Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

I think it's now the most common strain in NA.  I'd have to double check that.

I believe this is correct. I'm blanking on where, but I read that in every region except Pacific coast states, the significant majority of cases that could be traced could be linked back to travel to/from NYC area.

9 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I have to say in my small circle where I'm doing probably 95% or more of my outings from the house  here in Dallas (I live near Love Field), I'm seeing most people abiding by masks in the places I'm going, supermarkets, liquor stores, etc. I even ventured into Target on Lemmon this afternoon to get something for my daughter. Everybody had on masks except one older woman who had two kids under the age of 7 with her -- no mask on the woman or the kids. I have yet to venture into a restaurant to eat but I'm seeing some outside patios (I'm looking at you Fernando's) that are clearly not practicing any noticeable social distancing outside anyways.

There are definitely people out there screaming about the mask issue (what about 'muh rights?) on other platforms for sure but maybe not so prevalent here. Again, most of this group is pretty well-educated and reasonable on matters such as this.

Same as what I am seeing.

No one gives fuck

This is the takeaway from your observation. Young white liberals aren't out and about, too busy shitposting online. And even if they were, significant minority. Fake army protesters are also a fringe minority.

Most people aren't passionate about the debate one way or another. They aren't really "somewhere in the middle," either. They're ignorant and/or indifferent.

At this point we're rolling the dice on opening up without the recommended measures so I'm kind of done advocating for something else. Decision's been made. Just gotta hope for the best and do what you can individually. I'm hoping it just turns out I and others of similar mind were wrong in our assessments. I'll take all the victory negs surly can offer if we avoid a big second wave and we can have football in the fall. We'll see.
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Bruno Sardine said:

Yeah, many predicted disaster when the governor decided to reopen. But disaster hasn’t struck. Not sure what gives. 

Just because something re-opened doesn’t mean people began to flock to restaurants, gyms, etc.

Public polling shows a vast majority aren’t ready to get out there yet.

Many companies are still keeping employees home in reopened states for a while longer. 

A good example is the number of Texas restaurants that stayed to-go only because it’s not worth it to be only 25% capacity.  Businesses and consumers alike are hesitant to rush a return to normal. That’s a good thing (right now). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Just because something re-opened doesn’t mean people began to flock to restaurants, gyms, etc.

Public polling shows a vast majority aren’t ready to get out there yet.

Many companies are still keeping employees home in reopened states for a while longer. 

A good example is the number of Texas restaurants that stayed to-go only because it’s not worth it to be only 25% capacity.  Businesses and consumers alike are hesitant to rush a return to normal. That’s a good thing (right now). 

Yes, a friend of mine in Atlanta says it's similar to what we're seeing here in Texas.  Restaurants and other businesses have been allowed to reopen, but many of them have not.  

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Georgia is almost 3 weeks into their reopen. Is there a massive amount of cases and deaths that we were talking about before it opened? Since rule of thumb is death lags 2-3 weeks so their hospitalizations should be rocketing

https://publicintegrity.org/health/coronavirus-and-inequality/as-georgia-reopens-its-intensive-care-beds-are-largely-full/

A slide prepared by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services for an interagency briefing last week said Georgia’s intensive care unit beds were 79 percent full on May 6, based on data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“Data suggest that Georgia may have limited healthcare capacity margin to respond to a future surge in critically ill patients,” reads the slide, which is marked “NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION.”

Georgia as a whole is seeing a slight decrease in its average new daily coronavirus cases since late April — from 741 in the week ending April 26 to 702 the week ending May 10. But in the 21 counties that make up the Atlanta metropolitan statistical area — which has the bulk of the state’s coronavirus cases — the average of new daily cases has gone up in that same time frame. And ICU beds in the region are already mostly full.

ICU beds in the 12-county hospital region just south of Atlanta were nearly 89 percent full on May 11, state data shows. Most of the other regions bordering Atlanta were over 70 percent full. 

