CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

I predict football will be a major political issue.  
I could see that current social distancing will reduce the spread and eventually new hospital admittances will start coming down.  (Newly infected will as well, but since we don't have testing, it's impossible to confirm by how much.)  Some of that may be helped by warmer weather.  (I think warmer weather will reduce the viability on surfaces and the severity of reaction, both of which will reduce the spread.)  By midsummer, some of the social distancing can be relaxed to balance economic concerns.  But, until we have 1) wide spread testing - both current and antibodies, 2) effective treatments, or 3) vaccinations, we are still just a big wood pile that has just slowed the fire.  If one of those three things are not available by Fall, there shouldn't be football games with people in the stands.   But, Trump struggling with the polls, will want to demonstrate that we have beaten the pandemic.  That puts Biden and other Democrats in the position to argue against football. And there will be a lot of people who want football.  
Obama's tweet the other day - saying that we need wide spread testing before we can back to normal - was really important.  Biden tagged onto the PBS tweet about pulling back support for testing facilities, saying that testing was necessary to get back to normal. That criteria for getting back to normal needs to be established now. We need to establish a consensus on what is needed before people are voting between the medically responsible thing and football. And that's not just for the sake of the election, but also to avoid Trump killing so many more people in his stupidity and selfcenteredness. 

• Like 4

Agreed on the way it's gonna play out this fall.

The sad irony here is that social distancing, in conjunction with very serious business clampdowns, seems to have done an excellent job even here in the US.  I can't prove it, I can't say the cases would be X or fatalities Y, but it seems pretty damn clear, particularly since hospitals haven't been completely overwhelmed, even in NYC.  But the idiots making these calls will probably use the numbers to say "see, it's just like a bad flu season, with only 60K deaths" or whatever, and off we go.

WITHOUT draconian measures, this thing would be devastating, and a second spike, God forbid if it's worse, will destroy what's left of this economy (or the national debt, or both).

• Like 2

I could see that current social distancing will reduce the spread and eventually new hospital admittances will start coming down.  (Newly infected will as well, but since we don't have testing, it's impossible to confirm by how much.)  Some of that may be helped by warmer weather.  (I think warmer weather will reduce the viability on surfaces and the severity of reaction, both of which will reduce the spread.)  By midsummer, some of the social distancing can be relaxed to balance economic concerns.  But, until we have 1) wide spread testing - both current and antibodies, 2) effective treatments, or 3) vaccinations, we are still just a big wood pile that has just slowed the fire.  If one of those three things are not available by Fall, there shouldn't be football games with people in the stands.   But, Trump struggling with the polls, will want to demonstrate that we have beaten the pandemic.  That puts Biden and other Democrats in the position to argue against football. And there will be a lot of people who want football.  
Obama's tweet the other day - saying that we need wide spread testing before we can back to normal - was really important.  Biden tagged onto the PBS tweet about pulling back support for testing facilities, saying that testing was necessary to get back to normal. That criteria for getting back to normal needs to be established now. We need to establish a consensus on what is needed before people are voting between the medically responsible thing and football. And that's not just for the sake of the election, but also to avoid Trump killing so many more people in his stupidity and selfcenteredness. 

Yup. I imagine a lot of this board, myself included, would have a hard time talking themselves out of the LSU or OU games even though it's well known that it'd be a bad idea.

I don't think football is happening but you're absolutely right that we can't have that conversation in August.

12 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yup. I imagine a lot of this board, myself included, would have a hard time talking themselves out of the LSU or OU games even though it's well known that it'd be a bad idea.

I don't think football is happening but you're absolutely right that we can't have that conversation in August.

I was looking forward to the LSU game ever since it was scheduled.  Was in progress of making plans for a multi-day trip, binging on food, booze, and stupidity.

No fucking way am I going now.  Nope.  If the game is played in BR as planned, Brisket won't be there.

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Agreed on the way it's gonna play out this fall.

The sad irony here is that social distancing, in conjunction with very serious business clampdowns, seems to have done an excellent job even here in the US.  I can't prove it, I can't say the cases would be X or fatalities Y, but it seems pretty damn clear, particularly since hospitals haven't been completely overwhelmed, even in NYC.  But the idiots making these calls will probably use the numbers to say "see, it's just like a bad flu season, with only 60K deaths" or whatever, and off we go.

