Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

6 minutes ago, Hate said:

You’ll just want another one in a few hours anyway.

Yeah okay, I really did laugh out loud and now my kids are asking, "what's so funny" and I can't even explain to them any single part of this joke without sounding like a crazed, cannibalistic, racist... so.... that's the way it was, in Corona2020.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Not to derail, but here goes....

This shit scares the hell out me.  These prions can live in the ground for a decade or more, and withstand temps into the hundreds if not thousands of degrees.  Now we are seeing CWD across the country (Chronic Wasting Disease) in deer populations.  It's 100% fatal and spread from the saliva of infected animals.  This shit jumps to people....it's truly game over.  

Yeah that shit scares the hell out of me.

52 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yep, I had seen overall numbers way down but if there's a lot less trains running and less capacity, what you have passenger wise will end up more concentrated so...that drop off won't really show when it comes to spread slowing down.  We need accurate antibody testing.  And a lot more of it.  Also tracing as well...all this should lead to us opening up faster/safer and who doesn't want that?

Overall numbers are down much more than the cut back in service. However, with the cutbacks, you will run in to the oddball cars that get packed. Maybe they should put a cap on passengers per car?  But I have no idea how that would be enforced. 

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Thinly veiled threat to the Aussies

Looks like The Aussies are in the game and China isn't happy.  

42 minutes ago, Hate said:

I don’t think there are many countries in a hurry to host a bunch of Chinese tourists.

39 minutes ago, utee94 said:

No shit.  Right now, that's about the least effective "threat" they could have possibly made.

3c9e7ee4177e3eae158c5b886696fac9--patch-

• Like 2

So this is interesting.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/27/study-of-twins-reveals-genetic-effect-on-covid-19-symptoms

Symptoms of Covid-19 appear to be partly down to genetic makeup, researchers at King’s College London have discovered.

The finding is based on data collected through the Covid-19 Symptom Tracker app, launched by the team last month.

While members of the public are encouraged to use the app to track how they feel day to day, the team also asked thousands of twins in the UK, who were already part of another research project, to use the app and record whether they had symptoms or not. The team employed machine-learning algorithms, together with data from the 2.7 million app users – many of whom have been tested for coronavirus – to work out the combination of symptoms that indicate an individual is likely to have Covid-19.

The team then focused on data from just over 2,600 twins to try to establish whether the symptoms experienced by those predicted to have Covid-19 was related to genetic makeup.

More specifically, the team found a substantial genetic influence for the symptoms of fever, diarrhoea, delirium, and losses of taste and smell. By contrast, a hoarse voice, a cough, skipped meals, chest pain, and abdominal pain were not linked to genetic makeup.

“This disease is very weird, the way it has a very different presentation in the population in different people – what we are showing is that isn’t random,” Spector said. “It is not mainly due to where you live or who you have seen; a lot of it is something innate about you.

“I think you can say that your likelihood of getting it at all, or getting it severely, is under some genetic control.”

The team hopes the findings will help scientists ascertain the mechanisms by which Covid-19 acts on the body, as well as offering a possible way to predict those most at risk from the disease.

“Understanding how symptoms of [the disease] Covid-19 pass through the population may indicate the pathogenic mechanisms of [the virus] Sars-CoV-2 infection, as well as offering utility in the allocation of scarce healthcare resources, particularly intensive care beds,” the team writes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

How is that possible?

I'm sure the process is convoluted as hell and I don't want to take time to dig into it.  BUT, maybe they took an existing piece of proposed legislation (that was much smaller and didn't have anything to do with a COVID response) and the author amended the shit out of it, so they weren't starting from scratch and filing a new bill?

Edited by Brisketexan

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

So this is interesting.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/27/study-of-twins-reveals-genetic-effect-on-covid-19-symptoms

Symptoms of Covid-19 appear to be partly down to genetic makeup, researchers at King’s College London have discovered.

The finding is based on data collected through the Covid-19 Symptom Tracker app, launched by the team last month.

While members of the public are encouraged to use the app to track how they feel day to day, the team also asked thousands of twins in the UK, who were already part of another research project, to use the app and record whether they had symptoms or not. The team employed machine-learning algorithms, together with data from the 2.7 million app users – many of whom have been tested for coronavirus – to work out the combination of symptoms that indicate an individual is likely to have Covid-19.

The team then focused on data from just over 2,600 twins to try to establish whether the symptoms experienced by those predicted to have Covid-19 was related to genetic makeup.

More specifically, the team found a substantial genetic influence for the symptoms of fever, diarrhoea, delirium, and losses of taste and smell. By contrast, a hoarse voice, a cough, skipped meals, chest pain, and abdominal pain were not linked to genetic makeup.

