CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

5 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I don’t think you’re wrong so much as it’s a very US-Centric view and overstates the consequences of tribal politics on the course of this thing.

Yes of course it’s difficult to maintain any broad public health campaign in the US if Bill Bob from Birmingham isn’t going along with it, and his actions put himself and others at risk. But with 60-70% of Americans fully vaccinated (and much more in many urban areas) it’s hard to say that the lack of social cohesion in the United States has a bigger empire than the vaccine apartheid that allowed this and other variants to achieve critical mass in the Global South. 

Surveillance and sequencing is great in Africa because it has to be.

Perhaps I should have been clearer about my focus being US-centric. I suppose in a thread declaring this a political discussion, I assumed we were talking the politics of the United States.

It's quite possible I missed some context from the prior pages, but I did indeed mean for my sequence to be US-centric as the quotes are unquestionably US-centric.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Glad you had a relatively mild case. My wife and I both got it last Tuesday or Wednesday (tested negative Wednesday, positive today). Had 100-101 fever basically for 4 straight days, but that seems to have passed now. Mostly just fatigue with some mild shortness of breath issues now. My wife was boosted and seems to have had milder symptoms than I did. My booster was scheduled for this past Thursday lol

New variant ain’t fucking around in New York. I feel like a ton of people I know have tested positive overnight.

Not to sound trumpian, but never seen the testing sites crowded like they are now (we wouldn’t have as many cases if we only stopped testing!).  Granted, there have never been as many testing sites as now but every mobile site in my neighborhood has lines at least an avenue block long, and been that way all week. 

Still don’t know anyone older than toddler age test positive in this wave but seems more a matter of if, not when.

edit: when not if*

Edited by achooloco

Anybody have a # for a "vaccine finder" in central Texas?  I know my wife and kids used one last spring, but nobody can recall the contact info.

I just went through 3 rounds of booster appointment scheduling through Randalls (Jan 5), CVS (Jan 3) and Tarrytown (Dec 28).  Outside of calling a few Rx every day to see if they have leftovers, which I have been doing, I'm getting mighty frustrated with the out of date appointment calendars that are allegedly there to help schedule appointments.  

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Glad you had a relatively mild case. My wife and I both got it last Tuesday or Wednesday (tested negative Wednesday, positive today). Had 100-101 fever basically for 4 straight days, but that seems to have passed now. Mostly just fatigue with some mild shortness of breath issues now. My wife was boosted and seems to have had milder symptoms than I did. My booster was scheduled for this past Thursday lol

New variant ain’t fucking around in New York. I feel like a ton of people I know have tested positive overnight.

14 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Not to sound trumpian, but never seen the testing sites crowded like they are now (we wouldn’t have as many cases if we only stopped testing!).  Granted, there have never been as many testing sites as now but every mobile site in my neighborhood has lines at least an avenue block long, and been that way all week. 

Still don’t know anyone older than toddler age test positive in this wave but seems more a matter of if, not when.

I know more people coming down with it now than I have in all the other waves combined.  

I think if you have not had this one, you are going to get it.  Which might be a good thing since 75-80% of NYC is vaccinated, so that might mean incredibly mild cases that do not cause strain on the healthcare system.  Of course, they will still ship down the worst cases from the less vaccinated burbs and other places to NYC.  

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I do not think you know what this word means. 

Well one of us seems not to

soph·ist·ry
/ˈsäfəstrē/

noun
  1. the use of fallacious arguments, especially with the intention of deceiving.
    "trying to argue that I had benefited in any way from the disaster was pure sophistry"
    • a fallacious argument.
      plural noun: sophistries

18 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Well one of us seems not to

soph·ist·ry
/ˈsäfəstrē/

noun
  1. the use of fallacious arguments, especially with the intention of deceiving.
    "trying to argue that I had benefited in any way from the disaster was pure sophistry"
    • a fallacious argument.
      plural noun: sophistries

Again, please point to where I err in listing facts and where I even make an argument. How does my post constitute sophistry? Believe it or not, I abhor that I might engage in such a thing.

