Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

26 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

This is just it.  So many restaurants and entertainment businesses run on thin margins.  Just because you say you ‘open the economy’ that doesn’t magically fix shit.  
The protesters crack me up, I get it...everyone needs to vent.  But even when big brother allows things to open, it doesn’t mean they will.   

Which for many, I believe is the point:  the self-determination as to whether they want to risk opening or continue to SIP.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

So on the putting animals down front, a client that farrows for Smithfield said they told him that they won't take any hogs with flaws for sure to finish out of the current groups by mid-May, so that he probably out to start shooting the ones that won't make weight now so he doesn't have to do it at the last minute. 

Does anyone else besides me read Royalfan5 posts using Sam Elliott's voice from Lebowski? I like your style dude.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Beef finished the days on new highs again, moving past $330, with pork still holding below $90. The number of boxed beef loads was 99, so were off about 10% from last week which isn't as much as the run rates has went down, likely reflecting some heavier animals with the back up, which is a least at little offset, we should be seeing the same in hogs too. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

That laughing sound you hear is echoing all the way from West Virginia....

I bet they have pretty strong immune systems up there in the backwoods.     It’s like College Station, stuff is jumping back and forth between humans and collies all the time.   

17 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

Beef finished the days on new highs again, moving past $330, with pork still holding below $90. The number of boxed beef loads was 99, so were off about 10% from last week which isn't as much as the run rates has went down, likely reflecting some heavier animals with the back up, which is a least at little offset, we should be seeing the same in hogs too. 

I gave South Austin's mom's box a beef load last night 

• Like 5

TMZ on NASCAR:

The governor of North Carolina says he's working like crazy with NASCAR and health officials to keep the Coca-Cola 600 Memorial Weekend race on schedule as planned next month ... but without fans in the stands.

Gov. Roy Cooper announced the plan to keep the May 24 race as scheduled ... saying the state has been in contact with NASCAR and the Charlotte Motor Speedway to come up with the safest possible social distancing protocol.

"We believe that unless health conditions go down, we believe we can hold the Coca-Cola 600," Cooper said on Tuesday ... adding NASCAR will make a statement on the decision later this week.

The state of North Carolina has extended the stay-at-home order through May 8 ... but Cooper deemed pro race team shops "essential businesses" to allow them to prepare for the future.

NASCAR has postponed all events since March 13

1 minute ago, bigup2dahorns said:

TMZ on NASCAR:

The governor of North Carolina says he's working like crazy with NASCAR and health officials to keep the Coca-Cola 600 Memorial Weekend race on schedule as planned next month ... but without fans in the stands.

Gov. Roy Cooper announced the plan to keep the May 24 race as scheduled ... saying the state has been in contact with NASCAR and the Charlotte Motor Speedway to come up with the safest possible social distancing protocol.

"We believe that unless health conditions go down, we believe we can hold the Coca-Cola 600," Cooper said on Tuesday ... adding NASCAR will make a statement on the decision later this week.

The state of North Carolina has extended the stay-at-home order through May 8 ... but Cooper deemed pro race team shops "essential businesses" to allow them to prepare for the future.

giphy.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

So on the putting animals down front, a client that farrows for Smithfield said they told him that they won't take any hogs with flaws for sure to finish out of the current groups by mid-May, so that he probably out to start shooting the ones that won't make weight now so he doesn't have to do it at the last minute. 

Those under weight pigs going to be like

52edf7589f5a40fd6e2bdf69294cdffe.gif

Following up on the restaurant profit/pricing discussion the reopening restaurants are going to run face first into huge cost increases for protein.  So add that to the list.

1.) employees unwilling to return to work due to taking a paycut vs. UE

2.) government capacity restrictions 

3.) significant raw materials cost increased

Unfortunately, It probably makes economic sense for many to not reopen or delay as long as possible.

6 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

This one is huge.  Hearing more and more stories about this happening.  

I have issue with the stimulus check, and wouldn’t have an issue with unemployment matching prior pay, but giving an effective raise To stay home isn’t a great incentive to help phase back in. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

TMZ on NASCAR:

Having attended many a NASCAR race in my younger years, many fans definitely had what you’d call “underlying conditions”.  

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Having attended many a NASCAR race in my younger years, many fans definitely had what you’d call “underlying conditions”.  

Been to a DKR game lately......

*ducks and runs.

Seriously, our section 102, right in front of the EMTs.  YOY we'd see them, and each year some jelly-belly would stroke out and get stuck and be unable to walk back down.  I vividly remember one guy passing at the hospital (next game they told us what happened).  The heat and health of so many is just too much.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Incredulity said:

The conflicting premises that bother me are that and also,

if this is as contagious as we think why would it take until March for it to reach the United States?  There were daily direct flights to SFO from Wuhan and direct flights to JFK.  

As more data comes out, I'm starting to think several factors.  I was in the same boat as far as conflicted over it being here early.

after looking at Texas flu data and seeing the ramp up from 10/1 - 1/23, 110k flu tests with only 28k positives.  So 75% of ILI's last fall/winter were something other than one of the several flu strains.   Also, the mortality/age curve was very similar, <0.1% for 0-17's slowly increasing to the great majority of seats from the 65+ group. 

Now, with prison data showing around 96% of infected prisoners being asymptomatic with some of those prisons also having up to 60% infection rate...

the other thing I found interesting is that story about flu vaccine epparently increasing serious pulmonary infection by 36%...  I wonder how many of the severely affected and those who have died had a flu vaccine?  

