Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Confusion emote sucks. You’re the only fucker I have seen do it. It doesn’t award points positively or negatively. Negging at least conveys an emotional response. It’s as bad as iMessage reactions. God I fucking hate those.

Interesting hot take.

38 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Maybe if you support smart government that isn’t going to get punked by China 99% of time, you won’t spend so much time being angry about being punked by China.  While you’re, you know, getting sick or dying.  Try harder next time.

Are you serious?  What kind of stupid mentality is this.  Don’t blame the bad actors for what they did because we should have known better so it’s our fault.  You’d make a great enabling parent.  There’s always a chance that maybe we knew the Chinese Govt was a bunch of shit bags but never in a million years thought they would lie and cover up a virus that would kill hundreds of thousands of people.  I guess we are just naive.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If China doesn’t lie, do you think the USA halts international travel early enough to then be able to track and trace incidences and outbreaks, and have the manpower and testing capability to do so, such that we avoid a major outbreak?

i don’t. Too much value in liberty here, and prior restraint has been roundly rejected by the Supreme Court. 

If China doesn’t lie and if we had a more true picture of the shit show going on there its possible that we would have stopped flights much earlier which, by itself, would have had a significant impact on our ability to try to manage this in a better way.  But Chine lied so I guess we will never know.  

Y'all keep talking about herd immunity, but you need to learn what it means. The general idea I know you all understand is that herd immunity is when many people are immune to a disease, keeping it from taking hold and thereby protecting people who aren't immune. The population protects vulnerable individuals.

But what many are missing is that herd immunity is based on R0. This involves maths but you don't need to understand it. Basically, we need to get the proportion of susceptible people in the population to under 1/R0.  For an R0 of 2.5, we need to get 1-1/2.5=0.6 or 60% of the population immune.

However, R0, the basic reproduction number of the disease, is the average number of people an infected person goes on to infect. So while R0 for the virus initially was 2.5, that R0 changes with social distancing, PPE, and good hygiene. I am not sure what the R0 is currently, but I assume that it is lower than 2.5. This means that herd immunity would be less than the initial estimates of 60%. Of course, giving up some of the parameters leading to a lower R0 such as going back to work and decreasing social distancing, will lead to the need for a greater percentage needed for herd immunity.

• Like 5

If China doesn’t lie and if we had a more true picture of the shit show going on there its possible that we would have stopped flights much earlier which, by itself, would have had a significant impact on our ability to try to manage this in a better way.  But Chine lied so I guess we will never know.  

I love how policy discussions like this can occur with no political implications whatsoever.

It’s fascinating, really.
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I love how policy discussions like this can occur with no political implications whatsoever.

It’s fascinating, really.

You can turn almost anything into a political discussion especially if you spend most of your time in CR.  Fascinating.  Same applies to religion.

He’s been talking out his ass with numbers all thread with zero to support his position. 

we’re all allowed to believe what we want and speak out . I happen to believe this shit is far spread out, much more than a random antibody test of 3000 in a region with tens of millions of people. You do you, I don’t give a shit.
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bevo said:

However, R0, the basic reproduction number of the disease, is the average number of people an infected person goes on to infect. So while R0 for the virus initially was 2.5, that R0 changes with social distancing, PPE, and good hygiene. I am not sure what the R0 is currently, but I assume that it is lower than 2.5. This means that herd immunity would be less than the initial estimates of 60%. Of course, giving up some of the parameters leading to a lower R0 such as going back to work and decreasing social distancing, will lead to the need for a greater percentage needed for herd immunity.

"The definition describes the state where no other individuals are infected or immunized (naturally or through vaccination). Some definitions, such as that of the Australian Department of Health, add absence of "any deliberate intervention in disease transmission".[20] The basic reproduction number is not to be confused with the effective reproduction number R, which is the number of cases generated in the current state of a population, which does not have to be the uninfected state. By definition, R0 cannot be modified through vaccination campaigns. "

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_reproduction_number

Edited by Dahobbs

Y'all keep talking about herd immunity, but you need to learn what it means. The general idea I know you all understand is that herd immunity is when many people are immune to a disease, keeping it from taking hold and thereby protecting people who aren't immune. The population protects vulnerable individuals.
But what many are missing is that herd immunity is based on R0. This involves maths but you don't need to understand it. Basically, we need to get the proportion of susceptible people in the population to under 1/R0.  For an R0 of 2.5, we need to get 1-1/2.5=0.6 or 60% of the population immune.

