CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

It would help if Dr. Birx (supposedly in charge of the data) would be speaking publicly instead of holding teleconferences with outbreak areas. I am assuming she isn't allowed to have a briefing to the public. Fauci has been making the rounds when permitted to get the word out, but the way in which the health authorities WITH ACTUAL RELEVANCE IN THE FIELD OF INFECTIOUS DISEASES have been sidelined is problematic. Imagine if Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome/Human Immunodeficiency Virus first broke out during this Administration. Not pretty. It was difficult enough as it was.

5 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

And you think all of those states are “essentially done” with the virus?  

Sorry that’s being too blunt. What I’d say is with hospitalizations all clearly trending down in the south we are on the backside of the initial outbreak. And I’m starting to think it will be the majority of the Covid impact we’ll face. 

Narrator:  "...the majority of the Covid impact we'll face.  He said...on August 17th.  Days before thousands of more schools open and three months before the start of cold/flu season."  

While I hope that you are correct regarding the COVID impact, I do not share your optimism. It is wonderful to see the hospitalizations trending down in the south. Perhaps many finally woke up to the small steps that holding functions out of doors, wearing masks, and not having birthday parties with elderly grandparents and thirty relatives who have just gotten back from clubbing can have.

One of the more difficult issues that I'm observing is that due to the local nature of ISDs having to determine whether F2F or online or a mix is appropriate, there will be no one set date that one can easily point to with respect to affects that schools will have upon the numbers this fall. On the one hand, if the virus isn't overwhelming an area, guidelines have suggested that schools can open (which makes some sense). On the other hand, ISDs are arbitrary boundaries and this could get real ugly real fast. A top down structured flowchart strategy would have been so helpful in that regard. Guess the dog ate the binder.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Replying to GRHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Sorry that’s being too blunt. What I’d say is with hospitalizations all clearly trending down in the south we are on the backside of the initial outbreak. And I’m starting to think it will be the majority of the Covid impact we’ll face. 

You also said several months ago that opening Texas was no big deal and you doubted that numbers would spike. I absolutely hope you're correct, but your track record isn't good. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Let me guess.  It's going to just disappear on 11/4; the day after you don't vote for Dotard. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, YChang said:

Good grief... I know there’s research that our brains are still developing until 30 or so. But man, college age kids really are stupid sometimes. 

The portion that assesses risk in 90% of humans is not done forming until around age 25.  

If you remember the scene in "Zero Dark Thirty" when the CIA Director (Gandolfini) meets the Bin Laden analyst (Chastain) in the Langley Canteen.  He asks her why the CIA recruited her, and others like her, out of high school.  She affirms she knows, but acknowledges verbally that she knows that they are not supposed to discuss why.  It's because of that, because analysts aged 18-25 won't look at threat assessments or mission success rates the same as older adults.  They'll see the situation for what it is, high risks notwithstanding, and ignore collateral damage/deaths/budgetary issues/etc.  Their raw analysis of the potential operation will then be taken to a higher-up for further "meshing" with reality.  

Take 19 year old Oklahomans and put it all through the assembly line and you eventually end up with a dead 95 year old Floridian.  

10 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Wait, are we talking about oleander, the very same plant that was the subject of a Forensic Files because it was used in tandem with anti-freeze to literally kill someone by poisoning, is something the mypillow guy thinks will cure covid?  Death. Cult.

You know what the second craziest thing about that is? In the article that @HenryJames posted about it, no one is questioning why Ben Carson (on the Task Force) and Mike Lindell (who bought a stake in the company promoting this extract) are in conversations with each other about COVID treatments and then perhaps profiting off of them after influencing health policy. No one is batting an eyelash that this is a tremendous conflict anymore because the GRIFT HAS BECOME NORMALIZED.

That the WH is considering promoting it as a dietary supplement in order to bypass FDA regulations and then rewrite how it can legally be promoted since you cannot make medical claims about the product "curing" COVID if it is labeled as a supplement will be negligible since Trump will just tweet about it and Fox will promote it. Check out Phoenix Biotechnology (the company listed in the article). Several Texans, do you all know any of them? (besides Lindell)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, GRHorn said:

This thread looks at the numbers across multiple areas with breakouts. Almost no where gets over 20% antibodies. I think existing T cell immunity is the reason. If that hypothesis is right, large parts of our country are essentially done with this. 

