Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

42 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It was tearing through nursing homes here in the US in February 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/21/us/coronavirus-nursing-home-kirkland-life-care.html

As posted earlier, the more discussion people are having the more and more it seems a huge number of people had symptoms around the Holidays.  Symptoms similar, if not worse than the flu, but negative when checked.  The antibody testing is going to be very, very interesting.  I also saw yesterday an article intimating that the infected number in/from China is more than fifty times higher than reported based upon the available data.  This is staggering, if not unexpected.  

I'd like to see prelim numbers on the infected currently utilizing ventilators (which are not in short supply at all) and beds for those requiring hospitalization (not illness specific, just the numbers) for Dec, Jan, & Feb, VS. Mar & April.  We know the attribution logic skews towards COVID, as any respiratory infection testing positive for COVID, regardless of severity, is then attributed to COVID.  There are also perverse financial incentives for a COVID diagnosis for hospitals.  This is not an indictment of the staff or even a suggestion they are gaming anything, but merely a statement that the incentive could be manipulated if not carefully monitored.  

Edited by BabaYaga

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

I also saw yesterday an article intimating that the infected number in/from China is more than fifty times higher than reported based upon the available data.  This is staggering, if not unexpected.  

Considering that China built a hospital in Wuhan in late January, they knew what they were up against weeks before that. Not shocking that initial exposure would have been in Dec.

15 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You on the Croatan side or Boardwalk side of Rudee ?  Had a bud who had a ocean front house there. Great part of the beach, almost private, with great roof top views back up the strip.  

I'm on the Oceanfront side behind Rudee's restaurant. My folks are on the other side of the bridge, just before Croatan.

7 minutes ago, iodeac said:

So my friend in Houston says you all are opening up again this weekend, restaurants, movie theaters etc at 25% capacity? Vayan con Dios

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

I'm coming around to the idea that it's the right move. This isn't going away any time soon and we can't afford to let everything stay closed for 18 months. 

• Like 4

For your AM livestock update, fresh beef values continue to surge as choice moves past $325, and select past $315, fresh pork is just short of $88, with everything up but hams. Hog futures have continued to surge as the fund money angles towards putting ready hogs down, and better value on June contract and out, while cattle futures remain flat, but will probably see short covering whenever we can start ramping packers back up now that we've defended the lows, but the April contract in delivery could be real squirrelly with what cash has traded being well above the board and needing to converge.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

Rumor is that the President is going to invoke the defense production act to force the packing plants open. I don't know how were are going to do that with the amount of sick workers in the idled plants, but we'll find out. 

Easy, just mobilize the Space Force to work the plant's lines. They already have space suits and everything!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Top Notch is reopening on Monday, albeit carhop-only service and call ahead.  They’ve mentioned that they need the loans to survive

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/with-one-loan-secured-top-notch-owner-depending-on-another-to-reopen/

Fuck yeah!  Ate their 2-3 times a week in HS.  Love that place!

source.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Texaus said:

Maybe I missed the explanation, but why are meat packing plants hotbeds of this virus? There’s bound to be hundreds of meat packing facilities, are they all experiencing this?

It's cool and damp, and everybody works shoulder to shoulder, and go home to multi-family living situations. 

• Like 2

So the cattle runs slid to 76K today, with yesterday revised down from 81K to 77K which is a new low for this outbreak, hogs fell to 283K from 303K yesterday(revised down from 313K) both are now closing in on 60% of capacity. I was hoping we could get back above 90K and 350K week, but it's going to take a couple of big reopenings and no further losses. We will see if the executive order does much, but this is a labor issue, and unless they want to make them work at gun point, it's going to stay tough sledding for awhile. Best case is probably that we got 25-50% runs out of some of the closed plants next week. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

how many is that?

