Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

It's not.  That's the narrative folks have enjoyed creating, but I think that most folks around her have been talking about some balanced, measured approach with ample testing and contact tracing.  I'm trepidatious about Abbott's proposal, but part of that is just being nervous about EVERY measure we've taken.  The other is that I don't fully trust that we have the testing and tracing system in place.  But it's either time, or getting near the time, to start dialing back restrictions.  

I have some OTHER issues with the plan (I think that the mask requirement should continue for any time people are in a group setting at all - the store, etc.).  I think we're missing a lot of guidance on OTHER places of work (e.g., say that I don't run a restaurant or movie theater -- I run a large office with lots of clerical staff....what are those folks supposed to be doing?  And yes, I realize that many of them can and should make their own call, but guidance is really helpful).  What about travel?  Are we still going to restrict people coming from certain areas?  What about public meetings of gov't entities -- should the City of Austin just hold a regular city council meeting, with 100 people in the audience like before?

I'm trying really hard to be hopeful, and a lot of other folks are too.  We'd very much like to see society and the economy functioning at a significantly higher level than they are today.  But we also don't want to look up in 6 weeks and say "fuck, that was a mistake, and it's gonna kill another 60,000 people."

I believe Singapore has been lauded for their testing and tracing system and it’s still running through their city. 

The bottom line is, a huge number of our population will be exposed to this, but you hope it’s after we get some better knowledge of the virus and treatments.  While we work on that, the dwindling case numbers and warmer weather/low corona season are the perfect setup to allow places like Texas to reopen somewhat. 

We’re all gonna get shut down in the fall again anyway. Might as well get a few good months in. 

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's not.  That's the narrative folks have enjoyed creating, but I think that most folks around her have been talking about some balanced, measured approach with ample testing and contact tracing.  I'm trepidatious about Abbott's proposal, but part of that is just being nervous about EVERY measure we've taken.  The other is that I don't fully trust that we have the testing and tracing system in place.  But it's either time, or getting near the time, to start dialing back restrictions.  

I have some OTHER issues with the plan (I think that the mask requirement should continue for any time people are in a group setting at all - the store, etc.).  I think we're missing a lot of guidance on OTHER places of work (e.g., say that I don't run a restaurant or movie theater -- I run a large office with lots of clerical staff....what are those folks supposed to be doing?  And yes, I realize that many of them can and should make their own call, but guidance is really helpful).  What about travel?  Are we still going to restrict people coming from certain areas?  What about public meetings of gov't entities -- should the City of Austin just hold a regular city council meeting, with 100 people in the audience like before?

I'm trying really hard to be hopeful, and a lot of other folks are too.  We'd very much like to see society and the economy functioning at a significantly higher level than they are today.  But we also don't want to look up in 6 weeks and say "fuck, that was a mistake, and it's gonna kill another 60,000 people."

I hear you, but the sword has two edges.  We can try to gradually open things up and see how they go, or we can continue the status quo which could lead to irreversible harm to our local, state and global economy.   

we could also open up, have a slight setback, and put even greater restrictions than the current SiP, which will undoubtedly lead to social unrest, and quite likely could lead to countless closures of the very operations we were trying to save in the first place.  It’s a precarious situation.  

we stay shut down and people start going hungry, and hospitals start shuddering doors, and people’s generosity turns to defense, etc, and we’re staring dark ass times in the face.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I hear you, but the sword has two edges.  We can try to gradually open things up and see how they go, or we can continue the status quo which could lead to irreversible harm to our local, state and global economy.   

we could also open up, have a slight setback, and put even greater restrictions than the current SiP, which will undoubtedly lead to social unrest, and quite likely could lead to countless closures of the very operations we were trying to save in the first place.  It’s a precarious situation.  

we stay shut down and people start going hungry, and hospitals start shuddering doors, and people’s generosity turns to defense, etc, and we’re staring dark ass times in the face.  

sooo fuck China!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

The bottom line is, a huge number of our population will be exposed to this,

If the antibody tests is CA are to be believed, being that they were FIFTY FIVE times higher than expected....lends credence to the notion that this has been circulating for months prior to our knowledge.  We've been exposed to this for some time now and it's not going to reduce, so we need a gradual exposure process before things implode.  

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Is there a legal distinction that classifies an establishment as a bar and not as a restaurant? Most bars at least sell chips or nuts. How much snack food has to be on hand for a bar to consider itself a restaurant and be able to open on May 1?

It's a % of food sales to liquor sales in many states.  There was a bar we hit in college a lot. $2 cover charge to get in. What they didn't tell you was the $2.00 got you 2 hot dogs. That was how they worked around the food to liquor requirement, allegedly.

22 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I believe Singapore has been lauded for their testing and tracing system and it’s still running through their city. 

