Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

True. I watched our city go just go from having restaurants to being called a  foodie town, and always wondering what happens when the economy takes a down turn.

Indeed.  The inevitable outcome of the foodie culture, come home to roost. I dream of the day when, once more, I can simply go to a restaurant again, instead of investing in a curated culinary experience.

Just now, utee94 said:

Indeed.  The inevitable outcome of the foodie culture, come home to roost. I dream of the day when, once more, I can simply go to a restaurant again, instead of investing in a curated culinary experience.

Well...... let's not get toooooo hasty here.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Antibodies will confer protection. However, it may be a matter of which antibodies are effective. Scientists feel that antibodies against the helicase and the spike protein of the virus are particularly good targets. Remember, something in the human immune system is able to rid the body of coronavirus. Scientists are looking for that "something" and use it for treatment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Meanwhile in the last 28 days in NYC

Murder is up 55% 28 vs 18 for the same period last year  

Link? Not being a dick but the only googlefu I came up with had info for 3/12-3/31 and it said it dropped from 16 to 12. People definitely could be killing at home or on the way to the grocery store but on my phone and can’t find the right site. Regardless, 28 or 18 seems hella low which is good for everyone. 

7 hours ago, Loco said:

If you are interested in testing of the antibody tests...  From the NY times

Over the hangover, can try to use my brain again here...

I was tested for antibodies twice...a second time by a group such as these trying to verify testing.  It was still positive.  I think the WHO saying we don't know we can't get this again is due to the incomplete info.  The reason people are 'getting it again' is likely due to shoddy testing on the first positive test.  There really isn't any study showing you're still susceptible if you have antibodies - but it's likely too early to go around and give 'immunity cards' with the large amount of shitty testing out there...

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Anyone else think WHO is like FIFA?

Ha, FIFA is totally corrupt...WHO has definitely botched some shit, but I can't say it's corruption - of course, I can't really say it's not corruption either.  They need to get their shit together, let's just say that. 

From my friend Ahmed (Thoracic Surgeon) who is on the front line in Canada:

Alhamdullilah (or thanks and praise to God). We say that when things are “good” or “bad” and anytime we’re asked how we’re doing. Currently all is good. Things less stressful here than other parts of the world thank God. Still we take precautions and wash like an OCD. But hopefully safer than most. I don’t see this letting up. Worried about the exit strategy for this. I mean, if the recovered AREN’t Immune, (and there’s talk that they’re then we are really screwed here. As for vaccines, a proper one takes years. They’ve started Human testing apparently but that like hearing someone invented the wheel yesterday, but today is testing a jet engine. I can’t understand how that’s happening so quickly.

EDIT- this is the same buddy that said things should be ok a month ago....and especially in the US as we have the best scientists.

Edited by Tailgate

1 hour ago, Tailgate said:

Alhamdullilah (or thanks and praise to God). We say that when things are “good” or “bad” and anytime we’re asked how we’re doing. Currently all is good. Things less stressful here than other parts of the world thank God. Still we take precautions and wash like an OCD. But hopefully safer than most. I don’t see this letting up. Worried about the exit strategy for this. I mean, if the recovered AREN’t Immune, (and there’s talk that they’re then we are really screwed here. As for vaccines, a proper one takes years. They’ve started Human testing apparently but that like hearing someone invented the wheel yesterday, but today is testing a jet engine. I can’t understand how that’s happening so quickly.

EDIT- this is the same buddy that said things should be ok a month ago....and especially in the US as we have the best scientists.

If I got a message like that from a friend I would direct anything else sent to me into my spam folder.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I was tested for antibodies twice...a second time by a group such as these trying to verify testing.  It was still positive.  I think the WHO saying we don't know we can't get this again is due to the incomplete info.  The reason people are 'getting it again' is likely due to shoddy testing on the first positive test.  There really isn't any study showing you're still susceptible if you have antibodies - but it's likely too early to go around and give 'immunity cards' with the large amount of shitty testing out there...

Sorry I went off on you the other night. We don’t agree on a lot of things but I’m willing to look past that even though you are an inbred idoit sooner. Be safe man. As soon as I get the numbers from the doc in San Antonio’s I’ll post them. They will be interesting by themselves but especially interesting because he is double checking positive antibody tests against PCR. If we had more people like him and you we’d be in a lot better shape.

Can’t find confirmation if true in NY

https://nypost.com/2020/04/25/new-york-lacked-common-sense-in-nursing-homes-coronavirus-approach/

In plain English, nursing homes cannot even ask whether a patient coming from a hospital has been tested for the virus or is positive. Unless the referring hospital volunteers that information, nursing homes must wait until the patient arrives and do their own tests.

In fact, several executives said that the day after the order was issued, hospitals immediately called with infected patients and, referring to the order, said you cannot reject them, you must take them.

The disease has claimed more than 3,500 souls in nursing and rehab centers, or nearly 25 percent of the total known deaths in the state. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

7 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Hopefully his surgery is better than his writing 

11 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

So...antibodies in trees?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

I thought they banned wet labs?

