Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

From the Daily Hopkins update...this is much more exciting then Remdesivir:

OXFORD UNIVERSITY VACCINE The New York Times reported promising news regarding the Edward Jenner Institute for Vaccine Research candidate COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccine developed by the Oxford University (UK) research institute reportedly demonstrated efficacy in an animal trial that could potentially signal its ability to prevent infection in humans. The trial, conducted by the US National Institutes of Health, involved 6 vaccinated rhesus macaques, and all 6 remained healthy at least 28 days after exposure to the SARS-CoV-2 virus that caused disease in unvaccinated animals. While this result is promising, efficacy in rhesus macaques does not always translate to efficacy in humans. According to the article, millions of doses of the vaccine could be available by September 2020, if clinical trials in humans demonstrate safety and efficacy. The vaccine is based on a chimpanzee adenovirus platform that was under development prior to the COVID-19 pandemic. Notably, the Jenner Institute’s COVID-19 vaccine website explicitly states that media reports on the trial’s progress should not be given any credibility, but it does not provide any official update regarding the content in the New York Times article. The Jenner Institute’s vaccine website states that the best-case scenario is that Phase III efficacy trial data is available “by the autumn of 2020”; however, production is already being scaled up to allow for expanded trials and accelerated availability.

• Like 3

TALLAHASSEE – Gov. Ron DeSantis on Wednesday ordered a “small step” to reopen the state, announcing his plan would cover all counties outside of the three most affected areas in South Florida starting Monday.

As part of his Phase 1 plan:

- Restaurants can reopen with 25% capacity indoors, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines, and outdoor seating will be allowed with social distancing.

- Retail can operate at 25% of indoor capacity.

- Schools will remain doing “distance learning" from home.

- Visits to senior facilities will still be banned.

- Elective surgeries will restart statewide.

- Bars will remain closed.

- Unlike in neighboring Georgia, gyms and hair salons will also remain closed.

DeSantis still recommended facemasks for people who have face-to-face interactions in the workplace or can’t social distance.

The counties that won’t be included for the time being are Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach, the epicenter of the virus in the state.

2 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

TALLAHASSEE – Gov. Ron DeSantis on Wednesday ordered a “small step” to reopen the state, announcing his plan would cover all counties outside of the three most affected areas in South Florida starting Monday.

- Restaurants can reopen with 25% capacity indoors, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines, and outdoor seating will be allowed with social distancing.

DeSantis still recommended facemasks for people who have face-to-face interactions in the workplace or can’t social distance.

The counties that won’t be included for the time being are Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach, the epicenter of the virus in the state.

Harvard Study - 19 states doing Enough Testing to Open Up

This study looks state by state looking at population density and the extent of the covid infection rate to see how many tests per day are needed to open up.

The summary: 17 of the 19 states that have enough testing to open up are in the south and western US.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

The assessing things county by county is also a good idea.  Sadly my favorite counties in FL are still closed but the idea makes sense along with ramped up testing...I still wish I saw anything on tracing.  Have we given up at this point?  I easily could have missed something if it's out there. 

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Bring on the ten-some. 

The Belgian government has reportedly been considering allowing people to form "social bubbles" of 10 people, according to Belgium's Le Soir citing a leaked memo. The memo proposed that a bubble of people could spend time together on weekends, as long as all 10 people agreed to socialize exclusively with each other. Overlapping bubbles would not be allowed. The Belgian government did not respond to CNN's request for comment.

So now the new test is if you are "bubble" worthy.

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I would like to know the process for enforcing that.  Is there going to be a Ministry of Social Bubbles where all social bubbles are registered and issued ID cards identifying your social bubble?

they will ration your beer and chocolate until you comply.

24 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

OXFORD UNIVERSITY VACCINE The New York Times reported promising news regarding the Edward Jenner Institute for Vaccine Research candidate COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccine developed by the Oxford University (UK) research institute reportedly demonstrated efficacy in an animal trial that could potentially signal its ability to prevent infection in humans. The trial, conducted by the US National Institutes of Health, involved 6 vaccinated rhesus macaques, and all 6 remained healthy at least 28 days after exposure to the SARS-CoV-2 virus that caused disease in unvaccinated animals. While this result is promising, efficacy in rhesus macaques does not always translate to efficacy in humans. According to the article, millions of doses of the vaccine could be available by September 2020, if clinical trials in humans demonstrate safety and efficacy. The vaccine is based on a chimpanzee adenovirus platform that was under development prior to the COVID-19 pandemic. Notably, the Jenner Institute’s COVID-19 vaccine website explicitly states that media reports on the trial’s progress should not be given any credibility, but it does not provide any official update regarding the content in the New York Times article. The Jenner Institute’s vaccine website states that the best-case scenario is that Phase III efficacy trial data is available “by the autumn of 2020”; however, production is already being scaled up to allow for expanded trials and accelerated availability.