5 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

There was the part where we were told we didn't need masks and that they wouldn't help.  Then we were told sorry, that lie was just to make sure the medical community didn't run out of masks.   Not, eh, we didn't really know, but we lied to you for your own good.  So trust us now that we're not lying when we say you need to wear masks. Even if we accept that premise, you don't build trust by lying.

Then there was the part for a month or two(?) after the vaccines came out where we were told that if we were vaccinated we didn't need to wear a mask.  Then Delta happened and we were told sorry, that was wrong, back to mask wearing.

Don't get me wrong, there's certainly a hardcore anti-science faction that doesn't help.  But neither do conflicting signals from those who are supposed to be the ones we look to for guidance.

You literally just typed out multiple times when governmental guidance changed due to new information. Grow up. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

40 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

You literally just typed out multiple times when governmental guidance changed due to new information. Grow up. 

I refuse to grow up.  But why the hostility?  I wasn't making an argument, just noting that it isn't all anti-science nut jobs.  Do you think the months without masks helped contain the spread?

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Anybody have a # for a "vaccine finder" in central Texas?  I know my wife and kids used one last spring, but nobody can recall the contact info.

I just went through 3 rounds of booster appointment scheduling through Randalls (Jan 5), CVS (Jan 3) and Tarrytown (Dec 28).  Outside of calling a few Rx every day to see if they have leftovers, which I have been doing, I'm getting mighty frustrated with the out of date appointment calendars that are allegedly there to help schedule appointments.  

Have you tried ARC?  I called them up and had my booster and my husband's booster scheduled for the next day.  When we got there we both told them we had asthma and got a full Moderna booster instead of the half shot booster that people without pre-existing conditions are/were getting (don't know if that's changed).  

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I know more people coming down with it now than I have in all the other waves combined.  

I think if you have not had this one, you are going to get it.  Which might be a good thing since 75-80% of NYC is vaccinated, so that might mean incredibly mild cases that do not cause strain on the healthcare system.  Of course, they will still ship down the worst cases from the less vaccinated burbs and other places to NYC.  

NYC hospitalization rate does not seem to be following spike in cases as it did with Delta.  GLTA.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data-totals.page

35 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I refuse to grow up.  But why the hostility?  I wasn't making an argument, just noting that it isn't all anti-science nut jobs.  Do you think the months without masks helped contain the spread?

No, I don’t think that. The hostility is because I’m tired of the same asinine and debunked arguments being rehashed like they have merit. I don’t have the time nor inclination to explain reality to you. I’m sorry the scientists and government didn’t foresee the Delta wave, and thus had to reinstate mask mandates. I’m sorry the government didn’t foresee how necessary mask wearing was to contain transmission. It doesn’t make them liars. It doesn’t make them untrustworthy. It means an emerging novel virus is a dynamic situation and new information changes things. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Our distribution center in Durham has 45 employees. All vaxxed. 26 so far in the last two weeks have tested positive. I work from home, so I got exposed somewhere else, but it's still a stunning number. And I'm pretty sure that same story is playing out all over the place.

down here in 90% fully vaxxed, summery australia its spreading like wildfire and for the first time in a long time hospitalisations are rising. 

it may be our saving grace. lets get it and move past it!? trying to be optimistic here people

wonder when we will get locked down again. or as I like to say put back into the "Reclassification as an Invalid" program

bart-bartscott.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

No, I don’t think that. The hostility is because I’m tired of the same asinine and debunked arguments being rehashed like they have merit. I don’t have the time nor inclination to explain reality to you. I’m sorry the scientists and government didn’t foresee the Delta wave, and thus had to reinstate mask mandates. I’m sorry the government didn’t foresee how necessary mask wearing was to contain transmission. It doesn’t make them liars. It doesn’t make them untrustworthy. It means an emerging novel virus is a dynamic situation and new information changes things. 

You don't have time to explain reality to me?  I need to grow up?  

