CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

15 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

It's unconstitutional for a city to decide to close their parks? I'm definitely not a constitutional scholar but I fairly certain that the constitution doesn't address usage of city parks during a crisis.  

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's unconstitutional for a city to decide to close their parks? I'm definitely not a constitutional scholar but I fairly certain that the constitution doesn't address usage of city parks during a crisis.  

I think it's in there right after ice cream shoppes & nail salons.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Found this interesting. I think some reopening would be possible if we followed this model, or at least some of it. The problem is Americans would never adhere to these limits. We've already seen it when some beaches were opened. Within a week there would be zero social distancing. There's no way we follow rules appropriately enough to do what needs to be done.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Because we are a broken society.

The ethos in Sweden, Norway, Denmark, etc., very much involves understanding your place in the whole, and your role as a member of the commonwealth.  There's a real belief in being part of society, and how your actions impact others.  Seriously, it's an inherent part of who they are and how they make their way in the world.

The ethos here, however, is "FUCK YOU I CAN DO WHAT I WANT!"  And that's it.  Our ethos is 100% "ME" and 0% "WE."  Which has been making things worse and worse for all of us over many years, and is now reaching its obvious culmination -- the tragedy of the commons writ large.

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I've been to Sweden. They practice social distancing as a standard. I got chewed out because I was standing too close to someone at a bus stop. Of course my friend had to translate for me, but I got the gist. They're a strange culture.

I just wanted to quickly post something about Sweden that I put in the DT thread. I think it important to give some context to Sweden's "success" story:

"I hadn't really picked up on the fact that Stockholm is the main part of Sweden really experiencing an outbreak right now. The entire metro area is only 2.4 million people. If all the current deaths (1,937) are from there, you're talking about .08% of the population. That seems like a lot given (1) they are estimating 20% infected, and (2) they've attempted to limit exposure to the elderly population. Let's say the 20% infection estimate is right, that means a CFR of .4% among a group that is supposed to be largely younger and healthier. It also means that Stockholm is actually just behind New York in deaths per million residents (NY at ~1,000, Stockholm at ~800). That outbreak is actually quite a bit worse than I understood. Really good on them for keeping their healthcare system from being overwhelmed so far. "

Although, I've gone into some source data now and looks like only half of their deaths are in Stockholm (1070). So that would put it closer to New Jersey, Spain, and Italy in deaths per million. It'd also knock the CFR down to .22% assuming that 20% number is correct.  They also break down deaths by age, and so far those under 70 account for only 12% of their fatalities (I feel like this is weighted a lot older than what we are seeing in the US numbers, but I haven't found a good breakdown by age).  Here is the source: https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/09f821667ce64bf7be6f9f87457ed9aa

I'm not saying that what they have done is bad. But, it really doesn't seem as good as people are making out. The most impressive thing is that apparently their healthcare system hasn't collapsed under the weight of what is happening in Stockholm. But those are results would be pretty horrible for us nationally. You apply that same death per capita to the US and get 145,000 dead. And that's assuming no more deaths at all in Sweden. But I guess if you're going to get the deaths anyway, managing to somewhat limit the economic damage isn't bad. 

• Like 4

Just now, Dahobbs said:

I just wanted to quickly post something about Sweden that I put in the DT thread. I think it important to give some context to Sweden's "success" story:

"I hadn't really picked up on the fact that Stockholm is the main part of Sweden really experiencing an outbreak right now. The entire metro area is only 2.4 million people. If all the current deaths (1,937) are from there, you're talking about .08% of the population. That seems like a lot given (1) they are estimating 20% infected, and (2) they've attempted to limit exposure to the elderly population. Let's say the 20% infection estimate is right, that means a CFR of .4% among a group that is supposed to be largely younger and healthier. It also means that Stockholm is actually just behind New York in deaths per million residents (NY at ~1,000, Stockholm at ~800). That outbreak is actually quite a bit worse than I understood. Really good on them for keeping their healthcare system from being overwhelmed so far. "

Although, I've gone into some source data now and looks like only half of their deaths are in Stockholm (1070). So that would put it closer to New Jersey, Spain, and Italy in deaths per million. It'd also knock the CFR down to .22% assuming that 20% number is correct.  They also break down deaths by age, and so far those under 70 account for only 12% of their fatalities (I feel like this is weighted a lot older than what we are seeing in the US numbers, but I haven't found a good breakdown by age).  Here is the source: https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/09f821667ce64bf7be6f9f87457ed9aa

I'm not saying that what they have done is bad. But, it really doesn't seem as good as people are making out. The most impressive thing is that apparently their healthcare system hasn't collapsed under the weight of what is happening in Stockholm. But those are results would be pretty horrible for us nationally. You apply that same death per capita to the US and get 145,000 dead. And that's assuming no more deaths at all in Sweden. But I guess if you're going to get the deaths anyway, managing to somewhat limit the economic damage isn't bad. 

