Cowboys v. Redskins: Jason's swan song

Jive Turkey

1 minute ago, Rougarou said:

Lessons learned:

* Jason Garrett is not and has never been the guy

* Overpaid for Zeke but he’s probably being blamed too much for this seasons failures though he didn’t do too much to help his cause

* Dak doesn’t suck, but he’s not that good either. Paying him would be repeating the same mistake as paying for Zeke but worse. maybe we can let Dak walk and pick up Jamies or Marriotta on the cheap and hope they are Tannehill2.0 with our new coach?

* Promote Gallup to #1, draft a WR in a rich WR draft class and let Amari walk

* We believed the defensive secondary was something it’s not in the off-season with Cheto and Jourdan and Byron and we never amended the opinion and strategy 9 weeks ago when it was abundantly clear they weren’t what we thought they were and can’t do what we thought they could (and would need to, to win). Needs to be addressed.

* Sean Lee sucks; it’s a shame because he was epic at one point and we were robbed of his prime by injuries.

* LVE went completely backwards this year.

* we suck

We just need a good head coach. That said, looks to me like Dak's heart isn't in Dallas.

Has to be the weirdest two years for Jason Witten and I’d be curious what his psychological state is after weathering them: 1) He leaves football (abruptly, even?) and immediately jumps into a high profile commentator role which he is ill-fitted for (at least without any training or gaining experience) and is roasted for it. Leaves in disgrace.

Goes back to playing football where he is clearly a liability (drops, slow, etc.) and is just hanging on by a Combination of a thread and Mother Jerry’s mercy.

Id be scared to death to go into coaching next year because I’d have known nothing but defeat and embarrassment and struggle in anything I’ve tried to do for the last two career choices. I think I’d be suffering with self doubt. 

1 minute ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Don't sign Dak and Trade Zeke and draft picks to Cinn for next years number one pick.

no one is going to take zeke's contract.  we are stuck with him.  his play isn't really the issue though. he's about 6th on the list.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Has to be the weirdest two years for Jason Witten and I’d be curious what his psychological state is after weathering them: 1) He leaves football (abruptly, even?) and immediately jumps into a high profile commentator role which he is ill-fitted for (at least without any training or gaining experience) and is roasted for it. Leaves in disgrace.

Goes back to playing football where he is clearly a liability (drops, slow, etc.) and is just hanging on by a Combination of a thread and Mother Jerry’s mercy.

Id be scared to death to go into coaching next year because I’d have known nothing but defeat and embarrassment and struggle in anything I’ve tried to do for the last two career choices. I think I’d be suffering with self doubt. 

And there is the part where my son's basketball team took down his son's basketball team in the semifinals of the Southlake bring your own team league last February.  I've seen him coach, he kind of sucks.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

And there is the part where my son's basketball team took down his son's basketball team in the semifinals of the Southlake bring your own team league last February.  I've seen him coach, he kind of sucks.

Grew up in Southlake during the LJH era so this hits close to home.

Edited by Rougarou

Just now, Irish Wrist Watch said:

8-8. Just like Garrett's first three years.

zero major injuries except for LVE.  even if everything is perfect he can't do it.  what a disaster.  at least 5 years wasted hoping he was anything other than an average NFL coach.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Meh. He’s overrated. Always been good. Never as good as his contemporaries.  I’m just sick of him and want everyone in this era of mediocrity gone and not celebrated.  

way fucking wrong on this take...

This year sucked, but his career didn't.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

It’s pretty amazing and shows how much Garrett fucks the team with his situational coaching.  Dallas will finish the season:

1. Having gained over 100 yards per game on offense more than they allowed on defense.

2.  Gaining nearly a full 1.5 yards more per play on offense than they allowed on defense.

3. Top 10 in scoring offense, and in or near the top 10 in scoring defense (they entered today ranked 11th).

4.  Outscoring their opponents by an average of 7 points per game. 

All of this profiles to like an 11-5 or 12-4 season.  But they managed to make it an 8-8 year through poor situational coaching, sticking with a terrible kicker who cost them a bunch of points, and generally shooting themselves in the foot at just the right moments. 

