CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Just now, washparkhorn said:

You are getting there, but still wide of the mark. 

The rate of infection among those "essential workers"  keeping the doors open for their bosses hits poorer neighborhoods harder - as was found early in the pandemic. Simple economics. Someone has to work so Trump Mamas and walruses can get their 10,000 calories a day. 

Or you know, people. I guess Democrats don't eat?! 

What if....it didn't really matter what politicians did or didn't say and or personally do, and the notion of expecting that people in all their glorious different shapes, sizes, colors, personalities and intellect were going to be able to buckle down and do anything consistently en masse for almost a year was nothing but a pipe dream.  I tend to think politics gets too much of the blame.  People are animals and act accordingly.  Sometimes self interested, sometimes caring, sometimes bravely, sometimes cowardly, sometimes smartly, sometimes stupidly but never ever....consistently.  

Edited by Surly Bevo

22 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Usually younger people who will be very okay if they get the virus. 

What about the people they spread it to? Why are you always so short sighted? I had a friend who is 29 in Houston Methodist for 6 days over it.

you get more outraged over a bum setting a trash dispenser on fire blocks away from your apartment than this, which actually kills people.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

What about the people they spread it to? Why are you always so short sighted? I had a friend who is 29 in Houston Methodist for 6 days over it.

you get more outraged over a bum setting a trash dispenser on fire blocks away from your apartment than this, which actually kills people.

The fact that some people still can’t understand that sick people spread it to others is mind blowing.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Then don't let workers go to work then if that's the problem.

1 minute ago, StassneyHorn said:

“Fuck does asymptomatic mean?”

-Probably you

Hey, do you want people to live or not? You're coming up with the stupid argument that "essential" workers shouldn't be working. Hell, you haven't said shit of what to do with them. Tell me, should people be at work, or not? If not, then how do you feed people? 

4 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Then don't let workers go to work then if that's the problem.

THEY CANT AFFORD NOT TO BC OUR SOCIAL SAFETY NET IS FULL OF HOLES SO THE TOP 1% CAN WRITE OFF THEIR THREE MARTINI LUNCHES AND YACHTS

I hope you’re a troll bc you’re a poorer version of Johnny Sack. Gigantic pieces of shit that don’t deserve half of what they’ve been handed. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 3

Just now, workswithseed said:

Hey, do you want people to live or not? You're coming up with the stupid argument that "essential" workers shouldn't be working. Hell, you haven't said shit of what to do with them. Tell me, should people be at work, or not? If not, then how do you feed people? 

With food.

Fuck off. Fuck off. Fuck off. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Your brain is currently leaking out your ears. You should probably have that looked at.

4 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

With food.

If no one is working, cause we don't want people to get sick, then how do we make food?

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Eat the rich 

I think you're much richer than me, so you might not want to say "Eat the rich," that could come to bite you in the ass. Pun intended.

Edited by workswithseed

I can’t believe this has to be explained yet again, because we’ve already done it a fucking million times, but when we say we should’ve shut the economy down, we don’t literally mean absolutely every person should go home and stay home forever. What we mean is that all nonessential people should go home to help protect the essential people (the people who produce and distribute food, water, power, etc.) whom we need to keep working.

It’s not exactly fucking rocket science.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I can’t believe this has to be explained yet again, because we’ve already done it a fucking million times, but when we say we should’ve shut the economy down, we don’t literally mean absolutely every person should go home and stay home forever. What we mean is that all nonessential people should go home to help protect the essential people (the people who produce and distribute food, water, power, etc.) whom we need to keep working.

Yeah but maskey hurt facey.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

If no one is working, cause we don't want people to get sick, then how do we make food?

I think you're much richer than me, so you might not want to say "Eat the rich," that could come to bite you in the ass. Pun intended.

I think it might be prudent for you to stop posting in this thread for a bit. Folks here are trying to educate you on some things that you do not know as much about as they do. This isn't a they are smarter than you response. Sometimes it's cool to just listen and take in information and not continue to dig a hole just for the sake of not wanting to agree with someone. There is common ground that can be found if you would let go of this stubbornness you show with your posts.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I think it might be prudent for you to stop posting in this thread for a bit. Folks here are trying to educate you on some things that you do not know as much about as they do. This isn't a they are smarter than you response. Sometimes it's cool to just listen and take in information and not continue to dig a hole just for the sake of not wanting to agree with someone. There is common ground that can be found if you would let go of this stubbornness you show with your posts.

We’ve been trying with this kid for months because he really doesn’t seem like a troll, but there is some really basic shit he just absolutely refuses to get.

