Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

4 minutes ago, pacman said:

Assuming they are healthy workers...

Any precautions for screening?

Supposedly they've been doing temperature scans and what not. With the improvement rumored at the JBS plant in Grand Island, we're probably getting to the point within the plant that there's not too many more workers that can catch it. 

1 hour ago, Elvis said:

Being on the placebo would piss me right off.

There is a reason why they have to use them in trials. Because they fucking work. 

I am not making light of anybody's illness, mindset or ability to handle things but it does say a lot about people that are magically cured when given a water pill. 

The power of positive thinking and why I try to avoid the "world is ending" segment of our population. 

31 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You don’t know how statistics work, or I don’t know sarcasm. 

do you think the death rate is higher in ny/nj?  Do you think the 99.97% survival rate applies to each person, regardless of their age and health?

did you read what I wrote?

Big pharma is absolutely the answer to returning to normal. In the mean time, most people will have to accept the risks and precautions that go along with this new normal. The wheel must keep spinning, but it’s going to spin a little differently until big pharma has a solution for this.
So wash your hands, wear a mask, buy an airplane ride.

10 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
1 hour ago, Hate said:
Big pharma is absolutely the answer to returning to normal. In the mean time, most people will have to accept the risks and precautions that go along with this new normal. The wheel must keep spinning, but it’s going to spin a little differently until big pharma has a solution for this.

Does that come with free peanuts?

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Texas-based Prestige Ameritech Ltd. nearly went out of business as a result of boosting production before demand faded, said owner Mike Bowen. The company laid off 150 of its 250 employees.

In 2014, CDC officials met with about 10 manufacturers to discuss worrisome data the officials were getting about capacity. Even in the most conservative scenario for a pandemic, the U.S. would need 1.7 billion to 3.5 billion respirators, and would need 7.3 billion in the highest-demand scenario, according to models the CDC reported the next year. That was far above stocks and U.S. manufacturing capacity.

The CDC officials explored possible solutions, such as having the manufacturers maintain stockpiles, according to people familiar with the discussions.

Manufacturing executives say companies were leery because of their experience in 2009. Some faulted a lack of a commitment by government and hospitals to buy domestically made masks.

“Everybody calls me when they can’t get masks,” said Mr. Bowen of Prestige Ameritech. “When everything goes back to normal, everyone goes back to the foreign masks.”

We heard that first on this thread

We proposed to FEMA to build rapid deployable kits about 4 years ago. These would be simple set ups they could move anytime anywhere. They said they loved the concept, and then nothing. Silence. Concept went up into the blackhole (not south Austin's mom's) known as bureaucracy. These were scalable models built on what our deployment teams have in their homes. Shitfucks.... All of them. 

• Like 1

Lol...I do feel badly for those of you in the airline industry. I think restaurants are going to rebound slowly, but nothing compared to how slowly the airline industry will take. At least through summer I don’t see many people flying for vacation. We had some friends getting married this summer in Maine. Until just recently they were planning on going through with it. Then the Governor of Maine extended the SIP rules (14 day quarantine) for anyone coming into Maine through July and not allowing any gatherings of over 50 people as well. I think the only trips we are taking in the near future will be places we can drive to.

5 hours ago, Incredulity said:

beyond waitstaff would be the challenges with site cleaning and customer flow/distancing.  I would suspect there will be additional personnel need for those tasks.

That, and like I said, none of them wants to run the risk of it hitting their restaurant and getting their shit put on blast by the media.   But yeah, the cleaning would be be costly at 25% occupancy.     

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Yep.  Much longer and people start doing the math.  

If I keep cooped up, there is a 100% chance my business, livelihood, and entire economic future fails.

There is also a 100% chance my wife kills me and I choke one of my kids......or open up to a virus, which is Texas, has less than a 1% chance of killing me.  

On first read I had this sentence as "much longer  and people start doing meth" which I thought was an interesting new angle and probably a really bad drug choice for quarantine. 

Unless you are looking to complete an entire home remodel.

Or looking to move to Oklahoma...

3 minutes ago, jinx said:

On first read I had this sentence as "much longer  and people start doing meth" which I thought was an interesting new angle and probably a really bad drug choice for quarantine. 

In Oklahoma, a home remodel consists of changing out the tires.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My wife’s hospital group is seeing good results with convalescent plasma. Recovery seems to take about 6 days once the antibodies are administered. One case took about 10 days, but that individual had been on then vent for 3 weeks already. 

They dropped the Z pack part of the hydrochloroquine combo, but still administer the latter. Remdesivir is only being given to pregnant women and critically ill children as supplies are low.  

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Hate said:

Lol...I do feel badly for those of you in the airline industry. I think restaurants are going to rebound slowly, but nothing compared to how slowly the airline industry will take. At least through summer I don’t see many people flying for vacation. We had some friends getting married this summer in Maine. Until just recently they were planning on going through with it. Then the Governor of Maine extended the SIP rules (14 day quarantine) for anyone coming into Maine through July and not allowing any gatherings of over 50 people as well. I think the only trips we are taking in the near future will be places we can drive to.