Oh, there's even more to it - when you compare the approaches and outcomes between Sweden and Norway (Norway went on a real lockdown pretty early, Sweden took the "casual measures" we've all seen, even though they were somewhat effective due to how their society works), Norway crushed 'em.  Norway has like 1/10th the deaths that Sweden does, with half the population (so, Norway did 5X better).

You have neighboring countries with similar populations, two different approaches, and two VERY different performances.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Something something the federal government has always been broken something something

****HHS Secretary "Azar told associates such calls would alarm the industry and make the administration look unprepared."***

Yeah, because that same calls weeks later won't alarm the industry and will make the administration look way more prepared!

Brilliant!! We are dealing with children.

Edited by yoladu
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Found this interesting. I think some reopening would be possible if we followed this model, or at least some of it. The problem is Americans would never adhere to these limits. We've already seen it when some beaches were opened. Within a week there would be zero social distancing. There's no way we follow rules appropriately enough to do what needs to be done.

have a friend that is a swede...i'm recalling this info from a 15 year old memory bank, but he told me that there was a study done to measure the average distance between people that was socially acceptable between different cultures (basically, what is 'personal space' between countries) and that Swedes ranked last, meaning they had the furthest distance between people that was socially acceptable. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Americans threw away all their freedoms and condoned a surveillance state constantly spying on them because of 3k deaths. Americans are acting like their rights (which they threw away for 3k deaths) are being violated and are ignoring a threat that's killing well over 50k Americans in less than 2 months. 

Why are Americans so fucking stupid? 

Who's that guy that moved to the Czech this year? How does one go about this?

That's Dixon Hur, if I recall correctly.  Perhaps we could get our resident expats to prepare a FAQ for some go-to jurisdictions (Czech Republic, Canada, New Zealand, etc.).  If the voter suppression works in 2020, it feels like a lot of us are going to be looking at options - and no time like the present to do a bit of research, just in case.

• Like 1

SIAP, but looks like Abbott's gonna be opening up Texas starting Monday, one way or the other. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/public-health/2020/04/22/texas-gov-greg-abbott-says-visits-to-hair-salons-and-shopping-inside-stores-could-be-coming-soon/

Greg Abbott said on Wednesday that Texans, at least in many parts of the state, soon may be able to visit hair salons and stores.

Previewing what he has said could be a lifting of his stay-at-home order on Monday, Abbott told a conservative radio talk-show host that he’s determined Texas should keep its ranking by some publications as the nation’s most business-friendly state.

“We’re going to be making an announcement opening so many different types of businesses, where you’re going to be able to go to a hair salon, … go to any type of retail establishment you want to go to, different things like that, with a structure in place that will ensure that we slow the spread of the coronavirus,” he said.

Life “is not going to be like it was before,” and Texas “won’t be fully opened,” but restrictions he ordered last month will be significantly eased.

So let me get this straight....

Georgia, Vegas and now to some extent, Texas, will open up businesses which means their costs will go up by bringing back employees, buying supplies etc....

Then when only 15% of their business returns they will lose even more money.

Great fucking idea not to mention the increase in the spread of the virus.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The more you test, the more positive cases you find. That looks bad for Trump. Remember when he wanted to make the sick passengers stay on the cruise ship so it wouldn't affect his numbers? It's the same thing. The only thing increased testing can do for Trump is show us how much worse the crisis really is. It would also help us better combat the pandemic but it would be politically harmful to Trump so fuck you. 

Probably it. It's so very disappointing and depressing that he's not getting extreme pressure across both parties about this indefensible shit.

It's not that different from if we got invaded and the federal govt did nothing at all about it except tell the states to take care of it and stop complaining. 

Edited by Hookah Horns
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

So let me get this straight....

Georgia, Vegas and now to some extent, Texas, will open up businesses which means their costs will go up by bringing back employees, buying supplies etc....

Then when only 15% of their business returns they will lose even more money.

Great fucking idea not to mention the increase in the spread of the virus.  

But at least a few morons get to go bowling and bask in the sweet, sweet freedom to spread disease. 

Absolutely, he should be catching shit from both sides of the aisle. His whole approach has been image based, how the pandemic affects his image specificaly for re-election.

I find it telling he didn't see this as an opportunity to display his competence and leadership in a very tough situation. Even Trump knows Trump is a nincompoop and no hope of displaying actual leadership.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, yoladu said:

****HHS Secretary "Azar told associates such calls would alarm the industry and make the administration look unprepared."***

Yeah, because that same calls weeks later won't alarm the industry and will make the administration look way more prepared!

God dammit.  Just god fucking dammit.

On 4/16/2020 at 4:59 PM, horn4life said:

So the plan is no testing, let the visibly healthy asymptomatic spreaders spread the virus and later say, "nobody would have guessed!" very loudly..

I don't bother to watch the"it's not my fault and let me praise myself hours every night.  Not when we waste week, after week, month after month have the President deny testing is needed.  Simply to avoid accountability and responsibility that the office of the Presidency normally bears.

