CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

4 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Part of me doesn't know how y'all still watch the dumpster fireside chats. I can only handle so much outrage. But the other part wants to rubber neck at the latest train wreck. 

I come here to get the highlights, so I appreciate y'all's sacrifice.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Part of me doesn't know how y'all still watch the dumpster fireside chats. I can only handle so much outrage. But the other part wants to rubber neck at the latest train wreck. 

It's like Howard Stern:

Researcher: The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes a day. The average Howard Stern fan listens for - are you ready for this? - an hour and twenty minutes.
Kenny: How could this be?
Researcher: Answer most commonly given: "I want to see what he'll say next."
Kenny: : All right, fine. But what about the people who hate Stern?
Researcher: Good point. The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.
Kenny: : But... if they hate him, why do they listen?
Researcher: Most common answer: "I want to see what he'll say next."

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

You know what pisses me off the most about these briefings? The complete lack of scientific talk. He’s literally going on about 4th of July celebrations like people aren’t dying by the thousands. 

yeah no shit. i tuned in thinking Trump was going to give us some grounding and real scientific thought. man what a disappointment

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I don't think I ever met the guy. I didn't reassign him. People get reassigned. People tell me he was never for me, anyway. He's an angry Democrat never-Trumper. Somebody should impeach him. He's a third rate doctor who voted for Hillary. He talked to me all the time and he sounded like an idiot, so I had him reassigned as a favor. He should thank me for not firing. Maybe I should have. Knowing him the way I do, I bet he's writing a fake book filled with fake news.

You were right. “I’ve never heard of him.”

20 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

I gave up watching them almost a month ago. My blood pressure hasn’t been this good in awhile.

• Like 1

Just now, 4th&Five said:

“If we tested 100% of the people it wouldn’t be enough for the media.”

Reporter points out we’re at 1.2%

He’s such a dumbfuck. You don’t have to test 100 percent. Must have missed a statistics course at Wharton. I always hated those classes because they proved me wrong all the time.

Oh have mercy, I succumbed and tuned in on the computer (Battlestar G marathon is on the tv so I'm not going to win that battle, I'm outnumbered).

The border's been turned off over the years? I didn't know there was a switch.

I'd like to know how he has been the best ever for farmers.

8 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

He needs to borrow an apostrophe from his President. And maybe repeat third grade. I'm pretty sure he didn't screenprint that shirt himself since there are two multi-syllable words.

I'm pretty sure that t-shirt was a misprint from his group's  "Tranny Response Team" offering back in the Great Bathroom Crisis of '17.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

“If we tested 100% of the people it wouldn’t be enough for the media.”

Reporter points out we’re at 1.2%

He's a master with the whiny ass rhetorical fallacies, gotta give him that. I think this is a strawman/ad hominem combo. Unless I'm forgetting one that covers this specific form of sniveling pussy. 

I watched about 5 minutes of the “press conference” and all I got out of it was he has been the best President EVER to Farmers, the best President EVER to senior citizens and he built the greatest economy in the history of the world in just 3 years.  I then had to turn on Netflix and watch some Bob Ross painting show to relax.  

3 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

More on the woman from Idaho that got arrested for trespassing. She's virulently anti-vaccination. No way!

From your article:

This protest, which was livestreamed on Facebook, was a followup to a large rally against stay-at-home restrictions organized by a coalition of radical groups. They include the anti-vaccine group Health Freedom Alliance, the gun rights groups the Second Amendment Alliance, and the Idaho Freedom Foundation, a far-right conservative group that wields significant power in the state.

Those groups? That is exactly what Jeremy Menchik was talking about (in the Republican Party thread) when he discussed the strategy of getting disparate groups to band together (like the Tea Party did) and why it is important to know that this is a deliberate strategy for the GOP because it is successful and it will get them re-elected if Democrats and Independents do not actively get out and vote and work against this.

Spoiler

Menchik:

This framing shapes voter behavior. Experimental research shows frames encouraging individuals to consider political problems in terms of dispositional blame prompts populist voting while encouragement to consider these same problems situationally doesn't...

...Continued protests will polarize the electorate. Research by McVeigh, Cunningham and Farrell (ASR 2014) demonstrates “Radical social movements can exacerbate tensions in local settings while drawing attn to how movement goals align with political party agenda.”

Continued protests will distract the electorate. If the election is a fight between Trump vs Governors who refuse to open their economies, Trump doesn’t have to defend his record on COVID-19. He's an advocate for liberty!

Continued protests will help Trump rebuild his coalition of 2016. Scholars of digital social movements emphasize a logic of connective action not collective action; where personalized content sharing across media networks enables coalition building.These protests have something for everyone: small-business concerns for the working class, anti-elitism for resentful rural whites, fetishism of guns for NRA, dislike of govt for traditional conservatives. It’s a cross-cutting issue even amid a pandemic. Continued protests will signal a winning issue for GOP officials, who will further rally behind Trump. Research on elite perception of public opinion suggests that elected officials often fail to accurately perceive their constituent’s views. Protests will signal those views in such as a way as to drive elected official’s behavior, and may be especially important to politicians who have attached themselves to the president’s coattails.

Watch how the GOP pols react versus what various other pols do and say. Trump is going to keep them guessing (the GOP pols) so that the ground is shaky underfoot. Lot of money fixing to flow.

20 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I watched about 5 minutes of the “press conference” and all I got out of it was he has been the best President EVER to Farmers, the best President EVER to senior citizens and he built the greatest economy in the history of the world in just 3 years.  I then had to turn on Netflix and watch some Bob Ross painting show to relax.  

We appreciate your service. I for one cannot watch, so you suffering through it and summarizing it is helpful to myself and others.