Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

can you imagine a happy hour with those regulars? you'd have to bring a gun to blow your brains out to leave on a good note.

There is not a more miserable bunch of people than those who frequent the cloak room daily. My guess is that their daily lives are not much better.  I really feel sorry for those that have families that have to listen to the daily bitching.  What a fucking beating it must be. 

Edited by EuroHorn
  • Like 9
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

That's not what they said. Scientists tend to be very careful and parse their words.

Is not transmissible =/= No clear evidence of transmission

even the WHO isn't trying to walk that back.  They parroted a lie from China.  they are keeping their heads down, rightly so.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

South Korea might be saying, "fuck China," but they are also proving to be an example of how to effectively reduce infections and death.

Yep. With one of the sixth of the population, 1% of the land while on a peninsula and a communist country to the north blocking all entrances by land.

The only way I believe we have even a shot of reducing death and infections is a December lockdown...and that was when nobody here knew what covid 19 was and a month before this thread was made.
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Yes, really.  Help me understand why the way the Schengen zone is set up was somehow more susceptible to this issue compared to US states.  

you don't want to know.  You want the CR>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> over there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iceman said:

So no real answer, cool, cool.  I didnt raise the Schengen zone, another poster did.  I was asking how that is somehow a liability compared to the US.  We regularly compare Euro countries to US states wrt populations, density, movement, etc.  The US has open borders between states just like EU countries have open borders between themselves.  If anything, the EU has more ability to confront a situation like this.  

A Schengen member state is permitted to reinstate border controls with another Schengen member state for a short period where there is a serious threat to that state's "public policy or internal security" or when the "control of an external border is no longer ensured due to exceptional circumstances".[131] When such risks arise out of foreseeable events, the state in question must notify the European Commission in advance and consult with other Schengen states.[132]

The introduction of temporary controls at internal borders is a prerogative of the member states. Although the European Commission may issue an opinion about the necessity and proportionality of introducing temporary controls at internal borders, it cannot veto or override such a decision if it is taken by a member state.[133]

I dont think US states can close their borders to another state.  

55 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Wow, did you ever miss the point.

Ironic that a burn it down guy, who is skeptical of government in general and particularly skeptical about the good we can do overseas,  and confirms that skepticism by cheering for the fall of the norms and institutions that support our own effectiveness, should ALSO imagine that we can somehow do away with a very specific set of  conditions in one location on the other side of the world, but not prepare for the inevitable domestically.

We can and should do both, pressure China to remove a common source of pandemics and prepare domestically by among many other things, removing the bureaucratic barriers that prevent agility when responding.  For someone who thinks I am missing the point, you are curiously incapable of making one without having a strawman to rely on.

Internationally applied pressure on China to address the practices that have resulted in two pandemics is glaring common sense. Which you usually don't struggle this badly with. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

So no real answer, cool, cool.  I didnt raise the Schengen zone, another poster did.  I was asking how that is somehow a liability compared to the US.  We regularly compare Euro countries to US states wrt populations, density, movement, etc.  The US has open borders between states just like EU countries have open borders between themselves.  If anything, the EU has more ability to confront a situation like this.  

The question is asked because people want to play like a country's sovereignty is like that of a US state, which basically doesn't exist.

Then we play coy and try to act like it wasn't a political question, and there we go.

Again, we have a forum for that discussion....in CR

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

Livestock runs were steady to end the week with about 40% of capacity likely to run tomorrow. Will probably start seeing thinner meat cases the next couple of week but if we can get more capacity back next week it should remain ok for most areas, as well as making up some on carcass weights as we back things up. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Bingo. Hard borders and reducing visa-free travel travel to the United States are key. Your country wants to keep wet markets open then your citizens need to have a clean test 14 days in advance of traveling here. Borderless travel in the Schengen Eurozone. What a liability that is. This is hopefully the beginning of the end of globalization and those that think of themselves as "global citizens" are made to look like the fools they are.

So not political?

55 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Please explain to me how travel between Schengen zone countries is any different than travel between states in the US?   

But this is political

28 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Yes, really.  Help me understand why the way the Schengen zone is set up was somehow more susceptible to this issue compared to US states.  

Also somehow political?

24 minutes ago, Iceman said:

15 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Again, somehow political?

11 minutes ago, Iceman said:

The question is asked because people want to play like a country's sovereignty is like that of a US state, which basically doesn't exist.

