CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

50 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yeah, that is my question. Will at home tests count for international travel? 

The Abbott tests seem to, based on what I've seen from Delta and other airlines, so long as you follow the instructions during the process. It beats scrambling around whatever city you're in for a test. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

It depends on the type of at home test.  They could distribute PCR tests.  In NJ, you can request an at home PCR spit test from the state, and they overnight it to you, and you overnight it back to the lab.  But if you're talking about stuff like the Binax tests, who knows how reliable it is and not sure those are worthwhile.

My Binax test picked up COVID last Tuesday and my symptoms started the day before.  Because I was positive, I immediately self isolated.  No one I had extended close contact with tested positive afterwards, so in the clear.  However, Omicron is moving like wildfire through tons of folks.  I now know more people in the last 2 weeks that have come down with COVID than I did the entire rest of the Pandemic.

1 minute ago, GopherRock said:

The Abbott tests seem to, based on what I've seen from Delta and other airlines, so long as you follow the instructions during the process. It beats scrambling around whatever city you're in for a test. 

Only the ones you buy through eMed that include the proctored test.  There is a specific label that they have to have.  And that is ONLY for re-entry into the US.  They will not count for entry into France or Italy.

58 minutes ago, justhookit said:

No, I shouldn’t. Jeezus Christ.

You have symptoms, therefore you should go get tested.  It is incredibly selfish and irresponsible to not get a test.  

Further, if you are traveling, depending on your international destination, you would need to test.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

If you want to know why we have a Ledge, and why as a nation, we don’t recover from this plunge into hateful idiocy….that story is a perfect, irrefutable piece of evidence.

As a nation - and maybe as a species - we don’t survive this. Weaponized stupidity is a killer.

Oh, I don't know. This whole episode of decaying civilization has happened before. We survived the collapse of Mesopotamia, of the Persian Empire, of the Roman Empire, of the Holy Roman Empire, genocide all over the European, African, Asian, and Colonial American maps.

The Dark Ages lasted a few centuries, but they did, in fact, end. If we can avoid the use of nukes, our species has good odds of long-term survival, in spite of our current nihilistic, depraved stupidity. Our great-great grandchildren will be the ones who rebuild.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

The first Omicron death in America had a previous COVID infection.

Can't wait for the "natural immunity" crowd to spin this one

14 hours ago, workswithseed said:

lol at Trump Jew, but that looks pretty fascist to me. "Papers please."

get the fuck out of here with that shit. it is NOTHING like "papers please." the law is that in order to be in public you have to be vaccinated and show proof. that is a public health measure. it could not be any more different than "prove you belong here"

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Can't wait for the "natural immunity" crowd to spin this one

get the fuck out of here with that shit. it is NOTHING like "papers please." the law is that in order to be in public you have to be vaccinated and show proof. that is a public health measure. it could not be any more different than "prove you belong here"

Fuck cops, dude. 

29 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Fuck cops, dude. 

Video isn’t sufficient to support your conclusion. I’m assuming the dude was asked to leave, and he refused. In which case, the cops were doing what I’d expect. There were a lot of cops, though, which seems a waste of resources.

Lot of hubbub at Pantera.

A news blurb on . . . The Today Show?  can't remember . . . said these are the 3 manufacturers that struggle picking up omicron with their antigen tests:

* Applied DNA Sciences

* Meridian Bioscience

* Tide Laboratories

I have no idea how strong the data are to back up that claim, nor do I know the brand names they manufacture under.  Do with it what you will.  It's worth exactly what you paid for it.

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

You have symptoms, therefore you should go get tested.  It is incredibly selfish and irresponsible to not get a test.  

Further, if you are traveling, depending on your international destination, you would need to test.  

I wake up sneezing and congested every day this time of year. Thanks for the advice, Doc. Furthermore, I haven’t been around anyone with Covid and it’s not spiking where I live. Why in your opinion should I get tested? Sorry you got it.

1 minute ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Has anyone been able to get hold of home tests in Austin? No stock of Binax anywhere that I can find.

I have found the QuickVue tests at some CVS.  Search the website and check in store availability.  Not sure how reliable the in store availability is, but it was accurate when I ran out yesterday. No Binax anywhere I saw. 

https://www.cvs.com/shop/content/rapid-antigen-tests?icid=shop-covid-education-lp-zone2-link2-rapid-antigen

• Hook 'Em 1

is it weird we haven't had any test? my family is fully vaxxed (wife and i boosted, even) and the boys have their two shots. we are a pfizer family. 

we haven't had occasion to test, but we are braving the covid fog by driving to colorado after christmas for some wolf creek skiing. reckon it's a good outdoor activity and the kids need to have something. 

should i get some tests or keep riding the lightning?