You're not beginning this exchange in a manner that leads me to think it would be productive.  You're already right, and I'm somehow an immature person who doesn't live in reality.  All because I pointed out that there were mixed messages which didn't help things.  I'm not alone in that thought.  I could pull up more, but what's the point?  I'm sorry as well that Delta wasn't predicted, but there were already concerns with the CDC saying the vaccinated could quit wearing masks.   Lastly, take your sanctimonious and completely misplaced superior than thou attitude and shove it up your ass.  Go fuck yourself.

9 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

One can hope. 

I'd hold off on the optimism, Dr. Gottlieb.  This is clearly the 4th wave shown on that graph, and on 2 of the other 3, fatalities lagged "new cases" by an amount of time not all that different than where we are right now.  None of the other 3 waves have shot up this fast, so it's probably not wise to lean too much on prior data in predicting future trends.

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Again, please point to where I err in listing facts and where I even make an argument. How does my post constitute sophistry? Believe it or not, I abhor that I might engage in such a thing.

If I read things into your post that weren’t intended I apologize. I probably should avoid Covid threads for a while 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

You don't have time to explain reality to me?  I need to grow up?  

You're not beginning this exchange in a manner that leads me to think it would be productive.  You're already right, and I'm somehow an immature person who doesn't live in reality.  All because I pointed out that there were mixed messages which didn't help things.  I'm not alone in that thought.  I could pull up more, but what's the point?  I'm sorry as well that Delta wasn't predicted, but there were already concerns with the CDC saying the vaccinated could quit wearing masks.   Lastly, take your sanctimonious and completely misplaced superior than thou attitude and shove it up your ass.  Go fuck yourself.

Thank you supporting your opinion with an opinion piece from March 2020 before studies emerged about mask efficacy and asymptomatic transmission. I’m sorry I hurt your feelings. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Thank you supporting your opinion with an opinion piece from March 2020 before studies emerged about mask efficacy and asymptomatic transmission. I’m sorry I hurt your feelings. 

Crazy.  An opinion piece during a time in which messages were confusing.  And about opinions.  Hmmm.  My feelings aren't hurt. But it hurts my head that you think you were the one dealing with reality and logic. 

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

No, they were closed (or their covid line was closed) when I called.  I'll try in the AM.  Thanks.

Randalls had plenty of slots for all COVID vaccines available in America. First time I'd be in one of those shitholes in about four or five years. Worth it for the mRNA tho.

Mixed messaging isn't ideal, and it would've been better had there been one message from the federal government, using a nonpolitical messenger, that said "this is a fluid situation and our advice and strategy are going to be changing as new shit comes to light."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bookman said:

Mixed messaging isn't ideal, and it would've been better had there been one message from the federal government, using a nonpolitical messenger, that said "this is a fluid situation and our advice and strategy are going to be changing as new shit comes to light."

LOlz.  Like that's even possible now.

4 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

It would have been quite easy if certain self-absorbed dumbasses in leadership had taken this seriously from the beginning and not turned this into another battle in some culture war.

One side politicized it.  One side only... the other side just cares so fucking much.  LOLz.   There's plenty of blame to spread around.  The politics over substance is still happening.  We can't get out of our own fucking way without trying to monetize a policy or power trip on our political opponents.

one-ping-only.png

Edited by slorch

3 hours ago, Bookman said:

There were no mixed messages. The message changed due to new information. A scientist is a nonpolitical messenger. People keep trying to rewrite the narrative for political reasons. 

edit: I am wrong. There were mixed messages. I forgot about the crazy ass President saying it will go away, don’t worry, it’s like the flu, use bleach, mask don’t work and a million other crazy fucking things. 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, trauma babe said:

Randalls had plenty of slots for all COVID vaccines available in America. First time I'd be in one of those shitholes in about four or five years. Worth it for the mRNA tho.

First Randalls appointment I was able to get was January 5th.  I'm calling them daily, though, just in case one frees up.  I got a Tarrytown Pharmacy slot on Dec 28, so that's better.

