CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

13 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

This is perhaps not good? Article says they are going to conduct a study; they can do that since they have tested practically everybody. Meanwhile, we are going to "go through some things."

Would be interesting to know what if any implications this could wrt vaccine effectiveness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

Once this is over, America is going to need to have a truth and reconciliation commission, with the upper levels of the trump administration all brought in on charges, including of course the entire trump family. 

Wasn't the point of T&R and the whatever they did in Rwanda where people just apologized for killing their neighbors that it diffused the hate and allowed the countries to heal?

Just one question: in this plan, are guillotines going to take part?  Knowing this influences my vote.

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

That article is devastating, true, and is why this problem will not end until Trump is no longer the president. 

We are all suffering because of the mental illness of one man. One man.

Is he worth it America? 

Everyone in America should be forced to read this.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

can this PLEASE end up as a TV ad?? like, send it to the Biden campaign, or Bloomberg, or whatever 'billionaire PAC' is accused of supporting Biden...PLEASE. this is EXACTLY how this thing needs to be framed. PUT IT ON THE AIR. 

• Like 6

Been a long day. I got a lot of catching up to do. Multi quote fiesta. 

7 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Real journalists don’t work at The N.Y. Post.

It’s a clickbait tabloid full of fuckery.

Truth. Este. What she said. He's got a selection of butt kissers that he likes to call on. He knew that the Post would give him something he liked. A pardon for the Tiger King. It's absurd that a Presidential press conference has devolved to here.

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yet their entire political approach before this was that every resource we had, at a cost of billions, had to be directed to stop......illegal aliens from crossing the Rio Grande.  Illegal aliens....who kill other people at a lower rate than natural-born citizens do.  We're talking triple digits each year, that's it.

So, yeah...DEFINITELY run all of these numbers, Tucker.  If we make our decisions based on "relative deadliness," we'll never have to waste time talking about little brown people hanging sheetrock ever again.  You dumbfuck.

'Member when he was on MSNBC?

AND Lou was on CNN?

damn. That's like last century and shit 

5 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I've been pretty clear that the administration fucked up the test roll out and that decision making and lack of leadership were most certainly contributing factors. 

Bro. Testing is the enemy to this administration. Those are hard and fast numbers he can't deny. It's getting shut down every step of the way and it comes straight from the Oval Office. All of the dismantling of the structures put into place is at the feet of the administration and not the agencies.  The lifers in them are trying to survive an onslaught of abject stupidity. See Crozier, et al. 

4 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

God, FUCKKKK these daily hootenannys.

Ugh I’m feeling particularly anxious and sad and just fucking mad today.

Close friend from high school’s father just died alone and his mom has it too. They were like family back in the day. Under normal circumstances, I’d be preparing to fly to Florida for the funeral.

This, plus my daughter’s situation (high school senior losing everything special about senior year and starting college), and working at a hospital has me feeling especially freaked out today.

This sucks y’all.

I'm sorry. My kid is in the same holding pattern. It sucks. 

3 hours ago, Bartles said:

As horrible as Trump and the federal govt has been, it seems like all governments have strong dis-incentives to testing:

- Testing costs money and is logistically challenging

- High positive numbers are bad PR (people freak out and think they're not being protected)

- The vast majority of positives don't need to go to the hospital before they recover

- Many positives don't even know they have it before it's gone

- Serious cases end up in hospital anyway, so testing seems redundant

Obviously, from a medical and societal standpoint, widespread testing should be a tremendous priority because we can't "re-open" without it. But I can see why even local governments would slow-walk it. Hope I'm wrong

You aren't wrong. They don't want to test. There is a strong disincentive. They don't want Fauci on camera. Much less on a mic. 

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Rick Wilson is savage. That's got his fingerprints all over it. 

That Frum longcat I posted yesterday too. He was in fine form. It's definitely worth a repeat.

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

This is perhaps not good? Article says they are going to conduct a study; they can do that since they have tested practically everybody. Meanwhile, we are going to "go through some things."

Reactivation is a scary concept, but hopefully it's just a matter of a small number of folks having mild relapsing symptoms because they weren't fully recovered but had just fallen below the test sensitivity.  