Ah, sure, Sweden.  They have the sixth highest death rate in the world, not including micronations.  We should definitely be following them.  I mean, if you compare Sweden, a country with with one of the lowest population densities in Europe, to NYC, one of the highest population densities in the world...something, something...let's play some football. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Still convinced I had it back in January when there were not tests available. Felt like the flu and dengue all in one. Was told I had strep (no test was given for it), given a shit ton on antibiotics and sent my merry way. 

On the Sweden anti-body tests, it was not a random sample.  They were out of cities, and self-selected. 

That's according to medical technology company Werlabs, which analysed 83,000 tests in Stockholm, Gothenburg and Malmö.

Across all the tests, 14.4 percent showed a positive result, meaning the person tested had developed the antibody to fight against coronavirus and believed to protect against re-infection for at least a few months. Individuals can choose to do the tests, meaning that these 83,000 are not a representative sample even of these three cities.

"What we see in our measurements is that there is a levelling out of the levels in Stockholm. At the same time it's important to point out that this describes the prevalence of antibodies among the group that chooses to do the test," said Werlabs CEO Henrik Forsberg. "This group isn't representative of the whole population, but there is great informational value."

link to autoparts store...wait, not that would be stupid.

• Like 1

If I could only choose one medication going forward, I'd choose one of the common hypertension drugs as opposed to a vaccine or steroid or magic oleander extract, because my blood pressure is not heading back to normal any time soon.  I've never had high blood pressure, either, but I'd be scared to measure it now.  I think the top of my head is about to pop off.  

“Listening to experts to set policy is an elitist approach,” Thayn declared. “I’m also fearful that it leads to totalitarianism, especially when you say well, we’re doing it for the public good. America was founded on the idea that people weighed their own risks, did what they thought was best for their own interests. … The role of experts should be to give us the best information they have, and we should weigh it. They should never set policy.”

The words of Senator Steven Thayn of the great state of Idaho. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I looked at some of the comments, and folks were commenting (predictably) that they are mostly young people in the pic at Alabama and that young people don't get very sick, etc etc. While the folks are outside, what the locals there are apparently seeing is that when the bars close (11pm I believe is the order now) people are going to house parties. Not a good sign. Average age of professors at most American institutions is 55. Some schools have agreed to let the more vulnerable of their employees instruct via online while others have not. One might argue that the students will stay in their college community and not spread the virus to their family, but the residents of the college towns across America are going to get slammed from a health perspective and an economic one.

Buckle up, as this latest dip of the roller coaster was very mild, we're going uphill again.

7 hours ago, GRHorn said:

This guy has to be a hospital janitor - right? There's no way in hell he is possibly a doctor.

He actually said he'd let his license expire if he made a lot of money in bitcoin.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VRHorn said:

This guy has to be a hospital janitor - right? There's no way in hell he is possibly a doctor.

He actually said he'd let his license expire if he made a lot of money in bitcoin.

He’s a fucking troll buffoon. And not a very good one.

Edited by JimmyJames

9 hours ago, GRHorn said:

GRUHorn is actually one of the few posters who will actually admit he voted for trump. Which just makes him a more honest moron. If this is his prediction, buckle up for this fall as its gonna get far far worse. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Anastasis said:

wut?

4 hours ago, VRHorn said:

Yeah if I made a shit ton in Bitcoin and it was clear I didn’t need to work I wouldn’t continue practicing. So, if I didn’t want to ever practice again, why would I spend any money renewing my license or time doing continuing education to maintain it? What’s hard to understand about that?

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

Yeah if I made a shit ton in Bitcoin and it was clear I didn’t need to work I wouldn’t continue practicing. So, if I didn’t want to ever practice again, why would I spend any money renewing my license or time doing continuing education to maintain it? What’s hard to understand about that?

Because license renewals do not cost a lot and CE is easy to maintain and your license is something that you put a lot of time and energy and commitment into obtaining?  It defines a good bit of who you are professionally. 

I can't imagine any situation where I ever walk away from my license. But that's just me.  And to be clear my license is not a medical license. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1