In the region home to Atlanta and the CDC’s headquarters, nearly two in every three critical care beds were occupied. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Everybody had on masks except one older woman who had two kids under the age of 7 with her -- no mask on the woman or the kids.

Just as a PSA: Kids that young are recommended to not wear them.  Messing with their mask/face is a greater risk than not wearing one at all.

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

That's great. Wonderful. There's a whole thread for that over in the Cloak Room. Why aren't you posting about it there? The only reason anyone is posting that shit here is because they're looking to pick a fight and there's no one over there to fight with. I'm not here to read about how broken this fucking country is, I know how broken this country is, dude. But the only reason you're ranting about that shit here and not in the politics board is because you're looking to pick some kind of fight or make some kind of statement to people who don't want to hear it. Yet you insist on making your point. You guys have been making it on this thread every day for weeks. But no one can answer the question of why you guys don't have this conversation over in the Cloak Room. I guess the answer is some version of "FUCK YOU!  NOBODY TELLS ME WHAT TO DO!  FASCIST AUTHORITARIANS!  FREEDOM LIBERTY PATRIOT!"

In all seriousness, part of why this thread is such a shit show is that a public health crisis requires a coordinated public health response with a high level of social consensus to comply.  It's exceedingly difficult to discuss this disease and the potential threat to social fabric or economic wellbeing without bringing politics into it because our national politics are determining the response at this moment, both at a government and cultural level. That's just the reality of where we are. 

I'll give you an example:
Clearly, me trolling AR-15 guys on this thread last week was shitposting and my time out (1st ever) was deserved. As a lifelong gun owner who has talked guns both online and IRL with many on this thread I think I can credibly say that I wasn't driven by any agenda other than making fun of the Barbie dream house aspects of that particular gun and the look-at-me-and-my-accessories culture that surrounds it. I didn't mean for it to be political, but it was absolutely shit posting. And in this climate the AR-15 is such a powerful symbol of political tribal affiliation that it's kind of impossible to make fun of it without intrinsic political content. After all, that's why people bring the AR-15 gun to protests about a public health regime - the AR-15 is more totem than tool at this point. There's a better gun than the AR-15 for everything related to shooting, but the AR-15 is absolutely the best gun to take selfies with at Chipotle or wave around at a protest. 

Likewise, I believe that the emergence of Coronavirus was a natural phenomenon that could not have been prevented but the spread of coronavirus in this country and the consequent economic catastrophe is a man-made disaster caused by our politics. That's not a statement of affiliation. But to discuss that idea certainly requires the acknowledgment of politics and their import.  This isn't a safe space from poltics because there are no safe spaces left. Our politics can literally cost you your job or worse, kill you. That's America in 2020.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 6

18 minutes ago, Hate said:

Do you know any humans? Racism is not a uniquely American thing. I know that’s a strange thought, but it is true.

14 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Have you been to any other countries ?  

Lighten up, girls, it was a joke. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 12:50 PM, babysdaddy said:

I went and looked at the COVID-19 dashboard and looked at their source data to figure out growth rates of cases and fatalities. 

First, Texas has tested 455,162 (they do not provide, or I couldn't find, daily testing numbers over time so I can't tell how much it has increased.) and 35390 cases for a cumulative positive case to testing percentage of 7.78%.  For reference, NY and NJ were hitting 50% I think at their peak.  I'm certain that number was higher for us but has declined as testing has increased.  Can't prove it though due to lack of information provided.

Second, the case growth has slowed.  Using a 7 day average starting on April 1st, our 7 day average increase in daily cases has gone from 22.67% on 4/1 to 3.5% as of yesterday.  

Third, the fatality growth has slowed.  Using a 7 day average starting on April 1st, our 7 day average increase in deaths has gone from 28.89% on 4/1 to 3.77% yesterday.  

