CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

I'll be passing through San Angelo tomorrow to help my mom out in planning my dad's funeral. He died earlier today at the age of 83 from Covid following a miserable three-week struggle in the hospital. It was a really shitty way to go and not the peaceful bed death surrounded by family/friends that we all wish for.

Very sorry to hear it, man.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, bolverk said:

I'll be passing through San Angelo tomorrow to help my mom out in planning my dad's funeral. He died earlier today at the age of 83 from Covid following a miserable three-week struggle in the hospital. It was a really shitty way to go and not the peaceful bed death surrounded by family/friends that we all wish for.

So sorry for you and your family's loss today, bolverk. Damn. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bolverk said:

That sucks my man, sorry to hear it. Right now my 68 yr old uncle who had just gotten a clean bill of health in his late November physical is on day 5 on a ventilator after being sick with covid for a week and a half and waking up Tuesday unable to breathe right. This thing doesn't hit everyone but when it hits it causes so much damage. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

46 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Goddamnit man. I am so sorry to hear that. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

That sucks my man, sorry to hear it. Right now my 68 yr old uncle who had just gotten a clean bill of health in his late November physical is on day 5 on a ventilator after being sick with covid for a week and a half and waking up Tuesday unable to breathe right. This thing doesn't hit everyone but when it hits it causes so much damage. 

Damn. Covid is raging. My best to your uncle. 

6 hours ago, bolverk said:

Sympathies, man, this crisis along with 2020 can't end fast enough.   Wishing for a peaceful new year.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Please, don't hold back on my account. Spread the good news, because we need some wins to celebrate. I'll check back in later this evening in the hope of seeing some shared joy. 

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

We need all the good news we can get, especially guys like @bolverk, I'm assuming.

The director at her senior living facility (Atria Arboretum) announced they are slated to get the vaccine in early January and everyone in the facility should be vaccinated before the end of the month.  There is light ahead.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's good to hear.

My in-laws live in an assisted living facility in Pflugerville.  It turns out two staff members started feeling sick but worked for a couple of days with, you guessed it, Covid-19.  Infuriating.

So far my in-laws have tested negative.  

Here’s to your in-laws dodging the covid bullet until the vaccine gets rolled out there, JJ.

Edited by Goredho

15 hours ago, bolverk said:

Sorry man. What a tragedy. 

I update national stats and equivalent city populations every week or so. This week the COVID-19 death toll has exceeded the equivalent populations of St Paul MN, Riverside CA, Lexington KY or Corpus Christi TX. That's a lot of people. 1 in 1000 people nationally. It's terrible to think about those large numbers, but when you hear about Bolverk's situation we're reminded again that it's not just stats and numbers. Fuck this virus and fuck our country's response to it. 

• Hook 'Em 5

What I am seeing from a personal basis is hope on the one hand, and the continued political based health stupidity on the other.  

My SIL got exposed after driving 11 hours to visit his grandfather who he had not seen in nearly three years, who gave him a truck, and schooling financial support.  He drove from New Orleans to Wichita Falls through that nasty front last weekend.  HE shows up and he sees Papa in a mask, and thinks that's great!  he's trying to protect himself as his parents are sitting in the same room without masks (Fox News/Facebook science preference).  Soon after a cousin knocks on the door with a mask, that refuses to enter the house, as Papa was given some Benadryl yesterday and had a little cough.  WOW that's news my SIL would have liked!!!!  My SIL and my daughter are both college educated smart people, and they have taken this shit seriously.  My daughter actually got the vaccine from the Hospital she works at as a Pharmacist, but they are mask wearing fools when indoors. So my SIL's parent let him drive 11 fucking hours to sit with ended up being Covid infected Papa.  Mama has some sort of dementia and was getting agitated with the post diagnosis Papa's isolation, so what is the plan?  Let Mama get in close contact and get infected by Papa... what else would the Republican plan be?