“This disease is very weird, the way it has a very different presentation in the population in different people – what we are showing is that isn’t random,” Spector said. “It is not mainly due to where you live or who you have seen; a lot of it is something innate about you.

“I think you can say that your likelihood of getting it at all, or getting it severely, is under some genetic control.”

The team hopes the findings will help scientists ascertain the mechanisms by which Covid-19 acts on the body, as well as offering a possible way to predict those most at risk from the disease.

“Understanding how symptoms of [the disease] Covid-19 pass through the population may indicate the pathogenic mechanisms of [the virus] Sars-CoV-2 infection, as well as offering utility in the allocation of scarce healthcare resources, particularly intensive care beds,” the team writes.

5 years from now - hospital:

Sir, can I please have your insurance card?

Sure, here you go.

Sir, according to your records you are COVID Type 2.  Therefore you cannot be in the primary hospital wing.  For you own safety, you must be placed in the wing for patients who have severe reactions to the virus.  That will be an additional $2,700 per day, 14-day minimum.

But I'm just here for an X-Ray!

Sorry, sir.  It's the law.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

I'm sure the process is convoluted as hell and I don't want to take time to dig into it.  BUT, maybe they took an existing piece of proposed legislation (that was much smaller and didn't have anything to do with a COVID response) and the author amended the shit out of it, so they weren't starting from scratch and filing a new bill?

That is the only thing that makes sense. I wonder what kind of stuff is hidden the that bill.

10 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

So this is interesting.

I will dig into this, but I'm curious if there is a "genetic" makeup component, or something related to lifestyle (ie. diabetes-type vetting).  Using the diabetes example - we all know genetics does factor in for a smaller population, but the vast majority is attributed to lifestyle choices that we have a large measure of control over.  Time will tell.  

Just now, HOOKEM4 said:

That is the only thing that makes sense. I wonder what kind of stuff is hidden the that bill.

Oh, no need to wonder.  The bigger the bill, the more shit buried in it.  It's usually equal parts pork (gifts to donors) and screw-ups (unintended consequences, drafting errors, etc.).

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm sure the process is convoluted as hell and I don't want to take time to dig into it.  BUT, maybe they took an existing piece of proposed legislation and the author amended the shit out of it, so they weren't starting from scratch and filing a new bill?

This is what the original bill addressed:

Introduced in House (01/24/2019)

Middle Class Health Benefits Tax Repeal Act of 2019

This bill repeals the excise tax on employer-sponsored health care coverage for which there is an excess benefit (high-cost plans). The repeal applies to taxable years beginning after December 31, 2019.

1 minute ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Remember when bills were smaller - specific responses to a specific agenda item and side-bar topics had to be addressed as separate items?  Yeah, me too....

• Like 1

For your AM livestock update, choice beef blew through the $300 barrier for the first time to 307.75, and select is just below $295, fresh pork moved above $80 for the first time since this got started with bellies leading but some pressure in ham and picnics. Tyson continues to fuck up at a variety of plants and that might be the biggest pinch point at the moment. 

• Like 4

Bleach, not just for assholes anymore!

The Guardian reports that Mark Grenon, leader of Florida's Genesis II Church of Health & Healing, which appears to be more of a moneymaking operation than a place of worship, wrote a letter to Trump earlier this week saying that chlorine dioxide, an industrial bleach, is a "wonderful detox" that can kill most pathogens in the body and cure people of COVID-19.

What the Guardian didn't catch, however, is that Grenon is already the subject of a federal probe. The U.S. Attorney's Office in Miami last week announced an investigation into Grenon and several others affiliated with Genesis II for selling Miracle Mineral Solution, also known as MMS. The group claims the bleach product will cure, treat, or prevent COVID-19 and other conditions, such as Alzheimer's, autism, brain cancer, HIV/AIDS, and multiple sclerosis.

An April 16 complaint from prosecutors, which names Grenon and three codefendants, says Genesis operates out of Bradenton and does business in South Florida. The codefendants — Joseph Grenon, Jordan Grenon, and Jonathan Grenon — are "bishops" of the church and are involved in MMS production operations, according to court documents.

The complaint claims the group is illegally distributing unapproved new drugs with misleading and false labeling and alleges the defendants' products don't contain adequate directions for use. (The website for Genesis' products explains "sacramental dosing" for COVID-19 and provides dosing instructions for adults and children.)

Additionally, prosecutors say, the men shipped MMS from Florida to Virginia in late March, conducting interstate commerce.

U.S. District Judge Kathleen M. Williams on April 17 granted a temporary injunction filed by the prosecution to halt Genesis' online sale of industrial bleach as a miracle cure.