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

There were no mixed messages. The message changed due to new information. A scientist is a nonpolitical messenger. People keep trying to rewrite the narrative for political reasons. 

edit: I am wrong. There were mixed messages. I forgot about the crazy ass President saying it will go away, don’t worry, it’s like the flu, use bleach, mask don’t work and a million other crazy fucking things. 

I do think there were some mixed messages from Fauci and other public health officials, but it's really hard to remember accurately given how fucking much there was coming out all at the same time. If I recall correctly, I think the very initial message was mostly not to use masks because medical professionals need them most, but pretty quickly we started seeing messaging from Fauci and others about how they didn't know if most types of masks were even effective. Fauci later said something like that he had said that to prevent people from buying up all the masks, so my best guess is that it was both a somewhat honest statement that we didn't have great data on the effectiveness of various types of masks but also calculated to slow down the rush to buy masks. The sequencing of all this is somewhat hazy now and it's a hard thing to quickly google.

I think what is indisputable is that public health officials believe (probably correctly) that simple messaging is extremely important and tend to shape their public statements with an eye to how most people will receive their messages. The problem is they don't really understand most people. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Have to think that with the sheer numbers of infection from Omicron that it will begin to overwhelm ICUs soon, regardless of how much less lethal it is. It's spreading too fast compared to past waves, it's going to find plenty of weak hosts to wreck.

If the monoclonal antibodies treatment Regeneron doesn't work or has significantly lower efficacy against Omicron, then a lot more unvaccinated folks are gonna die from it. That treatment has saved a lot of unvaccinated lives, since it can be administered and take effect while someone is infected and fighting the virus.

Still too early to tell, but I doubt this is the last big wave.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Can you elaborate on the manner in which Democrats politicized the virus?

Are you a masochist or something? Where do you think you'll get arguing with slorch? You'd have a better chance of persuading Johnny Sack to become a communist than of making slorch change his mind about literally anything.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Are you a masochist or something? Where do you think you'll get arguing with slorch? You'd have a better chance of persuading Johnny Sack to become a communist than of making slorch change his mind about literally anything.

False.  My stance on police accountability has changed through the years, much in part due to discussions on this board.

If y’all don’t want to recognize bullshit social policy/ spending in the name of ‘safety,’ it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen..  The good guys/ bad guys routine has also contributed to the ability of the right wing nuts to even have an audience.

15 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I'm not trying to change his mind, I'm trying to learn what the right wing echo chamber sees as "politicization" of the virus by Democrats.  slorch may take goofy stances and ignore contrary data, but in general he doesn't troll.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not trying to change his mind, I'm trying to learn what the right wing echo chamber sees as "politicization" of the virus by Democrats.  slorch may take goofy stances and ignore contrary data, but in general he doesn't troll.

Answered in post above yours. I said early on in the whole pandemic that with the power and influence being grabbed by people across the political spectrum, that this shit will never end. It appears that is absolutely true.

9 minutes ago, slorch said:

Answered in post above yours. I said early on in the whole pandemic that with the power and influence being grabbed by people across the political spectrum, that this shit will never end. It appears that is absolutely true.

I would appreciate concrete examples of people grabbing power and influence, particularly Democrats.

Can you elaborate on the manner in which Democrats politicized the virus?
They intentionally released a hoax virus to crater the US economy and ruin Trump's chance at re-election, which he actually won btw.

They allowed career epidemiologist to opine on the fake virus while ignoring the real science of HCQ, Ivermectim and natural immunity.

Horrific, really horrific
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Correct.  We made them do it.

(Well, I'm not a Democrat, but I play one on TV.)

In all honesty and no snark, this is the most bullshit thing they do.  "If you just wouldn't be so 'woke' and annoying, we wouldn't have to vote for this absolute shitbag human being that in no way really personifies our real feelings!!1!!"

This is how they excuse what they do.  It's yet another way to avoid responsibility in the party of personal responsibility. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2