CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

24 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Because license renewals do not cost a lot and CE is easy to maintain and your license is something that you put a lot of time and energy and commitment into obtaining?  It defines a good bit of who you are professionally. 

I can't imagine any situation where I ever walk away from my license. But that's just me.  And to be clear my license is not a medical license. 

Eh, if I was really putting it all the way behind me I wouldn’t worry about it. Really the only thing I’d miss is not being able to just call in meds for my wife or kids when they get sick. 

29 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Eh, if I was really putting it all the way behind me I wouldn’t worry about it. Really the only thing I’d miss is not being able to just call in meds for my wife or kids when they get sick. 

You would miss that if you actually had a medical license, which you obviously do not. 

12 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I made so much money on bitcoin that I decided to forego the few hundred bucks it would take to renew my law license I spent years to get, because as everyone knows, bitcoin profits last forever. 

Yeah. It just makes no sense. If you have a professional license, whether medical or nursing or pharmacy or law or engineering you are basically back stopped for life.   Why would you ever walk from that when the maintenance requirements are so low and the re entry requirements are relatively high. 

Edited by Anastasis

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah. It just makes no sense. If you have a professional license, whether medical or nursing or pharmacy or law or engineering you are basically back stopped for life.   Why would you ever walk from that when the maintenance requirements are so low.  

Yeppers. Profits off trading are nice. I wish I had them (I don’t). But to just throw away what is your potential backstop as you say because you had a good year trading is really fucking dumb. In fact, you have to be a complete idiot to do it because its not hard to keep, especially if you are doing good trading on something because you easily have the money to do it. Much harder to obtain it in the first place.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Sorry that’s being too blunt. What I’d say is with hospitalizations all clearly trending down in the south we are on the backside of the initial outbreak. And I’m starting to think it will be the majority of the Covid impact we’ll face. 

We won't find much to agree about politically, but I'm leaning to your conclusion as well.

VVVV   This graph isn't from having a come to Jesus moment around masks and staying home, it's largely about being caught flat footed or opening too much too soon, and facing viral spread burnout.

Efo6CxfXYAAqSo0?format=jpg&name=medium

Re states that were late to respond/opened too much too soon, or had pops resistant to masks and isolation/distancing, once hitting 20k infections/1M population, there seems to be a progression to rapid burnout of viral spread.  States that were early to shut down and got comparatively good cooperation are at post-peak levels with smaller cases/1M population.  But 20k/1M is shaping up  to be some kind of ceiling.  Don't see this strain of SARS-CoV-2 coming back nearly as bad as the first global wave, if at all. 

Edited by triplehorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

I made so much money on bitcoin that I decided to forego the few hundred bucks it would take to renew my law license I spent years to get, because as everyone knows, bitcoin profits last forever. 
Q: How do you make a small fortune in Butcoin?

A: First, you start with a large fortune...
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is the flu shot out yet?  I haven't seen any indications at my usual place.  I don't go indoors any more.

Which brings up a good point -- I'm gonna be looking for a mobile rig to come administer 7 of those babies ASAP.

It came out today. You can get it at Walgreens and probably CVS.

I’ve never gotten the flu shot before because I had the flu constantly as a kid in the 70s and 80s, so I never thought I needed it because of what I considered immunity and never got it once I started drinking whiskey and stopped drinking milk. 

But I will get it this year. 

I've gotten it almost every year for a couple of decades.  Never before any "sudden flu" or other such bullshit, although this year I got it late and immediately came down with a bizarre achy fatigue and a dry cough.  I seriously doubt it was the shot, it was more likely covid or some other virus.  Sure didn't feel like the flu I had ~ 1998, which sucked major ass.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've gotten it almost every year for a couple of decades.  Never before any "sudden flu" or other such bullshit, although this year I got it late and immediately came down with a bizarre achy fatigue and a dry cough.  I seriously doubt it was the shot, it was more likely covid or some other virus.  Sure didn't feel like the flu I had ~ 1998, which sucked major ass.

Had a flu shot every year for over a decade.  In that 15ish year period, I got a phantom light sickness for a week afterward only twice.  I skipped it two years ago because duane reade didnt take my insurance, and got sick as a dog with the actual flu that year. So went out of my way to get a flu shot last year. And will this year too.

iowa's been undercounting:

https://apnews.com/c15b742f95a73ba2a45f7e7bf7d7255d

IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — A state agency says it is working to fix a data error on Iowa’s coronavirus website that lowers the number of new confirmed cases and therefore downplays the severity of the current outbreak, just as schools are deciding whether to reopen.

The glitch means the Iowa Department of Public Health has inadvertently been reporting fewer new infections and a smaller percentage of daily positive tests than is truly the case, according to Dana Jones, an Iowa City nurse practitioner who uncovered the problem. It’s particularly significant because school districts are relying on state data to determine whether they will offer in-person instruction when school resumes in the coming days and weeks.

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is the flu shot out yet?  I haven't seen any indications at my usual place.  I don't go indoors any more.