So the good news is folks like my daughter are getting vaccines.  The bad news is this shit keeps getting closer to us.  We actually have a couple that we went out with quite a bit in the past.  But the watch Fox news... So we distanced our ties with them.  They invited us to get some Tex Mex and a Rita at the place near our house that has really good safety protocols.  I said no, simply because it was the week after Thanksgiving, and I know they went to San Angelo to visit family, that also watch Fox News.  My decision not to go was very fortuitous, as both came down with covid symptoms a day or two after their dinner invite.  Luckily they both seem to be nearly fully recovered, but how many people did they infect?

In the end my poor SIL spend a 5 days in isolation due to the stupidity of his parents in my travel trailer in our driveway.  He didn't get to enjoy his time off, because of a simple lack on believing this shit is a real threat, worth mentioning to a son with Asthma driving 11 hours to see a covid sick grandfather.  Simply NEVER erring on the side of science, nor caution because of political stupidity and nothing else.  Had Republicans not listened to the lies of the President, now the endless echos of those lies on Fox News and Facebook, our rural communities could have largely been spared from the worst of this virus.  Instead stupidity was embraced.  It is still being embraced.  After all, look at how many of the folks in the White House got infected and nobody died!!!  So the disinformation that leads to more unnecessary deaths continues.  As may folks actually think they will get a similar level of healthcare like instant Regeneron treatment to save them.  

I will also say that after a lot of hesitation I went to my sister's house for a socially distanced Christmas outdoors.  But of course.  We all arrive in masks, wear our masks almost every moment in my extended family unit.  But... My 89 year old Fox News LOVING father has no no mask. Nor does my Sister's family, nor husband's sister's family.  Apparently outdoors eliminates all risk, and watching Fox News provides some miracle political safety from catching or SPREADING the virus.  It's been that way at every single "safe" gathering I have been invited to by my Republican friends.  So... from my point of view, one of the single safest things you can do to protect your loved ones is simply avoid Republicans.  

Again Bolverk sorry for your loss.

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 4

Let me give a little more bright side, since my wife is a nursing home consultant Pharmacist.  They are working as hard and fast as they can to try to contact and schedule each nursing home in every state to get the vaccine.  And yes the vaccine will be available next week for nursing homes, but the process is going to be slower than a lot of people think.  I am guessing most nursing home populations get vaccinated fully (2nd dose) by the end of February?  Her phone has been ringing off the wall, with every facility she takes care of.  But she is about as in the dark as they are, as reliable time oriented information is difficult to come by even by the folks leading the charge.  

So when a director says they are getting the vaccine next week? they are probably talking out their ass without any notification of a specific date for administration of the vaccine.  That's all gonna change in the next 7 days or so as the doses are paired with facilities.  Remember  

Operation Warp Speed's goal is to produce and deliver 300 million doses of safe and effective vaccines with the initial doses available by January 2021

There is absolutely no chance in hell of this happening, none, zero, nada.  So you have a massive demand for much fewer vaccine doses produced than was continually asserted by Operation Warp Speed.  It's going to be a shit show.  Folks are going to hear misinformation repeatedly.  That is the biggest problem my wife is dealing with in her facilities, inaccurate timelines repeated via rumor.  If a director doesn't have a date vaccine actually scheduled with CVS or Walgreens, they are just hoping and repeating their hopes.  The good news is the doses give you about 50% immunity after the first dose, and there truly are folks trying the best to get the vaccines into our most vulnerable population of the elderly.

The second hopeful note is there is wider and wilder availability of the Regeneron IV therapy.  My wife helped coordinate the first doses she has seen administered here in Austin last week.  It's hard to come by, but works and will gradually be more and more widely available.  So there are a few more tools in the toolbox becoming available.  And that is indeed hopeful!  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

So what's the problem with Warp Speed?  I was optimistic that the Army would do a good job with distribution, because they are actually good at that, but maybe in a more targeted way than a national vaccine distribution.