Unless I am mixing up the different vaccines in development, this has a pretty neat mechanism of action.  From what I understand they engineer an adenovirus to include genetic material that codes the production of surface proteins of the corona virus.  When the vax is administered it, it infects cells, inserts its genetic material, and then the cell starts pumping out surface proteins that the immune system builds antibodies against.  Pretty wild stuff. Fighting a virus with a genetically designed virus.  

26 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Harvard Study - 19 states doing Enough Testing to Open Up

This study looks state by state looking at population density and the extent of the covid infection rate to see how many tests per day are needed to open up.

The summary: 17 of the 19 states that have enough testing to open up are in the south and western US.

That's a great article and shows just how fragmented public health is in this country. 

It also shows how much more testing capacity is needed in areas with large outbreaks (NY state is fuuuucked) and less in others. 

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Unless I am mixing up the different vaccines in development, this has a pretty neat mechanism of action.  From what I understand they engineer an adenovirus to include genetic material that codes the production of surface proteins of the corona virus.  When the vax is administered it, it infects cells, inserts its genetic material, and then the cell starts pumping out surface proteins that the immune system builds antibodies against.  Pretty wild stuff. Fighting a virus with a genetically designed virus.  

Definitely next level shit. 

5 minutes ago, The Dog said:

That's a great article and shows just how fragmented public health is in this country. 

It also shows how much more testing capacity is needed in areas with large outbreaks (NY state is fuuuucked) and less in others. 

As is Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, AZ, NM, ND, NB, LA, MS, TN, etc etc. This isn't a one size fits all epidemic. There is a map in the article in the link where you can hover over each state to see their testing capability vs what is needed to reopen.

Should not have shut down at all here in Texas. But since we did, we should have opened up by 50% two weeks ago. Around Easter as a matter of fact.

May 1 should have been the date we opened up at 100% with businesses and individuals able to shelter or not shelter open or not open in whatever makes sense for them.

Schools could have opened mid April with staggered scheduled half the grades on any given campus 2 days a week or first half of day and last half of day with lots of disinfecting and if they wanted to require masks, so be it. By May 1 if no evidence of school related spikes in cases, open up for last month of classes.

23 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I don’t understand airlines not requiring masks on all passengers. What possible reason could they have for not requiring it?

Because people will fuck it up and not bring masks, at a high percentage of the cabin.  I think it's a no-brainer for airlines to require masks, but they need to be supplied with a large amount of spare masks to hand out for those that forget or choose not to comply.

Millions of doses available for Sept 2020 you say? I think college football players should be first in line!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Because people will fuck it up and not bring masks, at a high percentage of the cabin.  I think it's a no-brainer for airlines to require masks, but they need to be supplied with a large amount of spare masks to hand out for those that forget or choose not to comply.

It would be easy to enforce.  If you show up without a mask you do't get on the plane and no refund.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It would be easy to enforce.  If you show up without a mask you do't get on the plane and no refund.

Plane don't move till your shit filter is in place...

just like a seatbelt, but on yo face.

2 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Well are we talking about real masks, or just scarves and bandannas and ski masks and shit?

5 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Of course it would, but you think airlines that are already financially distressed are ready to draw that line in the sand with its consumer base?  

17 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Of course it would, but you think airlines that are already financially distressed are ready to draw that line in the sand with its consumer base?  

Why would they care.  If you have a mask you pay and fly.  If you don't have a mask you pay and don't fly.  Shit they would be hoping nobody brought a mask.

3 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

My wife’s hospital group is seeing good results with convalescent plasma.

Still think this will be a game changer. I would think in general if this works it works across the spectrum of patients. 

41 minutes ago, The Dog said:

It is kind of difficult to take a state like Texas and apply that number across the whole state. We are so freaking big that you would have to break this down by several regions to make it accurate. What goes for Austin may not go for Laredo or Tyler or Junction.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Definitely next level shit. 

It is, but this same approach for MERS and SARS didn't really get far as previously mentioned, though that may be more business driven than science driven. 

