CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

45 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

If we look at New York statistics relative to California's, they were very similar in mid-March.  Now New York has sustained nearly 15X the # of deaths, and over 8X the reported cases.  While the latter can be a bit fuzzy, mortality rates should be pretty on point, with some understandable reporting discrepancies.

I just don't see how this isn't blindingly obvious evidence that Trump's failure to take significant action by sooner probably condemned tens of thousands of Americans to death.  Is there something I'm missing?

yeah, there's really no explaining it, other than the obvious natural distancing that goes on here vs nyc (public transport, people walking, extreme pop density).  people forget that right after the bellevue outbreak, there was one of the first community spread cases - in northern california.  california was a mini-hotspot right at the beginning of this.  the past month has been a pretty tight ship.

16 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

NY was heavily seeded from Europe due to the failure to implement a european travel ban until it was too late. 

But both states had the identical death count (6) in mid-March.  Both have similar populations.  Both have at least one city with very high population density, and when you compare NYC to San Francisco, the former has 50X the mortality rate per capita than the latter.  Are we saying there were a vastly higher # of cases in NYC than San Francisco in mid-March even though fatalties started to creep up at the exact same time?  I'm not sure that passes the smell test.

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

Thread 

so not only is trump leaving this up to the governors, but he's giving the red state kiss-ass governors an unfair advantage (fulfillment of requests, seizures, etc) and yet they're still failing.  it's only a matter of time before some of the fuck-ups in these states cause a lot of finger pointing between the state and federal level.

"the governor of florida, he's great, he's doing a tremendous job, but this is all his fault."

• Like 3

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

so not only is trump leaving this up to the governors, but he's giving the red state kiss-ass governors an unfair advantage (fulfillment of requests, seizures, etc) and yet they're still failing.  it's only a matter of time before some of the fuck-ups in these states cause a lot of finger pointing between the state and federal level.

"the governor of florida, he's great, he's doing a tremendous job, but this is all his fault."

Nope.  They'll just blame NYers, claiming they escaped to the paradise of Florida, spreading the disease.  It's all Cuomo, diBlasio, AOC, and Hillary's fault.  Evergreen.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

But both states had the identical death count (6) in mid-March.  Both have similar populations.  Both have at least one city with very high population density, and when you compare NYC to San Francisco, the former has 50X the mortality rate per capita than the latter.  Are we saying there were a vastly higher # of cases in NYC than San Francisco in mid-March even though fatalties started to creep up at the exact same time?  I'm not sure that passes the smell test.

Death is a lagging indicator. A better comparison to assess the extent of seeding in NY in mid march would be to compare end of march, early april death counts. BTW, do you have a source for state by state graphs of death rates with axis as calendar dates rather than days since 10 deaths or similar?

People want to join any group because they want to be like them - or because the group has something of value that they want to access (be it social prestige, a feeling of belonging, a need to explore their spirituality) - and/or because they respect the membership.  
Ain't nobody joining a church because of those Trump loving, poor/brown skin hating, anti-science morons.    There are many fine Christians walking in the steps of Jesus, and living that life.    But the Evangelical movement is now working ever harder to becoming synonymous with ignorance, hate and hypocrisy.    Young people see that and want nothing to do with it.

Those young people are my wife’s core ministry. They are the fastest-growing faith demographic out there: people who long for a spiritual life, and get the draw of the Gospel message...but see modern American Christianity for the rigid, often loathsome vehicle for cruelty, pain, and white supremacy that it is. They want nothing to do with the world of Trump, Graham, Jeffers, and Copeland...who are the dominant cultural “Christian” voices. They run as fast as they can from those voices.
The “church” - as it is in America - needs to die. Only after this shittacular incarnation of it dies can something decent be reborn.
Many people of faith are trying to lead here...among all faiths. There are catholic priests truly living the word, working with the sick, etc. Faith groups are feeding millions. But it’s not enough. They are a tiny sound...hate, cruelty, and greed are a clanging gong. The battle for the church is over - evil won, took possession, and stole the brand.
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

BTW, do you have a source for state by state graphs of death rates with axis as calendar dates rather than days since 10 deaths or similar?

1point3acres lets you drill down to the state level, where you can query their caseload and fatality graphs for specific info on a given date.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Mass transit.  Period.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Mass transit.  Period.

Are you sure?  Looks like MTA averages about 0.8 rides per day per capita, and BART is somewhat lower, about 0.6 rides per day per capita.  I admittedly no transportation expert, so I could be reading the numbers incorrectly, or just missing a huge chunk of transit.

Most leaders would at least have the sense not to relitigate every vendetta in their personal Burn Book at such moments. That’s what rallies and sycophantic interviews with Fox News are for, after all. Indeed, polls now suggest that even the president’s base might be tiring of this exhibitionism. But that is irrelevant to Trump. With cable news constantly covering the pandemic, he seems to be going through withdrawal. He needs an outlet for his political glossolalia, or his constantly replenishing reservoir of grievance and insecurity will burst its seams.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/04/each-briefing-trump-making-us-worse-people/609859/

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

W helped his dad get elected by campaigning for the evangelical vote because the elder Bush wasn't one of them. 

He was also, by most accounts, face-down-in-the-gutter at that point.

That was 30 plus years ago and I needn''t point out that one need not be an evangelical to recruit one.

You said he IS an evangelical and that is just not true.

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Ah, abortion.  Coming from the party that is perfectly comfortable with 100K dead as collateral damage to keep the economy going.....

They only care about unborn lives.  Once you pass through the birth canal,  you’re on your fucking own.

Animated GIF

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Dude. They never gave a shit about abortion.

Este.

But the abortion myth quickly collapses under historical scrutiny. In fact, it wasn’t until 1979—a full six years after Roe—that evangelical leaders, at the behest of conservative activist Paul Weyrich, seized on abortion not for moral reasons, but as a rallying-cry to deny President Jimmy Carter a second term. Why? Because the anti-abortion crusade was more palatable than the religious right’s real motive: protecting segregated schools. So much for the new abolitionism.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/05/religious-right-real-origins-107133

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

He was also, by most accounts, face-down-in-the-gutter at that point.

That was 30 plus years ago and I needn''t point out that one need not be an evangelical to recruit one.

You said he IS an evangelical and that is just not true.

Sure he is. I'm surprised anyone would argue otherwise. I watched eight years of his presidency and no one ever brandished their faith more than he did. He constantly presented himself as being on a mission from God. It affected his policy from the "War on Terror" to his bans on gay marriage and stem cell research. 

You can't make a "No true Scotsman" defense of him. He was our first evangelical president. Saying he's not an evangelical is like saying Trump's not a racist. 

When Bush comes out and says that God never told him to invade Iraq, I'll believe he's changed his ways. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

MTA averages about 0.8 rides per day per capita,

Not sure what this means:

1. 80% of the citie's population rides the subway or bus a day (I'd believe that).

2. Less than 1% of the citie's population rides the subway or bus a day (no way).

3  Each person averages just less than 1 ride per day (seems low but I guess I could believe it).

883,305 - San Fran

8,398,748 - 5 boroughs

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bullneck said:

Not sure what this means:

1. 80% of the citie's population rides the subway or bus a day (I'd believe that).

2. Less than 1% of the citie's population rides the subway or bus a day (no way).

3  Each person averages just less than 1 ride per day (seems low but I guess I could believe it).

883,305 - San Fran

8,398,748 - 5 boroughs

Another one of the CR brain surgeons.