Ok so why for an entire month are we averaging 30k cases/day? The beginning of the month sure, we were in a lag from about when our social life was shut down. But I’d expect somewhat of a drop, later on, right?

3 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

We'll be wearing face masks and taking off our shoes for the next 20 years.

And they will charge us a $10 fee because we have to use the American Airlines approved mask

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Ok so why for an entire month are we averaging 30k cases/day? The beginning of the month sure, we were in a lag from about when our social life was shut down. But I’d expect somewhat of a drop, later on, right?

I dont think you mean "averaging" since averaging 30k a day doesnt necessarily mean we have anything near 30k each day. If fact, you could have one day with 900k and average 30k a day over a month. 

To answer your real question, we may have cut the reproductive number (via shutdowns) low enough to keep the daily number consistent, but not so low as to reduce the number of new infections. Or, the number of daily new cases may be an artifact of how much testing we do. Or it could be a mix of both. 

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

I don’t care how smart you are if someone keeps information from you that you need to make an informed decision then you will struggle.

If you are dumb enough to rely on your enemy (trade war woohoo) to provide you reliable info, you get the vd you deserve.  How fucking dumb are you?  Oh never mind.  I understand.

• Like 6

I dont think you mean "averaging" since averaging 30k a day doesnt necessarily mean we have anything near 30k each day. If fact, you could have one day with 900k and average 30k a day over a month. 

To answer your real question, we may have cut the reproductive number (via shutdowns) low enough to keep the daily number consistent, but not so low as to reduce the number of new infections. Or, the number of daily new cases may be an artifact of how much testing we do. Or it could be a mix of both. 

You know what I meant. Go look at the bar graph from April 1 - today and you could almost drive a car across it

I can tell you Minnesota’s last. 5 days have been our highest testing and with numbers rising substantially the last 3

54 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Are you serious?  What kind of stupid mentality is this.  Don’t blame the bad actors for what they did because we should have known better so it’s our fault.  You’d make a great enabling parent.  There’s always a chance that maybe we knew the Chinese Govt was a bunch of shit bags but never in a million years thought they would lie and cover up a virus that would kill hundreds of thousands of people.  I guess we are just naive.  

I guess you are.  Actually you’re dumber than a sack of bat shit, but that doesn’t keep you from voting. Or talking. But you’re still dumb as a sack of bat shit.  Outsmarted by a sick chinaman, lol, put it on your grandkids tombstone ya dumb fuck.  

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 3

3 hours ago, stork642 said:

It became 100% China’s fault when they starting lying to cover up the virus which led to a domino effect in how the entire fucking world responded to said virus.  China receiving 100% of the blame for how this virus spread throughout the world is well deserved.  Fuck The Chinese Government for their straight up lies and coverup.  

You’re outraged about someone lying?  Really?  Lying?  Lo fucking l.  If lying is a capital offense well...

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 4

4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

You know what I meant. Go look at the bar graph from April 1 - today and you could almost drive a car across it

"To answer your real question, we may have cut the reproductive number (via shutdowns) low enough to keep the daily number consistent, but not so low as to reduce the number of new infections. Or, the number of daily new cases may be an artifact of how much testing we do. Or it could be a mix of both.

34 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

"The definition describes the state where no other individuals are infected or immunized (naturally or through vaccination). Some definitions, such as that of the Australian Department of Health, add absence of "any deliberate intervention in disease transmission".[20] The basic reproduction number is not to be confused with the effective reproduction number R, which is the number of cases generated in the current state of a population, which does not have to be the uninfected state. By definition, R0 cannot be modified through vaccination campaigns. "

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_reproduction_number

From your link: R0 is not a biological constant for a pathogen as it is also affected by other factors such as environmental conditions and the behaviour of the infected population. Furthermore R0 values are usually estimated from mathematical models, and the estimated values are dependent on the model used and values of other parameters.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

https://rt.live

currently .75 in Texas

Edited by Buzzrock

4 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Yeah I’ve been going to him for a long time. Good dude. 

I am sure he is a good guy, but he is wrong. Prior exposure will provide immunity but that immunity will wane as time passes. How does he think people recover from the virus?