Then we play coy and try to act like it wasn't a political question, and there we go.

Again, we have a forum for that discussion....in CR

If you dont have an answer, just shut the fuck up.  Just because a question is hard doesn't mean its political.  I didn't remotely raise any political issues, especially compared to the OP.  He said travel between Schengen zone countries is a liability.  Im asking him why.  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

So not political?

But this is political

Also somehow political?

Again, somehow political?

If you dont have an answer, just shut the fuck up.  Just because a question is hard doesn't mean its political.  I didn't remotely raise any political issues, especially compared to the OP.  He said travel between Schengen zone countries is a liability.  Im asking him why.  

There wasn't anything political in those posts. 

11 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

Livestock runs were steady to end the week with about 40% of capacity likely to run tomorrow. Will probably start seeing thinner meat cases the next couple of week but if we can get more capacity back next week it should remain ok for most areas, as well as making up some on carcass weights as we back things up. 

Let's do this..

793f14546d84220b31fb083d2c497590.jpg

47 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

South Korea might be saying, "fuck China," but they are also proving to be an example of how to effectively reduce infections and death.

Here’s what I’ve learned today from both sides of a fence we’re not supposed to have on this thread:

One, the virus was created due to actions which should have been halted following the creation of other viruses. Fuck China

Two, there’s nothing which can be done to stop the spread of this virus, only slow it down. One could conclude South Korea won’t reduce infections or deaths, only prolong the process, and the US may be better off in the long term by taking a less restrictive approach, getting it over with without overwhelming our medical capabilities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GabrielsHorn said:

The Daily for a few months now (and Freakonomics from Wednesday) both are pointing out that China is doing a huge propaganda push across the world, but particularly in their own boarders, due to this. They are really trying to downplay their role in this from multiple levels of them fucking up, and it really needs to not be ignored how bad they handled this in the future. Just like the SARS pandemic led to a loss in faith in their government, this damn well better do a similar thing. While the US and others really dropped the ball on how this was handled and need to consider multiple things in the future, this is surely going to have huge geopolitical ramifications for China in the world... it's just a question of how successful China is at pushing their propaganda and using their own economic tools in SE Asia and Africa. 

Wife is friends with a family from China from our kids' school.  The parents are actually stuck over there but the wife (or someone pretending to be her) is still able to communicate via facebook messenger.  Says that all they hear is that the US made and spreed the virus and there are hundreds of thousands of bodies in trees here. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Here’s what I’ve learned today from both sides of a fence we’re not supposed to have on this thread:

One, the virus was created due to actions which should have been halted following the creation of other viruses. Fuck China

Two, there’s nothing which can be done to stop the spread of this virus, only slow it down. One could conclude South Korea won’t reduce infections or deaths, only prolong the process, and the US may be better off in the long term by taking a less restrictive approach, getting it over with without overwhelming our medical capabilities.

Not sure how you get the latter.  South Korea can certainly reduce infections and deaths due to COVID, and they already have done so.  Everyone is buying time until we have an effective vaccine.  Different approaches are raising or lowering deaths until we get to that point.  Now, if we don't get an effective vaccine, youre right, but we also have much bigger issues to worry about.  

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

If we're going actually apply a standard of "no politics" in this thread, how about leaving ALL the blame game in the CR? There is, after all, a "Fuck China" thread over there as that is undoubtedly also a political statement. Leave this thread for just for the current ongoing events discussion.

I'd also add that conspiracy theory stuff should probably all go over there too since folks who buy into that shit are alluding to some political force that might be behind whatever is being alleged, such as cooking the books on numbers.

Nope all those topics can be discussed with out politics invading them.

What conspiracy stuff is being discussed here ?  The generally accepted possibility that the initial infection was shoddy protocol at an immunological lab studying strains of coronavirus or wet markets were to blame......AGAIN.  No mutated, world domination plans have been been discussed with any seriousness.  

Fuck China because they have released the last 3-4  major world viruses, and fuck China for lying about this one, and fuck them for letting their citizens leave the country when they knew what the virus was.   Political ??  Hardly.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Not sure how you get the latter.  South Korea can certainly  (slowing the spread of) infections and deaths due to COVID, and they already have done so.  Everyone is buying time until we have an effective vaccine.  Different approaches are raising or lowering deaths until we get to that point.  Now, if we don't get an effective vaccine, youre right, but we also have much bigger issues to worry about.  