The bottom line is, a huge number of our population will be exposed to this, but you hope it’s after we get some better knowledge of the virus and treatments.  While we work on that, the dwindling case numbers and warmer weather/low corona season are the perfect setup to allow places like Texas to reopen somewhat. 

We’re all gonna get shut down in the fall again anyway. Might as well get a few good months in. 

Actually, glad you brought that up.  It's a great example.

YES, Singapore has seen a large number of new cases (a spike of 799).  BUT......

As of 27 April 2020, 12pm, the Ministry of Health (MOH) has confirmed 799 new cases of COVID-19 infection in Singapore.

Among the cases:

0 imported case

18 are cases in the community 

14 Singaporeans/Permanent Residents, 4 Work Passes

17 are Work Permit holders residing outside dormitories

764 are Work Permit holders residing in dormitories

They have a single cluster that's responsible for over 95% of the cases.  A cluster that they can trace and confine.  We'll see how those cases transfer to future cases out in the community.

Putting out the fires when the are small is one of the most successful wildfire reduction strategies.  I just want to see it happen here.

• Like 4

If the antibody tests is CA are to be believed, being that they were FIFTY FIVE times higher than expected....lends credence to the notion that this has been circulating for months prior to our knowledge.  We've been exposed to this for some time now and it's not going to reduce, so we need a gradual exposure process before things implode.  

The thing that I can’t square is if the above is true and it is as contagious as we think, why did it take so long (relative to expected spread) to impact NYC the way that it has? If it was running rampant a lot earlier then we would’ve expected January or February or early March to ramp up the death count, right?

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Actually, glad you brought that up.  It's a great example.

YES, Singapore has seen a large number of new cases (a spike of 799).  BUT......

They have a single cluster that's responsible for over 95% of the cases.  A cluster that they can trace and confine.  We'll see how those cases transfer to future cases out in the community.

Putting out the fires when the are small is one of the most successful wildfire reduction strategies.  I just want to see it happen here.

Setting small fires to prevent a big one from spreading is also a successful wildfire reduction strategy. I'm not sure why you keep using that example. In fact putting out small fires actually led to catastrophic wildfires out west, so your analogy is terrible and you should feel bad.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, babysdaddy said:

The thing that I can’t square is if the above is true and it is as contagious as we think, why did it take so long (relative to expected spread) to impact NYC the way that it has? If it was running rampant a lot earlier then we would’ve expected January or February or early March to ramp up the death count, right?

Maybe?  Possibly?  I'm sure we are going to see results from ambient temperature impacting the virus as it does to so many others.  Or the majority of travelers spread across the West Coast first?  NY was in trouble regardless.  The congestion.  The transportation network.  Cuomo encouraging people to ride the subway as a way to thumb his nose at the administration early after the travel ban I'm sure didn't help.  See Taiwan.  Cities in China.  Italy.  Multi-generational living.  Take NY and NJ out of the US stats, as we look like Norway or Germany.  

45 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

My hair is as long as it's been in a good while, but sadly I'm not even one tiny bit taller.

53 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I just got one this afternoon on my back porch.  #4 clipper guard FTW.

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

today is officially the longest i have went without a HC in 20 years.  i dont know how i feel about this

I grabbed the 1/2 guard Saturday morning, possibly after drinking, and “trimmed” the sides of my head. Got the wife to blend it in to the best of her ability. She was not amused but I sure as hell was. Going to be rocking the Poneytail with shaved sides of this goes much longer. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Setting small fires to prevent a big one from spreading is also a successful wildfire reduction strategy. I'm not sure why you keep using that example. In fact putting out small fires actually led to catastrophic wildfires out west, so your analogy is terrible and you should feel bad.

Haven't you read his posts?  He feels bad ALL THE TIME.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

And I was wrong Smithfield pulled the plug on Crete before Tyson did on Madison so we keep shedding pork capacities faster than I hoped. If the can get Sioux Falls up soon it’ll be a big relief 

So goes bacon....... so goes the nation.......

8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

So goes bacon....... so goes the nation.......

Now it turns out that maybe it’s not closing in Crete, the mayor says it is, the Union head says they ain’t told him shit, and Smithfield is keeping quiet right now. 

And I was wrong Smithfield pulled the plug on Crete before Tyson did on Madison so we keep shedding pork capacities faster than I hoped. If the can get Sioux Falls up soon it’ll be a big relief 
SD Governor says they'll reopen this week.

North Dakota gonna announce their plans to lift the quarantine tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, Parliament said:

They need to open this week or were super fucked on hogs in the western corn belt. JBS Worthing needs to come back too before we lose Madison too. On the cattle front, Tyson is parking ready cattle in one my coworkers family’s feed lot by Dakota City, that should have been going to Joslin, Illinois instead ahead of their supposed restart later this week.