587,431 as of today for an increase of 132k tests or 22,044/day.  42,403 total cases for a cumulative positive case to testing percentage of 7.2%.  Of the increase in tests and cases over the last 6 days, we've had 132k new tests and 7013 new cases for a positive test rate of 5.3%.

Looked at the average daily hospitalizations too this time and the peaked on 5/5 at 1,888 and sit at 1,676 today.  

Increased testing=increased cases but positive test rates decreasing and it looks like hospitalizations decreasing.

Wear a mask, don't be old af, don't be fat af.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Likewise, I believe that the emergence of Coronavirus was a natural phenomenon that could not have been prevented but the spread of coronavirus in this country and the consequent economic catastrophe is a man-made disaster caused by our politics. 

So is this true in every other country? I don't think you're saying our politics caused the pandemic. Did all bad politics in all countries cause it?

Confusing.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

587,431 as of today for an increase of 132k tests or 22,044/day.  42,403 total cases for a cumulative positive case to testing percentage of 7.2%.  Of the increase in tests and cases over the last 6 days, we've had 132k new tests and 7013 new cases for a positive test rate of 5.3%.
Looked at the average daily hospitalizations too this time and the peaked on 5/5 at 1,888 and sit at 1,676 today.  
Increased testing=increased cases but positive test rates decreasing and it looks like hospitalizations decreasing.

No shit @ the last sentence. Wish people would listen to this
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

This is the takeaway from your observation. Young white liberals aren't out and about, too busy shitposting online. And even if they were, significant minority. Fake army protesters are also a fringe minority.

Most people aren't passionate about the debate one way or another. They aren't really "somewhere in the middle," either. They're ignorant and/or indifferent.

At this point we're rolling the dice on opening up without the recommended measures so I'm kind of done advocating for something else. Decision's been made. Just gotta hope for the best and do what you can individually. I'm hoping it just turns out I and others of similar mind were wrong in our assessments. I'll take all the victory negs surly can offer if we avoid a big second wave and we can have football in the fall. We'll see.

we already got the victory  Millions to 100K and more importantly no cratering of the medical system.  the recommended measures were only going to make it potentially incrementally better as we moved beyond flu season.  now we are going to punch it in from the 2 up by 10 against, toothless inbreds, with 10 seconds left.  cause 'Murica!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Which posters here are saying that?

Nobody is saying that here.  That is how your mind gets warped when you spend most of your time in the cloak room reading all the twitter posts that the cloak room idiots toss out to fuel their rage. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

In all seriousness, part of why this thread is such a shit show is that a public health crisis requires a coordinated public health response with a high level of social consensus to comply.  It's exceedingly difficult to discuss this disease and the potential threat to social fabric or economic wellbeing without bringing politics into it because our national politics are determining the response at this moment, both at a government and cultural level. That's just the reality of where we are. 

Clearly, me trolling AR-15 guys on this thread last week was shitposting and my time out (1st ever) was deserved. As a lifelong gun owner who has talked guns both online and IRL with many on this thread I think I can credibly say that I wasn't driven by any agenda other than making fun of the Barbie dream house aspects of that particular gun and the look-at-me-and-my-accessories culture that surrounds it. I didn't mean for it to be political, but it was absolutely shit posting. And in this climate the AR-15 is such a powerful symbol of political tribal affiliation that it's kind of impossible to make fun of it without intrinsic political content. After all, that's why people bring the AR-15 gun to protests about a public health regime - the AR-15 is more totem than tool at this point. 

Likewise, I believe that the emergence of Coronavirus was a natural phenomenon that could not have been prevented but the spread of coronavirus in this country and the consequent economic catastrophe is a man-made disaster caused by our politics. That's not a statement of affiliation. But to discuss that idea certainly requires the acknowledgment of politics and their import.  This isn't a safe space from poltics because there are no safe spaces left. Our politics can literally cost you your job or worse, kill you. That's America in 2020.