If it's reinfection, that would be pretty awful as it might suggest immunity only lasts 2-3 months in some subset of the population.  That would mean that it would be hard to get people back to work and could mean producing a vaccine might be really tricky.  Trying to give the entire country boosters every 2-3 months seems pretty impractical, even if we could produce a sufficient quantity.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

You can’t manage what you can’t measure.  Simple fucking concept.

Yep. So simple that our leaders ignore it because the ego of ONE MAN can’t take it so thousands will die and trillions will be lost. 

FUCK YOU TRUMPKINS 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Message Board User said:

NSIAP.

in an effort to try and understand what/how some people think the way they do...i would really, really like a resident Trump supporter/defender to respond to this. we know you're reading this. 

i am honestly perplexed. this article is full of verifiable facts. video. dates on calendars. direct quotes. i would like to know how someone could look at those facts and come to any conclusion other than...Trump has fucked us all. i don't want to argue with anyone, i just want to know the thought process. 

i realize this is likely a fool's errand, but i'm trying to learn from this. i have family members that i love that support Trump no matter what, and they are not stupid, and i know many of you do too. i have always been one to give people the benefit of the doubt. this is a great mystery to me. i really want to know. 

• Like 1

in an effort to try and understand what/how some people think the way they do...i would really, really like a resident Trump supporter/defender to respond to this. we know you're reading this.  i am honestly perplexed. this article is full of verifiable facts. video. dates on calendars. direct quotes. i would like to know how someone could look at those facts and come to any conclusion other than...Trump has fucked us all. i don't want to argue with anyone, i just want to know the thought process. 

i realize this is likely a fool's errand, but i'm trying to learn from this. i have family members that i love that support Trump no matter what, and they are not stupid, and i know many of you do too. i have always been one to give people the benefit of the doubt. this is a great mystery to me. i really want to know. 

Your first mistake is assuming that there’s a thought, let alone a process...

They’re either completely brainwashed, unwilling to admit they made a mistake, or simply mouth breathers.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

We can’t reopen without testing.

Trump won’t allow testing because it reveals the truth and makes him look bad.

So the cycle of death and economic ruin will cycle on and continue, until Trump is no longer the president. 

God damn, so we don't have college football until 2025?

It's a lot easier to con someone than to get them to realize they're being fooled. There are a lot of reasons that people voted for Trump. It's not a one size fits all. We've been over this more than a few times. Fear of a brown planet. Fear of The Gay Agenda. Abortion. It's not hard to figure out a person's political touchpoints. They be glad to tell you. Loudly. With perhaps bits of spittle and veins popping. 

How exactly are the states supposed to procure supplies if they are getting seized? It's not enough that they send rotted masks and broken ventilators, but they will take the ones you bought. 

I saw this graph earlier. It looks like someone scratched through some shoddy work and said do it again. 

His ratings and the White Trash Tiger King. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

That's interesting about the governors getting bounces.  Trump did get a bounce but it was smaller than just about every other national leader's, even Conte's, and has basically disappeared already.

5 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Any lukewarm trump supporter

All seven of them? It's an alliance of a cult and the ultra wealthy. No one is changing their mind on this guy at this point. They shouldn't be aired because he just sits up there and spews bullshit, some of which is dangerous.

1 hour ago, Gap03 said:

Reactivation is a scary concept, but hopefully it's just a matter of a small number of folks having mild relapsing symptoms because they weren't fully recovered but had just fallen below the test sensitivity.  

If it's reinfection, that would be pretty awful as it might suggest immunity only lasts 2-3 months in some subset of the population.  That would mean that it would be hard to get people back to work and could mean producing a vaccine might be really tricky.  Trying to give the entire country boosters every 2-3 months seems pretty impractical, even if we could produce a sufficient quantity.

Reactivation added to premature reopening is a global catastrophic risk for humanity. 

Full text of the study:  https://www.journalofinfection.com/article/S0163-4453(20)30114-6/fulltext

We confirmed that in a significantly proportion of COVID-19 patients, SARS-CoV-2 reactivation developed after discharging from hospital (9%). We reported clinical data from 5 patients with SARS-CoV-2 reactivation. The clinical characteristics of these patients with SARS-CoV-2 reactivation were similar to those of non-reactivated patients with COVID-19 infection. None of the 5 patients developed severe pneumonia or died, as of Feb. 24, 2020. Notably, based on our findings in these 5 patients, there is currently evidence to suggest that a proportion of recovered COVID-19 patients could reactivate.