"We will zealously pursue perpetrators of fraud schemes seeking to take advantage of the COVID-19 pandemic," Ariana Fajardo Orshan, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Florida, stated in a press release. "Not only are these products potentially harmful, but their distribution and use may prevent those who are sick from receiving the legitimate healthcare they need."

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued public warnings about MMS and similar products.

"If you're drinking 'Miracle' or 'Master' Mineral Solution or other sodium chlorite products, stop now," the FDA's website says.

The substance can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and symptoms of severe dehydration.

"Some product labels claim that vomiting and diarrhea are common after ingesting the product," the FDA says. "They even maintain that such reactions are evidence that the product is working. That claim is false."

On April 8, the FDA sent the four Grenons a letter warning them that what they were doing was illegal and needed to end. The letter demanded they reply by email within 48 hours and describe what steps they were taking to fix the violations.

Mark Grenon responded with anger.

"We can say cure, heal and treat as a Free church," a Genesis letter to the FDA says. "Don't need your approval or authorization for a Church Sacrament... There will be NO corrective actions on our part... You have no authority over us!... Never going to happen."

So if we do it right we can be the ONLY UT? 

Tennessee reported its highest one-day jump in coronavirus cases as the state prepares to reopen limited dine-in service at restaurants in some parts of the state. 

Tennessee’s health department reported 9,667 confirmed COVID-19 cases on Sunday. 

The updated total is a 478 jump in new cases, a 5.2 percent increase from Saturday’s total, and marks the highest single-day increase so far in the state, the Tennessean reports. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/494799-tennessee-has-highest-one-day-jump-in-coronavirus-cases-ahead-of#.XqcCjaAL6IQ.twitter

17 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

For your AM livestock update, choice beef blew through the $300 barrier for the first time to 307.75, and select is just below $295, fresh pork moved above $80 for the first time since this got started with bellies leading but some pressure in ham and picnics. Tyson continues to fuck up at a variety of plants and that might be the biggest pinch point at the moment. 

How do these prices roughly convert into prices for cuts of meat we would be familiar with? Ribeye, brisket, pork tenderloin, etc?  Is there any way to put this in context?  If I have to pay $9.99 a lb for a choice brisket it will be a good thing everyone is wearing masks because I may hold up an HEB. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

So if we do it right we can be the ONLY UT? 

Tennessee reported its highest one-day jump in coronavirus cases as the state prepares to reopen limited dine-in service at restaurants in some parts of the state. 

Tennessee’s health department reported 9,667 confirmed COVID-19 cases on Sunday. 

The updated total is a 478 jump in new cases, a 5.2 percent increase from Saturday’s total, and marks the highest single-day increase so far in the state, the Tennessean reports. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/494799-tennessee-has-highest-one-day-jump-in-coronavirus-cases-ahead-of#.XqcCjaAL6IQ.twitter

How many deaths were reported?

34 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Was my guess (hope really) but the couple clicks I made didn’t reveal any original intent or change, and this is making its way around certain segments of social media. 

6 minutes ago, stone oak said:

How many deaths were reported?

This is from the 26th. 

In Tennessee, a total of 9,667 people have tested positive for COVID-19, 181 people have died, 828 people have been hospitalized and 4,527 people have recovered from the virus, according to the Tennessee Department of Health.

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

How do these prices roughly convert into prices for cuts of meat we would be familiar with? Ribeye, brisket, pork tenderloin, etc?  Is there any way to put this in context?  If I have to pay $9.99 a lb for a choice brisket it will be a good thing everyone is wearing masks because I may hold up an HEB. 

https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/ams_2452.pdf The USDA breaks it up by the main cuts and the values are figured on 100lb basis on the link there. 

Same for pork https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/ams_2496.pdf

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/24/strokes-coronavirus-young-patients/

Young and middle-aged people, barely sick with covid-19, are dying of strokes

Doctors sound alarm about patients in their 30s and 40s left debilitated or dead. Some didn’t even know they were infected.

...The patient’s chart appeared unremarkable at first glance. He took no medications and had no history of chronic conditions. He had been feeling fine, hanging out at home during the lockdown like the rest of the country, when suddenly, he had trouble talking and moving the right side of his body. Imaging showed a large blockage on the left side of his head.

Oxley gasped when he got to the patient’s age and covid-19 status: 44, positive.

The man was among several recent stroke patients in their 30s to 40s who were all infected with the coronavirus. The median age for that type of severe stroke is 74.