Which brings up a good point -- I'm gonna be looking for a mobile rig to come administer 7 of those babies ASAP.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200817005115/en/Flu-Shots-Walgreens-Pharmacies

With flu shots now available daily at all Walgreens pharmacies, patients can safely and conveniently get their flu shots from specially trained Walgreens pharmacy teams.

Nah I saw it and was jealous as well.

Also, I get the flu shot every year, thinking about not getting it this year, because I don't foresee any changes that will mean I'm going out in public.  If all I'm doing is staying home I'm not catching any communicable diseases this winter, vaccine or not.  Can't believe I'm going to be in lockdown for over a year by the time a vaccine is finally available. 

20 hours ago, VRHorn said:

This guy has to be a hospital janitor - right? There's no way in hell he is possibly a doctor.

He actually said he'd let his license expire if he made a lot of money in bitcoin.

He's a flat out liar. I know that's hard to believe on an anonymous internet chat board. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

When this pic went viral yesterday I seemed to be the only one that thought how amazing it was that they got this shit under control already.

If this was a test run then the next far worse virus is on deck. If Trump wins re-election it'll be within 4 years. 

Decided to go back and look at some of my thoughts on this subject matter over time-

This post is from May 6th

Well I have largely quit posting on this subject, because watching the endless avoidance of the obvious is just too frustrating to rehash here.  The problem is still exactly the same, we need real testing to reopen the economy.  The pushed half ass Russian Roulette methodology that is what has been decided on instead.  A strategy that is sadly doomed to fail to do much other than ensure that I will be able to come weekly here in August decrying the lack of testing.  Week after week lost, turns into month after month lost, because people are not going to go out until they feel a sense of security.

Going to Academy, out to dinner, or anywhere else where the risk involves death is simply not something you can sell via bloviation.   You have to have people be confident, to get our economy moving again.  South Korea is going to be economically kicking our ass in another month or so as they get back to work, and we flounder due to lack of confidence, due to lack of solid risk information, due to.... lack of fucking testing.

Sadly we will eventually get testing, we will just piss away extra trillions to do the obvious.  What will get us there you ask?  Dead, country boy, gun toting, freedom loving, no pussy mask wearing, good old boys who listen and trust President Trump.  Unfortunately only those people dying might compel the President to do what has been obvious since early January. Not sure how high the death toll has to go before Trump's tiny brain can link the economy to adequate testing. Sort of sick knowing that the only hope to save the country right now is the widespread death of good ole boys...

From May 25th

2nd wave now assured.

Well Trump's message is getting though perfectly to the sheep that insist LOUDLY that "we are not sheep!" Having listened to a college educated man enjoy a few beverages over the weekend I found out the following. 

1) They don't need to wear a mask, it's a hoax.  If they feel sick they will wear a mask.  - So they don't know the very basics of why this virus is more dangerous, BECAUSE of asymptomatic transmission by people that "don't feel sick."  This lack of basic knowledge by watching Fox and listening to Rush is staggering to a science based and informed person like myself.

2) The media won't even cover the virus once Biden is elected!  The news coverage will just disappear and so well the virus. 

3) Bill Gates has a patent (or trademark it was confusing) on the vaccine!  When I pointed out that there were dozens upon dozens of different entities trying to develop a vaccine, they simply is NOT a vaccine to patent.   Just false shit that was fed to the Fox/Rush herd.  But this college educated father honestly believes these falsehoods.

4) We are grossly over counting the virus.  People are being classified as dying form the virus when they had cirrhosis of the liver!  I counter we are grossly undercounting the virus, specifically in states with Republican Governors where the numbers are being purposefully deflated. Again giving specific examples.  The "I don't like your facts begins to arise."

5) It would be great if he could buy into Medicare early, because retirement young is so expensive because of the $18K a year cost for insurance coverage his retired buddy pays. It's a fairly legitimate number for a non-group family plan.  This is the fault of... wait for it... Obamacare!  It was supposed to fix all this!

6) We have to get the economy back open!  It was stupid to shut it down and it's the Dems fault.  I retort, "Well when you do the dumbest fucking things possible you aren't left with any good choices because of the dumb fucking choices you already made.  I never wanted to shut down the economy, but shitting the bed on testing was the problem and lack of pushing for PPE in January was malpractice."  Mumble, mumble response, to which I sarcastically respond. "I am a fucking genius!  I was smarter than anyone in the Trump administration! I saw this coming off news reports back in early January the SECOND I heard anything out of China I knew it was bad."    I think the reply was Obama... something cop board bare.

7) "I don't know anyone who has had the virus."  To which I respond, you will.  Especially if people are not careful.  I state that this will spread through rural communities, even though they live a normal life of self-isolation.  The older age and need for the occasional central gathering in these rural areas will provide the opportunity for a concentrated spread. In other words, it will be Republican areas next.  I think that visually it may potentially be worse in the rural areas, where reductions in medicare reimbursements have shuttered and removed so many hospital beds.  The young kids leave the rural areas so the populations are older and the hospital beds fewer. I point out the "good news" that a lot of those folks may die at home, and not be counted as coronavirus deaths, so that's good GOP news.