Another factor is that CV-19 is most dangerous for older people, parricularly the 80+ group.  For one, there are a lot fewer of them in the general population.  Also, with state data they make up by far the lowest number of people who get ILI's in part because there are fewer of them and also  maybe because they are more likely to have caught crap in their lives and have antibodies for more different things?  Also, they are probably less mobile, travel less, go out less, and therefore encounter fewer germs on a daily basis.  Except if they are in a nursing home and shit goes down there, then watch out.  

5 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

As more data comes out, I'm starting to think several factors.  I was in the same boat as far as conflicted over it being here early.

after looking at Texas flu data and seeing the ramp up from 10/1 - 1/23, 110k flu tests with only 28k positives.  So 75% of ILI's last fall/winter were something other than one of the several flu strains.   Also, the mortality/age curve was very similar, <0.1% for 0-17's slowly increasing to the great majority of seats from the 65+ group. 

Now, with prison data showing around 96% of infected prisoners being asymptomatic with some of those prisons also having up to 60% infection rate...

the other thing I found interesting is that story about flu vaccine epparently increasing serious pulmonary infection by 36%...  I wonder how many of the severely affected and those who have died had a flu vaccine?  

Another factor is that CV-19 is most dangerous for older people, parricularly the 80+ group.  For one, there are a lot fewer of them in the general population.  Also, with state data they make up by far the lowest number of people who get ILI's in part because there are fewer of them and also  maybe because they are more likely to have caught crap in their lives and have antibodies for more different things?  Also, they are probably less mobile, travel less, go out less, and therefore encounter fewer germs on a daily basis.  Except if they are in a nursing home and shit goes down there, then watch out.  

This last part could explain why we didn't see the high number of deaths, even if the virus were here much earlier than originally thought.  At first, for a while, perhaps it's being passed around by the younger and more mobile people in the lower risk groups.  Not until it's finally introduced into nursing homes, does the death rate climb as it rips through the most vulnerable in our society.

That's not necessarily my opinion, but rather some speculation on how it could be present at a higher rate, and an earlier date, without sending as many people to the hospital as we would have expected.

Been to a DKR game lately......

*ducks and runs.
Seriously, our section 102, right in front of the EMTs.  YOY we'd see them, and each year some jelly-belly would stroke out and get stuck and be unable to walk back down.  I vividly remember one guy passing at the hospital (next game they told us what happened).  The heat and health of so many is just too much.  

What game did he see before he passed? I could see some of them leading to underlying conditions.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

I have issue with the stimulus check, and wouldn’t have an issue with unemployment matching prior pay, but giving an effective raise To stay home isn’t a great incentive to help phase back in. 

The problem is twofold.   First, there is no easy way to distinguish between people economically impacted by covid, those inconvenienced by it, and those not affected at all.  You can’t simply look at a paycheck and see the full picture of that person’s living situation and whether covid has caused them to incur additional expenses that normally wouldn’t be present (additional expenses that unemployment would not cover).  .  

Second, much like the tax rebate(s)or whatever back in 2008, and this is what the leadership in D.C. wants, the stimulus checks aren’t just about hose unemployed, it’s about getting people spending and keeping businesses afloat.   In theory, it could help some who would be unemployed or underemployed as a result of covid, or at least their employers.   Reality is a different story for many.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The problem is twofold.   First, there is no easy way to distinguish between people economically impacted by covid, those inconvenienced by it, and those not affected at all.  You can’t simply look at a paycheck and see the full picture of that person’s living situation and whether covid has caused them to incur additional expenses that normally wouldn’t be present (additional expenses that unemployment would not cover).  .  

Second, much like the tax rebate(s)or whatever back in 2008, and this is what the leadership in D.C. wants, the stimulus checks aren’t just about hose unemployed, it’s about getting people spending and keeping businesses afloat.   In theory, it could help some who would be unemployed or underemployed as a result of covid, or at least their employers.   Reality is a different story for many.   

I missed no in front of issue when I typed that. 

Edited by Royalfan5

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Of course, nuance in DC is in short supply.  As usual, it's a top-down, one size fits all solution that revolves around throwing mountains of cash at the problem....creating an untold number of unintended consequences.  I fear this, and not the virus, will be our biggest obstacle to recovery

well, I hope not, but I don't really want the government telling the workers "you have to go back to work"
now, since we all seem to be in universal agreement that regardless of party the modern American president is supposed to be like Oprah giving shit away, then if the Feds want to backstop the meat processors financially so they can pay hazard pay for workers who VOLUNTEER to come in and work at a place where the infection rate is apparently almost 25%, I guess that would be OK 

Smart and incentivized private and public leaders cant figure out how meat packers could safely pack meat? They’d rather shut down plants and compel workers to work in unsafe conditions?

[insert Bruce Willis contingency plan speech from Armageddon]

well, I hope not, but I don't really want the government telling the workers "you have to go back to work"

now, since we all seem to be in universal agreement that regardless of party the modern American president is supposed to be like Oprah giving shit away, then if the Feds want to backstop the meat processors financially so they can pay hazard pay for workers who VOLUNTEER to come in and work at a place where the infection rate is apparently almost 25%, I guess that would be OK 

DP

57 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

Wyoming sent out an email that if you are called back to work, you have to go and stop receiving benefits. No idea if or how they plan to track that. 

58 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

ya think?  there's gonna be some big semi's trying to drive through this covid19 hole...

50 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

I haven't seen this discussed here. Is this statement independent of coronavirus? Or are you saying that if someone gets a flu shot, and then contracts coronavirus, that the risk of pulmonary infection increases? I did a search for this and couldn't find any sources (probably didn't search enough). 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away