Heard on the radio that the Seahawks at 11-3 are 10-1 in one possession score games with 2 OT wins, 4 wins with 4 or less, etc.

It’s really a game of inches.

27 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Zeke is the least of this team’s problems and Dak is decent. Good not great and probably never will be. You fucking pay him over getting a guy like Winston or Mariota. Agree on Gallup and letting Amari walk - if you can retain Cobb. Lee was much better than LVE or Jaylon this year. I wouldn’t mind replacing all of them and devoting draft resources to lineman particularly DL. Also, Witten needs to go and not be a coach here. 

I’d rather have a mediocre QB at mediocre cost than pay Dak $33-35mm a year. If Dak is not the guy and we agree he isn’t, then why pay him? I’m not paying for great leadership capabilities without great football capabilities. But I like that he isNt ghetto

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

His career didn’t suck. I never said so. He was never as good as Gonzalez or Gates or later Gronk or Kelce or Ertz. He’s probably a HOFer because he’s high profile and a Cowboy. I think he had a great career. I also think he’s overrated. 

He’s a hall of famer because he’s number 2 all time on two big time Stat columns. Don’t let your emotions make you a dumbass.

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

So wtf was Witten celebrating there at the end?

You just finished the year 8-8 and missed the playoffs, which has to be considered a terrible disappointment given the potential and payroll, yet you're pumping your fist and exhorting the crowd repeatedly?

Wtf ever, man.

It's his last game with JG as head coach?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

You just finished the year 8-8 and missed the playoffs, which has to be considered a terrible disappointment given the potential and payroll, yet you're pumping your fist and exhorting the crowd repeatedly?

Wtf ever, man.

“I just proved a guy on Surly wrong, I’m going to Disney world!”

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Think you give Dak a chance to see what he can do under new coaching before throwing in the towel on him.  

The problem in “giving him a chance” is committing a few hundred million dollars to signing him. This was the year to give him a chance with a new coach. The give him a chance ship has sailed. If Dallas does not sign him to big money someone else will. 

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Lessons learned:

* Jason Garrett is not and has never been the guy

* Overpaid for Zeke but he’s probably being blamed too much for this seasons failures though he didn’t do too much to help his cause

* Dak doesn’t suck, but he’s not that good either. Paying him would be repeating the same mistake as paying for Zeke but worse. maybe we can let Dak walk and pick up Jamies or Marriotta on the cheap and hope they are Tannehill2.0 with our new coach?

* Promote Gallup to #1, draft a WR in a rich WR draft class and let Amari walk

* We believed the defensive secondary was something it’s not in the off-season with Cheto and Jourdan and Byron and we never amended the opinion and strategy 9 weeks ago when it was abundantly clear they weren’t what we thought they were and can’t do what we thought they could (and would need to, to win). Needs to be addressed.

* Sean Lee sucks; it’s a shame because he was epic at one point and we were robbed of his prime by injuries.

* LVE went completely backwards this year.

* we suck

Jameis wants 30m or more.  Mariota is just bad and broken.  Let Amari walk after spending a 1st on him last year?  I mean, there are a lot of curious opinions here.

The difficult part is because he signed Elliott, we're fucked because he was always going to sign Dak and as long as Amari (who seems the most open to taking a little less) isn't asking for Michael Thomas money, he is going to stay.  I think we're going to see some guys like Jones be allowed to walk.  Tyronn Smith in 2021 might be cut.  Frederick if he doesn't get all the way back may be let go after a year or two.... Jerrah went all in when he extended Elliott and it may fuck the cap for 4-5 years.  You can argue he went all in when he drafted a RB in the top 5.

16 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Wtf ever, man.

He just got accepted to the Hair Club for Men.

• Like 2

Okay, he’s a HOFer in his own right. But he was rarely a Top 3 TE in any season he played. All those guys I mentioned were better. As was Sharpe and will be Kittle. He’s not as great as Cowboys fans want to believe. 
If you just look at his receiving numbers you completely miss his run blocking and pass blocking prowess.
  • Like 1