So we are going to have exactly the outcome we tried to avoid by shutting down the damn economy.  A monster second wave.  Folks are watching and emulating our Presidents example of 'no mask, no worries." Fox News and the talk radio hosts also hide safely and encourage that the masks are silliness.  So the Trump plan is to get everyone back to normal.  Just do what you would normally do, and a mask is for pussy Democrats.  Not going to a crowded church is for pussy Dems (snd the Trump family as a whole) we need folks to get out there and get the economy going. So expect all the glimmers of college football to disappear by August 1st.  Sucks that we had to go right back to the dumbest thing possible.  But when the President of the United States makes all his decisions without facts or knowledge, you get a lot of fucking stupid decisions.  I was hoping that I would lose some money on my shorting the market and buy back into a Bull Market and enjoy college football this Fall.  

Instead I am going to risk a hair more going short as 40% of our population believe the 7 things I listed above.  So we are going to act exactly as our President did during January and February, we are going to pretend that there is nothing wrong.  We could open up much more safely if everyone wore masks to PROTECT OTHERS.  But the message from the President is a mask is a form of political protest.  SO find a hobby, there won't be college football this fall. Unless you think parents letting their kids risk infection and infecting their families is a risk they are going to take? The reason?  Is too many people view NOT wearing a mask as some sort of a "non-sheep badge of honor" BECAUSE they (like our President) do not grasp the simple fact that they are gong to be a big part of the future spread. The saddest thing is that if our President would simply lead with a good mask wearing example this terrible isolation and economic damage might have been worth it, and we could truly start to mend.  We might have even been able to have college football (slim tough it may have been). Instead we are gonna see a lot of Facebook confessions from our right leaning friends as they do indeed "know somebody" touched by the virus.  Basically the virus is going to start touching white people, and white men in particular more broadly as we reopen.  Don't be surprised to see even Trump donning a mask after it's too late to set a good example. Sucks that it could have been so different.

with the  closing highlight back then The saddest thing is that if our President would simply lead with a good mask wearing example this terrible isolation and economic damage might have been worth it, and we could truly start to mend.  We might have even been able to have college football (slim tough it may have been). Instead we are gonna see a lot of Facebook confessions from our right leaning friends as they do indeed "know somebody" touched by the virus.  Basically the virus is going to start touching white people, and white men in particular more broadly as we reopen.  Don't be surprised to see even Trump donning a mask after it's too late to set a good example. Sucks that it could have been so different. 

IF we had a president that cared about anything about the American people instead of simply denying and avoiding accountability it truly could have been so very, very differeent.  the good news is we now we don't bat at eye at losing 1000 souls a day.  It's actually a "great success story..."

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, HalfSack Horn said:

It’s amazing TV.  Lindell is an absolute joke.  

He wears his religion on his collar, bringing that necklace outside his shirt to make sure you see it.  That's an obvious sign of someone who is getting ready to con you. Or someone who already has.  Anyone who didn't see that coming quite frankly deserves what they get.

• Hook 'Em 2

When we look back 3 years from now the math will show a bunch of "mystery deaths."  Folks that died at home, that dies of surgeries that did not happen, lots and lots of poor non-documented immigrants,  and miscellaneous unexplained deaths that CANNOT BE PROVEN TO BE COVID RELATED!!!!!!!!!  To paraphrase Fox News and Facebook...

The LIE of counting in Republican states will be obvious when the final death count is tallied.  And it will be all because a lot of fairly good men like Greg Abbott turned themselves into political whores. 

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Random medical question:  Are there any studies showing long-term cardio/pulmonary effects popping up in patients who show antibodies but never developed symptoms?

I've been wondering this myself (well, I wasn't limiting my thoughts to those organ systems). My friend's wife is having strange neurological symptoms that they're getting checked out. He was wondering if she has some sort of post-viral syndrome, but she never had any Covid symptoms. I mentioned that stat above about most people being asymptomatic, and we both wondered if asymptomatic carriers can eventually develop some sort of organ toxicity. I've given up on trying to apply my clinical intuition to this virus. It's an enigma.

When we look back 3 years from now the math will show a bunch of "mystery deaths."  Folks that died at home, that dies of surgeries that did not happen, lots and lots of poor non-documented immigrants,  and miscellaneous unexplained deaths that CANNOT BE PROVEN TO BE COVID RELATED!!!!!!!!!  To paraphrase Fox News and Facebook...
The LIE of counting in Republican states will be obvious when the final death count is tallied.  And it will be all because a lot of fairly good men like Greg Abbott turned themselves into political whores. 

Then they weren’t even fairly good men.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’ve avoided watching anything with the pillow guy, but watching the Anderson Cooper interview, that’s maybe the sleaziest thing I’ve ever seen on TV. At least Benny Hinn and the other televangelists have great stage shows.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Mole said:

I’ve avoided watching anything with the pillow guy, but watching the Anderson Cooper interview, that’s maybe the sleaziest thing I’ve ever seen on TV. At least Benny Hinn and the other televangelists have great stage shows.

You just sold two pillows.