CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

18 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

From your article:

Those groups? That is exactly what Jeremy Menchik was talking about (in the Republican Party thread) when he discussed the strategy of getting disparate groups to band together (like the Tea Party did) and why it is important to know that this is a deliberate strategy for the GOP because it is successful and it will get them re-elected if Democrats and Independents do not actively get out and vote and work against this.

Reveal hidden contents

Menchik:

This framing shapes voter behavior. Experimental research shows frames encouraging individuals to consider political problems in terms of dispositional blame prompts populist voting while encouragement to consider these same problems situationally doesn't...

...Continued protests will polarize the electorate. Research by McVeigh, Cunningham and Farrell (ASR 2014) demonstrates “Radical social movements can exacerbate tensions in local settings while drawing attn to how movement goals align with political party agenda.”

Continued protests will distract the electorate. If the election is a fight between Trump vs Governors who refuse to open their economies, Trump doesn’t have to defend his record on COVID-19. He's an advocate for liberty!

Continued protests will help Trump rebuild his coalition of 2016. Scholars of digital social movements emphasize a logic of connective action not collective action; where personalized content sharing across media networks enables coalition building.These protests have something for everyone: small-business concerns for the working class, anti-elitism for resentful rural whites, fetishism of guns for NRA, dislike of govt for traditional conservatives. It’s a cross-cutting issue even amid a pandemic. Continued protests will signal a winning issue for GOP officials, who will further rally behind Trump. Research on elite perception of public opinion suggests that elected officials often fail to accurately perceive their constituent’s views. Protests will signal those views in such as a way as to drive elected official’s behavior, and may be especially important to politicians who have attached themselves to the president’s coattails.

Watch how the GOP pols react versus what various other pols do and say. Trump is going to keep them guessing (the GOP pols) so that the ground is shaky underfoot. Lot of money fixing to flow.

Give me liberty and give me death!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Here's an anecdote:

I spoke with 2 PA's in Dallas a couple of nights ago that said they are absolutely not allowed to test everyone.  They don't have the quantity of tests needed and have been ordered to save them for only extreme cases, which helps explain our relatively low state totals.  One said she straight up had to turn someone away who she was 100% sure had it, but didn't exhibit the proper symptoms.  

This will be fine I'm sure.

I don't even have a big problem with that.  We've put our front-line medical personnel in a no-win situation.  "You don't have enough test kits?  Too bad.  You'd better not waste any."

12 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Well hello there Elizabeth.  

artworks-000511981365-tqh38r-t500x500.jp

9 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

In Texas so I'm probably not supposed to say this, but Nashville has good bbq sauce so you could probably go on a road trip to counter protest, pick up some barbecue and maybe Elizabeth.

fify

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

In Texas so I'm probably not supposed to say this, but Nashville has good bbq so you could probably go on a road trip to counter protest, pick up some barbecue and maybe Elizabeth.

um, no. apples and oranges. I will eat Nashville bbq if I'm actually in Nashville. beyond that, nah

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Gibbets, man. Gibbets. Guillotines are too quick for people who saw a pandemic incoming and only recognized an opportunity to profit from killing Americans.

I respectfully submit a request to reform the Tar and Feather Party.

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

What this country needs to get us past the pandemic is an air show.

Can you get a disinformation rumor started that Trump is going to go Jade Helm and the air show is a cover for the parachutists who will drop in and steal the protestor's guns? That way they will stay home and inside.

23 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't even have a big problem with that.  We've put our front-line medical personnel in a no-win situation.  "You don't have enough test kits?  Too bad.  You'd better not waste any."

Exactly my point. They can only do what they can. It’s fucking horrible the federal government has put us in this situation. 

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Ha ha, you fucking pussy:

94380065_10222634443752196_2279421856467

His wife is pegging his sweet ass tonight.  Weak ass beta cuck.  To keep his ego intact, what’s it gonna take.  Gonna have to tell the boys at Cracker Barrel that he made that candystriper cry and put that libtard in her place.  

3 hours ago, yoladu said:

****HHS Secretary "Azar told associates such calls would alarm the industry and make the administration look unprepared."***

Yeah, because that same calls weeks later won't alarm the industry and will make the administration look way more prepared!

Brilliant!! We are dealing with children.

Children may be incompetent and dumb like Azar, but they're usually not also corrupt and evil. 

You can't make this shit up. Totally implausible storyline. But, you see he's really dumb and needs his ego stroked constantly. These notes from the fans keep him going. He thinks they help.

Another competent individual quit working for Trump. Again, it's not the people that actually do the work at HHS,BARDA,EPA,CDC FDA and the hundreds of others. Most of the time they do a pretty solid job. Think of it like the TDA. Sid is an idiot. The local agents generally are not. The years of peddling the idea that government regulations are bad is finally bearing bitter fruit. The war on expertise, rational politics, and a functional bureaucracy has yielded this. Fixing problems in an agency doesn't have to mean it's dismantling. 

