Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

True but after the initial outbreak in early March, NYC’s public transit system has barely been used.  

I think the cake was baked at that point (again, partially due to the mass transit). They had a fuck ton of people testing positive as soon as they started. I think they climbed to over 50% positives on tests administered (the avg has come down to 35%, a good thing.  Here in Texas, we are under 10% and have been all along. So when we go to the grocery store, yes we are social distancing, but there are also less carriers making it less likely someone is going to take it home with them. In NYC, a person in the same situation making a SiP grocery store run is still going to be around a lot more infected people. 

Also, the subway system has never been shutdown. Ridiership numbers show to be WAY down now, but as of 3/23 (most recent point I could find) they still had over 1 million per day. That still blows away the daily ridership of most places (and kind of amazing how important/used the subway is there). Also, I’ve read that they’ve cut services at least 25%. So there are less people riding l, and I’m sure most are very empty, but with less cars you’ll end up with some that get packed like that picture above. 

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Like 3

Just now, dcbc said:

COVID19 numbers drop dramatically now that South Austin's Mom is required to stay home.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/25/std-cases-plummet-amid-coronavirus-pandemic/?__twitter_impression=true&utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

/my first S.Austin's mom joke.

Its Sunday. Everyone needs a break, even those saving lives and counting the dead. Bloody Tuesday is coming. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, RayDog said:

I have wondered if there might be some immunity in the Philippines, Indonesia and nearby countries where the disease has not caused the expected number of deaths.  Lack of testing is certainly a big reason why the number of cases is low. I wonder if other coronaviruses have circulated in this part of the world perhaps related to eating bats.

So we need to look at STDs and their relationship to immunity from CV19.   Good news for South Austins mom and about 95% of surly!  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/26/business/tyson-foods-nyt-ad/index.html

Tyson Foods (TSN) is warning that "millions of pounds of meat" will disappear from the supply chain as the coronavirus pandemic pushes food processing plants to close, leading to product shortages in grocery stores across the country.

"The food supply chain is breaking," wrote board chairman John Tyson in a full-page advertisement published Sunday in The New York Times, Washington Post and Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.

US farmers don't have anywhere to sell their livestock, he said, adding that "millions of animals — chickens, pigs and cattle — will be depopulated because of the closure of our processing facilities."

"There will be limited supply of our products available in grocery stores until we are able to reopen our facilities that are currently closed," Tyson wrote.

Don't like the way this trending. 

11 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

I think mass transit has a lot to do with it as well (or in addition to population density). 

NYC has over 5 million people cram on the subway each day

Houston only has over 6 million per month across all transit forms 

Dallas appears to be about the same as Houston

Paris, which is closer to NYC than Dallas or Houston in terms mass transit, has a per capita case and death rate similar to NYC  

(https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2020/03/23/the-subway-ridership-collapse-in-three-charts/)

https://www.ridemetro.org/Pages/RidershipReport-092019.aspx

https://www.dart.org/about/dartfacts.asp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/europe/france-coronavirus-cases.amp.html

India should be getting decimated, right?

9 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

I am not nor have a I ever been interested in health, but my thoroughly uneducated opinion is that ALL Texans should get outside to bake off the 'Rona.

A good 60 days of 100+ degree weather is just what we need. 

Tell that to Guayaquil. 

• Like 1

West Texas is getting hammered.   Over the weekend there were 200 more diagnosed cases in/near Amarillo.  Moore County, population of about 20,000 went from 180 cases Friday to 250+.   Potter County had 105 more cases; 326 today (and this is really as of yesterday) Vs. 221 Friday.

The counties around Amarillo have a combined population similar to Galveston or Brazoria Counties and 200-300 more cases.  Deaths out there are also outpacing both of those counties as well.

Remember that feed lot in Hereford that I mentioned weeks ago as a worrisome thing?  It's not just the packing plants closing, it's getting the animals from thd feed lots and transport hubs.  Welcome to shortages.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

West Texas is getting hammered.   Over the weekend there were 200 more diagnosed cases in/near Amarillo.  Moore County, population of about 20,000 went from 180 cases Friday to 250+.   Potter County had 105 more cases; 326 today (and this is really as of yesterday) Vs. 221 Friday.

The counties around Amarillo have a combined population similar to Galveston or Brazoria Counties and 200-300 more cases.  Deaths out there are also outpacing both of those counties as well.

Remember that feed lot in Hereford that I mentioned weeks ago as a worrisome thing?  It's not just the packing plants closing, it's getting the animals from thd feed lots and transport hubs.  Welcome to shortages.

