CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

18 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I’ve seen you refer to this multiple times on this thread. No one, anywhere, refers to the LA are as South California. I’m not sure what kind of aggy nonsense you’re getting at but it’s weird.

Not my words.

On 12/27/2020 at 3:22 PM, Neonmoon said:

This blows 

18 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

It’s you showing a lack of any kind of critical thinking.

Timeline of events

1. young people aren’t affected -you

2. young people are affected, my personal story of a friend. Those young people still infect others-me

3. Do you not want people to make a living? Don’t let infected people go to work- you

4. Asymptomatic folks?-me

5.asinine statement from you about do I want essential workers to live? I rebut that I’m literally in grocery stores as often as I can be to make my mortgage. You accuse me of saying essential workers shouldn’t work and ask how people will eat.

6. You are a North Texas dropout and Denton trash.

5 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

You are getting there, but still wide of the mark. 

The rate of infection among those "essential workers"  keeping the doors open for their bosses hits poorer neighborhoods harder - as was found early in the pandemic. Simple economics. Someone has to work so Trump Mamas and walruses can get their 10,000 calories a day. 

Sorry you haven't been paying attention, it started here. 

Edited by workswithseed

11 hours ago, JFKFC said:

we have screwed the pooch, no doubt, but this is pretty misleading.. we are NOT the worst..

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

we are 14th worst -  several nations in the 1 death per 1000+ club.

1) San Marino, 2) Belgium, 3) Slovenia, 4) Bosnia and Herzegovina, 5) Italy, 6) North Macedonia, 7) Peru, 8 Montenegro, 9) Andorra, 10) Spain, 11) Bulgaria, 12) UK, 13) Czechia, 14) USA

• Hook 'Em 1

Russia saying hold your bears. 

Russia said on Monday that its coronavirus death toll was more than three times higher than it had previously reported, making it the country with the third-largest number of fatalities.

For months, the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, has boasted about Russia’s low fatality rate from the virus, saying earlier this month that it had done a better job at managing the pandemic than western countries.

But since early in the pandemic, some Russian experts have said the government was playing down the country’s outbreak.

On Monday, Russian officials admitted that was true. The Rosstat statistics agency said that the number of deaths from all causes recorded between January and November had risen by 229,700 compared with the previous year.

“More than 81% of this increase in mortality over this period is due to Covid,” said the deputy prime minister, Tatiana Golikova, meaning that more than 186,000 Russians have died from Covid-19.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/28/russia-admits-to-world-third-worst-covid-19-death-toll-underreported

8 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

A fuck ton of this.  Especially when you realize that at least 1/3 of our populace thinks our "culture" is "WHATEVA!  I DO WHAT I WANT!"  

There is no understanding that we are a collective society and citizens have responsibilities beyond their own selfish dumbass desires.

image.jpeg.7c193474785e2f0566885714ebd545d3.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Huntington Beach is not liberal at all. It's a big red pocket in OC. Anyone who has spent time there would be completely unsurprised that they're having a Covid crisis.

I spent a few months there. No surprise on my end about that. It is changing, but right now that is of little consequence when the current residents are thumbing their nose at science.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Russia saying hold your bears. 

Russia said on Monday that its coronavirus death toll was more than three times higher than it had previously reported, making it the country with the third-largest number of fatalities.

For months, the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, has boasted about Russia’s low fatality rate from the virus, saying earlier this month that it had done a better job at managing the pandemic than western countries.

But since early in the pandemic, some Russian experts have said the government was playing down the country’s outbreak.

On Monday, Russian officials admitted that was true. The Rosstat statistics agency said that the number of deaths from all causes recorded between January and November had risen by 229,700 compared with the previous year.

“More than 81% of this increase in mortality over this period is due to Covid,” said the deputy prime minister, Tatiana Golikova, meaning that more than 186,000 Russians have died from Covid-19.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/28/russia-admits-to-world-third-worst-covid-19-death-toll-underreported

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29t0n2d93izljuc8jx8o

• Hook 'Em 1

“People get tired,” 
That is one big reason I can see why people are getting sick. 
‘I don’t think people are listening’
After seeing and hearing thier politicians tell them to stay inside as in say Gavin Newsom, and Nancy Pelosi totally disregard the rules, I'd say a mea culpa after months of being force in will people off.
Hurdur. 
You suck shit you dumb fuck. Yes Gavin Newsome having dinner (which was regrettable) is totally to blame. Not the other side holding rallies, refusing masks and spreading disinformation.

You are dumb as fuck And full of shit.

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

Are you thick? You came in already not understanding the prior context. I was talking about workers, and you're a dumbass.

This is really close to one of the greatest lines in Longhorn internet history - just replace dumbass with idoit.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

23 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Both of these things are unbelievably frustrating and no doubt tied together. Fuck this guy forever for leading so many people astray and fuck him for not doing the absolute bare minimum to save hundreds of thousands of lives. What a black eye this time period is going to be in the history books. 

Just now, BrickHorn said:

Fair enough. But 80% of adults doesn’t get you herd immunity. US population is 328 million. To get to 80% vaccination rate will take 150 days. That would put us in late May.