9 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I'm a fan of the Honorable Governor Noem...and I'm not talking about cloak room stuff

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looking at the numbers in my county (17 cases and 3 deaths out of 60-70k), I've come to a philosophy of "keep moving". Seven of our cases are from travel, and six are from working with COVID positive coworkers in DFW, Four don't have any idea how they got it. The majority of our cases are being in proximity from three to twenty-four hours or more of COVID positive people, nearly all asymptomatic, or came down with symptoms at the same time.

I have no idea of what viral load it takes to be symptomatic, or to reach the point of no return, these are still numbers we do not know yet. Maybe a little exposure, then let your body's immune system do it's job. I make sure I am not around anyone in a public place for more than about 15 seconds  (social distancing included). I wear a mask and wipe everything down. This is my way of hopefully mitigating any symptoms and hopefully building antibodies. It's a crap shoot, but one I'm willing to try, but I got shit to do for financial reasons.

Would love for anyone to critique this plan, Doctors, Epidemiologists, Biologists.....in other words I'm willing to be a guinea pig.

CHIEF

1 minute ago, CHIEF said:

Looking at the numbers in my county (17 cases and 3 deaths out of 60-70k), I've come to a philosophy of "keep moving". Seven of our cases are from travel, and six are from working with COVID positive coworkers in DFW, Four don't have any idea how they got it. The majority of our cases are being in proximity from three to twenty-four hours or more of COVID positive people, nearly all asymptomatic, or came down with symptoms at the same time.

I have no idea of what viral load it takes to be symptomatic, or to reach the point of no return, these are still numbers we do not know yet. Maybe a little exposure, then let your body's immune system do it's job. I make sure I am not around anyone in a public place for more than about 15 seconds  (social distancing included). I wear a mask and wipe everything down. This is my way of hopefully mitigating any symptoms and hopefully building antibodies. It's a crap shoot, but one I'm willing to try, but I got shit to do for financial reasons.

Would love for anyone to critique this plan, Doctors, Epidemiologists, Biologists.....in other words I'm willing to be a guinea pig.

CHIEF

Speaking with decades of experience consuming the very item making up your profile pic.....I think we're good my man.....

They need to open this week or were super fucked on hogs in the western corn belt. JBS Worthing needs to come back too before we lose Madison too. On the cattle front, Tyson is parking ready cattle in one my coworkers family’s feed lot by Dakota City, that should have been going to Joslin, Illinois instead ahead of their supposed restart later this week.

Cattle are a bit easier because supply chain from calf to hamburger isn't as specific as hogs and chickens. They're euthanizing chickens in Minnesota already. Hogs will soon be getting it too.

5 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Just saw some tweet that some of the restaurant’s do not think 25% capacity I s worth opening for. cost effective I’m sure it’s a fluid situation and many will change their minds over the next couple of days. We’ll see how this all shakes out

Margins are already razor thin for restaurants.  They have to be able to make money on drinks at the very least.  

Aren’t they at like 2 deaths/>1000 cases between the worthington and smithfield breakouts? Not to say 2 is great news but in a data driven society we’re in, it gives us a good IFR. Granted I’m sure most employees are middle aged or younger.

7 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Just saw some tweet that some of the restaurant’s do not think 25% capacity I s worth opening for. I’m sure it’s a fluid situation and many will change their minds over the next couple of days. We’ll see how this all shakes out

Well, they aren't charging $60 for a Stouffer's frozen lasagna. 

Just now, Parliament said:

Cattle are a bit easier because supply chain from calf to hamburger isn't as specific as hogs and chickens. They're euthanizing chickens in Minnesota already. Hogs will soon be getting it too.

I'd bid out on animals in lieu of wasting them - buy a whole pig, chickens, etc. and get a cheap freezer.  Not sure it's a viable market, but I'd love to see it happen.  I know lots of guys that would buy 1/2 or 1/4 cow and process it themselves.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I'd bid out on animals in lieu of wasting them - buy a whole pig, chickens, etc. and get a cheap freezer.  Not sure it's a viable market, but I'd love to see it happen.  I know lots of guys that would buy 1/2 or 1/4 cow and process it themselves.  

People have already been doing this.  But chest freezers were sold out as recently as a couple weeks ago.  Not sure if you'd be able to buy one right now.

20 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Just saw some tweet that some of the restaurant’s do not think 25% capacity I s worth opening for. I’m sure it’s a fluid situation and many will change their minds over the next couple of days. We’ll see how this all shakes out

Wouldn’t surprise me. Some of the places we have be curbsiding from seem to have the operation down to a pretty efficient process. Opening up the dining room with quarter capacity just seems like in many cases it could be a step backwards from a business perspective. 

Edited by Anastasis

Dr Fauci was saying as late as February 29 that there was no need for Americans to change their daily habits. You know, the top scientist for infectious diseases!

Pretty sure St. Pats is in mid-March. Of course I could be mistaken.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away