So the plan is basically a nationwide game of Russian Roulette; where there are just a lot more empty chambers , but simply and largely a game of chance.  Trump is gonna say. "Good luck America, I am not responsible for testing! So when you or a loved one does get infected , remember it's the governor's not my fault there isn't more testing." And we repeat and ride this crazy into graveyard after graveyard.

It's sad that the above scenario is all we are going to. get from our President simply because the moron honestly believes he will not be responsible for the lack of testing because he told us he's not responsible for anything bot the good stuff.  We are a fucking badass country and if only the President would decide to tell every lab in the country to start producing tests, we cold whip this shit.  Instead another week of fiddle, piddle, stew and deny.  All while the bodies pile up.

I guess sadly there is really nothing more to post than EXACTLY I did almost a week ago.  Just a big game of Russian Roulette and Trump trying desperately and impossibly trying to avoid the responsibility for the obvious. While not doing to most obvious thing to help the country.  Piddle, stir and piddle... like waiting for a flight at the airport bar.

26 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

SIAP, but looks like Abbott's gonna be opening up Texas starting Monday, one way or the other. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/public-health/2020/04/22/texas-gov-greg-abbott-says-visits-to-hair-salons-and-shopping-inside-stores-could-be-coming-soon/

Greg Abbott said on Wednesday that Texans, at least in many parts of the state, soon may be able to visit hair salons and stores.

Previewing what he has said could be a lifting of his stay-at-home order on Monday, Abbott told a conservative radio talk-show host that he’s determined Texas should keep its ranking by some publications as the nation’s most business-friendly state.

“We’re going to be making an announcement opening so many different types of businesses, where you’re going to be able to go to a hair salon, … go to any type of retail establishment you want to go to, different things like that, with a structure in place that will ensure that we slow the spread of the coronavirus,” he said.

Life “is not going to be like it was before,” and Texas “won’t be fully opened,” but restrictions he ordered last month will be significantly eased.

Here's an anecdote:

I spoke with 2 PA's in Dallas a couple of nights ago that said they are absolutely not allowed to test everyone.  They don't have the quantity of tests needed and have been ordered to save them for only extreme cases, which helps explain our relatively low state totals.  One said she straight up had to turn someone away who she was 100% sure had it, but didn't exhibit the proper symptoms.  

This will be fine I'm sure.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, yoladu said:

They needed a few days to dump stock.

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is probably correct and we should be sharpening the guillotines.

Gibbets, man. Gibbets. Guillotines are too quick for people who saw a pandemic incoming and only recognized an opportunity to profit from killing Americans.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

Actions of a mentally ill president. 

I don't think I ever met the guy. I didn't reassign him. People get reassigned. People tell me he was never for me, anyway. He's an angry Democrat never-Trumper. Somebody should impeach him. He's a third rate doctor who voted for Hillary. He talked to me all the time and he sounded like an idiot, so I had him reassigned as a favor. He should thank me for not firing. Maybe I should have. Knowing him the way I do, I bet he's writing a fake book filled with fake news.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Gibbets, man. Gibbets. Guillotines are too quick for people who saw a pandemic incoming and only recognized an opportunity to profit from killing Americans.

I hear ya, but you gotta think about the volume of fuckers that deserve to go for the last 3+ years.  We can't just have bodies hanging around when so many still deserve their due.  Unless we can get gibbets production ramped up quickly, we're going to need something with more throughput.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, pacman said:

Absolutely, he should be catching shit from both sides of the aisle. His whole approach has been image based, how the pandemic affects his image specificaly for re-election.

I find it telling he didn't see this as an opportunity to display his competence and leadership in a very tough situation. Even Trump knows Trump is a nincompoop and no hope of displaying actual leadership.

When covid first hit the news, I thought "there's no way this can be politicized, this could help galvanize the country against a common enemy and reverse some of the polarization." 

I'm regarded. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, elfenix said:

ah yes, the trump answer:

i'm looking over this and i don't see "state" listed anywhere

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/11/109

He's thinking that this is only going to impact New York and California.  But I have bad news for him.  Because of the price of oil, it's Texas, Oklahoma, Wyoming, and North Dakota that are going to go bankrupt a whole lot faster than California or New York.

Fucking stupid motherfucker.

7 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

I hear ya, but you gotta think about the volume of fuckers that deserve to go for the last 3+ years.  We can't just have bodies hanging around when so many still deserve their due.  Unless we can get gibbets production ramped up quickly, we're going to need something with more throughput.

I’ve heard about this cool statute called the Defense Production Act that we could use if we needed a lot of something really quickly.

2 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

You know what pisses me off the most about these briefings? The complete lack of scientific talk. He’s literally going on about 4th of July celebrations like people aren’t dying by the thousands. 

Part of me doesn't know how y'all still watch the dumpster fireside chats. I can only handle so much outrage. But the other part wants to rubber neck at the latest train wreck. 

• Like 1