1 hour ago, Willfully Horn said:

Video isn’t sufficient to support your conclusion. I’m assuming the dude was asked to leave, and he refused. In which case, the cops were doing what I’d expect. There were a lot of cops, though, which seems a waste of resources.

Lot of hubbub at Pantera.

I may disagree with you eating at Panera, but I will fight to the death for your right to do so!

Schwartz-Y-Patrick-Henry.jpg

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

I wake up sneezing and congested every day this time of year. Thanks for the advice, Doc. Furthermore, I haven’t been around anyone with Covid and it’s not spiking where I live. Why in your opinion should I get tested? Sorry you got it.

You came on a message board and asked.  I think if you have symptoms, you should get tested.  It is prudent.  If you knew the answer already, why the fuck did you ask?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Has anyone been able to get hold of home tests in Austin? No stock of Binax anywhere that I can find.

Bought a 20-pack this morning at East Side Medicine Shop (38.5 & Airport) while my son was getting boosted.  $100.  I figure with omicron spiking and 7 people under my roof, 20 tests won't last through the spring.

• Hook 'Em 3

I don't understand not getting tested if you're sick during a pandemic.
Agreed.
To bring some nuance to the thread, if Justhookit is confident it's just allergies why bother. I've been tested probably ten times since this started, when required when leaving Costa Rica three times, but also out of caution when visiting family. Kid gets a cold and he gets tested and isolates until we know for sure.. Its great peace of mind and assuages any guilt I might have.. My ladyfriend and I have not tested when we are confident it's just allergies, and we have not been wrong yet. I have masked up since late Feb 2020 and haven't been sick in two years. I have also been to Cali 5 times, CO 3 times, NYC, Omaha, outdoor Concerts all over. Depended on vaccines, numbers and the amount of inherent risk we had at the time. I also stayed the fuck home and did remote learning when the hospital systems were a shit show for a long freaking time. You can be extremely careful and have measured risk and still have a good time.

Planning to go skiing next week unless data proves it a terrible idea. Vaxxed and boosted with this surge assumed when I timed our boosters. If hospitals in Seattle start filling up with Fully vaxxed we will bail and stay here and mountain bike and fish
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Made the mistake of checking out the DT: Texas only Covid thread. It's a fucking free-for-all of insidious stupidity with (I'm sure) one of the regulars creating an account solely for the purpose of creating a meme of Penelope's photo, because he's too chicken shit to do it under his own username.

Take note of the posters who gave it a hook'em or a heart. Deplorable isn't a strong enough word for those pieces of shit.

If you haven't seen it, here's the link: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looks like we have our first positive Covid case in the immediate family. Wife has been battling congestion since last Thursday (nothing new, she usually comes down with a cold once a yr. Ironically, last year with masking she was cold free all year). She and our college freshmen got their booster shots on Sunday. Wife had a single dose of J&J with a Modern booster.

Last night we rcvd notice that 3 players on our other daughter's highschool soccer team tested positive for Covid. It prompted me to swab everyone in the house and send it off for rt-PCR testing. The wife had picked up some home kits on a whim and decided she'd test with it this morning after I left to drop off all the swabs at FedEx. I'm in sales for a diagnostic lab and I test at least once per week per office rules, so I've been the family guinea pig for outbreaks within the house. Right now, only the wife has any symptoms, and was the only one to test positive with the home kit.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 4

53 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Made the mistake of checking out the DT: Texas only Covid thread. It's a fucking free-for-all of insidious stupidity with (I'm sure) one of the regulars creating an account solely for the purpose of creating a meme of Penelope's photo, because he's too chicken shit to do it under his own username.

Take note of the posters who gave it a hook'em or a heart. Deplorable isn't a strong enough word for those pieces of shit.

It is interesting that somehow this is the political thread while that thread is pure and apolitical as everything in the DT.  

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

The DT assholes have managed to make the DT Covid thread political with their supposedly non political bullshit. Yeah right. They’re too scared to post it here. 

Meanwhile this thread has got a little boring. Oh well. 

The DT is a disgrace when it comes to covid.  Or really anything that can be warped to be political, which doesn't take much these days.  

• Hook 'Em 2

The achievement is the result of almost two years of work on the virus. The Army lab received its first DNA sequencing of the COVID-19 virus in early 2020. Very early on, Walter Reed’s infectious diseases branch decided to focus on making a vaccine that would work against not just the existing strain but all of its potential variants as well.