If only there was a way to post the message from a shit post twice in the same thread while claiming to be a victim of unfair rules that are literally listed in the thread title.  I bet there is a CR corona version where you will not be limited by such harsh and abusive rules.   I wonder where that might be?

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

So is this true in every other country? I don't think you're saying our politics caused the pandemic. Did all bad politics in all countries cause it?

Confusing.

No, although the politics of china contributed to the emergence of the disease. What I'm saying is that the scale of the impact on our country as measured by lives lost and GDP contraction is the direct result of our political dysfunction. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

BUT MUH RIGHTS AND MUH SWEET TEA

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, stork642 said:

If only there was a way to post the message from a shit post twice in the same thread while claiming to be a victim of unfair rules that are literally listed in the thread title.  I bet there is a CR corona version where you will not be limited by such harsh and abusive rules.   I wonder where that might be?

whoosh

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EuroHorn said:

Nobody is saying that here.  That is how your mind gets warped when you spend most of your time in the cloak room reading all the twitter posts that the cloak room idiots toss out to fuel their rage. 

I am curious, who on THIS thread, has actually stated they won't wear a mask and that it is an unacceptable imposition on their rights? I haven't read every post on this thread because honestly, when I see the back-and-forths and political talk kick up, I just skip large sections of text.  

But I haven't seen anyone on THIS thread say that.  It's possible I missed it though.

I'm firmly in the "open it up" camp because I believe we have achieved the stated goal of flattening the curve, and I'm happy to wear a mask and set the expectations with everyone else I interact with, that they will do so as well. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

BUT MUH RIGHTS AND MUH SWEET TEA

See, who on this thread is saying stuff like that?

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

Confusing.

Arcing power lines caused Wildfire X.  But as that wildfire spread, localized property conditions -- including conditions that were the result of intentional choices -- had a role in how that spreading fire impacted specific properties.  As the fire moved down the street, the houses that had cleared flammable brush and materials away in a 50 foot radius fared better than those that didn't.  The houses where people heard the fire was coming, and turned on all their sprinklers to help suppress embers falling the property fared better than the neighbors  who didn't react until the last second.

Some houses did a better job than others at responding to a spreading fire.  And discussing the fire, impacts of same, and suppression of same, without discussing the choices made as to how to avoid and suppress a fire results in a pretty insane discussion.  But, here we are.  

• Like 2

given some of the latest findings and with 20/20 hindsight, there are bascially 4 main things I think we could have really done differently that would have made a huge difference in deaths if you were already aware that 10's of thousands at least were going to die no matter  what we did.

1. no travel in from anywhere jan 30th

2. quarantine NY/NJ

3. not fuck up the original test

4. high level lockdown of the elderly care facilities - we needed to focus our minimal early testing efforts there.

everything else was only going to help at the margins.  people of any intelligence(this does not include teenagers and college spring breakers) were going to stop flying, stop shaking hands, naturally social distance, etc.  I do agree shutting down scheduled mass gatherings(games, concerts, SXSW) was needed.  I'm not sure other shutdowns helped that much.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Arcing power lines caused Wildfire X.  But as that wildfire spread, localized property conditions -- including conditions that were the result of intentional choices -- had a role in how that spreading fire impacted specific properties.  As the fire moved down the street, the houses that had cleared flammable brush and materials away in a 50 foot radius fared better than those that didn't.  The houses where people heard the fire was coming, and turned on all their sprinklers to help suppress embers falling the property fared better than the neighbors  who didn't react until the last second.

Some houses did a better job than others at responding to a spreading fire.  And discussing the fire, impacts of same, and suppression of same, without discussing the choices made as to how to avoid and suppress a fire results in a pretty insane discussion.  But, here we are.  

now tell it from the perspective of the wolf

Just now, HoffaJimmy said:

The long term mental health issues that are going to come from this is going to be off the charts. The worst thing someone with any type of depression can do is stay inside 24/7. 