WITHOUT draconian measures, this thing would be devastating, and a second spike, God forbid if it's worse, will destroy what's left of this economy (or the national debt, or both).

Two things are true here -- where social distancing was imposed in time, it seems to have done the job.  Where it wasn't-- see NYC -- shit got PLENTY bad.

Dude....there are trenches being dug and filled with bodies -- mass graves -- in NY right now.  In 2020 America.  That is FUCKED UP.  But, you know, it's just like the flu, and this is all an overreaction.  I mean, surely you remember the mass graves we have to dig every flu season, right?  It's a regular thing, happens all the time.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

spacer.png

"Look at all these poor people lining up for free handouts! Stop making bad decisions, you fucking bums!"

- @Johnny Sack*

*consults with financial advisor to find buys based on projected corporate bailouts.

Maybe if they didn't waste their money on frivolous things like cars they could afford food...bootstraps, yadda yadda yadda

• Like 3

Just now, DixonHur said:

Maybe if they didn't waste their money on frivolous things like cars they could afford food...bootstraps, yadda yadda yadda

America is for the makers, not the takers.  Lazy entitled bums who blew all their money on transportation and housing are shitty planners - we makers shouldn't subsidize their stupidity.  Maybe if they suffer some REAL consequences, they'll make better decisions next time.  And I don't even see what they're worried about anyway -- anyone who dies from this illness "was on their last legs" anyway.  We're just overreacting to something that's just like the flu, which requires us to dig mass graves with a backhoe every flu season.  You just don't know that because the deep state and lamestream media hide it from you.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Two things are true here -- where social distancing was imposed in time, it seems to have done the job.  Where it wasn't-- see NYC -- shit got PLENTY bad.

Dude....there are trenches being dug and filled with bodies -- mass graves -- in NY right now.  In 2020 America.  That is FUCKED UP.  But, you know, it's just like the flu, and this is all an overreaction.  I mean, surely you remember the mass graves we have to dig every flu season, right?  It's a regular thing, happens all the time.

Of course it's horrible in NYC.  That doesn't change the fact that, even according to their governor, their ventilator needs seemed to have peaked below projections.  

I'm hardly minimizing what's happened in NYC.  Hell, my sister-in-law and her family fled Manhattan several weeks ago for a small family cabin near Dripping Springs.  Smart move.

30 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I could see players boycotting too.  Not a ton of "social distancing" on the field.

And because 70% are African-American, I could see the Trumpkins getting their panties in a wad over it...it'll be Kneeling Part II, Electric Boogaloo

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I could see players boycotting too.  Not a ton of "social distancing" on the field.

And because 70% are African-American, I could see the Trumpkins getting their panties in a wad over it...it'll be Kneeling Part II, Electric Boogaloo

Yea, there probably arent many worse scenarios for respiratory viral shedding than contact sports.  Constant heavy exhaling right in someone else's grill, snot slinging, so many common contact surfaces, etc.  

7 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Yea, there probably arent many worse scenarios for respiratory viral shedding than contact sports.  Constant heavy exhaling right in someone else's grill, snot slinging, so many common contact surfaces, etc.  

Also. Fecal transmission. 

tumblr_inline_pbu96iqSd71qac9hu_400.gif

OMG FUCK YO TV RATINGS

good god

*sigh* i see the usual suspects posting elsewhere in the CR...i know they read this thread. i guess there really is no answer to my inquiry last night.

at this point, i will just hope and pray that they can be outnumbered and overcome in November. 

he is a monster. 

Just now, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Got into an argument with my grandmother last night.  She was trying to tell me he's doing a great job and I asked her when is it ever the president's concern to consider the ratings of a press conference when 6500 people died today?  "I don't know what you're talking about, maybe we shouldn't talk about this."  Yeah, I think too many of us were content to let sleeping dogs lie and we've let our elderly parents and grandparents get fully bought into this alternate reality.  I'm now trying to come up with a path to start figuring out how to bring them out of it.  Because we're going to have to fix this.  This is going to kill us as a country if we can't get people out from under this massive propaganda influence they are under. 

We need to go back to the days when we disagreed on our approach to reality but we all agreed on the same reality.  We're not even in the same reality any longer.  That's going to be deadly.

This is a problem with older Trump supporters, who aren't on twitter (or online at all) and only watch Fox News. You bring up something horrific he did and they don't know what you're talking about. 