Walter Reed’s Spike Ferritin Nanoparticle COVID-19 vaccine, or SpFN, completed animal trials earlier this year with positive results. Phase 1 of human trials, which tested the vaccine against Omicron and the other variants, wrapped up this month, again with positive results that are undergoing final review, Dr. Kayvon Modjarrad, director of Walter Reed’s infectious diseases branch, said in an exclusive interview with Defense One.

https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2021/12/us-army-creates-single-vaccine-effective-against-all-covid-sars-variants/360089/

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Anti-vaxxers relying on access to monoclonal antibody treatments to keep them from death's door might want to think again:

Hospitals, drug companies and Biden administration officials are racing to address one of the Omicron variant’s biggest threats: Two of the three monoclonal antibody treatments that doctors have depended on to keep Covid-19 patients from becoming seriously ill do not appear to thwart the latest version of the coronavirus.

The one such treatment that is still likely to work against Omicron is now so scarce that many doctors and hospitals have already run through their supplies.

There may be some hope a little later though if they don't get sick over the holidays:

The one monoclonal antibody treatment that has performed well against Omicron in laboratory experiments is also the most recently authorized: sotrovimab, made by GlaxoSmithKline and Vir Biotechnology and cleared in May.

Already in high demand even before Omicron arose, the supply of sotrovimab is very limited for now. But the situation is likely to improve somewhat in the coming weeks. The Biden administration is in talks with GlaxoSmithKline about securing more doses to be delivered by early next year, the administration official said.

Regulators are also expected this week to authorize antiviral pills from Pfizer and Merck, the first two products in a new class of Covid treatments, according to two senior administration officials.

Both pills can stave off severe illness in the high-risk patients that until now might have received antibody treatments. Pfizer’s treatment, known as Paxlovid, is especially promising, as it has been found to be highly effective — and likely to work against Omicron.

Supplies of these antivirals will be limited at first, but even modest amounts may help ease the strain on doctors who had been relying until now on monoclonal antibodies to treat Covid patients.

Still, Dr. Bob Wachter, chairman of the Department of Medicine at University of California, San Francisco, warned that limited availability of antibody treatments might come as a shock to patients who assumed they would be a reliable, potent treatment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/21/health/covid-monoclonal-antibodies-omicron.html

Happy to report that I now spend regular office-hour working days in the fantastical world of queer sexual health, where I talk about fucking all day, my patients trust me, are grateful for the care I provide, and I don't have to charge them a fucking cent for it. 

Yet you failed to provide a link to where we can read your stories, in full detail.

Tsk, tsk.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, bolverk said:

The poster who posted it posted joined a few hours before.  His username is Slice. He is either a sock or someone we crowdsourced.  That is his one and only post.  I encourage us negging him the fuck out of here.  Also, Bravo.  That guy is the worst.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

13 hours ago, justhookit said:

I’ve got pretty bad allergies and this time of year I’m pretty sure I would need to do a home test every day. I had my annual physical last week at the doctor. I sneezed twice (with my mask on) while I was there so they made me do a Covid test. It was negative. I’m congested as shit right now as I type this. Should I test again? 500 million tests sounds great but I’m gonna need 100 just for me. Thank god I’m (hopefully able to) leave the country next month.

Yeah, I usually have a big allergy attack twice a year when the seasons change that has about a 75% chance of turning into a cold through congestion.

I haven't had that big allergy attack or the corresponding cold since last year.  Would kind of freak me out if I did, especially before tests were widely available.

We mostly stay home and wear masks when we don't.  My recreation, biking, is more or less solitary or at least distanced.

9 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

The DT assholes have managed to make the DT Covid thread political with their supposedly non political bullshit. Yeah right. They’re too scared to post it here. 

Meanwhile this thread has got a little boring. Oh well. 

What the fuck do you expect when you get negged for posting differing views. I posted my God damned vaxx card and  still got negged because I am opposed to mask mandates at this stage and think they’re counterproductive. Don’t bitch about the DT if y’all can’t refrain from negging.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 5

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

What the fuck do you expect when you get negged for posting differing views. I posted my God damned vaxx card and  still got negged because I am opposed to mask mandates at this stage and think they’re counterproductive. Don’t bitch about the DT if y’all can’t refrain from negging.

I don't neg you for having differing views. I neg you for being a little bitch who whines about getting negged.

Oh also, because you're a fascist.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

We neg you because you are a whiny cunt.  Always have been, always will be.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1