CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, Llano Estacado said:

So shame her and dunk on Trumptards too. Everyone skipped right to step 2 on this thread.

it was the trumptards weighing in on this.  and you can't "dunk on them."  they run and hide from facts they don't like, spending most of their time in their DT safe space..  I am not a Pelosi fan, but there is a pretty obvious amount of disingenuousness in their gleeful postings and saying things like "masks for thee."  I'm no Christian but I sure like the saying about taking the log out of your own eye before pointing out the splinter in your neighbor's eye.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

The WH is playing the odds; open things up and talk up the herd immunity mantra on their networks like Fox, OANN, etc.

The CFR won’t reach the highest numbers until after November. If Trump wins re-election, then he figures it’s worth it. If he loses, the high counts can be blamed on Biden because that works well for the GOP. (Either way Trump doesn’t care about the deaths). 

In a typical year about half of the population gets a flu shot. So, this year, assume that it will be slightly higher. Will still be flu fatalities and COVID deaths, but I speculate that it would be December and January to see the grimmest outcome if all states just dropped restrictions. (I don’t think they will, but unless one bars travel, what can one do?)

2 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Just a quick reminder, this is a political event, on government property, at taxpayer expense, with no social distancing.  But go on with your Nancy Pelosi got her hair cut, it's end times, straw man.

4MS65WZCWZAGKA4XMEPR4A26BM.jpg

Don’t worry. We are about 3 weeks away from packing thousands of people in college football stadiums in a pandemic. What could possibly go wrong?

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, lemonlime said:

She was wrong to get a hair cut.  Period.  And I'm far more outraged but the GOP's endangering the lives of millions and cavalier disregard of 180,000 deaths, and their blatant hypocrisy, than I am by Pelosi's haircut.  Jared was fine with Covid, so long as deaths were in blue states to use against blue governors, while my little sister in NYC had Covid, and still has issues months later.  So, yeah, I don't want to hear about Pelosi's stupid haircut by people who cheered on that nonsense.

Here’s what I don’t get. She can’t afford to have a stylist come to her house? It’s a pandemic. Yes, it’s probably more expensive, but there should be plenty of professional hair and makeup people in California willing to do a house call. 

29 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Just a quick reminder, this is a political event, on government property, at taxpayer expense, with no social distancing.  But go on with your Nancy Pelosi got her hair cut, it's end times, straw man.

4MS65WZCWZAGKA4XMEPR4A26BM.jpg

that emo with the black earring doesn't look like someone that would want to attend the RNC

14 hours ago, Llano Estacado said:

Pelosi’s district is masked outside haircuts only currently.

Her official twitter account just condemned the RNC for not wearing masks and practicing social distancing including the line that his message is “please put me ahead of your child...cause it’s better politics for me.”

There was a time that this board would have absolutely criticized that hypocrisy from an elected official, especially the SotH. I’m no Dotard, (but now fully expect y’all to rip me for expecting better than the absolute minimum from our political leaders.)

That was a time before republicans put a president in office that is running a criminal syndicate to steal billions from Americans while colluding with a foreign leader to allow kill bounties on US soldiers. Who is also actively pushing the US towards an authoritarian police state where rule of law is ignored and prejudice reigns. 

So yeah, don't give a flying fuck about an old woman getting a fucking hair cut. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Here’s what I don’t get. She can’t afford to have a stylist come to her house? It’s a pandemic. Yes, it’s probably more expensive, but there should be plenty of professional hair and makeup people in California willing to do a house call. 

Same reason she's not wearing a mask... everyone in Washington sucks. They make rules for everyone else. They live by a different set of rules that start and end with "me, me, me".

7 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Same reason she's not wearing a mask... everyone in Washington sucks. They make rules for everyone else. They live by a different set of rules that start and end with "me, me, me".

She wears a neck gaiter/scarf as her face covering.  She frequently has it down when she's walking through the capitol halls and not in crowded situations.  It looks like she pulled it down while she was moving rooms.

Also, RIP that salon owner staying in business now.  Nobody in SF is ever going there again after the owner did a prime spot on Fox.