The vaccine isn't approved for 16 years old and under yet. But even still, May is a lot different than the June 2021 date quoted in that Tweet.

Doesn't change the fact that the rollout has been slow and terrible, but the media and everyone involved needs to fact check their shit.

2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Fair enough. But 80% of adults doesn’t get you herd immunity. US population is 328 million. To get to 80% vaccination rate will take 150 days. That would put us in late May.

As of now neither vaccine is approved for under 16 years. I don’t know if there are trials underway in pediatric population 

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Any vaccine sitting in a fucking freezer is wasted. And there are lots sitting in fucking freezers right now. 

Can the vaccine sit in the freezer indefinitely? The doses that have been allocated but not used aren't wasted, right? I still haven't found a good answer to this.

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I am not remotely surprised that seemingly nobody in the white house spent more than five seconds before the vaccine was approved thinking about how to get it to people.

But yeah, let's keep bothsidesing this administration. 

You seem to have forgotten Hillary and her emails and all politicians are bad so trump is no worse than all other politicians. 

6 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

The vaccine isn't approved for 16 years old and under yet. But even still, May is a lot different than the June 2021 date quoted in that Tweet.

Doesn't change the fact that the rollout has been slow and terrible, but the media and everyone involved needs to fact check their shit.

At a minimum, we need 70% vaccination rate, which is 230 million people, or 460 million shots.  At 3.5 million shots per day, that's 131 days, or roughly 4.3 months.  That's the second week of May, give or take.  It also takes a couple of weeks to fully build immunity, so that gets us to right about June, and that's assuming 70% vaccination rate is sufficient.

The math is correct.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

At a minimum, we need 70% vaccination rate, which is 230 million people, or 460 million shots.  At 3.5 million shots per day, that's 131 days, or roughly 4.3 months.  That's the second week of May, give or take.  It also takes a couple of weeks to fully build immunity, so that gets us to right about June, and that's assuming 70% vaccination rate is sufficient.

The math is correct.

Sure, if you think May and June are the same thing. 131 days from now is May 9th. You don't just get to arbitrarily add three and a half weeks to fit the narrative.

My point stands. The media needs to be responsible about fact checking their shit.

Edited by BradInATX

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Sure, if you think May and June are the same thing. 131 days from now is May 9th. You don't just get to arbitrarily add three and a half weeks to fit the narrative.

My point stands. The media needs to be responsible about fact checking their shit.

Come on.  Read what I wrote.  On May 9th, when the 70% metric is hit, those last people who received dose #2 are not yet "immune".  It takes a couple of weeks for them to build up full immunity.  If you want to pick nits and say May 23 is not June 1, fine, you win, but you're taking "pedantic" to new heights, which is not easy to do around here.

• Like 1

Well, polls show somewhere between 60-80% of Americans will get the vaccine. So we've got to get full distribution to the general population ASAP so that everyone who wants it can get it. Because yeah, we won't get to the 60-70% herd immunity mark until it's basically "everyone who wants it has gotten it".

But the initial rollout was in the middle of the holidays and there is absolutely going to be significant reporting lag. It's going to speed up in January and it's going to speed up even more when it's being distributed through every CVS and Walgreens and not just hospitals.

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Come on.  Read what I wrote.  On May 9th, when the 70% metric is hit, those last people who received dose #2 are not yet "immune".  It takes a couple of weeks for them to build up full immunity.  If you want to pick nits and say May 23 is not June 1, fine, you win, but you're taking "pedantic" to new heights, which is not easy to do around here.

TIL that acknowledging that May and June are actually two distinct months is pedantic.

The IRS is so pedantic! I can't believe they wouldn't buy my argument that May is basically the same thing as April!

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1

Assuming the same percentage of people wont get the 2-shot series for covid that didnt get the flu vaccine last year, thats roughly 130-170 million people that wont get the covid vaccine

hopefully they have all already had covid

edit: brad beat me to it

Edited by GreenspointTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Assuming the same percentage of people wont get the 2-shot series for covid that didnt get the flu vaccine last year, thats roughly 130-170 million people that wont get the covid vaccine

hopefully they have all already had covid

edit: brad beat me to it

Well, that's why I'm just going to get it and then stop giving a fuck. Nobody will care what the anti-vaxxers think in May. Once everyone has had the opportunity to get the vaccine, society is going to open back up. They can take their chances, I couldn't care less. Eventually they're going to have to get the vaccine to fly to Branson or to go see a Luke Bryant concert anyway.

Edited by BradInATX

I think of people like my Uncle though in Dripping Springs.  He's 93.  He's still quite lucid at his age and even drives every now and again.  But his daughter, my cousin, believes the vaccine is all part of the hoax.  She doesn't want him to get it.  And if she doesn't confirm his appointment when they call the land-line, and drive him to/from the appt., he won't get it.  If you asked him, he'd say he'd like to get it.  But there's a lot of steps between him saying he'd like the shots, and him actually getting the shots.  There's gonna be a lot of at-risk elderly folks who don't get the shot because their dumbass fucking Qanon kids don't take them to go get it.  I'll bet they number in the millions, throwing off our herd needs even more.