Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

18 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yep, slowly opening while continuing to ramp up testing is fine.  And yes, the main purpose of stay at home was to maintain hospital capacity.  Not to wait for the virus to actually go away...everyone knew it would still be there when we slowly open back up.  Well, everyone with a brain. 

Well, those seem to be in short supply along with the toilet paper.

1 minute ago, justhookit said:

It’s not like you are going to see any restaurants open that aren’t already open for takeout now. They can’t operate at 25% capacity and make a profit.

But the one's who don't open won't be able to collect on their insurance policies, which I think is probably the whole point of this.

Edited by kevwun

4 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Well, those seem to be in short supply along with the toilet paper.

Man, I was at HEB yesterday in Katy, and there was toilet paper, paper towels, Kleenex, etc., and even more than one brand.  Not full shelves mind you, but available.

42 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

If you are applauding being the first state to re-open when almost every public health official is warning against it... well.... 

hope u like football/sports starting in january

you sound like the same karen that forces school boards to ban PB sandwhiches from the entire district because 1 kid is allergic.

BLUF  quit being a fucking pussy 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, justhookit said:

It’s not like you are going to see any restaurants open that aren’t already open for takeout now. They can’t operate at 25% capacity and make a profit.

Maybe not, but they might be able to lower their losses and thus prolong their chance of survival. Plus moving on the slow road to 100% recovery has to start at some point, the sooner the better.

7 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

today is officially the longest i have went without a HC in 20 years.  i dont know how i feel about this

You know to the day when you have gotten haircuts over the past 20 years?

• Like 7

1 minute ago, htown85 said:

Legit (and probably dumb) question - what is the actual fear of having to shut down again after we reopen?  What is the negative impact of that happening versus staying shut down until there is a vaccine?

depends on who you ask, it can go anywhere from we are all dead within days, italy in 2 weeks to nothing and everything in between.   My biggest concern are people without jobs and losing everything over this.  I have no horse in thsi race as I am teleworking and getting paid but i worry about the 30 mil losing it all 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, htown85 said:

Legit (and probably dumb) question - what is the actual fear of having to shut down again after we reopen?  What is the negative impact of that happening versus staying shut down until there is a vaccine?

I wouldn’t doubt if it happens in some areas.  I imagine there will be rolling 3 week shutdowns for some services and SiP for some areas until we have a vaccine.   But having a plan to try and see will give us some data.  

continuing as is will bankrupt most of the hospitals in the country too.   I don’t think that’s a good option either unless we want “The Walking Dead” to become a real life game show.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

today is officially the longest i have went without a HC in 20 years.  i dont know how i feel about this

Same here, except 31 years.

Told wife I would not get haircut until I see a legit high school, college, or pro football game.  Not sure she was cool with that.

18 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I wouldn’t doubt if it happens in some areas.  I imagine there will be rolling 3 week shutdowns for some services and SiP for some areas until we have a vaccine.   But having a plan to try and see will give us some data.  

continuing as is will bankrupt most of the hospitals in the country too.   I don’t think that’s a good option either unless we want “The Walking Dead” to become a real life game show.  

Right, this seems like common sense.  I just read a lot of "fearing we will have to shut down again" comments and not really sure what is to be feared.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hmmm said:

smh at these posts.  we can have multiple discussions at the same time.  and if my ship hits an iceberg, you damn well better be sure I want to know where that iceberg is so i don't hit it again.

If the iceburg is in the Indian Ocean is that racist?

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

The goal of stay-at-home orders was to flatten the curve and prevent the hospitals from being overrun, which we have definitely achieved in Texas. It makes sense to slowly reopen businesses and keep a close watch on testing numbers and hospital capacity. If it goes well, then roll out phase 2. If it doesn't go well, then we pull back again.

The people arguing against this now seem to have shifted the goal of stay-at-home orders to something other than protecting the healthcare system. I'm not sure what they think a rational endpoint is. Eradication of COVID-19 or vaccine availability? Neither is likely to occur within a year.

No one is forcing a business to reopen or for people to go out to restaurants. People still have the option to stay home and lots of people will.

you apparently don't "ballgame".  pos rep

10 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Why is the open/don’t open argument split right down the line that must not be mentioned here. It’s fucking ridiculous.

I’d say a lot of it is that the media is based in NYC. It has informed their opinion of how the rest of the country should proceed even if conditions are vastly different elsewhere. They obviously cater to a certain audience. 

• Like 4

“I’m smarter than everyone else because I believe in xxxx policy” is the fucking dumbest, moutbreathing thought on planet earth.  Jesus Tapdancing on a toothpick some of y’all.  

no sense of well-rounded logic, only the logic of “my side” and “what makes me comfortable”.  Stupid as shit and as unscientific as the flat earth and 6000 yr old earth.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Looking at my Facebook, it’s not nearly as stark, which is quite surprising. 

It's not.  That's the narrative folks have enjoyed creating, but I think that most folks around her have been talking about some balanced, measured approach with ample testing and contact tracing.  I'm trepidatious about Abbott's proposal, but part of that is just being nervous about EVERY measure we've taken.  The other is that I don't fully trust that we have the testing and tracing system in place.  But it's either time, or getting near the time, to start dialing back restrictions.  

I have some OTHER issues with the plan (I think that the mask requirement should continue for any time people are in a group setting at all - the store, etc.).  I think we're missing a lot of guidance on OTHER places of work (e.g., say that I don't run a restaurant or movie theater -- I run a large office with lots of clerical staff....what are those folks supposed to be doing?  And yes, I realize that many of them can and should make their own call, but guidance is really helpful).  What about travel?  Are we still going to restrict people coming from certain areas?  What about public meetings of gov't entities -- should the City of Austin just hold a regular city council meeting, with 100 people in the audience like before?

I'm trying really hard to be hopeful, and a lot of other folks are too.  We'd very much like to see society and the economy functioning at a significantly higher level than they are today.  But we also don't want to look up in 6 weeks and say "fuck, that was a mistake, and it's gonna kill another 60,000 people."

• Like 6

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

I’d say a lot of it is that the media is based in NYC. It has informed their opinion of how the rest of the country should proceed even if conditions are vastly different elsewhere. They obviously cater to a certain audience. 

we(meaning Texas) should have been opening back up 2 weeks ago.

• Like 5

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away