As Oxley, an interventional neurologist, began the procedure to remove the clot, he observed something he had never seen before. On the monitors, the brain typically shows up as a tangle of black squiggles — “like a can of spaghetti,” he said — that provide a map of blood vessels. A clot shows up as a blank spot. As he used a needlelike device to pull out the clot, he saw new clots forming in real-time around it.

“This is crazy,” he remembers telling his boss.

Reports of strokes in the young and middle-aged — not just at Mount Sinai, but also in many other hospitals in communities hit hard by the novel coronavirus — are the latest twist in our evolving understanding of the disease it causes. The numbers of those affected are small but nonetheless remarkable because they challenge how doctors understand the virus. Even as it has infected nearly 2.8 million people worldwide and killed about 195,000 as of Friday, its biological mechanisms continue to elude top scientific minds. Once thought to be a pathogen that primarily attacks the lungs, it has turned out to be a much more formidable foe — impacting nearly every major organ system in the body...

...A stroke, which is a sudden interruption of the blood supply, is a complex problem with numerous causes and presentations. It can be caused by heart problems, clogged arteries due to cholesterol, even substance abuse. Mini-strokes often don’t cause permanent damage and can resolve on their own within 24 hours. But bigger ones can be catastrophic.

The analyses suggest coronavirus patients are mostly experiencing the deadliest type of stroke. Known as large vessel occlusions, or LVOs, they can obliterate large parts of the brain responsible for movement, speech and decision-making in one blow because they are in the main blood-supplying arteries.

Many researchers suspect strokes in covid-19 patients may be a direct consequence of blood problems that are producing clots all over some people’s bodies.

Clots that form on vessel walls fly upward. One that started in the calves might migrate to the lungs, causing a blockage called a pulmonary embolism that arrests breathing — a known cause of death in covid-19 patients. Clots in or near the heart might lead to a heart attack, another common cause of death. Anything above that would probably go to the brain, leading to a stroke....(snip, much more at the link.)

• Like 1

I'm sure these meat packing plant problems and infection rates have absolutely nothing to do with their infamous terrible work conditions and employee treatment that long ago resulted in them having to import foreign workers...

How much you wanna bet we'll later find out that they could have implemented many measures to reduce on the job infection risks but chose not to (wouldn't want to slightly slow down production from such introduced inefficiencies, safety be damned...)  Smithfield is owned by the Chinese and Tyson has long been corrupt as hell.  The spirit of Bo Pilgrim rolls on.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I will dig into this, but I'm curious if there is a "genetic" makeup component, or something related to lifestyle (ie. diabetes-type vetting).  Using the diabetes example - we all know genetics does factor in for a smaller population, but the vast majority is attributed to lifestyle choices that we have a large measure of control over.  Time will tell.  

The genetics angle makes a lot of sense (in light of the Ohio prison study where 95% of 3,000 inmates infected with the virus showed no symptoms). It doesn't necessarily rebut your point of view. The truth could be something like, x% of people are genetically predisposed to contracting the virus in such a way that it severely messes with their bodies. If you're not in this x%, you can be a fatty or an old or a diabetic. Your symptoms will be mild or non-existent. But if you are in the x%, then obesity and age and diabetes matter. A lot. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

I've heard the opposite.  But it's all second-hand obviously.  I forget the data Cuomo publicly declared the subways are safe and encouraged use.  Late February?  Reconciled with the fact that many think this virus has been circulating since Xmas if not earlier.  It begs the question about transmission, symptoms, and infection rate?  Especially since we know people are back to riding.  The antibody testing is going to be telling.

already covered, just catching up. But your other post had the pressure on the Aussies by China, so wanted to also add Fuck china.

Edited by achooloco
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

31 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/24/strokes-coronavirus-young-patients/

Young and middle-aged people, barely sick with covid-19, are dying of strokes

Doctors sound alarm about patients in their 30s and 40s left debilitated or dead. Some didn’t even know they were infected.

...The patient’s chart appeared unremarkable at first glance. He took no medications and had no history of chronic conditions. He had been feeling fine, hanging out at home during the lockdown like the rest of the country, when suddenly, he had trouble talking and moving the right side of his body. Imaging showed a large blockage on the left side of his head.

Oxley gasped when he got to the patient’s age and covid-19 status: 44, positive.

The man was among several recent stroke patients in their 30s to 40s who were all infected with the coronavirus. The median age for that type of severe stroke is 74.

As Oxley, an interventional neurologist, began the procedure to remove the clot, he observed something he had never seen before. On the monitors, the brain typically shows up as a tangle of black squiggles — “like a can of spaghetti,” he said — that provide a map of blood vessels. A clot shows up as a blank spot. As he used a needlelike device to pull out the clot, he saw new clots forming in real-time around it.

“This is crazy,” he remembers telling his boss.