We're going to have a lot of shit to fix. 

Edited by cactusflinthead
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

He's telling stories. He is going to have a "Best of ..." show when he is back on television. Kind of like a That's Entertainment episode where he hosts his own collection of stories from all of his speeches.

I get this reference because we are both old

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

Americans threw away all their freedoms and condoned a surveillance state constantly spying on them because of 3k deaths. Americans are acting like their rights (which they threw away for 3k deaths) are being violated and are ignoring a threat that's killing well over 50k Americans in less than 2 months. 

Why are Americans so fucking stupid? 

Who's that guy that moved to the Czech this year? How does one go about this?

I currently work in South Korea and will retire to a little spot by the sea on an island in the Philippines some day in the future.  The main ways to get a visa in many foreign countries (outside of employment or marriage) are retirement visas which usually require showing a steady income stream (like social security and/or pensions) or investment visas which require investing or depositing X amount of dollars into a business or bank in that country. Most countries have some form of the latter while the former is a smaller number, mostly in South America or Asia.

Edited by Jhawkmvp

16 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

The cocksucker has a point on this one imo. 

Sounds like Dr. Bright is more like a player with a career average over .300:

Rick Bright, Ph.D., is director of the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA) and acting Deputy Assistant Secretary in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response within HHS. 

Dr. Bright previously served as Director of the Influenza and Emerging Infectious Diseases Division in the BARDA where he was responsible for preparing the nation for influenza pandemics and coordinating production, acquisition and delivery of medical countermeasures during a pandemic response. In this role, he managed a portfolio of projects for advanced development of vaccines, therapeutics, diagnostics and respirator devices to aid in the response and protection against pandemic and seasonal influenza.

Dr. Bright joined BARDA in 2010 to lead the BARDA Influenza Division International Program, supporting programs to build and enhance global capacity for influenza vaccine production and evaluation in developing countries. Dr. Bright serves as an international subject matter expert on influenza, vaccines and therapeutics development and diagnostic programs. He has also serves as an advisor to the World Health Organization and the US Department of Defense.

Dr. Bright began his career in influenza vaccine and therapeutics development at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Influenza Division. At the CDC, he focused on avian and human viruses from multiple perspectives including immunology and vaccine development, viral pathogenesis and molecular correlates of pathogenicity, as well as antiviral drugs and development novel assays for high throughput surveillance for resistance to antiviral drugs. Dr. Bright was a recipient of the Charles C. Shepard Science Award for Scientific Excellence. 

Dr. Bright has also worked in the biotechnology industry where he serves as the Director of Immunology at Altea Therapeutics and Vice President of Research and Development and Global Influenza Programs at Novavax, Inc. In 2008, Dr. Bright joined PATH as the Scientific Director of the Influenza Vaccine Project in the Vaccine Development Global Program and the Director of the Influenza Vaccine Capacity Building Project in Vietnam. In this capacity, he provided technical leadership to accelerate the development of innovative vaccine and adjuvant candidates against influenza to ensure protection and access to vaccines for populations of developing countries.

• Like 4

Just now, Bozo_Casanova said:

I get this reference because we are both old

I'm old, but not in an Armybrat kind of way. My parents, however, were old-fashioned so there was a lot of old television, old VCR tapes, and whatnot. My grandmother also lived with us, so I got a lot of exposure to popular culture from a wide range.

59 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

In Texas so I'm probably not supposed to say this, but Nashville has good bbq so you could probably go on a road trip to counter protest, pick up some barbecue and maybe Elizabeth.

Now see, if you had said fried chicken I'd be right there with ya. But BBQ is serious bidness round here.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RPM said:

Now see, if you had said fried chicken I'd be right there with ya. But BBQ is serious bidness round here.

Most definitely. I don't mind ranking bbq within types (i.e. best of Texas, best southern style, best KC style, etc) but I am a dilettante in the world of barbecue. I sample, I eat, I enjoy but I proclaim no loyalty to any one specific style. It's all good when done right within its special unique regional way. Not everyone shares that opinion, but that's okay, I'll not war over good food and fellowship.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

In what way? The doctor received awards for his work by his peers. I suppose that's not germane to the point, but Trump took her poorly framed question and upended it.

Ah, I didn't know he was of some renown. Thought she was caught talking out of her ass in calling some rank and file bureaucrat she doesn't know "gifted."

Alas, it was I who was caught talking via butt. 

My bad. Serves me right to look dumb for giving dotard the benefit of the doubt and siding with him about anything. 

Edited by Hookah Horns
  • Like 3

He's thinking that this is only going to impact New York and California.  But I have bad news for him.  Because of the price of oil, it's Texas, Oklahoma, Wyoming, and North Dakota that are going to go bankrupt a whole lot faster than California or New York.
Fucking stupid motherfucker.