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I am sure he is a good guy, but he is wrong. Prior exposure will provide immunity but that immunity will wane as time passes. How does he think people recover from the virus?

He said nothing is known for sure about mutation rate or how many strains we are dealing with. You could have caught one strain and another strain hits you next. 

We also don’t know yet how seasonal it will become. 

7 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yes, unless you're immunocompromised, if you actually mounted enough of a response to produce antibodies, there will be some protection.  This isn't talking false positives on antibody tests - the quality of that testing does need to to improve. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I guess you are.  Actually you’re dumber than a sack of bat shit, but that doesn’t keep you from voting. Or talking. But you’re still dumb as a sack of bat shit.  Outsmarted by a sick chinaman, lol, put it on your grandkids tombstone ya dumb fuck.  

Dude, you seem a little drunk/crazy.  Hopefully drunk but I’m guessing the latter.  Your arguments are sound though.  Just an FYI the Chinese government feels as though the phrase “sack of bat shit” is very disparaging to those who love to eat bats.  

1 minute ago, Buzzrock said:

He said nothing is known for sure about mutation rate or how many strains we are dealing with. You could have caught one strain and another strain hits you next. 

We also don’t know yet how seasonal it will become. 

That stuff is unknown. However, the spike protein which the virus uses to enter the cell, can't mutate much. Assuming a good antibody response is one that targets the spike protein, I am pretty confident that immunity against one strain will provide immunity against most strains. Don't take my word for this (or his), because there hasn't been enough research. As for seasonality, that may or may not be an issue depending on the effectiveness of whichever vaccine prevails in clinical trials. I'm personally not too worried about seasonality if a vaccine proves effective. People think influenza when talking about a coronavirus vaccine, but there are many other vaccines against viruses that work much better.

• Like 1

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-buys-more-body-bags-preparing-for-worst-case-cornavirus-scenario-11588172780

The federal government ordered 100,000 new Covid-19 body bags, in what officials described as preparations for a “worst case” scenario.

The giant order last week for “human remains pouches” comes as more than 58,000 Americans have died from Covid-19, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

spacer.png

Should be InfoWars top headline right now.

The funeral home that was overwhelmed is getting some help, whether they wanted it or not

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/29/us/bodies-trucks-brooklyn-funeral-home/index.html

Officials were back at a Brooklyn funeral home Thursday, removing bodies that weren't properly cared for inside the home, a law enforcement official tells CNN.

A day earlier, officials discovered four trucks containing as many as 60 bodies outside the Andrew Cleckley Funeral Home after someone reported fluids dripping from the trucks, according to the law enforcement official.

It's unclear how many bodies will be removed, thed official said Thursday. 

Authorities have also asked the owner to gather paperwork that would help identify the bodies.

The Department of Environmental Protection issued two summonses to the owner of the funeral home for a foul odor.

11 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the R0 of this was never close to 2.5.  more bad estimations.

You've spent the entire thread telling everybody that the IFR is actually really low. But if both IFR and R0 are low, then why would we see a rapid rise in deaths in communities all over the world? You'd expect a slow burn (slow increase in number of deaths) or no burn at all. At some point you have to see that the evidence is completely inconsistent with your hopes, right? 

• Like 4

400-700 people protested at the Michigan Capitol, as the governor extended the state of emergency to May 28th and the stay-at-home through the 15th.  These are the same folks who were protesting the other day, so not very notable except this picture

spacer.png

Those Michigan police are pretty calm and composed.   I have a feeling many state troopers elsewhere might not take kindly to people without masks screaming at them during a pandemic.  

Also, the dudes protesting/screaming, look like they all have underlying conditions   Not wise to be without a mask   

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, brakeman said:

we get to safely fly again.

I bet a lot of people on vacation will be driving this summer.

And I can only imagine what the cruise lines will be like.  Then again, plenty took cruises even as this thing was hitting the news.  

Damnit Mason County

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/mason-county-in-person-city-county-meeting-results-in-covid-19-case-spike/

We haven’t heard of many positive COVID-19 cases coming out of rural Texas counties until now. 18 people have tested positive for the coronavirus in Mason county, with more results pending. 

Mason County Judge, Jerry Bearden confirmed Thursday that the spike in cases is due, in part, to a recent in-person city council meeting. 

