2020 Transfer and Grad-Transfer Available Players

texifornia

33 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Mordecai plucked from OU by SMU. Not sure if discussed yet. 

Maybe, hopefully hurts OU's QB depth a bit were Rattler to get injured? I mean they are brining in another 5 star in 2021 of course so I'm guessing they just keep rolling.

According to Sooner fans, Morris has looked decent in practice and should be serviceable as a backup. They also said the same thing about Mordecai so wouldn't be surprised to see Morris in the portal in a couple seasons.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Transfer Szn is going to be wild in January. I fully expect this thread to hit 100. 

We should stop offering 3-stars and just raid all these OSU/Bama/etc guys that hit the portal

Unless the NCAA adjusts some roster limit or the "counter" rules for the 85 player scholarship roster, lots of the "3 stars and below" P5 players that enter the portal may have to step down a level (like Carson just did) to even get another scholarship.

“We’re going to see a situation this year where there could be up to 1,000 players in the portal with nowhere to go,” said South Florida coach Jeff Scott.

It's interesting that Byron Vaughns hasn't landed anywhere yet...

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Unless the NCAA adjusts some roster limit or the "counter" rules for the 85 player scholarship roster, lots of the "3 stars and below" P5 players that enter the portal may have to step down a level (like Carson just did) to even get another scholarship.

“We’re going to see a situation this year where there could be up to 1,000 players in the portal with nowhere to go,” said South Florida coach Jeff Scott.

With all the social media he's been putting out, I think he really expects to make a lateral move. Seeing as texas really didn't give him the chance he deserved. 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Then maybe it's FCS for him just like Daniel Carson. Although you would think Texas State should have made a run at him.

16 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

With all the social media he's been putting out, I think he really expects to make a lateral move. Seeing as texas really didn't give him the chance he deserved. 

I mean, first, sarcasm? (I hope)

Assuming you're talking about Vaughns - he was lucky to even make Texas' roster. How on earth would he line up a lateral move? That would be a phenomenal con-job.

29 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I mean, first, sarcasm? (I hope)

Assuming you're talking about Vaughns - he was lucky to even make Texas' roster. How on earth would he line up a lateral move? That would be a phenomenal con-job.

Yes the latter was sarcasm. But he has been spamming the hell out of social media with work outs and other motivational crap. Like hes really trying to sell himself to somebody. Div 2 isn't gonna be that hard to sell.  

No, hes trying to attract bigger fish. And yes , I agree he dosent have the pedigree for a lateral move. But quite a few Texas players seem to have an exceptionally high opinion of where they rank in the college football world for some reason. And our guy Vaughns seems is no exception. 

• Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Yes the latter was sarcasm. But he has been spamming the hell out of social media with work outs and other motivational crap. Like hes really trying to sell himself to somebody. Div 2 isn't gonna be that hard to sell.  

No, hes trying to attract bigger fish. And yes , I agree he dosent have the pedigree for a lateral move. But quite a few Texas players seem to have an exceptionally high opinion of where they rank in the college football world for some reason. And our guy Vaughns seems is no exception. 

Agree 100%. It's going to be hard for him to find a "suitable" landing spot. Either he's going to have to lower his expectations greatly, or he may find himself sitting at home. I wonder if Herman or whoever completely closed the door on him.

14 minutes ago, pacman said:

That's quite a bit of shitty projection and assumption talk regarding Vaughns. He's hardly "spamming" social media.

Come on.

That seems about an accurate discussion of Vaughns as the Samples tampering talk.

Sorry Mrs vaughns. But your son is gonna end up at Texas state. All the tweet about his workouts aren't gonna help him. 

And when I go from never seeing the guy on twitter to seeing several a week. I'll call that spamming. 

• Fuck You 1

26 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Sorry Mrs vaughns. But your son is gonna end up at Texas state. All the tweet about his workouts aren't gonna help him. 

And when I go from never seeing the guy on twitter to seeing several a week. I'll call that spamming. 

Weird that a mom would try and help her kid. Weird.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Nahlin is reporting that Cooper is interested in Texas and the ball is in our court on this one. 

Would think Illinois would have the advantage if his high school coach will be retained on Bielema's staff. Also our uncertain coaching situation doesn't really help. Hopefully Cooper waits until the February before making his transfer decision.

Grabbing a couple guys is great, I am referring to grabbing a bunch of real dudes. Not a Division 2 RB or middle of the road WR. He has done well at OL particularly Anderson and Braun.

This is not correct.

Tarik Black comes to mind, not to mention inexplicably turning down the all conference Schooler. Oh, also, Brendan Schooler.

These “dudes” are typically qbs. I think it’s obvious why we haven’t gone after them. If they’re not a qb, something happened. Academics, legal issues, etc and Tom has not ever chased any of those to my knowledge, high schoolers excluded.