Hey, I guess all of a sudden the democrats in SoCal just didn't believe in the virus apparently. That makes sense.

Be better than this. I'm not saying don't be right wing, that's your perogative. But don't say something far out there, get called on it, then pivot and deflect. You know as well as I do that everyone here dragged Newsom for what he did. You also damned fuckin well know that three mayors being hypocrites doesn't even scratch the surface of the cultural damage that the GOPs denial and barrage of anti science has created.

I don't think you're a bad poster and I think you try to at least be up in it and expose yourself to other ideas which is a good trait. Don't turn into a purely intellectual dishonest *launches a grenade of stupid bullshit then runs away or changes the subject* guy.

Think about what you're posting. You know your assertion that Adler and Newsom breaking protocol did more damage than the GOP did was bad. I don't know why you started down that road.

I know this board often dogpiles if you back off of a position, which is toxic. But sometimes it's okay to do if you know your point was dumb.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I'm sorry, then what does this mean to you? She wasn't saying anything like what you're saying at all. She actually said after my statement that "essential" workers are mostly younger people. You're moving the goal post here.

30 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

43 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Yep. Trump throws superspreader events for 3 months but I’m sure Gavin newsome was the real problem. 

Pales in comparison with all the protests, riots, family gatherings, etc. for 9 months.

Face it, the dumbass spreaders are from everywhere regardless of politics, but keep on chokin’ that chicken. 

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

We’ve been trying with this kid for months because he really doesn’t seem like a troll, but there is some really basic shit he just absolutely refuses to get.

Honestly I believe some of it is just pure stubbornness. I think we all did this at one point or another and refused to listen. It's up to him to receive the information and then go fact check it to see if it is right. You get no argument from me on anything that is said, but someone who feels like they are pushed into a corner is going to keep trying to swing their way out. 

I'm sorry, then what does this mean to you? She wasn't saying anything like what you're saying at all. She actually said after my statement that "essential" workers are mostly younger people. You're moving the goal post here.

I don’t speak for her, so I’m not moving any goalposts. But it seems pretty fucking obvious that her point was that, even if many essential workers are young and less prone to being seriously harmed or killed if they catch covid, they can also spread it to other people for whom covid poses a higher risk.

For fuck’s sake, how do you not understand any of this shit yet?

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

@workswithseed 

@Armybrat

I don't know of any national count of state and local politicians who have contracted the virus, but one can be found for our representatives and senators if y'all are going to try to make the unbelievable case that the Ds are just as bad as the Rs when it comes to taking precautions.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/15/833692377/how-the-coronavirus-has-affected-individual-members-of-congress

Since this thing began in March, 26 GOP House Representatives have had it; 12 Democratic ones have. Since the fall wave began at the beginning of October, 17 GOP have had it and only 6 Dems.

In the Senate, 8 GOP Senators have had it (6 since the beginning of October); 0 Dems have ever had it.

Then, there's the King of the Dipshits himself: Donald Fucking Trump. Now, think of all the unnamed/unknown staffers who were exposed because of their recklessness. But, we can get an idea of some those in Trump's orbit from a couple of his super-spreader events.

October Outbreak

A coronavirus outbreak centered at the White House has exploded in the weeks since President Trump said he tested positive on October 2. At least three dozen people so far are known to have contracted the virus, but the true number is unknown absent a running update from the White House. Instead, reporters have tapped sources and otherwise relied on the infected to come forward in order to gain a fuller portrait of the disaster. The outbreak has grown so vast that it has apparently infected everyone from unnamed federal employees to senior Pentagon leaders. Here is a running tally of those known to be infected.

• First Lady Melania Trump
  • Barron Trump
  • Trish Scalia, the Labor secretary’s wife
  • Four White House staff members
  • Four White House reporters
  • White House security official Crede Bailey
  • USMC General Gary Thomas
  • Senior Trump adviser Stephen Miller
  • Two of the president’s military aides
  • USCG Admiral Charles Ray
  • Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany
  • Pastor Greg Laurie
  • At least two White House communication aides
  • Senior presidential adviser Hope Hicks
  • One member of military working in White House
  • Two members of housekeeping staff
  • White House aide Nick Luna
  • Trump campaign manager Bill Stepien
  • Republican National Committee chairwoman Ronna McDaniel
  • Kellyanne Conway
  • Trump adviser Chris Christie
  • Senator Mike Lee
  • Senator Thom Tillis
  • Senator Ron Johnson
  • Notre Dame president Father John Jenkins

November Outbreak

Weeks after President Trump was hospitalized with COVID-19, another cluster of cases was tied to his administration. This outbreak may have been at least partly connected to the Trump campaign’s Election Night watch party, a gathering of more than 100 people where safety precautions like social distancing and mask wearing were few and far between. In mid-November several people connected to the White House tested positive — although, as during the previous outbreak, the Trump administration refused to provide updates on affected staff. Here is a running tally of people in Trump’s orbit who have contracted the virus in recent weeks.