49 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

[MAGA]I bet all those cars have a smartphone inside (or two). And those stupid Xboxes.  Those aren't needed.

I bet all those people in those cars have those fancy TV sets than can hang on a wall as well.

I also bet those wimmin' folk get their hair colored and cut, and their nails done as well.  And they wear those goddammed Nikes that sponsor that sonofabitch that kneels.[/MAGA]

• Like 1

yeah...once during the 2016 campaign, my mother was going on about some nonsense...i wasn't even going to contradict her b/c i knew there was no point, i just picked up my phone b/c i was checking out of the conversation and was gonna check shaggy or something...and she immediately said "and don't be looking up and showing me facts and things, i'm not interested!"

i was too flabbergasted to even reply. 

she passed away a little over a year ago. i'm honestly grateful...she was in terrible health, multiple comorbidity factors and lived alone in Houston, just imagining trying to go through this with her pushed me to tears the other night. 

1 minute ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Got into an argument with my grandmother last night.  She was trying to tell me he's doing a great job and I asked her when is it ever the president's concern to consider the ratings of a press conference when 6500 people died today?  "I don't know what you're talking about, maybe we shouldn't talk about this."  Yeah, I think too many of us were content to let sleeping dogs lie and we've let our elderly parents and grandparents get fully bought into this alternate reality.  I'm now trying to come up with a path to start figuring out how to bring them out of it.  Because we're going to have to fix this.  This is going to kill us as a country if we can't get people out from under this massive propaganda influence they are under. 

We need to go back to the days when we disagreed on our approach to reality but we all agreed on the same reality.  We're not even in the same reality any longer.  That's going to be deadly.

I know this will be a shocking revelation, but its fox news.  Retirees just park in front of it all day and get brainwashed.  My dad is in the same boat.  He retired last year and now parrots fox news bullshit every time we get together now.  Hes a guy that never really gave a shit about anything political and now he cant stop railing about whatever the latest red meat is from that channel.  Any attempt to stifle or silence fox news feeds right into their paranoia unfortunately.  

9 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

2 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

My parents have gone from voting Trump in 2016 to hating his guts and supporting Biden in 2020.  There is hope. 

Hey Brick...any advice for those of us still struggling with Trumpkin family members?

13 minutes ago, Red Five said:

This is a problem with older Trump supporters, who aren't on twitter (or online at all) and only watch Fox News. You bring up something horrific he did and they don't know what you're talking about. 

Not sure that twitter engagement is the answer we are seeking.  The way most people engage social networks such as facebook and twitter only serves to reinforce beliefs and behaviors and drive polarization even further.  Tack on feedback mechanisms that trigger certain neuro physiological responses that resemble addiction pathways, and I am not exactly sure that they are the answer.     

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

They need to be shown the consequences of their choice to allow this madman to continue.  Much like when we had a moral center and made the German citizens bury the dead Jews after WW2.  

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

I know this will be a shocking revelation, but its fox news.  Retirees just park in front of it all day and get brainwashed.  My dad is in the same boat.  He retired last year and now parrots fox news bullshit every time we get together now.  Hes a guy that never really gave a shit about anything political and now he cant stop railing about whatever the latest red meat is from that channel.  Any attempt to stifle or silence fox news feeds right into their paranoia unfortunately.  

I don't understand why this happens though.  If he was truly not political, was he just looking for a reason to be pissed off at nothing?

I am not as worried about the Trump fanatics.  They are a lost cause.  Completely.  The group at play are folks like my dad (and similar boomers) who are rational enough to know that Trump is a disaster but can't, for whatever reason, rationalize 4 more years of Trump as worse than any democrat.  Even a guy like Biden who probably is more aligned with my dad politically then he realizes is not an option (yet). 

This group also wants us to stop complaining and come together to get through the virus.  They don' t like Trump, but no president could deal with this because it's unprecedented.  It's the ultimate both sides argument.  They see criticism as just applying previous hatred to criticize every single move Trump makes.  The thing is, everything Trump has done, just about, has been wrong, too late or a half measure.  I want to be fair and consider something that he got right, and the only thing I can think of is listening to the experts on keeping things shut down (but I'm still worried).  

This is the group of people that have to have every Lincoln Project video drilled into their head ad nauseum.  Every decision Trump made that cost lives, delayed action, or from which he probably profited have to be put on blast daily.  

