CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

there is no normal for the foreseeable future. Until there’s a vaccine, the US either needs economically ruinous levels of social distancing, a digital surveillance state of shocking size and scope, or a mass testing apparatus of even more shocking size and intrusiveness.

one of the marketplace pods (make me smart i think) mentioned that restaurants weren't coming back.  they'd have to operate with 1/2 of 1/3 capacity. 

we're not getting back to 'normal' for 2+ years.  not until 90% of the population is vaccinated or has antibodies from exposure. 

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

This will be the next GOP talking point in a matter of days; that the federal government can't afford to do it, because they are bailing out the economy, so it's on the states to do what they can. 

Y'know the states might be able to handle it if they don't get their shipments hijacked by the feds.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

He is MENTAL.

So Susan Collins, you own this from here to kingdom come, you vacuous vacillating Vodnika. You argued against the pandemic prep in the 2009 stimulus bill and voted against impeachment. I am rooting for Sara Gideon to whoop your ass in November.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

the Vice President of the US imploring Americans to give money to churches.

You knew that was coming.  Churches couldn't figure out how to monetize Zoom services, and since most states aren't as stupid as Kansas in overriding the governor to let people show up in person for their larger donations and free side order of COVID-19, it makes sense they'd appeal to the top ranking evangelist to make a pitch to give them that cash.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

"Going to be?"  Perhaps you've missed the bodybags stuffed with people who thought this was all a hoax?

Nah, I didn't mean because of COVID, I was talking more riots in the streets deadly.  This is going nowhere good.  Leave it to the boomers to build a system that they can burn down as they are dying off.  

1 minute ago, Radical Larry said:

Trump is a dumbfuck and needs to shut up and let the docs speak about treatments.

But since everyone gets off on pedantry, technically they are throwing antibiotics, anti-malarials, anti-parasitics, anti-virals and basically the kitchen sink at it. 

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

But since everyone gets off on pedantry, technically they are throwing antibiotics, anti-malarials, anti-parasitics, anti-virals and basically the kitchen sink at it. 

Trump only mentioned antibiotics.  He doesn't get a pass on that.

Well, he gets a pass, but he shouldn't.

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Well aren't you just a fucking ray of sunshine.*

* I don't disagree. 

I'm with you guys.  I was a bit encouraged by the Apple / Google app development that was going on because that would be an essential part of starting to open things up.  But then I realized that (1) we apparently have no interest in the U.S. in developing a massive rapid testing regime and (2) we have too many paranoid MFers here to make the app effective.  Maybe we'll get our shit together in about 9-12 months.  But it will take us taking a blind shot at opening things up and killing another 50,000 people before the paranoid MFers buy in.

So, yeah, we're going to destroy the economy in the process.  I dumped out of my equities a while back, and I've been astonished by the rebound in the Dow over the  last week - there's just no reasoned basis for the bounce that we saw.  But here we are.  The reality will set in soon enough.

Just now, Gap03 said:

So, yeah, we're going to destroy the economy in the process.  I dumped out of my equities a while back, and I've been astonished by the rebound in the Dow over the  last week - there's just no reasoned basis for the bounce that we saw.  But here we are.  The reality will set in soon enough.

Ride the short term wave of sweet fed intervention, imo.  Just make sure you jump off the wave before it crashes into the reef. 

Just now, Continental Op said:

Churches don't pay taxes to keep the government rolling when they're open.  Why should they get anything now?

I'm saying that if churches did pay taxes then they should. They aren't receiving any money from the government, and won't. People can give and I'm gonna guess churches are gonna help the older folks and poor folks with groceries. 

I don't think they should receive money from any government entity, but saying fuck churches ain't gonna help those that churches help with 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Honestly I'm not one for ton foil with big tech, but I'm not sure I do. I'd need more info. That said, with the people we have in charge now, someone else obviously has to solve the problem. So fuck it.

Run against Joe Biden.

plus voter suppression plus invited foreign interference plus vote rigging plus 100% of US Republicans being party over country traitors = easy Trump win. 

1 minute ago, workswithseed said:

I'm saying that if churches did pay taxes then they should. They aren't receiving any money from the government, and won't. People can give and I'm gonna guess churches are gonna help the older folks and poor folks with groceries. 

I don't think they should receive money from any government entity, but saying fuck churches ain't gonna help those that churches help with 

You are 100% wasting your time on this topic seed.  Which I realize is a curious thing for me to post.  Nevermind.  CArry on. 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Gotcha.  Fair enough.

• Like 1

Uhhg let me clear my throat.

I have just been gotten ordained.

Now ye in my congregation.   I'm gonna ask all of ya as the bucket goes around, made way of the plate, as bucket comes to ya touch it feel it and drop in ya folding money. Don't let yaor friend do some sort of passover. Give it give it, money money.

Love is in the air, and moneys in the bucket.  Peace be with you.

http://edition.pagesuite.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=45fe944c-461f-42e0-96e2-d6dc5c222a0c&fbclid=IwAR3a5U-0IkZ5Y7QU9j1LWR_J55J8ORz4UHV5M40X0cNygPN2qA0ZgmdSLo

It’s my belief, based on the available facts and my experience in the Navy, that my friend communicated honestly and thoroughly to to his superiors and in the best interest of his crew.

On March 31, before Crozier was relieved and a day after he wrote his letter, Vice Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Robert P. Burke sent a message to the fleet regarding COVID-19 response, which stated:

“There are times that you will need to push back on operational requirements. There are times that you may need to go to an installation commander for places to house your Sailors because you cannot effectively isolate your personnel. … If you’re not getting what you need, don’t suffer in silence, get the word up the chain. Above all, and I want you to hear this from me and the CNO, WE HAVE YOUR BACK. When in doubt, lean forward and lead.”

Crozier had leaned forward to lead, to spare his crew and to ensure that his ship would remain operational.

9 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Am I reading it correctly that trump said the virus was outmaneuvering antibiotics?

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

he used the word "genius" about 4x in one sentence when describing the virus.  which is, in itself, quite genius.

We're in a war here and the Invisible Enemy scored higher on the SAT than the Commander in Chief. A virus outmaneuvering antibiotics is much harder you know.

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

We're in a war here and the Invisible Enemy scored higher on the SAT than the Commander in Chief. A virus outmaneuvering antibiotics is much harder you know.

well when you're losing the war, you always want to compliment your enemy, especially in public.

-mack brown

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

well when you're losing the war, you always want to compliment your enemy, especially in public.

-mack brown

The virus pays no attention to Trump. Virus says:

You got no rap but you want to battle
It's like havin' a boat but you got no paddle
'Cause I never pause, I say it because
I don't break in stores but I break all laws

As far as the churches go:

Many churches do good, even great works in their communities but I'm not surprised that the collections and offerings have been down. People are out of work and debt is piling up. The optimist in me knows that there are congregations whose benevolence and generous spirits have them stepping across the threshold of the sanctuary and going out to help others. I do, however, notice that some are closing ranks and attempting to use negative peer pressure to lean on their flock. The somewhat snarky pessimist in me cries,

"What little faith you have, o' spiritual leader, that you would gather your sheep, expose them to ills and sickness and cast them aside when they can no longer nourish your wants. You ask faith of them to weather the storm and ask for their cloak so that you might walk in comfort."

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Like 3