You can drive to Maine 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, XYZ said:

The common cold is also a coronavirus, there there ain’t no vaccine for that, either.

Because there was no incentive to develop one.

Once a variant of the virus that causes the cold turned up that could kill your ass at a rate higher than the flu....incentive found!

24 minutes ago, XYZ said:

The common cold is also a coronavirus, there there ain’t no vaccine for that, either.

That is because there are soooo many mutations of the common cold coronavirus.  Once you've had one particular version of the cold, you won't get THAT one again.  But there are who knows how many mutations so you keep catching a different version.  Same thing will happen with this one.  Whatever vaccine is developed will need to be varied as future versions of the sumbitch surface.  Like the flu.  Sometime they get it right, sometimes they don't.  But it looks like most mutations so far are towards a less severe form of the virus.

26 minutes ago, jinx said:

But meth is a good choice for a business in Oklahoma.  Or East Texas.  

Bring on the ten-some. 

The Belgian government has reportedly been considering allowing people to form "social bubbles" of 10 people, according to Belgium's Le Soir citing a leaked memo. The memo proposed that a bubble of people could spend time together on weekends, as long as all 10 people agreed to socialize exclusively with each other. Overlapping bubbles would not be allowed. The Belgian government did not respond to CNN's request for comment.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/ut-president-intention-is-to-open-campus-in-fall-but-itll-be-different/

Greg Fenves, University of Texas at Austin president, says the university’s goal remains to reopen campus in the fall.

In a letter to the UT community, Fenves outlined what the university is doing now and how they’ll approach the next academic year following Gov. Greg Abbott’s new orders to slowly reopen the Texas economy Monday.

“For the coming weeks, UT will continue to operate in its current mode,” Fenves said. “We will maintain online learning and limited on-campus operations for now, as we have since mid-March.”

He said employees that are currently working remotely will continue, and they are trying to figure how they can reopen more research labs.

As far as the future goes, Fenves said reopening the Forty Acres next school year has always been the goal, but it’ll look different.

He said some classes and activities will be held in person, and other online, “dictated by health and safety concerns.”

“But to get there, we still have a great deal of planning to do, and we must first assess and address a range of risks and solutions,” Fenves said. “We expect to announce our plans for the fall semester by the end of June, but we will continue to stay in touch as those plans take shape.”

13 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

That is because there are soooo many mutations of the common cold coronavirus.  Once you've had one particular version of the cold, you won't get THAT one again.  But there are who knows how many mutations so you keep catching a different version.  Same thing will happen with this one.  Whatever vaccine is developed will need to be varied as future versions of the sumbitch surface.  Like the flu.  Sometime they get it right, sometimes they don't.  But it looks like most mutations so far are towards a less severe form of the virus.

That's not actually true in the case of covd-19.  I read an article by a virologist a few weeks ago in which he explained that Covid-19 can't mutate as easily as the flu can.  It is much harder for it to do so in fact because of it genetic makeup.  Not all viruses can mutate like the flu can.

Edited by kevwun

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I think the way to go forward is higher level classes, which tend to have fewer students, could be in person. But English 301 with 250 students? Fuck that. Sorry, don't care if the dorms are not filled. Shit, rent Jester to the City of Austin for the homeless. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Bring on the ten-some. 

The Belgian government has reportedly been considering allowing people to form "social bubbles" of 10 people, according to Belgium's Le Soir citing a leaked memo. The memo proposed that a bubble of people could spend time together on weekends, as long as all 10 people agreed to socialize exclusively with each other. Overlapping bubbles would not be allowed. The Belgian government did not respond to CNN's request for comment.

steve martin two wild and crazy guys GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Yep.  Much longer and people start doing the math.  

If I keep cooped up, there is a 100% chance my business, livelihood, and entire economic future fails.

There is also a 100% chance my wife kills me and I choke one of my kids......or open up to a virus, which is Texas, has less than a 1% chance of killing me.  

I, my, my, me, I, me

Priorities. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Yeah, but fuck. We got to know somehow.

Placebo isn’t always so bad.  It just depends on the depth of belief that particular patient has in the product they are taking.  Also if the real product is dangerous then placebo is preferable.  

• Like 1

Final livestock note, beef values closed at new highs again, hopefully we are in the blow off phase now. Sounds like retailers are pushing panic buying up the chain there. Pork was higher but is more stable. Sounds like JBS is going to try and bring in a good chunk of cheap grinding beef soon as well 

well this was predictable.  CDC has removed the maybe's deaths and cases.  can't find it anywhere on the website.

as of 4/28 they show 57.5K deaths.  yesterdays maybe's were approx 5.3K.  so approx 52.2K deaths and slightly above 1M confirmed cases.

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

Amongst the viruses that make up the common cold are such diverse elements as the coronovirus...I'll come in again. 

Ain't no vaccine because there's no pressing medical need. 

Edited by Txzen

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Bring on the ten-some. 

Oh, sure, like Belgium is even a country.

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away