Is there a particular dude we missed on that you’re referring to?

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

There's a lot of things to hang on Herman's head. Not using the Portal enough ain't one of them.

2 hours ago, kwood4408 said:

Grabbing a couple guys is great, I am referring to grabbing a bunch of real dudes. Not a Division 2 RB or middle of the road WR. He has done well at OL particularly Anderson and Braun.

Texifornia is right. UT's done well with the portal by looking for high upside guys. Because of the 25 per class limit, there are going to be caps on how many players schools can take regardless of how far they are under the 85 or 110 limits also regulating roster size. UT and most of the other blueblood programs are correctly waiting before accepting players because of this. The second signing day will have some impact of the number of available slots also.

Players are waiting to see who's on their current team is going to the NFL and if they're going to be recruited over. Coaches use bowl practices to prepare for the following season also and players to see where they'll fit in next year. Plus there are exit interviews after the season that the players can digest. From the players' side, this data will be available after the bowls and then after the second signing day.

Back channel communications are happening between players, intermediators (high school coaches, eg), and schools other than their present college. This will give players and colleges a sense of the market. While my description of the process assumes rationality, we know that there is a lot of emotion in these decisions.

The matchmaking will probably start about mid-Jan and extend until mid-Feb.

This is not correct.

Tarik Black comes to mind, not to mention inexplicably turning down the all conference Schooler. Oh, also, Brendan Schooler.

These “dudes” are typically qbs. I think it’s obvious why we haven’t gone after them. If they’re not a qb, something happened. Academics, legal issues, etc and Tom has not ever chased any of those to my knowledge, high schoolers excluded.

Is there a particular dude we missed on that you’re referring to?

The All conf Schooler and Fields were 2 that came to mind. It’s obvious y’all have much more faith in Herman’s decision making than I do. I believe the bigger issue this particular offseason will be him convincing those in the portal to come to the 40 acres.

Texifornia is right. UT's done well with the portal by looking for high upside guys. Because of the 25 per class limit, there are going to be caps on how many players schools can take regardless of how far they are under the 85 or 110 limits also regulating roster size. UT and most of the other blueblood programs are correctly waiting before accepting players because of this. The second signing day will have some impact of the number of available slots also.
Players are waiting to see who's on their current team is going to the NFL and if they're going to be recruited over. Coaches use bowl practices to prepare for the following season also and players to see where they'll fit in next year. Plus there are exit interviews after the season that the players can digest. From the players' side, this data will be available after the bowls and then after the second signing day.
Back channel communications are happening between players, intermediators (high school coaches, eg), and schools other than their present college. This will give players and colleges a sense of the market. While my description of the process assumes rationality, we know that there is a lot of emotion in these decisions.
The matchmaking will probably start about mid-Jan and extend until mid-Feb.

I completely get all of what you said, I just don’t have the greatest amount of faith in TH being able to sell it to those in the portal this season. Historically he has done well with that but I don’t see that happening this year.

The All conf Schooler and Fields were 2 that came to mind. It’s obvious y’all have much more faith in Herman’s decision making than I do. I believe the bigger issue this particular offseason will be him convincing those in the portal to come to the 40 acres.
I thought Fields didn't come because he wasn't guaranteed a starting spot, which can be justified based on team chemistry.

Also the Pac 12 guys were covid related transfers were they not? Maybe not Fields.

Black was considered a good get at the time and grad transfer. Anderson and Braun were good gets but had some flaws or limitations.

But I dont know jack about players feelings or team chemistry. There are more guys coming back that are surprises than surprises that are leaving. From that perspective, the departures are not concerning, in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kwood4408 said:

I completely get all of what you said, I just don’t have the greatest amount of faith in TH being able to sell it to those in the portal this season. Historically he has done well with that but I don’t see that happening this year.

Certainly the unsteadiness of the UT coaching staff will impact players decisions to go to the Horns, but Herman's found contributors in the past.

No one bats 1.000 on these things. OU got zero from 3 WR transfers this year after having a history of success with transfer WRs (Westbrook-juco, Brown-juco, Saunders-Fresno St, Lewis-Penn St, Brown-Penn St).

49 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Black and schooler dropped of the face of the earth it seems after around game 4.

What happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brennan Eagles was our leading receiver with a whopping 28 receptions for 469 yards.

Sam only completed 184 passes this year, but look at Okie State.

Nearly the same number of completed passes, but Wallace caught 53 for 877 yards.

We clearly didn't think anyone was worth featuring in this offense.

55 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Black and schooler dropped of the face of the earth it seems after around game 4.

What happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well, Black’s issue was he just wasn’t very good. Maybe it was all of the foot injuries over the years but he really struggled.