Interesting.  They call it a novel virus, but you would think some of your existing antibodies might be able to ward it off a bit.  May explain why some people are asymptomatic.

19 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Interesting.  They call it a novel virus, but you would think some of your existing antibodies might be able to ward it off a bit.  May explain why some people are asymptomatic.

Not just some. A very large percentage. That post earlier in the prison environment showed 96%. And you gotta figure that’s about as bad of a scenario in close quarters as you’re gonna get.

• Like 2

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

Que te pasa hermano? 

I want to love soccer. I've been to games with good players, and I can tell they are great at what they do. Individual acts of athleticism astound me. But I don't get the religion, the spirit does not take hold of me. I have fallen short of the Kingdom of Soccer.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, utee94 said:

Don't worry man, I'm sure Chili's will still be there when restaurants open. Can get your fill of baby back ribs and Bud Light Lime.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/26/2020 at 12:19 PM, Liquor and Poker said:

Applebees is also bringing back half-priced apps.  

Just bring in a valid Covid 19 cause of death,  death certificate of a loved one.

EDIT:  Damn glad I'm not gonna be alone in Hell.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I want to love soccer. I've been to games with good players, and I can tell they are great at what they do. Individual acts of athleticism astound me. But I don't get the religion, the spirit does not take hold of me. I have fallen short of the Kingdom of Soccer.

This opinion disappoints me...

source.gif

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

“Almost persuaded,” harvest is past!
“Almost persuaded,” doom comes at last!
“Almost” cannot avail;
“Almost” is but to fail!
Sad, sad, that bitter wail -- 

latest?cb=20190611055839

"Almost,” but lost!

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Backlash in Georgia didn’t stop some businesses from reopening. Things were noticeably busier yesterday. I met a friend at another friend’s bar (he had something to return to me) and we stayed outside and had a drink 6’ apart. It was a touch of normalcy that was nice.

Some of the biggest pain lies in the fact that we’re having about the nicest spring I can recall and we can’t enjoy it to its fullest.

4 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I ain't gonna lie: I would love to mindlessly amble into an Applebee's, order a bunch of heart attack appetizers, drink some weird-ass oversized draft mug, and peruse entrees that would feed a normal family for a week. And I'd let Tiphanae upsell me some diabetes pie.

With a scoop of ice cream on it. Why the hell not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Some of the biggest pain lies in the fact that we’re having about the nicest spring I can recall and we can’t enjoy it to its fullest.

I've actually felt like I've really enjoyed it in a more mindful way than usual.  Lot's more time with the dog on long walks, lots more time in the garden. Yes, the beer garden is good, but I've really stopped and NOTICED the weather this spring.

• Like 5

Backlash in Georgia didn’t stop some businesses from reopening. Things were noticeably busier yesterday. I met a friend at another friend’s bar (he had something to return to me) and we stayed outside and had a drink 6’ apart. It was a touch of normalcy that was nice.

Gonna be real interesting to see what Georgia looks like in the upcoming days. Really hope it pans out
  • Like 1

“I don’t trust a sport where nobody falls on a live ball.” -Dan Jenkins
  • Like 4

I've actually felt like I've really enjoyed it in a more mindful way than usual.  Lot's more time with the dog on long walks, lots more time in the garden. Yes, the beer garden is good, but I've really stopped and NOTICED the weather this spring.

There’s been some amount of that for sure. I’m noticing our wildlife more. We have a huge owl that we hear in the evenings and I got to see it swoop down and catch something the other day. Deer and coyotes have been active too.

But it sucks that our neighborhood is packed with kids that are all friends and they can’t play together outside.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Can’t find confirmation if true in NY

https://nypost.com/2020/04/25/new-york-lacked-common-sense-in-nursing-homes-coronavirus-approach/

In plain English, nursing homes cannot even ask whether a patient coming from a hospital has been tested for the virus or is positive. Unless the referring hospital volunteers that information, nursing homes must wait until the patient arrives and do their own tests.

In fact, several executives said that the day after the order was issued, hospitals immediately called with infected patients and, referring to the order, said you cannot reject them, you must take them.

The disease has claimed more than 3,500 souls in nursing and rehab centers, or nearly 25 percent of the total known deaths in the state. 

Shit is incredibly bad in nursing homes.  Several states are giving info on how to fill out death certs now.  Basically dozens of patients here in Chicago have died of C19 but they just had viral pneumonia listed.  Their roommate could test positive and still be alive but the dead guy still wasn't getting a C19 diagnosis.  That's why I've maintained the numbers are underreported by a lot - unlike the conspiracy nutters who think the entire medical community is organizing to put more C19 on death certs.

Hospitals and your average family practice group along with most specialties are getting ass raped during this plague yet the nutters think we want to play up C19 even more.  Fucking idiots will always believe what they want...

• Like 4

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away