Cocaine mitch is a compromised dickhead, a horrible man, and a traitor. He is not stupid.
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, HornPhD said:

Sounds like Dr. Bright is more like a player with a career average over .300:

Rick Bright, Ph.D., is director of the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA) and acting Deputy Assistant Secretary in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response within HHS. 

Dr. Bright previously served as Director of the Influenza and Emerging Infectious Diseases Division in the BARDA where he was responsible for preparing the nation for influenza pandemics and coordinating production, acquisition and delivery of medical countermeasures during a pandemic response. In this role, he managed a portfolio of projects for advanced development of vaccines, therapeutics, diagnostics and respirator devices to aid in the response and protection against pandemic and seasonal influenza.

Dr. Bright joined BARDA in 2010 to lead the BARDA Influenza Division International Program, supporting programs to build and enhance global capacity for influenza vaccine production and evaluation in developing countries. Dr. Bright serves as an international subject matter expert on influenza, vaccines and therapeutics development and diagnostic programs. He has also serves as an advisor to the World Health Organization and the US Department of Defense.

Dr. Bright began his career in influenza vaccine and therapeutics development at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Influenza Division. At the CDC, he focused on avian and human viruses from multiple perspectives including immunology and vaccine development, viral pathogenesis and molecular correlates of pathogenicity, as well as antiviral drugs and development novel assays for high throughput surveillance for resistance to antiviral drugs. Dr. Bright was a recipient of the Charles C. Shepard Science Award for Scientific Excellence. 

Dr. Bright has also worked in the biotechnology industry where he serves as the Director of Immunology at Altea Therapeutics and Vice President of Research and Development and Global Influenza Programs at Novavax, Inc. In 2008, Dr. Bright joined PATH as the Scientific Director of the Influenza Vaccine Project in the Vaccine Development Global Program and the Director of the Influenza Vaccine Capacity Building Project in Vietnam. In this capacity, he provided technical leadership to accelerate the development of innovative vaccine and adjuvant candidates against influenza to ensure protection and access to vaccines for populations of developing countries.

Yeah?  Well, I bet he's not a high honors graduate of the Wharton Undergraduate School of Bidness, UPenn.

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

You can't make this shit up. Totally implausible storyline. But, you see he's really dumb and needs his ego stroked constantly. These notes from the fans keep him going. He thinks they help.

Another competent individual quit working for Trump. Again, it's not the people that actually do the work at HHS,BARDA,EPA,CDC FDA and the hundreds of others. Most of the time they do a pretty solid job. Think of it like the TDA. Sid is an idiot. The local agents generally are not. The years of peddling the idea that government regulations are bad is finally bearing bitter fruit. The war on expertise, rational politics, and a functional bureaucracy has yielded this. Fixing problems in an agency doesn't have to mean it's dismantling. 

We're going to have a lot of shit to fix. 

I can't wait until we're safely past the dark age of Trump and I can revisit and enjoy the trove of absurdist hilarity he's provided. 

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Dammit is there no way to find out who made the tiktok? She sounds hot and want to confirm. 

Anyone else believe you can tell if a chick is hot based on her voice with a high degree of accuracy? 

I haven't known any hot chicks to willingly do math, though. 

Edited by Hookah Horns
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

HOLY SHIT.

This is a follow up to the Karen getting arrested at the playground. 

This is the mob outside of the arresting officer's house.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/g69sul/protesters_gather_outside_of_officers_home/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

Rant.

FUCK YOU ultra right wing motherfuckers. If this were a Latino or black mob confronting this officer's house, the Republican idiots would be calling for a full out SWAT assault on the people. Right wing nutjobs with AR15s would descend on the town looking to lynch people. But since it's crazy fucking suburban Trump idiots, then these people are patriots fighting tyranny. FUCK YOU!

I think the far right severely underestimates the number of people on the left (and in their world that's a larger number than in mine) that are armed just as well as they are. I live in Austin. I know several of them. 

Just a weird observation based off that post. Ignore me

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

“We really should look into that. We should have some of the really smart people we have reading up about that. 

Some people say we’re going to have zero cases someday. That’s the way it is in this war. One minute no one can see it coming and the next minute no one can see it going. So, in a matter of speaking I already won the war.”

57 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Dammit is there no way to find out who made the tiktok? She sounds hot and want to confirm. 

Anyone else believe you can tell if a chick is hot based on her voice with a high degree of accuracy? 

I haven't known any hot chicks to willingly do math, though. 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

So let me get this straight....

Georgia, Vegas and now to some extent, Texas, will open up businesses which means their costs will go up by bringing back employees, buying supplies etc....

Then when only 15% of their business returns they will lose even more money.

Great fucking idea not to mention the increase in the spread of the virus.  

I think a lot of these politicians don't understand how the free market works. Trump and company saying they are going to open up the economy is basically this...

50 Cent Rap GIF

• Like 9