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don't understand why this happens though.  If he was truly not political, was he just looking for a reason to be pissed off at nothing?

i've seen it happen.

what happens is that the critical thinking skill gets turned off in the inactive population, and fox has figured out the buttons to push for outrage. while the outcomes are different, the method is essentially the same as nazi propaganda. nationalism, find a population to blame for all our evils (first it was mexico for trump, but now it's really all democrats), rinse and repeat, repeat, repeat. the result is a population of pissed off people who are taking things at their word and not engaging in any sort of critical thinking.

it's like my father-in-law. he's a smart guy who has bought in 100% to foxnews and right wing propaganda. what's interesting to me is how they all use the exact same terminology when referring to news. i've heard from multiple family members about the "hydroxyclorquine cocktail" that will save us from this coronavirus. who ever referred to medication "cocktails" before this mess? no one, until rush and hannity started. 

we are accused on the cloak room of having a left wing cabal sound chamber. i truly think the right is an actual cabal sound chamber because every accusation is actually a confession.

• Like 3

I am not as worried about the Trump fanatics.  They are a lost cause.  Completely.  The group at play are folks like my dad (and similar boomers) who are rational enough to know that Trump is a disaster but can't, for whatever reason, rationalize 4 more years of Trump as worse than any democrat.  Even a guy like Biden who probably is more aligned with my dad politically then he realizes is not an option (yet). 
This group also wants us to stop complaining and come together to get through the virus.  They don' t like Trump, but no president could deal with this because it's unprecedented.  It's the ultimate both sides argument.  They see criticism as just applying previous hatred to criticize every single move Trump makes.  The thing is, everything Trump has done, just about, has been wrong, too late or a half measure.  I want to be fair and consider something that he got right, and the only thing I can think of is listening to the experts on keeping things shut down (but I'm still worried).  
This is the group of people that have to have every Lincoln Project video drilled into their head ad nauseum.  Every decision Trump made that cost lives, delayed action, or from which he probably profited have to be put on blast daily.  

Not to be a dick, but if your dad can't look at the past three-plus years and conclude that most 11th graders, let alone an adult Democrat, would be a better alternative, then he does not fall in the "rational" category. There is no rational explanation for Trump support at this point. Unless you're uber wealthy, a fundamentalist Christian, or a white supremacist, I guess.
  • Like 3

Journal that published the initial HCQ paper now backtracking...

Journal Publisher Concerned over Hydroxychloroquine Study

The report by Didier Raoult and colleagues that examined the use of the anti-malarial drug in a small number of COVID-19 patients receives criticism from the very society that published it.

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/journal-publisher-concerned-over-hydroxychloroquine-study-67405

With little evidence to back him, President Donald Trump has championed an anti-malarial drug called hydroxychloroquine as a treatment for COVID-19. His endorsement has led to hoarding and shortages for lupus patients who rely on the medicine. 

While it may turn out to be an effective drug—and a number of clinical trials are aiming to find out—the clinical data so far are preliminary and, it turns out, possibly problematic.

According to a statement issued April 3 by the International Society of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy (ISAC), the vanguard study cited by Trump and others in their endorsement of hydroxychloroquine “does not meet the Society’s expected standard, especially relating to the lack of better explanations of the inclusion criteria and the triage of patients to ensure patient safety.” 

The ISAC publishes the International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, where Didier Raoult of Aix-Marseille Université and colleagues reported their findings on a trial of three dozen patients, 20 of whom took hydroxychloroquine (six of these patients also received an antibiotic). The statement from ISAC notes that the journal’s editor in chief is in agreement with the society’s concern, although the society defends the peer review process that the paper went through. “Although ISAC recognises it is important to help the scientific community by publishing new data fast, this cannot be at the cost of reducing scientific scrutiny and best practices,” the statement adds.

See “Chloroquine for COVID-19: Cutting Through the Hype”

Elisabeth Bik, a microbiologist who works to improve the quality of the scientific literature, noted in a blog post a number of issues with the study after it first appeared as a preprint, including confounders, a lack of randomization, and reported data that did not match the plan outlined in a clinical trial registry.

