t even played yet. If I told you what it is … it’s almost 7-figures."

A bit off topic for this thread, but it's fucking maddening that every year we have to hear Texas high school coaches whine about us offering players out of state, and then they go and offer Saban a headlining speaking role at their annual circle jerk.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

A bit off topic for this thread, but it's fucking maddening that every year we have to hear Texas high school coaches whine about us offering players out of state, and then they go and offer Saban a headlining speaking role at their annual circle jerk.

Or allowing an Oklahoma coach to speak for the first time in like 50 years.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

“Our QB has already approached ungodly numbers, and he hasn’t even played yet. If I told you what it is … it’s almost 7-figures."

This is fucking nuts.  Just fucking nuts.

But hey, now they are getting paid above the table.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Given how much merchandise UT moves, UT players will be fine.  

UT is the biggest brand in college sports despite so many of our teams sucking for the past decade.  Our players will definitely make out okay in all of this.

And, if football could ever stop shitting the bed, there's really no ceiling to the advantages Texas will have versus our rivals and competitors.

• Like 1

Just now, utee94 said:

UT is the biggest brand in college sports despite so many of our teams sucking for the past decade.  Our players will definitely make out okay in all of this.

And, if football could ever stop shitting the bed, there's really no ceiling to the advantages Texas will have versus our rivals and competitors

My biggest concern, well one of them, is we will see a lot of movement through the transfer portal as kids are less concerned with what school they play for, and more about what money they can get.  I waver on whether this is going to help the smaller schools out, or kill them off.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Alabama coach Nick Saban hasn't officially named Bryce Young the Crimson Tide's starting quarterback, and yet Saban says that Young is already approaching $1 million in endorsement deals.

According to reports, Saban told the Texas High School Coaches Association's convention on Tuesday that Young, a sophomore, is due to make "ungodly numbers."

While Saban wouldn't divulge the specifics of the deals Young has signed, Saban said the total compensation is "almost seven figures."

"And it's like, the guy hasn't even played yet," Saban said, according to The Athletic. "But that's because of our brand."

Young signed a deal to be represented by Creative Artists Agency on July 2 - the day after the NCAA allowed athletes to profit off their name, image and likeness.

So far, Young's only public endorsement has been in the form of a tweet for the company Cash App.

The new College 401K.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

My biggest concern, well one of them, is we will see a lot of movement through the transfer portal as kids are less concerned with what school they play for, and more about what money they can get.  I waver on whether this is going to help the smaller schools out, or kill them off.

Plus I’m not sure if this will be a motivator or a motivation killer. I can certainly see where some kids could get distracted from the task at hand if they have pocketful of Benjamins. 

Edited by TonyTexas

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I find it amusing that Saban would call one of his player making near 7 figures “ungodly numbers” when he is clearing 10x that. 

Kid just made 10% of coach’s salary without playing a down or winning multiple NCs 

How does Saban bench the kid?  

“Coach, you are messing with my money”

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1

I’d bet high school coaches are devising a way to get their cut. No way they’ll be the middle man without a slice of the action.

They’ll do the same dumb dirty shit they do now. Same with trainers, coaches and “uncles”. You might see some acting as agents of some sort to get paid.