Edited by Bateshorn

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Why doesn't dotard run with this?  It's actual science and actual good news.

He would rather throw shit against the wall like plasma treatments and once again, doctors and scientists have to be like, "again, no, that's not a thing."

I just don't understand.  There's a win!  Take it!  Fucking.  Moron.

dotard don't run.  

I'll take it, but reducing mortality in "severely ill" patients is a Pyrrhic victory when better alternatives prevent advancing to severe illness and hospitalization in the first place.  And that RECOVERY trial overdosed its extremely ill subjects, possibly fatally,  in a particular treatment arm where they inexplicably dosed subjects in the first 24hrs an amount equal to what every other study gives over 5 days combined.  it was shameful, or worse ☹️ 

42 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

We aren’t supposed to talk about messaging and optics of SotH breaking covid restrictions for a haircut because the orange man remains in office. Rabble out front should have told ya.

With the Democrats you're going to stub your toe from time to time. With Donald Trump you'll have both your legs amputated below the knee. But at least you'll never stub your toe. 

23 minutes ago, F250 said:

Which one of you shops at the Cedar Park HEB?

Yeah, she's either insane, a grifter (see the fundraising she's done for her "cause"), or....BOTH.  Definitely BOTH.  Shit, just read her shirt -- she's a nutbar anti-masker who is actually going out with the purpose of making a scene and fake crying on camera.

Grift -- it's the on-brand American way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Ana, show me a single study in the history of ever that dosed 2,400mg in 24 hrs.

Spoiler

It ain't used for amoebic dysentery.  Now, probably with the advice of legal counsel, RECOVERY investigators won't share their methodology on how they arrived at near lethal dosing for their deadly RECOVERY trial, probably because it reveals they *confused* it with a similarly sounding drug used to treat amoebic dysentery.  shit happens, huh.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

What does that have to do with dexamethasone  And other steroids clown? Hcq has rotted your brain. 

Another dodge.  Shocked.  Anyone could respond with the flip a coin and forever be less wrong than you.  What gives?  It's amusing to say the least. 

I've got no issue with dexamethasone at all.  Unlike other safe and inexpensive early interventions, unfortunately there's not any evidence yet to support its use in the early outpatient disease state.  Since it's available orally, it stands to reason it should be looked at in that capacity.  However corticosteroids like dexamethasone have broad effects on innate and adaptive immunity, so getting it too soon might have unintended consequences that need to be considered first.

But yeah, RECOVERY fucked up with their hcq dosing, likely killed some people (you disagree?), and as a result mislead the world.

1 minute ago, triplehorn said:

Another dodge.  Shocked. 

We're talking about steroids in severe disease you fucking clown. You know, shit that actually has demonstrated ability to save lives. Your fixation on HCQ is pathological at this point. Stop clowning yourself.

The RECOVERY HCQ dosing is an outlier.  I can't speak to the decision that were made.  The steroid arm of the trial was the focus of the point being made, but you just can't separate yourself from your precious. RECOVERY is one trial of many failed HCQ trials. Move on. It's over. Go home clown. 

a65da3362ed158b2299fe58f45c52c53.gif

Just now, HenryJames said:

You’re citing an ophthalmologist who let his medical license expire and was trading bitcoins when this all started as your expert on this.

But somebody said something on twitter so it must be true.  Triple has a real strong track record with sifting out that sort of stuff.  

5 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

You’re citing an ophthalmologist who let his medical license expire and was trading bitcoins when this all started as your expert on this.

A French news outlet published an interview with a RECOVERY principle investigator.  The PI referenced amoebic dysentery dosing schedules as informing their dosing in a treatment arm of REVOVERY.  The drugs sound very similar, but the result of such a mix-up likely could finished off a number of patients, and misinformed the world at a very early stage.  Now they won't disclose their dosing methodology.  Just the facts.