Counterpoint:

Potter County: 6 deaths

Moore County: 3 deaths

https://www.coronavirusintexas.org/

• Like 2

This thread has lost its lovin feelin for me.  I miss all the graphs and charts and numbers, and the wild speculation on cures.  What is the trend for left-handed white men over 6 feet tall who sleep on their sides?   Are hot italian women less likely to get ill than their troll counterparts? Do I need to guzzle elderberries or avoid them? Should I smoke menthols or meth?  What random Chinese unpronounceable herb should I take with my hydroxychlorowhatever?

• Like 5

This thread has lost its lovin feelin for me.  I miss all the graphs and charts and numbers, and the wild speculation on cures.  What is the trend for left-handed white men over 6 feet tall who sleep on their sides?   Are hot italian women less likely to get ill than their troll counterparts? Do I need to guzzle elderberries or avoid them? Should I smoke menthols or meth?  What random Chinese unpronounceable herb should I take with my hydroxychlorowhatever?

It was all ruled political. Mods out front should have told you.

15 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Thread fatigue.

33 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Disproportionally a lot of olds.  Maybe the tests just got here on the Pony Express...

The feedlots aren't risk for the animals, but rather their work force.  You trying to rekindle mad-cow disease or some shit?

Edited by Iceman

14 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

True but after the initial outbreak in early March, NYC’s public transit system has barely been used.  

I've heard the opposite.  But it's all second-hand obviously.  I forget the data Cuomo publicly declared the subways are safe and encouraged use.  Late February?  Reconciled with the fact that many think this virus has been circulating since Xmas if not earlier.  It begs the question about transmission, symptoms, and infection rate?  Especially since we know people are back to riding.  The antibody testing is going to be telling.

7 minutes ago, Iceman said:

You trying to rekindle mad-cow disease or some shit?

Not to derail, but here goes....

This shit scares the hell out me.  These prions can live in the ground for a decade or more, and withstand temps into the hundreds if not thousands of degrees.  Now we are seeing CWD across the country (Chronic Wasting Disease) in deer populations.  It's 100% fatal and spread from the saliva of infected animals.  This shit jumps to people....it's truly game over.  

• Like 1

Thinly veiled threat to the Aussies

Looks like The Aussies are in the game and China isn't happy.  

Australia has joined the United States in calling for a thorough investigation of how the virus transformed from a localised epidemic in central China into a pandemic that has killed more than 200,000 people, forced billions into isolation and torpedoed the global economy.
In a thinly veiled threat, ambassador Cheng Jingye warned the push for an independent inquest into the origins of the outbreak was "dangerous".
"The Chinese public is frustrated, dismayed and disappointed with what Australia is doing now," he claimed in an interview with the Australian Financial Review published on Sunday.
"If the mood is going from bad to worse, people would think 'why should we go to such a country that is not so friendly to China?' The tourists may have second thoughts," he added.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I've heard the opposite.  But it's all second-hand obviously.  I forget the data Cuomo publicly declared the subways are safe and encouraged use.  Late February?  Reconciled with the fact that many think this virus has been circulating since Xmas if not earlier.  It begs the question about transmission, symptoms, and infection rate?  Especially since we know people are back to riding.  The antibody testing is going to be telling.

Yep, I had seen overall numbers way down but if there's a lot less trains running and less capacity, what you have passenger wise will end up more concentrated so...that drop off won't really show when it comes to spread slowing down.  We need accurate antibody testing.  And a lot more of it.  Also tracing as well...all this should lead to us opening up faster/safer and who doesn't want that?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Don't forget the oiled up cotton ball in your butt!

Thinly veiled threat to the Aussies
Looks like The Aussies are in the game and China isn't happy.  
Australia has joined the United States in calling for a thorough investigation of how the virus transformed from a localised epidemic in central China into a pandemic that has killed more than 200,000 people, forced billions into isolation and torpedoed the global economy.
In a thinly veiled threat, ambassador Cheng Jingye warned the push for an independent inquest into the origins of the outbreak was "dangerous".
"The Chinese public is frustrated, dismayed and disappointed with what Australia is doing now," he claimed in an interview with the Australian Financial Review published on Sunday.
"If the mood is going from bad to worse, people would think 'why should we go to such a country that is not so friendly to China?' The tourists may have second thoughts," he added.

I don’t think there are many countries in a hurry to host a bunch of Chinese tourists.
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yep, I had seen overall numbers way down but if there's a lot less trains running and less capacity, what you have passenger wise will end up more concentrated so...that drop off won't really show when it comes to spread slowing down.  We need accurate antibody testing.  And a lot more of it.  Also tracing as well...all this should lead to us opening up faster/safer and who doesn't want that?

Begging the obvious question with so many packed into fewer rail cars, the efficacy of such a plan?  They created a bottleneck and people flooded into it?  Yet incident rates are dropping?

58 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Now that we figured out that Lysol kills it if you ingest it, and we all have Lysol...

Ball. Game.

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away