Speaking as someone who struggles with both seasonal and periodic clinical depression, I have to say that I think people are doing a good job of taking care of each other and themselves. This is the first time in my life where I can remember people talking about mental health without stigma and the importance of things like routine and exercise and diet and simple acts of kindness. It's honestly kind of inspiring and I'm very impressed with my fellow Americans in a lot of ways. People are taking up baking and having concerts on their porch and riding bikes and calling to check up on each other and clapping into the wind to say thanks to the docs and nurses and food service people. I honestly think a lot of good can come out of this when it's all said and done. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Clearly, me trolling AR-15 guys on this thread last week was shitposting and my time out (1st ever) was deserved. As a lifelong gun owner who has talked guns both online and IRL with many on this thread I think I can credibly say that I wasn't driven by any agenda other than making fun of the Barbie dream house aspects of that particular gun and the look-at-me-and-my-accessories culture that surrounds it. I didn't mean for it to be political, but it was absolutely shit posting. And in this climate the AR-15 is such a powerful symbol of political tribal affiliation that it's kind of impossible to make fun of it without intrinsic political content. After all, that's why people bring the AR-15 gun to protests about a public health regime - the AR-15 is more totem than tool at this point. There's a better gun than the AR-15 for everything related to shooting, but the AR-15 is absolutely the best gun to take selfies with at Chipotle or wave around at a protest. 

Sure, everything you’ve said here is more or less true. But thanks for admitting that it’s reasonable for people to want a place to get resources, or news, or possible insight without having to wade through LITERALLY hundreds of pages and thousands of shit posts. I’ll give you huge credit for admitting that it’s shitpisting, because it is shitpisting. And my point is, that while you’re right about a debate can’t truly be had, it doesn’t change the fact that this isn’t where that conversation should take place. It’s not to much to ask for there to be a thread where people can get updates and information without wading through rivers of fucking shit and a bunch of self righteous fucks proselytizing about what they think America should be to everyone. GO DO IT OVER THERE. I literary just got a text from a buddy asking me And a group of friends to confirm something he hears about today’s senate hearing and I can’t because I can’t get any fucking information out of this goddamn thread. The irony of bunch of people claiming to be all about public health and against the repression of information sure are inadvertently making it hard for folks who’d love to use this thread as a resource for fucking information. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

given some of the latest findings and with 20/20 hindsight, there are bascially 4 main things I think we could have really done differently that would have made a huge difference in deaths if you were already aware that 10's of thousands at least were going to die no matter  what we did.

2. quarantine NY/NJ

4. high level lockdown of the elderly care facilities - we needed to focus our minimal early testing efforts there.

everything else was only going to help at the margins.  people of any intelligence(this does not include teenagers and college spring breakers) were going to stop flying, stop shaking hands, naturally social distance, etc.  I do agree shutting down scheduled mass gatherings(games, concerts, SXSW) was needed.  I'm not sure other shutdowns helped that much.

But you know nobody of either party would have done those first two at an early enough stage to matter.  Nobody.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

2. quarantine NY/NJ

I don't know if we could have feasibly implemented a full travel shutdown that early.  I just don't think it was politically or commercially feasible at that date.

And as for your points 2-3, that requires an initial response of "it's here....let's find out where and how bad it is."  We didn't do that.  At all.  We had neither the will or the means (screwed up the testing) to do so.  

As for the eldercare facilities....man, that one is looking like a universal fuckup.  Particularly in locales that sent people who were likely infected BACK to such facilities instead of isolating them.

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

2. quarantine NY/NJ

think this is right, but I think closing schools was pretty important and should have happened sooner, but in a smaller set of places. 

Just now, Brisketexan said:

I don't know if we could have feasibly implemented a full travel shutdown that early.  I just don't think it was politically or commercially feasible at that date.

And as for your points 2-3, that requires an initial response of "it's here....let's find out where and how bad it is."  We didn't do that.  At all.  We had neither the will or the means (screwed up the testing) to do so.  