“We were just riding along in the local wagon, and all of a sudden the wheels fall off,” said Mason County Judge, Jerry Bearden. “We now have an open-wide pandemic here in the county.”

Two weeks ago, the town of Mason was still holding in-person city council meetings. There meetings were being held inside a room with people 6-feet apart, but the virus still managed to seep through the seams. 

“It started with elected officials and clerks,” said Judge Bearden. “They had a city council meeting that afternoon and things went from there.”

“Now we are closing down facilities. The City of Mason closed their offices down for a week,” said Judge Bearden. 

There isn’t a hospital here in Mason, just a small clinic with a physician and a few nurses. Since the outbreak, they’ve been rapidly testing people. Judge Bearden says, the county hasn’t had the resources to mitigate this virus, but more testing capacity is to come Monday. 

“The National Guard is sending out testing for folks in rural areas,” said Judge Bearden.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Whoever said they were running low on meat...

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/h-e-b-implements-purchasing-limits-on-certain-items-to-ensure-availability/

“Limits on the following meat products have been put in place for H-E-B locations in the San Antonio area, Central Texas, Gulf Coast, Border region, and certain West and North Texas towns:

• Ground beef – limit 2 packages
  • Beef, chicken, pork, turkey – limit 2 packages, combined total (not two of each)

Purchases of the following meat products will be limited in the Houston area as well as stores in Abilene, Big Spring, Burleson, Cleburne, Granbury, Hudson Oaks, Midland, Odessa, San Angelo and Waxahachie:

• Ground beef – limit 4 packages
  • Chicken – limit 4 packages
  • Brisket – limit 2

This update as concerns grow nationally about the meat supply chain. Coronavirus outbreaks among employees at plants have forced some to close.”

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/h-e-b-implements-purchasing-limits-on-certain-items-to-ensure-availability/

“Limits on the following meat products have been put in place for H-E-B locations in the San Antonio area, Central Texas, Gulf Coast, Border region, and certain West and North Texas towns:

• Beef, chicken, pork, turkey – limit 2 packages, combined total (not two of each)

Purchases of the following meat products will be limited in the Houston area as well as stores in Abilene, Big Spring, Burleson, Cleburne, Granbury, Hudson Oaks, Midland, Odessa, San Angelo and Waxahachie:

• Brisket – limit 2

This update as concerns grow nationally about the meat supply chain. Coronavirus outbreaks among employees at plants have forced some to close.”

fortunately at this point the venison supply chain is uninterrupted.

EB4647-D3-B384-4492-856-B-73-B6-CE63208-

• Like 3

I would be a little bit surprised if the two thirds number ends up being accurate (and they've already significantly surpassed that 20,000 death mark, so he missed that one).  I'd be curious what assumptions and data he used to come up with it (I haven't seen it laid out anywhere). I guess you could just compare life expectancy with the average age of the fatalities to get a ballpark estimate. 
I've very much in the camp that this is a serious disease that can cause massive harm (and has). But, I don't think it is unreasonable to acknowledge the reality that a significant number of the people that die to it would likely have died at some point later this year. 

I mean, you threw a pretty aggressive number out there without a source. We can't test your claim now, but New York's death rate has been way elevated relative to normal: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/27/upshot/coronavirus-deaths-new-york-city.html&ved=2ahUKEwik-MTr4JHpAhUMCawKHac-C7EQFjACegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw1bDXeFPK0M2ZpYNg_glxve

Obviously that spike is driven by COVID, even if it's obviously not every single death. Knowing that, if 20 percent of deaths were going to happen later this year anyway, you're saying you'd expect death rates in NYC and around the nation to drop below average over the rest of the year. And honestly, it'd have to be well below average for that to be true because we're seeing fewer deaths, which I believe are the #3 cause of death, due to people curtailing activity. Does that sound reasonable to you? Keep an eye on those numbers.

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

part of it is that testing has ramped up since the middle of last week.  from april 3-21 we were averaging 151,000 tests per day (with one outlier on april 4 of 229K, only two others in the mid 160s).  on apr 22 there was a dump of 314K tests, and since then we've been averaging   216K tests per day.  average positives went from 29,426 in the earlier period to 28,860 in the last week.

54 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

• Brisket – limit 2

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away