Another preprint by Raoult’s group of 80 COVID-19 patients who received hydroxychloroquine and the antibiotic azithromycin similarly received criticism for a lack of control group, the inclusion of asymptomatic carriers, and questionable results. For instance, Derek Lowe points out in his blog that 10 patients went from a positive to negative nasal swab test between the first and second day of treatment. “That seems hard to believe, unless they were already close to the cutoff, but here’s a big problem with the preprint: we do not have individual patient data,” he writes.

Retraction Watch notes that ISAC does not appear to be taking further action beyond publicising its concerns.

On March 28, the US Food and Drug Administration authorized the emergency use of hydroxychloroquine and a related drug, chloroquine phosphate, for COVID-19 patients, and numerous clinical trials are underway around the globe to assess the drugs’ efficacy. Science reports that a number of former agency leaders disagreed with the move on the grounds that it “undermines FDA’s scientific authority because it appeared to be a response not to scientific evidence, but to fervent advocacy of the drugs by Trump and other political figures.”

While the chloroquine drugs have been used for years for other conditions, they are not without risks. One hospital in France trialing hydroxychloroquine for coronavirus had to stop giving the treatment to a patient because of cardiac side effects. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

They need to be shown the consequences of their choice to allow this madman to continue.  Much like when we had a moral center and made the German citizens bury the dead Jews after WW2.  

spacer.png

We also need to publicly shame them like the horizontal collaborators

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Because fox always ties x to y, and a lot of y is the good ole days.  We didnt have school shootings when we had prayer in schools, and liberals took away school prayer.  We didnt have job problems back when we didnt allow so many foreigners into the country, and liberals want open borders.  The list goes on.  Fox pushes the same message through multiple hosts and guests from different angles every day and it just worms into the brain.  Opinion becomes fact.  Contrary facts become opinion or fake news once fox gets a few news cycles to spin and manipulate things.  The fake news agenda is the biggest problem, they have convinced people to live in an echo chamber by their own choice.  After that its just a question of how many repititions over time it takes to create another fox news bot.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Journal that published the initial HCQ paper now backtracking...

Journal Publisher Concerned over Hydroxychloroquine Study

The report by Didier Raoult and colleagues that examined the use of the anti-malarial drug in a small number of COVID-19 patients receives criticism from the very society that published it.

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/journal-publisher-concerned-over-hydroxychloroquine-study-67405

This will be spun as the fakest of news.

11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Not to be a dick, but if your dad can't look at the past three-plus years and conclude that most 11th graders, let alone an adult Democrat, would be a better alternative, then he does not fall in the "rational" category. There is no rational explanation for Trump support at this point. Unless you're uber wealthy, a fundamentalist Christian, or a white supremacist, I guess.

Fair.  But he is the target audience of the Lincoln Project and I think they can be turned to the light.  He claimed to be exploring Bloomberg, who frankly is a worse candidate than Biden.  Biden should be his excuse so he doesn't have to vote for Warren or Sanders.  I have 7 months to bring him around, and I'm not going to stop.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

it's like my father-in-law. he's a smart guy who has bought in 100% to foxnews and right wing propaganda. what's interesting to me is how they all use the exact same terminology when referring to news. i've heard from multiple family members about the "hydroxyclorquine cocktail" that will save us from this coronavirus. who ever referred to medication "cocktails" before this mess? no one, until rush and hannity started. 

Not to be a dick, but it's part of my makeup:  the drug combinations that finally started to rein in HIV were (and are) commonly referred to as "cocktails".  Back to your post (which I agreed with).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Fair.  But he is the target audience of the Lincoln Project and I think they can be turned to the light.  He claimed to be exploring Bloomberg, who frankly is a worse candidate than Biden.  Biden should be his excuse so he doesn't have to vote for Warren or Sanders.  I have 7 months to bring him around, and I'm not going to stop.  

Unfortunately I think a lot of our elder fox bots arent going to be swayed by anything but personal tragedy.  They have to have the fox facade shattered for them to see anything beyond it.  Something they cant rationalize away because its no longer something happening to "those people."

Edited by TXSG8R

Hopefully so. Respect for fighting the good fight.

8 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

What this poll tells me is that 37% of the population should be kicked in their genitalia.

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Crazy how that number is so consistent.

actually, i'm sort of stunned that it has dipped as low as 37%. 

i honestly thought it was stuck at 41-42%.

perhaps a slight glimmer of hope?

Edited by hayden_horn
  • Like 1