• Rudy Giuliani
  • White House reporter
  • 130+ Secret Service Officers
  • Jeff Miller
  • Corey Lewandowski
  • RNC Chief of Staff Richard Walters
  • Former campaign aide Healy Baumgardner
  • White House political director Brian Jack
  • Mark Meadows
  • Ben Carson
  • David Bossie

I point out the fall wave in particular because, by then, they were back out campaigning but should've known what precautions to take.

Sometimes, it's inevitable that you might get exposed in public. But more often than not, you're not being precautious.

But, yeah, let's continue to make a stink about how a few high-profile Democrats were hypocrites to deflect from the MASSIVE amount of willful ignorance that's been on full display by GOP politicians since all this shit began.

I don’t doubt at all that the democrat politicians are generally smarter than the Trump cabal, but their constituents don’t reflect that.

Honestly I believe some of it is just pure stubbornness. I think we all did this at one point or another and refused to listen. It's up to him to receive the information and then go fact check it to see if it is right. You get no argument from me on anything that is said, but someone who feels like they are pushed into a corner is going to keep trying to swing their way out. 

There's also some just reflexive attack mentality here that I can understand causing some defensiveness. I'm guilty of it too. And I think after 4 years of Trump and "making liberals cry" it's justified. But it's probably not the way long-term.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Armybrat said:

I don’t doubt at all that the democrat politicians are generally smarter than the Trump cabal, but their constituents don’t reflect that.

And your take on trump supporting constituents is?

Of course dumbasses are dumbasses. Doesn’t mean we should elect them our leaders and president like the corrupt Republican Party does. 

Anyone who still supports the Republican Party nowadays is either corrupt, ignorant or a total dumbass. Trump himself, dear leader of the Republican Party, is all three.

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Pales in comparison with all the protests, riots, family gatherings, etc. for 9 months.

Face it, the dumbass spreaders are from everywhere regardless of politics, but keep on chokin’ that chicken. 

You want to blame large swaths of people across this country that's fine, but I protested all summer. Others here did the same thing. Every single protest I went to had masks being given out and anyone not wearing one was asked to leave. No questions asked. I have a lot of respect for the folks who went out to protest in the middle of a pandemic because of being treated like they aren't even a human being. You cannot fathom what that feels like anymore than I can because no one ever treated either of us like we did not even matter as a person. I listened to a whole lot of hurt and anger and sadness from so many people here in NYC and in DC on three separate trips. Good came out of those protests though and the beginning of people being the leaders of tomorrow will have started with what happened after the death of George Floyd and Breanna Taylor.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

Just now, BradInATX said:
5 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

There's also some just reflexive attack mentality here that I can understand causing some defensiveness. I'm guilty of it too. And I think after 4 years of Trump it's justified. But it's probably not the way long-term.

On the other hand, if ten months into a pandemic you refuse to acknowledge what spreads the disease, maybe we should pelt you with rotten produce.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

There's also some just reflexive attack mentality here that I can understand causing some defensiveness. I'm guilty of it too. And I think after 4 years of Trump and "making liberals cry" it's justified. But it's probably not the way long-term.

I had a good bit of anger towards the Trump cult, but I just had to let it go and realize they are people who got fooled by a con man. You keep all that anger or hate inside for others and it will just burn you up in the end.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I don’t speak for her, so I’m not moving any goalposts. But it seems pretty fucking obvious that her point was that, even if many essential workers are young and less prone to being seriously harmed or killed if they catch covid, they can also spread it to other people for whom covid poses a higher risk.

For fuck’s sake, how do you not understand any of this shit yet?

I'm not even arguing that that won't happen or isn't happening! Where are you reading that?

Edited by workswithseed

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

And your take on trump supporting constituents is?

Of course dumbasses are dumbasses. Doesn’t mean we should elect them our leaders and president like the corrupt Republican Party does. 

Anyone who still supports the Republican Party nowadays is either corrupt, ignorant or a total dumbass. Trump himself, dear leader of the Republican Party, is all three.

I pretty much agree, but i think the same should be said for anyone who knowingly supports the democrat party, and their presidential candidates of the ladt 30 years. They’re all shitbags just like Trump, IMO.

• Fuck You 1