Reports of strokes in the young and middle-aged — not just at Mount Sinai, but also in many other hospitals in communities hit hard by the novel coronavirus — are the latest twist in our evolving understanding of the disease it causes. The numbers of those affected are small but nonetheless remarkable because they challenge how doctors understand the virus. Even as it has infected nearly 2.8 million people worldwide and killed about 195,000 as of Friday, its biological mechanisms continue to elude top scientific minds. Once thought to be a pathogen that primarily attacks the lungs, it has turned out to be a much more formidable foe — impacting nearly every major organ system in the body...

...A stroke, which is a sudden interruption of the blood supply, is a complex problem with numerous causes and presentations. It can be caused by heart problems, clogged arteries due to cholesterol, even substance abuse. Mini-strokes often don’t cause permanent damage and can resolve on their own within 24 hours. But bigger ones can be catastrophic.

The analyses suggest coronavirus patients are mostly experiencing the deadliest type of stroke. Known as large vessel occlusions, or LVOs, they can obliterate large parts of the brain responsible for movement, speech and decision-making in one blow because they are in the main blood-supplying arteries.

Many researchers suspect strokes in covid-19 patients may be a direct consequence of blood problems that are producing clots all over some people’s bodies.

Clots that form on vessel walls fly upward. One that started in the calves might migrate to the lungs, causing a blockage called a pulmonary embolism that arrests breathing — a known cause of death in covid-19 patients. Clots in or near the heart might lead to a heart attack, another common cause of death. Anything above that would probably go to the brain, leading to a stroke....(snip, much more at the link.)

It's usually right after I read something like this that I wonder why people want to dismiss the origin debate to focus on what the US has done wrong.  

2 minutes ago, jinx said:

It's usually right after I read something like this that I wonder why people want to dismiss the origin debate to focus on what the US has done wrong.  

First.....????

Second....because one of those things we can still change?  We can't change how the virus arose, or how it got out of China....but we CAN change how it is managed here.  Rational discussion of problems should probably be focused on the immediate-term problems that can actually be solved, don't you think?  I mean, when a patient shows up with a dangerously high fever, I don't think the sound treatment plan would be for the doctors to spend their time discussing how the virus probably came from Timbuktu, and how the patient probably was stupid and exposed himself by hanging out in a crowd.....the better plan is probably getting the fever under control and saving the patient.  Then, we can learn things from the patient, and maybe not repeat mistakes -- his and ours -- in the future.  But being that we're still in the acute phase, it's pretty reasonable that discussion is focused on the metaphorical "treatment."

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Fonden had a better explanation on the cloak thread but while ridership is down, the MTA also put the entire system on the wknd schedule so there are a lot less cars/trains per day as well. So that means you still end up with crowded trains b/c thats the only way people can really get around. And it's what i'm seeing everyday as i walk by the stations, granted not during "rush hour" but still compared to normal people are hardly "back to riding". Not even close.

That was essentially my point.  Using percentages as an aggregate ("X"% reduction in occupancy or usage) obfuscates a bottleneck created by the city by forcing people into choke-points where they have option but close proximity.  VS. leaving them (subways) open may have actually reduced the proximity issue by allowing a disbursing of riders over more available station times.  I'm also struggling with the causation-nature of distancing.  If the reports are true that this has been circulating for month earlier than predicted.  What has the net positive impact really been?  A lot?  A little?  If the antibody tests come back and huge swaths of the population have them, then we know that this entire endeavor has basically been pointless?  Again, time will tell.  

UPDATE:  

NPR article today indicating that Sweden is at 30% of their population with some level of immunity and predicts "herd" level immunity as soon as May.  If true, this is huge considering the bashing their economy did not take relative the total number of cases

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

First.....????

Second....because one of those things we can still change?  We can't change how the virus arose, or how it got out of China....but we CAN change how it is managed here.  Rational discussion of problems should probably be focused on the immediate-term problems that can actually be solved, don't you think?  I mean, when a patient shows up with a dangerously high fever, I don't think the sound treatment plan would be for the doctors to spend their time discussing how the virus probably came from Timbuktu, and how the patient probably was stupid and exposed himself by hanging out in a crowd.....the better plan is probably getting the fever under control and saving the patient.  Then, we can learn things from the patient, and maybe not repeat mistakes -- his and ours -- in the future.  But being that we're still in the acute phase, it's pretty reasonable that discussion is focused on the metaphorical "treatment."

Are you saying this isn't being done?  Are there instances out there with patients being turned away?  Nor are these mutually exclusive.  We can do all the above equally well.  As has been the SOP for virtually every new outbreak.  

Edited by BabaYaga

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away