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

interesting timing...

gee, what a surprise.  the cdc, recently under fire for bowing to political pressure, essentially "announces" they might be releasing a vaccine right before the election.

the announcement here is key.  not the vaccine.  there won't be a vaccine in oct, or nov, or any time in 2020.  but the announcement is all he cares about.  comey announced hillary clinton investigation.  trump withheld aid to ukraine while he tried to force them to announce an investigation into joe biden.

carnival barkers only care about the announcement.  actual results take effort and time and work and that's not really what trump does here.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

the announcement here is key.  not the vaccine.  there won't be a vaccine in oct, or nov, or any time in 2020.

I think that we see an emergency use authorization for health care professionals and maybe some select high risk groups.  I don't think that is unreasonable by end of 2020.  Some modest real world deployment gives us more opportunity to detect safety signals early on before a wider roll out. 

3 hours ago, F250 said:

Which one of you shops at the Cedar Park HEB?

Pro tip:  the WalMart on 620 near 183 has curbside slots available daily.  The Randalls at Jollyville/Braker as well as the one on Quinlan Park near the lake have curbside slots available daily.  Neither charges a fee for orders over $30-$35.  In particular, the Randalls near the dam will almost always fill a curbside order within 90 minutes, even if one's official "slot" is 4-5 hours out.

Viral Mommy can surely get her Takis, Bubba Burgers, Suave shampoo and tampons at any of these stores, any day of the week, within 1-3 hours, no mask required.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I think that we see an emergency use authorization for health care professionals and maybe some select high risk groups.  I don't think that is unreasonable by end of 2020.  Some modest real world deployment gives us more opportunity to detect safety signals early on before a wider roll out. 

i think if this was a non-election year (or trump wasn't president) then we would see everything take its normal course.  the "late oct" timeline for the heads-up to the states here is not a coincidence.  having some somewhat proven-effective vaccine ready to distribute to states by late october is 100% unreasonable based on what every expert has said since march.

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i think if this was a non-election year (or trump wasn't president) then we would see everything take its normal course.  the "late oct" timeline for the heads-up to the states here is not a coincidence.  having some somewhat proven-effective vaccine ready to distribute to states by late october is 100% unreasonable based on what every expert has said since march.

I agree that Oct seems aggressive, but you gave till the end of 2020. I think that a limited use authorization, essentially a phase 3b real world roll out is likely in the cards. Normal course is like 5-15 years.  There is no normal here.  I get the political overlay and concerns. Fauci's apparently now signalling that interim result read outs could result in determinations by end of year. I don't think it's far fetched at all to suggest that we will see some form of roll out by end of year. I expect it.  With broad roll out over 1-3Q 2021.

enough with all the fucking disclaimers and fine print.  just call it a "limited trial that's likely to fail" and be done with it.

we're not going to see any type of effective vaccine this year.  and when i say "we" i mean the general public, not isolated double-blind closed-door testing while we wait for results and possible vague good news and all the other bullshit.  the cdc is telling the states to get ready for distribution.  that implies something effective that is ready to be produced and distributed, even if it's just to small sets of those in need.  nothing like that is realistic in the next 50 days (late oct) or next 120 days (end of year).

even the announcement itself is littered with trapdoor language.  when was the last time something that said "as soon as" actually happened that soon?

45 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

A French news outlet published an interview with a RECOVERY principle investigator.  The PI referenced amoebic dysentery dosing schedules as informing their dosing in a treatment arm of REVOVERY.  The drugs sound very similar, but the result of such a mix-up likely could finished off a number of patients, and misinformed the world at a very early stage.  Now they won't disclose their dosing methodology.  Just the facts.

This is from the study protocol, Page 4, beginning at Line 58:

The 4-aminoquinoline concentrations required to inhibit SARS-CoV-2 replication in vitro are relatively high by comparison to the free plasma concentrations observed in the prevention and treatment of malaria.

They used a loading dose plus high doses to get what they calculated as the levels needed to inhibit the virus. The key to getting effective kill rates with antimicrobials is getting sufficient drug levels to the target, while avoiding excess toxicity. It seems like a reasonable approach for a hospital study with adequate monitoring in the context of severely ill patients.