The reactivated patients included 1 asymptomatic patient and 4 symptomatic patients, which suggests the reactivation potential of asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic patients. The time from SARS-CoV-2 negative to positive ranged from 4 to 17 days, suggesting that recovered patients still may be virus carriers and require additional round of viral detection and isolation.

Edited by washparkhorn

3 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

Same could easily be said about College Football, but yet we are still here.

On the whole, I’d put college football down as a net social negative: physical toll to the athletes, financial drain on most schools, interminable off seasons, etc.

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

No, see, this is all overblown to hurt Donald Trump. It’s no worse than the flu, and we’re overreacting.
I swear to god - I’m still seeing cascades of those takes from Trumpkins, Fox, etc.

The actual death toll here is, according to DeBlasio, probably 70 percent higher than the total reported. That is absolutely astounding and it is because of the amount of people who are dying at home here. Just using Monday as an example there were 280 home deaths in NYC. The average deaths at home on a normal day here is TWENTY-FIVE. This coward in Washington deserves the worst for what he allowed to transpire by treating this like it was a joke. His tiny little hands are covered in blood and there is nothing he can do to distance himself from this. He'll pay in this life and hopefully the next as well. I do not like to wish stuff upon people, but this is just different when innocent people are gone due to his indifference to people's lives being of zero importance. He is the absolute worst of what a human being can be. 

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Sir, are you familiar with the Ledge?  Perhaps you'd like a brochure?  You seem like a perfect fit.

I'd like to book the VIP Experience. That includes liquor, right?

• Like 2

#TrumpBurialPits is trending upward, currently at number 3 this morning. Stark reminder people>ratings.

#AccurateTrump2020Slogans is also trending. "I don't take any responsibility at all," is hands down the one most quoted. That phrase is going to stick for awhile.

10 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

This right here. It will drive him insane but he can’t do much of anything.  His meltdown will be comical.  

This is the consequence of him turning everything over to the governors to avoid blame.  "I'm a wartime president but everything is up to the governors."

Well, now it is.

• Like 1

It's problematic, though. He still has the power to punish states (citizens) and he has no problem acting on that. When you've got the feds seizing supplies that a state's citizens have paid for and then resell/redistribute to other favored states, you know you've got the mob mentality at work.

He’s also got the de facto ability to cause a lot of red states to open back up too early, as their officials are more concerned with doing what he wants than the safety of their citizens. And that won’t just hurt them, it’ll fuck things up for everyone else too.

9 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

My dad supports trump. I still love him but I’ve lost a lot of respect for him.

I can’t explain it. 

My parents have gone from voting Trump in 2016 to hating his guts and supporting Biden in 2020.  There is hope. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Biden is going to be able to run a hell of campaign ad with Trump quotes about the virus.

If Bloomberg is still living in the leadup to November, I hope his sequestered time has given him opportunity to get over his pouting and pump some of those ads like what he ran as a candidate. At this point, could the DNC consider holding a competition for submissions or does that violate election rules? Really creative people out there can come up with some amazing works. It doesn't take much considering that 'nasty'  carpedonkdonk (yes, I know that is incorrect) on the GOP team.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Biden is going to be able to run a hell of campaign ad with Trump quotes about the virus.

Trump will yell fake news about every single quote.  You could play the video of him saying it and he would still say its fake.  Unfortunately, theres a big chunk of his base that would believe Trump over their lying eyes.  

52 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

This is the consequence of him turning everything over to the governors to avoid blame.  "I'm a wartime president but everything is up to the governors."

Well, now it is.

It also gives him an enemy.  He will go after Cuomo, and compare NY per capita fatalities to US per capita fatalities.  He can attack Cuomo, blame him for lack of leadership, and contrast himself as someone who handled it more competently to keep the US per capita rates lower.  Logic need not apply.  We already blew past the Swine Flu (13 month) fatality numbers, so Obama-related whataboutism will be weak sauce.  He needs a new enemy to contrast himself against.

The Kansas governor is suing the Kansas legislature over them overriding her executive order limiting the size of church gatherings.  It's going to their Supreme Court.  Nice little shitshow brewing there.

Edited by kevwun