I see early safety reports from this approach from Oxford for SARS and MERS, with similar findings that it appears that neutralizing antibodies were produced, and cellular immunity induced. Don't know if it actually provides immunity, yet. It sure needs to work. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bullzak said:

For Fauci to say Remdesiver will become the standard of care is a big deal. 

I dont remember him using that kind of tone. Plus this dude was all over HIV so he presumably has an eye for what has a chance and what doesn't. 

Fauci getting a little ahead of things imo if he is promoting remdesivir as a standard of care based on data from one trial. 

Full disclosure: I am short GILD so I do have a conflicted interest. 

17 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

You mean lack of testing? That isn't a criteria for reopening. We're pretty close to last in per capita testing.

And what 40something in deaths per capita among the states?

Texaa is on par with testing per capita with the U.K. and France with deaths per capita far less than both. In fact, Texas death per capita is less than pretty much every country out there outside of a small handful of outliers.

48 minutes ago, bullzak said:

Still think this will be a game changer. I would think in general if this works it works across the spectrum of patients. 

It’s worked on everyone they’ve used it on. Granted, that’s not a big number yet, but it’s encouraging. 

Apparently the remdesivir is very, very expensive. 

12 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

It’s worked on everyone they’ve used it on. Granted, that’s not a big number yet, but it’s encouraging. 

It's also IV infusion, which limits its utility as an early intervention. Basically you are going to have to be hospitalized to receive this treatment. 

I know that I have been pretty negative in the last few posts, but I truly don't believe that remdesivir is not going to be a magic bullet. GILD short aside.

I just watched Fauci's comments and there are a lot of things that I find some problems with.  He promotes the sample size and power and p-value (lol) of the study as a strong feature, and then out the other side of his mouth minimizes the finding of no difference re: mortality by suggesting that it was "trending towards significance" (total bullshit). You can't have it both ways. If you were powered to detect a clinically significant difference in time to recovery, I would be willing to bet that you were also powered to detect a meaningful difference in mortality. 

I truly hope that they generate some confirmatory results, and this represents a bridge to vaccine.

I also noted his comments that they are starting to look at combination treatment with "anti-inflammatories", which I interpret to mean some of the IL inhibitors previously discussed up thread.   

Edited by Anastasis

52 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Texaa is on par with testing per capita with the U.K. and France with deaths per capita far less than both. In fact, Texas death per capita is less than pretty much every country out there outside of a small handful of outliers.

Not having a bad outbreak at the present time is a bad criteria to reopen. You want to have an ability, or at least the semblance of a plan, to avoid a bad outbreak once you reopen. Italy jumped from 50 (what Texas reported today according to worldometer) deaths a day to 800 in 2 weeks. There are enough cases here that it can quickly spiral out of control if we let it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Fauci getting a little ahead of things imo if he is promoting remdesivir as a standard of care based on data from one trial. 

Full disclosure: I am short GILD so I do have a conflicted interest. 

I can only imagine that Fauci has more information than just that trial for him to make a statement like that.

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I’d like to think that an immediate need for millions (?) of doses would bring the cost down. And if the price is artificially high because patents and recouping development costs, the increased volume and some applied pressure might help as well. 

43 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Not having a bad outbreak at the present time is a bad criteria to reopen. You want to have an ability, or at least the semblance of a plan, to avoid a bad outbreak once you reopen. Italy jumped from 50 (what Texas reported today according to worldometer) deaths a day to 800 in 2 weeks. There are enough cases here that it can quickly spiral out of control if we let it. 

"Why are y'all not subscribing to our predictions of doom for the 6th time in a month and a half?"

Too stupid to understand our fake science...dumb Texans motherfuckers.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Iceman said:

"Why are y'all not subscribing to our predictions of doom for the 6th time in a month and a half?"

Too stupid to understand our fake science...dumb Texans motherfuckers.

I have no idea what you're talking about, and per usual, neither do you.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’d like to think that an immediate need for millions (?) of doses would bring the cost down. And if the price is artificially high because patents and recouping development costs, the increased volume and some applied pressure might help as well. 

They’re only giving it to pregnant woman and critically ill children as a “compassionate” medicine for last ditch efforts is my understanding. Much of the supply is allegedly being hoarded for testing. 

I dunno about millions of doses bringing down the price of the demand is very high. 

42 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

They’re only giving it to pregnant woman and critically ill children as a “compassionate” medicine for last ditch efforts is my understanding. Much of the supply is allegedly being hoarded for testing. 

I dunno about millions of doses bringing down the price of the demand is very high. 

2 hours ago, Enchubben said:

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Ha. That's cute.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away