It sounds/looks like the bottleneck is in the "last mile" for actual administration, but I am reading between the lines.

38 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

So what's the problem with Warp Speed?  I was optimistic that the Army would do a good job with distribution, because they are actually good at that, but maybe in a more targeted way than a national vaccine distribution.

It sounds/looks like the bottleneck is in the "last mile" for actual administration, but I am reading between the lines.

There is currently no military involvement in actually vaccinating people under the Trump administration.  They are more like a distribution warehouse, and when the customer signs for the vaccine the work of the military is over currently. That will HOPEFULLY all change when Biden gets in and intelligent efforts are made, is my most fervent hope. Especially when the vaccine becomes available to the masses!  We are going to need the sort of organizational tools that the military can easily provide.  There are HUGE swaths of the country that do NOT have a CVS or Walgreens to go to receive the vaccine once it's widely available.  The military IMHO is the best tools to bridge that gap in both the rural and urban areas that will need where they lack the infrastructure.

Warp Speed's planning ends largely with the production of the vaccine. Then all the responsibility and planning nationally is kicked down to the states.  Who are of course receiving far, far fewer doses than initially planned for.  Think of the actual vaccination plan of warp speed as more like forwarding an excel list of clients rather than any sort of actual plan. That a problem kicked down to the states. The last mile is damn hard, the last inch, there is not national plan at all for that.  

"We received the vaccine yesterday at 11 am, and the thought we are waiting 3 days to start that, it hurts my heart. We've got paramedics who are not taking 3-day breaks, we've got firefighters that are not taking 3-day breaks, we could have brought some Christmas joy yesterday, if we have been prepared and we were not there," said Gravell.

COVID-19 vaccine is controlled by the Williamson County and Cities Health District. The agency is operated by an appointed board of directors and not county commissioners. In a news release issued Wednesday district officials stated they would "begin operations immediately after Christmas."

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/covid-19-vaccine-delay-has-wilco-health-district-on-naughty-list

Edited by horn4life

8 minutes ago, horn4life said:

There is currently no military involvement in actually vaccinating people under the Trump administration.  They are more like a distribution warehouse, and when the customer signs for the vaccine the work of the military is over currently. That will HOPEFULLY all change when Biden gets in and intelligent efforts are made, is my most fervent hope. Especially when the vaccine becomes available to the masses!  We are going to need the sort of organizational tools that the military can easily provide.  There are HUGE swaths of the country that do NOT have a CVS or Walgreens to go to receive the vaccine once it's widely available.  The military IMHO is the best tools to bridge that gap in both the rural and urban areas that will need where they lack the infrastructure.

Warp Speed's planning ends largely with the production of the vaccine. Then all the responsibility and planning nationally is kicked down to the states.  Who are of course receiving far, far fewer doses than initially planned for.  Think of the actual vaccination plan of warp speed as more like forwarding an excel list of clients rather than any sort of actual plan. That a problem kicked down to the states... without adequate funding...

Are far fewer doses really the issue?  I look at this.  

https://tabexternal.dshs.texas.gov/t/THD/views/COVID-19VaccineinTexasDashboard/Summary?%3Aorigin=card_share_link&%3Aembed=y&%3AisGuestRedirectFromVizportal=y&%3Amobile=true&%3AdeepLinkingDisabled=y

I realize may be some reporting lag issues but if you follow it, 139K doses in arms and there were about 240K doses delivered in the first week...so have not even used that up.  Seems distribution will be more of an issue and remember 35-40% of Americans are at present saying they don't won't this.

Is anyone really surprised the government can't handle this worth a shit after 4 years of trump and republican bullshit people being inserted into it? It was extremely inefficient and moderately fucked up before he arrived so it's going to take years of the Biden administration actually being productive to even unfuck 25% of the damage done. As a young member of the 30-50 range I'll be shocked if I get a vaccine available to me before summer unless my dad pulls strings with his connections and exercises privilege. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1