Varies from plant to plant. For example JBS beef in Grand Island has about 800 positives out 3600 workers so far. Tyson in Dakota City is about 400 so far out of 4000. Smithfield in Crete is about 150 of 2000 so far. Crete was announced as to be idled yesterday, but they reversed course and are going to run half days now, which I don't know what good that will do, but I suppose now that their ordered to do something that's something. The general reaction of the meat industry sees this more as the gov't providing a liability shield for the packers, than actually doing anything constructive as far as restoring production. 

13 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

JBS beef in Grand Island has about 800 positives out 3600 workers so far. Tyson in Dakota City is about 400 so far out of 4000. Smithfield in Crete is about 150 of 2000 so far.

that's a shitload in each case, there's no way the government should mandate people go to work in that environment

15 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

that's a shitload in each case, there's no way the government should mandate people go to work in that environment

So again, we are all about to be forced to become vegan? Glad I have a nice quiet pellet gun and a back yard full of quail. 

I'm coming around to the idea that it's the right move. This isn't going away any time soon and we can't afford to let everything stay closed for 18 months. 

Also part of the governor’s announcement was a more robust testing and tracing program. Another school of thought, is that you use data on how and where people are sick/were sick to drive decision-making. When public health officials see that the transmission rate is decreasing in stages and geography, they communicate to leaders in those areas.

Each stage of reopening should have a
If Texas is currently bottom-five in per person testing in the US as the Texas Tribune reports, then any decision to open commerce is based on guesswork and hope. You get the data, then you make decisions based on findings.
  • Like 1

Also part of the governor’s announcement was a more robust testing and tracing program. Another school of thought, is that you use data on how and where people are sick/were sick to drive decision-making. When public health officials see that the transmission rate is decreasing in stages and geography, they communicate to leaders in those areas.

Each stage of reopening should have a confirmed

If Texas is currently bottom-five in per person testing in the US as the Texas Tribune reports, then any decision to open commerce is based on guesswork and hope. You get the data, then you make decisions based on findings.

9 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

So again, we are all about to be forced to become vegan? 

well, I hope not, but I don't really want the government telling the workers "you have to go back to work"

now, since we all seem to be in universal agreement that regardless of party the modern American president is supposed to be like Oprah giving shit away, then if the Feds want to backstop the meat processors financially so they can pay hazard pay for workers who VOLUNTEER to come in and work at a place where the infection rate is apparently almost 25%, I guess that would be OK 

So on the putting animals down front, a client that farrows for Smithfield said they told him that they won't take any hogs with flaws for sure to finish out of the current groups by mid-May, so that he probably out to start shooting the ones that won't make weight now so he doesn't have to do it at the last minute. 

21 hours ago, justhookit said:

It’s not like you are going to see any restaurants open that aren’t already open for takeout now. They can’t operate at 25% capacity and make a profit.

This is just it.  So many restaurants and entertainment businesses run on thin margins.  Just because you say you ‘open the economy’ that doesn’t magically fix shit.  
The protesters crack me up, I get it...everyone needs to vent.  But even when big brother allows things to open, it doesn’t mean they will.   

22 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

so they can pay hazard pay for workers who VOLUNTEER to come in and work at a place where the infection rate is apparently almost 25%, I guess that would be OK 

I read where the JBS in Cactus Tx was going to start paying 4$ an hour extra for folks that would come on to work.......4$ is a lot of money

Figured out what is going on in the Panhandle.  JBS has a meat packing plant in Cactus.  They run a bus service into the plant 2x a day from Amarillo.  

For reference, Moore County has about 22,000 residents.  There are 294 cases.  That's 1.33% of the population.   For reference, if Harris county had that kind of positive test rate, there would be 62,000 and not 5,800.

That whole area in NW Texas has around 325,00-350,000 with about 950 cases.  For reference, Fort Bend has 585,000 people and 950 cases.  Montgomery County has 590,000 people and 530 cases. 

This is fixing to hit Amarillo hard. It's already messed with Lubbock.  I'm worried about Midland/Odessa and Abilene.  Abilene has also really seen an increase in cases.

Edited by Macanudo

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away