As for the eldercare facilities....man, that one is looking like a universal fuckup.  Particularly in locales that sent people who were likely infected BACK to such facilities instead of isolating them.

we could have shut down all foreign travel easily(not domestic, I said in).  hell we did it not 20 years ago.

yep CDC fucking up the test hurt.

we needed to know from China that this was shitting all over the olds mostly but that in and of itself may not have helped a ton. strangely enough I don't think we've had an epidemic that crushed old folks like this.

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

think this is right, but I think closing schools was pretty important and should have happened sooner, but in a smaller set of places. 

given the propensity towards the olds getting crushed, I'm not real sure, that said while it really sucked for my senior I can't say that 2.5 months is going to change a whole lot of educational outcomes.  they need to go back in the fall.  there really is no other option for multiple reasons.

13 minutes ago, HoffaJimmy said:

The long term mental health issues that are going to come from this is going to be off the charts. The worst thing someone with any type of depression can do is stay inside 24/7. 

Post-COVID traumatic stress disorder is going to be a thing. 

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sure, everything you’ve said here is more or less true. But thanks for admitting that it’s reasonable for people to want a place to get resources, or news, or possible insight without having to wade through LITERALLY hundreds of pages and thousands of shit posts. I’ll give you huge credit for admitting that it’s shitpisting, because it is shitpisting. And my point is, that while you’re right about a debate can’t truly be had, it doesn’t change the fact that this isn’t where that conversation should take place. It’s not to much to ask for there to be a thread where people can get updates and information without wading through rivers of fucking shit and a bunch of self righteous fucks proselytizing about what they think America should be to everyone. GO DO IT OVER THERE. I literary just got a text from a buddy asking me And a group of friends to confirm something he hears about today’s senate hearing and I can’t because I can’t get any fucking information out of this goddamn thread. The irony of bunch of people claiming to be all about public health and against the repression of information sure are inadvertently making it hard for folks who’d love to use this thread as a resource for fucking information. 

I think that's fair, but it certainly seems as though there are two camps contributing to this:
1) Those who are looking to discuss the pandemic in its entirety, including the political factors that contributed to it. 
2) Those who are looking to talk about what to do about China and bitch about the racial narrative, California, state income taxes in NY,  liberal cities, etc. 

I'm in the first group, and I think everyone in the first group is essentially saying that you while you can pull the partisanship out of it, you can't really pull the politics completely out of it.
It appears as though the second group genuinely believes that what they are posting isn't political.

I'm not trying to make a case for fairness, I'm saying that you can't do this without politics unless the content is fully restricted to information - data, medical updates, etc. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

given the propensity towards the olds getting crushed, I'm not real sure, that said while it really sucked for my senior I can't say that 2.5 months is going to change a whole lot of educational outcomes.  they need to go back in the fall.  there really is no other option for multiple reasons.

Sure, but the problem isn't really the health of the kids, but the kids as a vector for transmission between families. 

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I think that's fair, but it certainly seems as though there are two camps contributing to this:
1) Those who are looking to discuss the pandemic in its entirety, including the political factors that contributed to it. 
2) Those who are looking to talk about what to do about China and bitch about the racial narrative, California, state income taxes in NY,  liberal cities, etc. 

I'm in the first group, and I think everyone in the first group is essentially saying that you while you can pull the partisanship out of it, you can't really pull the politics completely out of it.
It appears as though the second group genuinely believes that what they are posting isn't political.

I'm not trying to make a case for fairness, I'm saying that you can't do this without politics unless the content is fully restricted to information - data, medical updates, etc. 

I’d trade a link dump thread over this shitshow any day.

• Like 2

Just now, gmr548 said:

I was under the impression China was the opponent, but now you tell me we're playing OU?

I'll make this simple for you.  Yes, Wuhan viruses(maybe virusi) are the OU players.  China is Switzer.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away