I don’t think their methods are sustainable, unless they plan to cut themselves off from the rest of the world for the next year and let their economy continue to crumble.

One more livestock note the monthly cattle on feed report had the lightest placements of feeders on record showing the backing up in that part of the chain even as well pulled fats forward last month. That placement number will likely only last one month which will leave a hole in ready cattle this fall in all likelyhood. Same thing is happening in hogs but we don't get another report on them until June. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I don’t think their methods are sustainable, unless they plan to cut themselves off from the rest of the world for the next year and let their economy continue to crumble.

Uh.

Unlike Italy, China, the UK and parts of the US, there was no lockdown in South Korea. It did, however, close its schools. There have been postponed attempts at reopening them, but reopen they must, according to Foreign Minister Kang.

“We aim to open our schools on 6 April – the right to an education is a crucial part of our social values. We’ve postponed school openings twice, now we’re saying we can’t deprive our children of their right to learn. That means we have to do everything in the next two weeks to maintain the spread at a manageable level.”

Despite that optimistic and determined message, she also sounds a note of caution. Beating the outbreak does not mean the coronavirus no longer poses a threat, she says.

“Even with schools opening, we realize it’s not going to be normal like things were before the coronavirus. Normal after the virus is going to look very different. This will be with us for a long time. So we all need to find a way to manage it at a status quo level.”

Their methods are largely prolific PPE use, and testing and tracing. They didn’t shut their country down the way we did. They are straddled with the same global economy burden that everyone is, but I think they are in much better shape than most of the world when it comes to their internal economy because they have the virus largely contained.

• Like 2

Number one rule of the safe space is do not question the safe space.

29 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Do you and brisket not get what "no politics" means. Serious question.

We do.

Definition of politics

1a: the art or science of government
b: the art or science concerned with guiding or influencing governmental policy

So, I mean, discussions of government policies - both actual and suggested -- sure fall squarely within that definition.  Discussions of geopolitics (I mean, the word is actually within the word) fall right in there..

But we're not dense; we also understand that on this thread, the definition is totally different:

Definition of politics

1a: any statement remotely critical of the executive branch of the United States government

So long as it's not that, then it's not "politics" here.  Have all the conversations you want about whatever you want.  Just stop pretending that there's any logical consistency to the "standard" y'all shout from the mountaintops.  This is your safe space.  Own it.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Nope all those topics can be discussed with out  politics invading  them

Do you mean partisanship or politics? Because ANY discussion about policy is inherently political. If we can play the blame game with China (which they deserve) and talk about the federal response to their external threat, then we should also be able to play the same blame game (which we deserve) with our internal response.

As I understand the rules set out for this thread, only State and Local policy decisions and governmental actions are supposed to be allowed on this thread. And yet there are innumerable examples of violations occurring daily from BOTH sides right now regarding various potential federal responses.

If we're going to be truthful, the two boards should be divvied up like a newspaper where the News section is devoted to Current Events & Analysis and the Op/Ed section is for Political Opinions & Partisanship. If posters don't want to talk about politics, then they need to stick with current events and nothing else (which I'm happy to do). But let's not play a disingenuous game that leads to two separate little media bubbles.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Uh.

Their methods are largely prolific PPE use, and testing and tracing. They didn’t shut their country down the way we did. They are straddled with the same global economy burden that everyone is, but I think they are in much better shape than most of the world when it comes to their internal economy because they have the virus largely contained.

They still have people traveling into the country every day. 2 week mandatory self quarantine. Government provides a quarantine kit with food and supplies when you get to your residence/address and follow up with phone calls twice a day. People caught breaking quarantine get deported.

45 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

Wife is friends with a family from China from our kids' school.  The parents are actually stuck over there but the wife (or someone pretending to be her) is still able to communicate via facebook messenger.  Says that all they hear is that the US made and spreed the virus and there are hundreds of thousands of bodies in trees here. 

Wait until they find out about what we do to birds on Tuesdays. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We do.

So, I mean, discussions of government policies - both actual and suggested -- sure fall squarely within that definition.  Discussions of geopolitics (I mean, the word is actually within the word) fall right in there..

But we're not dense; we also understand that on this thread, the definition is totally different:

So long as it's not that, then it's not "politics" here.  Have all the conversations you want about whatever you want.  Just stop pretending that there's any logical consistency to the "standard" y'all shout from the mountaintops.  This is your safe space.  Own it.

you can check out any time you like..but you can never leave

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away